Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #81
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

The morning of Pelien's Luncheon

Tíriel rose early the next morning, throwing open the curtains on the tall windows in her sisters bedchamber. The light fell in a long golden rectangle across Síriel's sleeping face, making her look younger than she was, her dark eyelashes curled on her cheeks. Tíriel smiled at her, before throwing open the balcony doors and stepping out onto the small platform. The balcony overlooked a private garden, and Tíriel stood there a moment, watching the sunrise over the city before she returned inside.

Síriel's once peaceful face was now twisted with annoyance and she'd thrown one arm over her eyes. "Tír, the light... 's too early." she muttered with great irritation, before pulling the bedsheet up over her face and working her way back down into the covers.

"'Course not." Tíriel replied, matter of factly, yanking the covers down leaving Síriel sullenly laying on the bed, her shift worked up around her thighs and her dark hair straggling loose across the pillow. The scowl on her face perfected the picture of a spoiled little girl. Giggling fondly, Tíriel threw herself on top of her younger sister, tickling her until she squirmed. So hard she squirmed, that she slipped over the edge of the bed and sprawled on the floor. Tíriel peered over the edge of the matress, expecting to find her sister in a raging temper. But the face that greeted her was laughing, and Síriel's grey eyes sparkled with fun.

Picking herself up off the floor, she smoothed her rumpled shift and gave Tíriel a stern glance. "If we don't hurry up, missy, we certainly won't be ready in time for that luncheon." She moved haughtily to the wardrobe and flung open the doors.

Bounding up from the bed, Tíriel laughed, "You brat." Stalking idignantly, she went into the washroom and began brushing her long hair out.

One gloved hand politely rapped at the door of Pelien and Sador's townhouse. Síriel stood back from the step as Tíriel of the perfect manners moved forward to greet their hostess. Following her lead, Tiriel stepped forward and kissed Pelien on the cheek, before following Tíriel into the parlor.

Pelien buzzed about the house importantly, tossing off lines of politely rehearsed small talk, while her daughter Adrama sat in the parlor beaming sunnily and looking positively gorgeous. Síriel was fond of the girl, but she thought more color would suit her better. She seemed to follow Tíriel's rule of wearing mostly creams and greys. The two in fact, were dressed much alike this morning, Adrama in cream and black, and Tír in pearly grey and black. Síriel flattered herself that not every complexion could pull off the deep gold of her gown. She had chosen the gown specially, as it was a color and cut that neither Finduilas or Lady Dryea would ever be able to wear. It never hurt to stay far ahead of the competition, she thought idly, as she sipped a first cup of tea and played idly with the beaded fringe on her purse.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 07-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #82
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Dryea finished her tea and placed the empty cup and saucer on the table as she stood.

“Well I’m not one to jump to conclusions,” she said, commenting on the Finduilas rumors Elena had brought up. “It’s been pleasant Elena, and I’ll see you later then at the luncheon?” The student nodded and bid Dryea a temporary farewell as she disappeared back into the house to prepare to return to the Morthaniawen Estate.

The morning had grown even more pleasant during her sit with Elena. The sunlight now shown in through the windows making an antique yellow pattern on the walls and tapestries that lined the corridors leading to her chambers. Dryea stopped in front of one tapestry particularly and examined it with a critical eye. The focus of the weaving was not that of a political hero, but of a war hero. A general it seemed of some sort, one often spoken of by Rhircyn though Dryea could not recall his name. Mounted on a war-horse in paralyzed prance, his sword rose above his head in mid-swing, he exaggerated the greatness of a past that was Gondor.

It was this tapestry that had triggered something of Dryea’s memory. It was of great similarity to a painting that had once hung in her own home, or that of her mother’s late husband, in Umbar. The portrait there was of a sea captain in the likeness of her grandfather. He was not atop a war-horse but clinging to the shrouds of the foremast of his ship; his auburn hair and captain’s coat billowing behind him in the ocean wind.

