The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2002, 03:44 PM   #41
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Brinniel-I know what you mean! Whenever I meet someone I haven't seen in a while one of my first questions is: "Do you like LOTR?" Their answer is usually: "LOTR?"(I always forget that non-obsessives don't know the abbreviation [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). I even asked my two cousins if they had heard about it, and they're only five and six; a little young to be interested. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I'm dressing up as well(as an elf, what else? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]
Old 07-11-2002, 12:51 PM   #42
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey ya'll!! I have a delema. I want to have a Lotr themed B-day party, but if i did i know that the people i invite would come but they're not as "interested" (that's the pc word for obsessed) as i am about Lotr so they might not enjoy themselves as much. *sigh* woe is me.

Well to contibute to this here thread I hand-sewed a red velvet cloak, and will procede to put the doors of moria on it in teenie tiny read beeds. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2002, 01:32 PM   #43
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My sister & I are seriously contemplating a 10 hour road trip next April just to see a ballet at Butler University entitled "The Silmaril". Yes, I live for anything and everything Tolkien!
Old 07-12-2002, 11:48 PM   #44
edhel_espyn

Sting

Nevfeniel: about the theater thing? People there just smiled, they thought I was crazy or something /but I am! ;O)/. anyway, a person in front of me turned and smiled, he said "Tolkien fan, huh?"...at least he got it! My cousins still teased me about what I did...but I'm quite proud of that!
Old 07-13-2002, 12:02 AM   #45
edhel_espyn

Silmaril

oh, oh, i have another one: i designed and printed two shirts: one had ELF on it, and the other reads: LOTR IS LIFE...THE REST ARE JUST DETAILS. I had my best friends call be by my elven name (my other friends just call me edhel), and I insisted placing my "One Ring" on a necklace lest it begins corrupting my soul...

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2002, 12:30 AM   #46
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At school my nickname is Gimli... But at my school no one knows how to read...
Old 07-16-2002, 02:21 PM   #47
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Bearing in mind that its Keleborn, not Seleborn, I recently went through a phase of saying Kelery for Celery. hmm...

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:01 PM   #48
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
Sting

On my way to class everyday we drive by this bilboard that says vote for somebody and his last name is Aragon. Everyday I have to look at it twice. eventhough i know it doesnt say aragorn i still think it does.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Galadriel ]
Old 07-16-2002, 11:07 PM   #49
Uialellethwen
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Depths of Her Insane Mind, British Columbia, Canada
Uialellethwen has just left Hobbiton.
  • Obsessive, eh? Well, I probably shouldn't be doing this, because I am obsessive-compulsive - not to mention some other disorders...

Anyways, what have I done?

*went shopping for someones b.day present and ended up buying myself some rather expensive memorabelia and the person a cheap gift. (my mom gave me money for it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

*I talk in riddles without realizing it.

*I start singing Aniron or May it Be (usually Aniron) out loud. All the time, and at the worst times.

*I memorized full scenes from FOTR... even the ones in Sindarin or Quendi...

*I turned my bedroom into a shrine for LOTR.

*I've done more stuff that's obsessive about LOTR and stuff that is obsessive about other things too. Elijah and Orlando to be a few other things. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Good enough?
Old 07-16-2002, 11:24 PM   #50
Uialellethwen
Animated Skeleton

• Oh yeah... I do wear a gold ring on a clunky silver chain around my neck, so everyone I know always has to say something about how crazy I am. Then I just remind them that I am on meds.

But the ring thing isn't because of LOTR, although that sounds saner, but it's because my father gave me the ring... It's hard to explain... There's a whole big thing behind the scenes, if you know what I mean.

And yes, I am guilty of having LOTR dreams. None which are less than the rating of 18A, of course. I have almost total control over them...
    But LOTR isn't the only movies/books that I am absolutely mad over...

Two words. (Please don't kill me for saying it!) Harry Potter.
    I just started having dreams about it. Pretty cool. I made out with Harry and Draco (not at the same time! Eew!)

