The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #441
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I don't quite follow the shortlist idea proposed in the game. Anyway, I'm not going to offer one. If the players want to come up with a shortlist then, by all means, do it if you want. There seems to be quite a lot of scepticism about its merits amongst villagers regardless.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #442
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just wanted to post to say that I will most likely be unable to post at all on the 'Werewolf 3' thread on this coming Sunday. Please don't hang me on the evidence of me not talking.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #443
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Worry not. Most of Sunday should be night-time anyway.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #444
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Is it too late to join in? Oh, I do hope not.......
Old 06-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #445
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would think so for this game we've already received our roles and we have begun play.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:31 AM   #446
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I would like to ask some questions about The Guardian and The Werewolf Hunter roles.

How do Guardian scenes work? Does DAY appear, and the villagers are told nobody is killed? Or is there an exciting cut-scene in which the Mod describes how player X was walking along at night when lots of werewolves jumped out at him, and suddenly the Guardian (masked and robed of course...) leaps out and scares them away?

Similarly, how do Hunter scenes work (when the Hunter is killed by werewolves)? Is nothing revealed until DAY, when the scenes of the previous NIGHT's struggle are revealed? Or is there a cut-scene, describing what goes on?

If I understand correctly, the Hunter still gets a shot if he is lynched by villagers. This would obviously be described at the end of DAY.

What if the Hunter is killed by werewolves, but chooses to shoot a villager as his parting shot? How would that work? Is there a cut scene in which he cunningly escapes wolves, rushes to the suspected villager's home, shoots them through the back, and then gets leapt on by the wolves?

It's just something I've been pondering. Hey, it's a lot more interesting than GCSE Geography.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:53 AM   #447
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand In answer to TGWBS:

Quote:
How do Guardian scenes work? Does DAY appear, and the villagers are told nobody is killed? Or is there an exciting cut-scene in which the Mod describes how player X was walking along at night when lots of werewolves jumped out at him, and suddenly the Guardian (masked and robed of course...) leaps out and scares them away?
No - the Villagers are just told that no one died (which could also mean either that the Cursed Villager was chosen by the Werewolves or that the Werewolves were too slow in notifying the moderator of their choice).

Quote:
Similarly, how do Hunter scenes work (when the Hunter is killed by werewolves)? Is nothing revealed until DAY, when the scenes of the previous NIGHT's struggle are revealed? Or is there a cut-scene, describing what goes on?
The next DAY, the Villagers find the body of the Hunter and the person that the Hunter chose to kill. If the Hunter's victim is an innocent Villager, it is up to the moderator to decide how this happened.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, the Hunter still gets a shot if he is lynched by villagers. This would obviously be described at the end of DAY.
Yes.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:17 AM   #448
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I'll need to get my thinking cap on to come up with a way for the Hunter to be killed by werewolves AND find time during this assault to kill an innocent and sleeping villager. Rest assured, it will be complicated.

As for that other situation mentioned, I had thought this might be the way to go if the werewolves do attack the Cursed villager. I have come up with a 'chilling' scene, but it would involve the other players knowing about it. This is because I have already begun mentioning the SCORE at the end of every kill.

Werewolves: 3
Villagers: 11

....or whatever. And I'd hate to lie, and post something (that there are only 3 werewolves) which the villagers might believe but which is actually false.

So if the Cursed villager is attacked, the other players will know about it.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #449
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril sorry, everyone

Hi, all! I just wanted to apologize for my absence in the game...I had a very, very busy weekend, as in having to take the SAT's, which basically ate my day yesterday. So, I'm sorry, all!
Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #450
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Random assortment of things

Thanks to Eomer and Saucy for clearing up my questions. I have one more for you though.

Can anybody at all be the Moderator? If there are no specific qualifications I need, I would love to Mod a game sometime in the Summer.

Also, I was going to post this poem today. Due to my unfortunate second demise, I'll just post it here today (or it'll go to waste, poor thing).