It was the only sentimental item of her grandfather’s things Dryea owned. It was now rolled up carefully in a cylinder container, hidden in one of the many secret storage rooms in her estate. Her Estate!

Goodness! She had spent so much time thinking on the portrait and gazing at the tapestry that she had lapsed in memory of her original objective. Picking up her skirts she hurried the rest of the way to her room. When she got there Rheaite had already gotten her trunk out and lined it with sandalwood-rose paper to keep the dresses and things fresh smelling.

“Oh thank you Rhe, I had completely forgotten!” Rushing to her desk, she began to distinguish the ornaments and cosmetics that were hers from those of the steward’s that belonged in the guestroom. Soon all her smaller possessions, including her perfume, jewelry, brush and hand mirror, were stowed away into the bottom drawer of her trunk and Rhe began to place her clothing into the top and largest part.

“Are you going to change for the luncheon Lady?” she asked, placing a thing piece of fabric paper over the rose coloured dress she had just placed in the trunk.

“Oh, um,” Dryea stepped back from her vanity and turned to look into the full-length mirror by her closet. “Do you think I should?” Rhe hesitated. She didn’t like answering questions that asked for her opinion, afraid that she would be offensive.

“I do not see reason to change,” she said gently. “But if you feel as though difference would do you well then do as you wish.” Dryea smiled.

“Good answer. Were I to change, what color do you think would best suit me this fine day?” The corners of Rhe’s mouth turned up, a good honest question if answered innocently.

“Well, perhaps a pale dress of lavender or green. Yes green would set of your beautiful hair. Ooh, and yours has miniature blue flowers on the trimming, perfect for your eyes!” Dryea beamed.

“Should I keep out the sapphire necklace then?” Rhe nodded, placing the dress tenderly on the bed along with the gloves, fan, and delicate hair ornaments. It was at this happy moment that Ruiel had decided to call on her daughter. When she entered dressed in her brunette finery, she evaluated her eldest daughter’s progress.

“I am nearly through with my loading up,” began Dryea stiffly, immediately kicking herself for continuing her habit of stating the obvious when with her mother. Only Ruiel had the uncanny ability to make Dryea look a fool.

“I see that,” Lady Morthaniawen pointed out. “I trust then, you have not forgotten about the luncheon with Lady Pelien and her daughter?”

“No I haven’t.” There was an uncomfortable moment of silence in which the only sounds were the ruffling of silks and lace as Rhe continued to pack things into Dryea’s trunk. Ruiel continued to stand still looking both regal and wise, though deceptively relaxed and innocuous. It was satisfying to Dryea to know that her mother was truly preoccupied with their intention and the means in which to fulfill it now that Finduilas was here to intercept their goal. She half-heartedly wished that her mother was gentler, someone to whom she could confide in instead of obey and respond to as though she was a commanding officer.

“Well I still have to check up on your sister then meet back in my temporary room before we leave for Pelien’s. It would be prudent that we arrive together.” With that she left the room, leaving Dryea to furrow her brow and wish there was a way to break through her mother’s stone durable personality. The fact is there wasn’t, and she would have to convert her own personality in order to please her mother so that she would accept her daughter as an equal. Only then could they achieve their goal.

A soft double clicking sound came from where Rheaite stood over the trunk at the foot of the bed and Dryea turned to see her checking the locks and that all was secure inside the luggage.

“It’s finished Lady. Shall I call a footman up to carry it down to the carriage?”

“No,” answered Dryea slightly. “I don’t want it out of my room for so long. Locks can be broken.” Rheaite did not need to ask about the reason for Dryea’s concern for she knew of the items stashed in the secret level just above her small possessions and under her dresses. If this compartment was found out, which was highly unlikely anyhow, and the Corsair memorabilia along with the many potion recipes discovered, the identity of the simple Dol Amroth noblewoman would be uncovered. “Once the luncheon is over, and we are ready to leave, I shall over see that my trunk is taken care of. Those however,” she pointed to the two boxes by the door. One contained two bottles of her favorite type of sherry and the other a present from Rhir meant for her cat whom she had left at the manor. “Those you can take down to the carriage. They are not trivial belongings. Thank you Rhe.” The maid nodded and took the handles of each box firmly in hand, and exited the room.