Anyways... I've done some crazy stuff like that... Oh, and I have already planned what my friends and I are doing for the premier of TTT. Of course, I'm making them dress up in costume (I'm either going as an elf or myself - a LOTR freak. I actually have those two costumes. Almost done making them. As in starting to make them. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Any suggestions on which I should go as?) and then we're taking a limo to the theater downtown for the first showing. Unfortunately, I can't buy the tickets yet! Ah! Maybe in a month I can. Blame the box office!
Oh yeah, don't kill me for being a SW and HP freak too!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:03 PM   #51
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

List of obsessive things Elenna has done:

1) spent 200 dollars on fabric for my TTT costume. (I'll be paying my dad back till I'm 30)

2) bought one of those cheap ring reproductions, wore it to school and danced around saying "you can't see me"

3) scream at mean people "Go back to the shadow, for you shall not pass!"

4) smacked someone for making fun of Ian McKellen for being gay.

5) smacked someone for saying that the elves were all women

6) convinced everyone to call me Elenna instead of my real name

7) am working a summer job to buy a sword

8) wrote music for most of the LOTR songs and randomly break out into A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!

Does this make me obsessed?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:58 PM   #52
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I work at a movie theater. Trust me, we DO NOT care if you dress up. It's something to talk about when its dead there, but thats about it.
We usually get in free to see the movies, but i couldnt get in free opening night, so i had to pay full price to get me and my dad (was also a huge LOTR fan as a kid) in. I would sneak into the theater all the time to watch the preview, which would in evitably turn me into a grinning zombie during the course of said trailer. Just before i saw the movie (as in 10 minute before getting in the car to go) i was hopping around like a 5 year old kid that had to go to the bathroom.
What else...i sing May it be and In Dreams to myself, i tabbed out the theme to the movie on guitar, and that idea of the ring on the chain sounds really appealing to me. I have mentally come up with a fan fic that could fill a whole book, and would attempt if i had never tried it before and kinda trailed off after 60 pages.
if anyone wants the guitar tabes for the movie theme, PM me.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #53
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

More signs that I am obsessed:

-have a desire for pointy ears

-sing In Dream when no one is around

-wish I could change my birth name to Brinn

-I squeal with delight each time I find something LOTR related in magazines and read the sentence over and over.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:27 PM   #54
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

You're more annoyi... I mean obsessed than I am!! Hey, at least nobody here walks into a room and is greeted with, "NO MORE ABOUT LORD OF THE RINGS!!!" That'd be really bad. Okay, things that make me obsessive:

-I come here every chance I get, which makes me quite a hermit.
-I come into semi-fantasy themed shops just to see what they have on LotR.
-I am offended whenever I hear someone insult elves, as I am one (no, I don't WISH I was one, I AM one)
-My dad cannot call me his precious anymore without adding a disclaimer
-I have grown to dislike fairy-tales where elves are little Santa elves with candy cane-striped kneesocks, ears that could sail a ship, and are always dancing about in the stupidest ways.
-I have grown to dislike any fantasy world in which elves are impish folk, or in which dwarves are anything other than Tolkien's dwarves.
-I say, "O Iluvatar help you" instead of "Oh for the love of God" now.
-I am accustomed to drawing pointy ears in all of my people sketches.
-I draw everyone with long hair put back elvish-style.
-I just saw the movie for the 5th time.
-I haven't listened to any CD besides the soundtrack for the movie in three months.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:44 PM   #55
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

The Eye

Ahhhhhh!!! Today I had to do all I could do to keep myself from slapping my friend. She saw the little gold ring (the one that comes from the bookmarks) on a chain and asked me why I always wear it. I told her it was from Lotr. She actually made the wistake of telling me she DID NOT want to see the movie. She thought it was for dorks and little kids. RRRRRR!!! I so wanted to slap her.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:53 PM   #56
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

*In really heated tones* Ooh! Ooh! Ooh, so ya wanna mess with this, huh? Oh, you asked for it!!! I would slap her too if she wasn't from clear across the country! The nerve of that girl! How dare she call us dorks and little kids!!! And I suppose she's into Harry Potter! Well, she can say whatever she wants, that Lord of the Rings Nazi! *cracks knuckles loudly*

*Cools down* Whew, okay, just had to get that out. That hit me in the worst possible spot. Nobody calls the One Ringers dorks!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:02 AM   #57
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Reasons Elenna thinks she is part elf.

1) i have pointy ears. Naturally. They just, I don't know...point!

2) An intrinsic dislike of the color black. Sorry, BW.

3) When I tried archery for the first time at camp, I could hit the inner ring and bullseye of the target from my first shot.