Fools! Oh woe! The Fishmonger is slain!
A devilry conceived of our own misguided hands
And unguided now we shall remain
Grief lies heavy upon Storyland
No Wisdom to share, no Eyes to See
Alas for Evisse, unjustly killed
The wolves rejoice in their unhappy glee
Rest in peace, and know vengeance shall be fulfilled.

I also never got round to showing you all the Memorial Carrots. Here they are:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp evisse memorial carrot.bmp (96.5 KB, 567 views)
File Type: bmp eomer memorial carrot.bmp (86.6 KB, 578 views)
Old 06-05-2005, 08:42 AM   #451
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Enjoyed the poem(s) and the memorial carrots
Old 06-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #452
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Brilliant. Storyland will be a much poorer place without you!

And yes, anyone can come in off the street and do this. How do you think I got the job?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #453
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

NB: Nothing in this post should be read as implying anything in the current game. It is simply how I had decided to deal with the situation when I moderated the last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
As for that other situation mentioned, I had thought this might be the way to go if the werewolves do attack the Cursed villager. I have come up with a 'chilling' scene, but it would involve the other players knowing about it. This is because I have already begun mentioning the SCORE at the end of every kill.
Eomer, I thought that it would be rather more interesting if the Villagers do not know whether the Guardian has been successful or the Werewolves have attacked the Cursed Villager, in the event that no one dies during the NIGHT.

To account for this, I was going to post (after a NIGHT with no deaths):

Werewolves: 3?
Villagers: 11?

This would imply that either the Guardian had been successful and the score was correctly stated or the Cursed Villager had become a Werewolf, in which case the true score would be:

Werewolves: 4
Villagers: 10

That's the way that I had decided to handle it, but it's up to you how you deal with it in this game.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:17 AM   #454
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

It's certainly an option, but how do the villagers know that there are 3 werewolves to start with anyway?

Or should we just ignore this little bit and remind ourselves that it's only a game? We'll see what happens....

And am I right in thinking that the Guardian's power extends only to assaults by werewolves, and thus does not protect the 'protected' player against any attack by the Hunter?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #455
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Thanks for the dirge and the carrot, TGWBS. So sorry to hear you met an equally tragic fate.
Good luck on the game, everyone. Needless to say I'll be following it closely in my newly aquired ghostly form.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:26 AM   #456
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
It's certainly an option, but how do the villagers know that there are 3 werewolves to start with anyway?
Er - because that's what the score says ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
And am I right in thinking that the Guardian's power extends only to assaults by werewolves, and thus does not protect the 'protected' player against any attack by the Hunter?
Up to you.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #457
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Maybe I should have added a bit to Eomer of the Rohirrim's murder along the lines of : And the werewolves did leave a written contract stating that they were, indeed, three in number.

Needless bureaucracy, you say? Um....what if the contract was written in Eomer's blood?

That actually gives me an idea...
Old 06-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #458
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I know TGWBS is dead, but would it be allright if he still did memorial carrots for the rest of us who meet an early demise? If you're willing, TGWBS, they were great.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #459
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Maybe I should have added a bit to Eomer of the Rohirrim's murder along the lines of : And the werewolves did leave a written contract stating that they were, indeed, three in number.

Needless bureaucracy, you say? Um....what if the contract was written in Eomer's blood?

That actually gives me an idea...
Eomer - I love this game so much, I've got lots of my friends interested. We're starting our own game with me as the Mod, and I had the same idea as you! How wonderful.

Holbytlass - I shall indeed be glad to continue carrots. Werewolf intervention is no reason for good carrots, or good potential carrots, to go to waste.
I'm happy you liked them.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #460
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I hope the games are entertaining.

Isn't it spectacular that the third game already has more posts than the entire second game (even at the stage when there were only 3 deaths)?

Wow.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #461
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
It is rather entertaining -- not to mention dangerously addictive. As the deadline was approaching this morning, I was hunkered in my office, ignoring the knock at my door, and calling out that I would get to my next appointment "in a few minutes..."