All this done, Dryea checked that she had everything she would need until she had access to her belongings again. The lady placed the key to her trunk in the small pocket that was cleverly hidden inside her bodice along with the key to her room and those necessary to access all the little crannies of her own home: six keys in all. Privacy was very important in her case.

A second, unexpected knock came at the door. Dryea started and thought quickly of who it could be. Unable to guess she told the caller to enter.

“I dare not Lady. It is disreputable for a man to be in a single woman’s chamber.” It was Rhir. Excited, she ran to the door and threw it open.

“I was wondering if you’d show!” she exclaimed. The man smiled, his handsome face alight.

“My that dress is becoming of you Dryea.” He stepped back so as to get a complete view of her new ensemble. “Simply stunning.”

“Oh thank you,” she said naively. “You won’t come in then? I’ve got to be gone soon anyhow, it won’t be long...” Rhir smiled mysteriously.

“If it’s not too long.” Dryea beamed triumphantly and moved to the window table where the original decanter of dormant wine stood with four beakers. One she filled and handed to Rhir who thanked her politely.

“Where is it that you are going so soon?” he asked, taking a cozy seat beside her on the settee. Dryea leaned into the cushion, wishing as Rhir sat beside her there wasn’t somewhere for her to be.

“Just a small lady’s lunch,” she sighed. Rhir shifted the glass from his left to right hand, encircling her shoulders with his free arm.

“Anything cancelable?” he asked hopefully. Dryea leaned into the crook of his arm.

“I wish,” she purred. Then, regaining her composure somewhat suddenly, she stood and patted her hair with her fingertips. “But no, no it’s very important I go. You know how it is.” Rhir laughed faintly.

“I don’t know, but if you can’t you can’t,” he stood, placing his half drunk glass back in its place, smoothing out his jacket. “I’ll see you later then?” He brushed a fashionably loose curl out of her face and kissed her farewell. She walked with him to the door and watched painfully as he retreated down the hall.

When he was out of sight, she sighed contemptuously and returned to her bed, putting on the gloves and clasping the fan to her skirt so that it hung, almost hidden in one of the folds. Then from within her bodice she retrieved the key and locked her guest chamber door firmly behind her. Turning gracefully and slipping the skeleton key back in its place as she did so, she made towards her mother’s room to wait until it was time for the luncheon to begin.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:18 PM   #83
Ealasaid
Wight

Ealasaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As Averyll returned from her morning walk, she felt more tired and perplexed than refreshed. The things the baker had said bothered her. She needed to find out for herself if other people were indeed passing foul rumors about Lady Finduilas, or if the baker was just an old windbag. Judging by his air of confidence, she had her doubts. On her way back through the streets, she took several detours through other shops, pretending to browse, but listening carefully for any talk of the party the night before or of Finduilas. What she heard made her hurry in search of Finduilas' other ladies when she got back to her rooms. She found Eleniel and Vieana outside on one of the terraces that overlooked the white city.

"There you are!" exclaimed Veiana as Averyll hurried to where the other two ladies waited. "We were beginning to think you had hopped a ship back to Dol Amroth!"

Averyll smiled. "Me? Never!" But she winked at them both. They knew how much she missed her home city and her toddler son that she had been compelled to leave behind.

As she drew nearer to them, both Elen and Vieana edged in close. Vieana tilted her head in the direction of the guards who stood on post at either end of the terrace.

"Have you noticed anything odd about the guards?" she asked Averyll.

Trying to be subtle, Averyll glanced in their direction. Absorbed in her own set of questions, she had not paid much attention to the guards. "Like what?"

"Like the way they have been acting toward the Minas Tirith guards."

She shook her head. "How have they been acting?"

"Cold. Like they don't trust one another. It's very strange." Vieana frowned. "My husband has always spoken well of Minas Tirth's guards."