4) I ride horses and sometimes they respond to noro lim!

5) I don't consider Elijah Wood hot. That could just be common sense, though.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:51 PM   #58
Uialellethwen
Animated Skeleton

Ok, if I met Elijah Wood or Orlando Bllom, I would cry. I would cry! Then, I'd ask them if I could r*pe them... If I ask politely, they will say yes... Am I crazy yet??? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 03:57 PM   #59
Kaze
Haunting Spirit

Kaze has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Obsessive behavior?

For one of the book reports I had to do this year, I had to give a speech as a character from whatever book I was reading. So I made myself a hobbit costume and pretended to be Pippin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 07:19 PM   #60
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Wow, this is the longest any of my topics have ever gone! I'm so proud! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] 2 whole pages! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:06 PM   #61
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

The Eye

Errr!!! THis girl is really getting on my nerves. Today i was forced to remove the chain with the ring on it, for our concert. (we had to look nice, so they put it) apperently it didnt go with my outfit. (we had to wear all black) She made fun of me because i insisted that it must not be taken off, and that if i did take it off then the nazgul would come for the ring and ruin our concert. In the end i put up a really good argument and got to keep the ring on, (though it had to be unseen.)
Old 07-19-2002, 06:25 AM   #62
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
Today I had to do all I could do to keep myself from slapping my friend.
Galadriel, next time that girl makes fun of you, slap her. No, not really! I'm just kidding. What you should really do is just ignore her. She only wants a reaction. If you don't give her one, she'll get bored with making fun of you, and leave you alone. It works like a charm with my brother. By the way, if she's your friend, she isn't a very good one if she makes fun of you.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:50 AM   #63
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
I may not have done something obsessive, but I do a lot of weird things.
For example, my English, (which used to be like every teenagers,) now sounds more like ... well, a bit like Tolkiens. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Two weeks ago I had made a personal t-shirt, and I chose it to say "Lúthien Melephel" (my Elvish names) instead of just "Anne". That may not sound of much, but with a group of 50 ignorants it is very brave! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
I constantly practise my Gollum and my Elvish, though I'm not as good as one could wish. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Everytime I get the chance to touch a computer I log on to BD [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I totally freaked out because a friend of mine bought a lot card game with LotR, but she didn't tell me until we had left all opportunities for finding one in the next 5 years or so!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Since december I've cut out every single article or whatever which mentions LotR. That now means I have loads of stuff about Spiderman, Star Wars and even a Danish writer lying all over my room. (They say Tolkien would have disliked her - but they mention his name!!)
I'm driving my mother insane, 'cause now I've been here for 2 hours since I promised her to hurry up... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: Melephelwen ]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:31 PM   #64
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

The Eye

Guess what!! Today I saw this girl in my class with one of those gold rings (the bookmark ones) on a chain around her neck!! Yeah!!! I'm not the only Tolkien fan in my class!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 06:44 PM   #65
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

The Eye

Today my mom and I were at walmart and we saw these really cool things, kinda like signs but made of cardboard, of lotr characters. THere was gandalf, aragorn, frodo, and arwen... Since i'm totally obsessed i begged my mom to ask the store manager if i could have one of them... He reluctantly said okay after I begged and gave my sad puppy dog eyes. He let me have one of the aragorn ones... It's sooooo cool!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #66
maleliel
Animated Skeleton

maleliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm always called obsessed at school! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I always bring LotR up in conversations too!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My sister is also obsessed and she bought a tacky plastic sword and would wave it around quoting Aragorn!!! She broke it the other day and fixed it with sellotape and now she's always saying it's reforged!!! It's nice to have an obsessed sister!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Also, me, my sister and our friend made our own trailor for FotR and filmed it! It was rubbish but we like it!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] We dressed in costumes and everything!!!
Yes I think I truly am OBSESSED!!! I'm obsessed and damn proud of it!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2002, 09:16 PM   #67
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Okay, one more obsessed thing to add to the list: How many of you here have seen the Addams Family? *several people raise hands* Well, my dad was taking a nap the other day, and being that he has a deep voice, and he started mumbling in his sleep, I told him afterward that he sounded like Lurch, but I called him Lurtz instead [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2002, 05:23 AM   #68
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