Pretty high tension really *heaves a sigh of relief that he survived another day; hopes to survive the night*...
Old 06-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #462
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms already. I know it's early, but I'd like to grab a place in the next game...
Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #463
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I find it fascinating how different a dynamic exist in every game. I agree with Fordim. I was sitting at my desk just refreshing the screen like mad hoping to see something new pop up.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #464
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
I agree with Fordim. I was sitting at my desk just refreshing the screen like mad hoping to see something new pop up.
Ditto.

The Village certainly seems a lot more talkative this time round. I assume that this is down to the players, although then again it could just be the better quality of moderation ...
Old 06-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #465
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
I know the feeling...I spent an edgy day in school...

...I may or may not want a place in the next game, but I do have a suggestion for actual play that you guys might enjoy debating about/adapting for use here...

My friends have picked up the habit of playing werewolf in gmail since I enjoyed the first game here so much (well, reading the first game...). However since we've a rather smaller group of people to recruit players from it's hard for us to get to even 12 players and it quickly becomes boring because it's too easy for the werewolves. To make things more interesting we decided to add some special parts besides "werewolf" and "seer", I mentioned the three here ("hunter", "guardian", "cursed") and while the hunter was immediately voted down (we didn't want to kill more people than absoloutly necessary) everyoen liked the concept of having a guardian and/or a cursed villager. The biggest problem that everyone could see was that with an average of 10 players adding two new parts would make the game "too busy", so we're only adding one...the key being that nobody but the moderator (and, if we have one, the guardian) know which role is being used.

What we're doing is assigning roles such that when the moderator pulls roles out of a hat (I have very traditional friends) there are
2 cards that say "Werewolf"
1 card that says "Seer"
6 cards that say "Villager"
1 card that says "Cursed=heads, Guardian=tails"

so say the "cursed/guardian" card was pulled for me, our moderator would then flip a coin and if it was 'heads' I would be told I was a villager and would only learn elsewise if the werewolves killed me, if it was 'tails' I would be told I was the guardian and play accordingly.

The beauty of this is that the players can't figure out of they're trying to keep the wolves from a cursed villager or their guardian until it's too late...this keeps special stratagies based on the knowledge of both the guardian/cursed player's existance from being used and adds another element of mystery and confusion to the game...

Since here there isn't the same problem of getting enough players this may not be feasible with only three extra roles, but I figured that since our games are learning from your ideas I would share our ideas with you.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #466
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Hey, I have an idea.

How about allowing villagers to write one "letter" per game.

In other words, on a night that a villager is scared of being slain, that villager can pm the game moderator with a "letter" addressed to the townspeople sharing his final thoughts and wishing them well.

Now, if you send the mod a letter and you are not killed you cannot ever send a letter again. You only get one chance.

If you are killed the night you write your letter, the mod posts it the next day. The mod would say something like-

As the villagers stared at Eomer's lifeless body, Kuru noticed a piece of paper beneath his arm.

"Look!" cried Kuru as he picked it up, "It's a letter addressed to us. It reads..."

That way, if the seer was particularly worried about getting killed that night, he could write in his letter "I dreamed of so-and-so and she was a werewolf." That way we could get some guidance.

But if the seer wrote the letter on night 2 and was not killed, and then got killed on night 3, there would be no letter since the seer already used up his one letter.

Do you follow? Think it sounds like a cool idea?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #467
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I think it sounds like a fabulous idea, tp, and I'm not just saying that because you said it. It would be sort of like what some military personnel do before dangerous missions... write a final letter to be forwarded in case they don't come back. Would werewolves be included in the letter writing? In case of a lynching of an actual beast (boy are we bad at that ) would a letter be found on them sending people in all kinds of wrong directions?