Averyll looked again, but the guards seemed fine at the moment. Of course, there were no Minas Tirith guards on the terrace at the moment, so, why wouldn't they? She decided to watch them in the future, to see what Vieana referred to for herself. It was decidedly odd.

"How strange!" she said finally. "I'll pay closer attention in the future. But listen to this!" She bent even closer to Elen and Vieana, dropping her voice to whisper. "Someone has started a rumor about Finduilas. Outside the residence, they are saying that she is an imposter."

Both of the other ladies, stepped back in surprise. "An imposter!" exclaimed Elen. "What do you mean?"

"They say she is not even from Dol Amroth."

"Well, where would she be from if not from there?"

Averyll shrugged. "I don't know. Should we tell Finduilas? Or Tessa? The whole thing seems malicious to me. I don't know quite what to think."
Old 07-17-2003, 06:55 PM   #84
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pelien's Luncheon

Dryea's appearance signalled the end to Ruiel's inclination towards stiff patience. She watched her daughter enter, flawlessly elegant and beautiful and nodded slowly in approval.

"Fairest jewel in all of Arda, as should be," she admitted, noting the flush of her daughter's cheeks. "Of course, had you observed the courtesy of punctuality, you would not have needed to run like an unruly child in order to meet me," she finished. Dryea shook her head, protesting her innocence. "But I did not run, mother!"

Indeed, Ruiel inwardly said as another thought shot through like swift lightening. Surely that young callow fool had not intruded here, right under her nose!

"Then perhaps after this luncheon of Pelien's it is best you rest somewhat. Becoming as a peaked appearance is on you, Dryea, I will not have an unseasonable chill rendering you bedridden at this important time." Ruiel turned to collect her intricate stole of beaded lace, autumn colours in the beads firing in the bright mid-morning light as she wrapped it around her shoulders. She missed the strange mixture of relief, bitter disappointment and even pain in her daughter's face as she realised what truly concerned her mother was not the health of her daughter. By the time Ruiel had her stole in place, Dryea had schooled her features into a more acceptable serenity.

"I cannot wait for your younger sister any longer. Ranne will see that Alethea gets herself to the luncheon, or both will regret it," Ruiel said with clear impatience. Dryea nodded and offered an obedient "Yes, Mother," as she inwardly pleased for Alethea to appear as immediately as she may, perhaps even 5 minutes ago if she could contrive it.

Together, mother and daughter swept out into the halls and made their way to Pelion's apartments. Their fans were languidly waving before their faces, concealing their lips as they spoke guardedly.

"You are aware that the rumours have grown apace," Ruiel stated demurrly, pointing out a porcelain vase that stood proudly on display upon a marble plinth.
"Yes, mother," Dryea confirmed, nodding her appreciate of the vase's elegant sophisication in it curved design.
"Ranne is well placed in close proximity to the bride," Ruiel continued as the nodded at whatever new purloined artwork appeared next. Ironically, it was a piece of work from Umbar, proudly flouted for all Gondorian nobles to see. Anger flashed through Ruiel that she tightly wound back into place. She needed her wits to deal with Pelien, and hot anger ill served for this.

"Is that wise," Dryea asked with surprising directness.
"It was not my doing, but most fortuitous daughter," Ruiel firmly replied. Pelien's apartments were very near. "You know what we must do here," Ruiel added. It was a difficult line to walk. They must appear as accessible and safe to Finduilias as she became further alienated in her new court. They must befriend those nobles from Dol Amroth to further embed their assumed identities. Certainly that was progressing well for many remembered Morthaniawen from the long years spent in Dol Amroth still. A opportunity to be taken advantage of. A wary eye must be kept on Gondor too. Minas Tirith must never suspect Morthaniawen was other than the ally it had thus far come to believe was so.

Only ensconsed in the bosoms of the competing factions could they remain aware of the shifting tides of opinion and politics. To play them off, fracturing Gondor from within, that was their game. The Steward overthrown and his nobles in disarray, civil strife, a country weakened from within. It was no easy task to fight this war within the confines of civilised court where subtle battle was given at luncheons and feasts.