Hey galadriel what kind of concert was this you had to where all black and who exactly was telling you that you ahd to take of the one ring!! What does it have to do with her that you are the keeper of the one ring?!?!?! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 07-24-2002, 05:26 AM   #69
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

P.S. *in sing song voice* Guess what i'm getting for my birthday That's right LotR:FotR woohoo I am sooo lucky !!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It comes out on video the day before my B-Day if i'm not mistaken!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 07-26-2002, 07:20 PM   #70
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Yay! I'm back, and I missed you guys! Anyways, I'm just checking to see how my topic is doing. Nice to see I'm not the only one who's obsessed, even though I know I'm not the only one.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:32 PM   #71
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

The Eye

Lady_Báin, it was an orchestra concert... and for the concert the seniors decided to make everyone wear all black... The teacher told me to take off the ring... I didnt so oh well....
Old 07-26-2002, 08:24 PM   #72
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Mrs. Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, I like LOTR, Harry Potter, and Star Wars. I went through a recent Spider-man obsession. My 'obssessions' turn into fanfic.

My obssessive things:

1. Took the One Ring off the bookmark and put it on spare gold necklace chain.
2. Saw LOTR:FOTR five times (The most I've ever seen a movie)
3. Wore said Ring probably twice to the theater.
4. Might be an Elf or a Hobbit for Halloween.
5. Thought of Saruman in Orthanc during Star Wars Episode II
6. Might dress up as an Elf for The Two Towers.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:16 PM   #73
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting

I'm obsesed with the Ringwraiths and Gollum! Yeah, I can imitate the Ringwraith scream perfectly and can scare the living hell outta anyone with it. And the second, third, and fourth times I saw the movie, I repeated every line Gollum says. Plus, its fun to sit in the very top seat of the theatre and when the credits is scrolling, make fun shadow puppets on the screen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Oh yeah, I am sewing a Nazgul robe for Halloween. O, I AM too old for trick-or-treating, but its fun hiding in bushes and doing the Nazgul scream and watching kiddies run away with wettened pants, yesssss... LOL.
I'm also wearing the said costume to the TT premiere in my city.

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: The Green Ringwraith ]
Old 07-26-2002, 09:57 PM   #74
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hee hee hee! this reminds me of another topic where people were talking about crazy LOTR shenanigans-i forget the name. all i can say is i envy the people who saw it 28 times. i'd pay just to see the battle scene at the beginning. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2002, 10:35 AM   #75
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
but its fun hiding in bushes and doing the Nazgul scream and watching kiddies run away with wettened pants
That is so mean! I wish I could do that! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 07-27-2002, 03:00 PM   #76
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Silmaril

Ooh, that sounds fun! Can I come with you? I can do a perfect Gollum-voice!
Old 07-29-2002, 12:16 AM   #77
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

The Eye

Okay I didnt really want to start a topic to ask one odd question, so i figured it's kinda obsessive so why not ask it here.... Gosh I can ramble...
Anyway i want to change my aim screen name, and was thinking something having to do with lotr... i'm not very creative so... any sugestions??????
Old 07-29-2002, 05:06 AM   #78
Halbereth Diagona
Wight

Halbereth Diagona has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Halbereth Diagona Send a message via AIM to Halbereth Diagona
Tolkien

1. When I am on the net, I only ever go on Barrowdowns
2. I think I'm an elf....
3. I always manage to bring LOTR into conversations.
I wish I had pointed ears...Ros, where did you get them?
4. I nearly always dream about LOTR
Halbereth Diagona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:47 AM   #79
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I had a really scary dream the other night- Sauron was in my backyard! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Two of my friends and I somehow knew Sauron was at my home somewhere, taking the form of something, so we were searching for him (stupid idea, I know, but I get stupider later), and suddenly my mom calls out from the backyard saying she found him. We rush outside and she's being dive-bombed by this white hawk. I rush over to my mom, the hawk lands on the ground about 5 feet away, and my friends jump in the pool (don't ask me why). Here's where I get stupider: I start to taunt the hawk, saying, "You're gonna DIE!" and "You're gonna die TODAY!" But the hawk did nothing. It was weird. Then I woke up.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:34 PM   #80
Lady_Báin
Wight

Sting

woa that is completely strange Nevfeniel but oddly entertaining hmmm....

I am going to be (my version of) a female Dwarf for halloween.