Picture last game, and say that the phantom was to get lynched first. A letter is found just before they throw his corpse into a graceless heap on the edge of the woods, and it reads something like this:

If I had only had the time to tell Fordim who should die...
And nobody is aware that Fordim is innocent. It would add yet another layer for the players to unravel.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #468
mormegil
Maundering Mage

In the case of lynching often times the person being lynched has the opportunity to say something. Evisse said something like "well some of you will be crying at least"
Old 06-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #469
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It's true morm. In the first game, each time I was first on the list to be lynched (and those times occured often), I managed to sneak in words of wisdom. Even in the second game when I died so soon, I still got in a few words. But I still like the letter idea. It may just be because I like letters.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #470
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I thought phantom's idea was to be able to write a letter the night you think you will die which seems like a decent idea, I guess the next Mod could consider that, but I'm not sure that writing a letter the day you'll be lynched makes sense. Mainly because you know that you are going to be lynched. I know that in the first game we weren't suppose to say anything after the majority voted but that has changed at least in the 3rd game.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #471
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
but I'm not sure that writing a letter the day you'll be lynched makes sense
I wasn't meaning to suggest a lynching letter. The letter writing thing is a night-only occurance (for people who are slain, not people who are lynched, therefore the wolves would not ever have the opportunity to write one).

But Fea's idea for a wolf-written letter could be quite funny.

For right now, though, I'd only go with night-letters from innocents.

Last edited by the phantom; 06-06-2005 at 03:44 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #472
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

This is freaky.

I've said that I Mod my own game on some different forums, and that I had the same ideas as Eomer. Now, independantly, a friend and I have come up with an idea very similar to the phantom's.

We only had one player, called the Scribe. When he dies, a note he haswritten is revealed. The note is only allowed to have one point. For example, the simplest note would be something like:
"I think tgwbs is a wolf."
A more thoughtful response:
"tgwbs is inconsistent in his posts 14 and 23. I am suspicious..."

In short, it is a scrap from a diary. It just allows the dead Scribe to air one thought after death, to get the villagers thinking.

I know that I would have liked to do this in Werewolf 3, which is partly where the idea stemmed from.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #473
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Well I can see the downside to giving people that opportunity. It allows people not to voice their concerns as openly as maybe they ought to. I understand that it's a one shot deal and if implemented I think it would need to stay that way.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #474
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think there should be a Medium amongst the villagers; someone who could communicate (via PM) with those who have been slaughtered by the wolves. Perhaps the Medium (who, like the seer would be hidden) could choose one dearly departed each night and ask that person a question then that now dead gamer could answer the question (all through the mod of course).
Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #475
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

We don't want to get carried away though. The mod is only one person and can only do so much. The more people the mod is having to feed information to and from complicates the process and makes it harder to get things done.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #476
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I just thought I'd mention that I'm liking the pacing of the current game. People are chatting and stirring things up for a while before the voting really starts. I really like this, because that means that even if Eomer starts the new day right as I'm going to bed, when I wake up and check the thread no votes have been cast yet, so I get the opportunity to blab a bit before the vote every day.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #477
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

See, those irrevocable votes are really working out well.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #478
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
See, those irrevocable votes are really working out well.
Agreed!

However I realize why we do it but I wish that night were a bit quicker. I can't stand it, waiting daily to see what happened over night.

Last edited by mormegil; 06-06-2005 at 10:15 PM.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:56 AM   #479
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I find NIGHT a welcome relief from being glued to my screen.
I too sit and frantically keep pressing refresh during the DAY, waiting for any new news.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:23 AM   #480
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I, too, welcome night if for no other reason than everyone has to stop posting and I might get a chance to catch up! Not that I've made a whole lot of head way.
I also drive myself crazy because it is nearing the night's end and maybe night people have done things quickly and Eomer has already posted. Oh the suspence of who gets it at night is awful!!
I like your sig TGWBS; in other words, ignorance is bliss!!

Last edited by Holbytlass; 06-07-2005 at 05:26 AM.
Holbytlass is offline   Reply With Quote