The doors to Pelien's apartments were thrown back as they arrived. Dryea and Ruiel entered with graceful smiles of warmth, dazzling in their refined opulence. Once again, it was with a keen eye that Ruiel studied who had arrived. Pelien's guests would tell her much, and those omitted or absent more. Ranne had best find Alethea and attend herself soon, lest valuable information be lost to tardy dawdling.

"Lady Pelien," Ruiel purred in stark contrast to her inner thoughts, "what a pleasant function you have arranged here. Quite stylish, as ever. You have met my daughter, Dryea, I hope."

Dryea smiled with innocent charm, luminous amongst those gathered, as she curtsied for Pelien.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Elora ]

[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: Elora ]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 07-17-2003, 06:57 PM   #85
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Before the Luncheon

"May I escort the lovely Lady Vernathitia to the luncheon this afternoon?"

The sudden voice behind her as she put the finishing touches on a bueatiful strawberry treacle made Vern jump, ruining the flowering effect she was attempting with the cream. She didn't have to turn around to know who it was, so she began to yell even before she looked sadly down at the blob of cream on treacle before her. "Rhodry! You little bloodboil! What were you doing sneaking up on me!?"

The young man with reddish blonde hair in front of her rose from a neat bow, wearing a very mischievious grin, one that almost always played around his mildly handsome face. He would have been quite normal looking without that smile, but with it...Vern had to admit, he was very attractive. It was no wonder why he wore it so often; it did have an effect on many women. But now, as he stared into Vern's red face, it had no effect at all...which made him grin all the more.

"Why Lady Vernathitia! I knew you had such excellent hearing, as all fair Ladies do, and doubted that I would catch you unawares. I am greatly surprised, I must say!" He paused a moment to adorn a very fake agitated look on his face. "It must be this confounded kitchen. All these pesky servants running about as loud as can be." He gave a small tsking noise, and actually managed to keep a straight face. Vern would've found it amusing if he had not ruined her treacle. Excellent hearing like all fair Ladies? What in the name of Illuvatar...? The man actually opened his mouth to continue, but before he could continue, Vern cut him off with enraged yells.

"Stop your brainless chattering, you woolheaded domnoddy! And put this on!" She threw an apron at him, hitting him hard in that handsome grinning face. She had no idea why she had brought him along... Well, actually she did. He was, unbelievably, an excellent help in picking up gossip. Well, Rhodry had a way with people, making them feel at ease...unfortunately for them...

During the Luncheon

Needless to say, Vern had Rhodry pinned in the kitchen, and she oversaw the serving, taking part herself. What was done right was what was done yourself. Well, that, and she was quite interested in what this "luncheon" could mean. The timing was all too convenient. Vern was just glad she was invited to cook; perhaps Emilia had mentioned to Pelien about Vern's resourcefulness. Yes, she could be quite resourceful, though it had taken enough time for these high and noble Ladies to realize, that, she thought sourly. She could hear the excited talk from the other room, anouncing the arrivals of various Ladies. They all seemed so cheery; Vern knew something was up...and she doubted this was to be at all a plaesant gathering.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 07-17-2003, 07:54 PM   #86
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

"They say she is not even from Dol Amroth." Averyll said.

"Well, where would she be from if not from there?"

"I don't know. Should we tell Finduilas? Or Tessa? The whole thing seems malicious to me. I don't know quite what to think."

Not from Dol Amroth! Of course she was from Dol Amroth. Who would say that she wasn’t, Elen thought as she listened intently of what Averyll spoke. First the Dol Amroth Guards were acting strange, now whispers of Finduilas not being from Do Amroth.

“What is going on in Gondor!” she exclaimed. “Of everything I have read about Gondor, it always said that the people of the cities were so kind. Even to outsiders like us! They certainly aren’t living up to reputation.” The other two girls nodded in agreement.

What should they do about it? To tell Finduilas, it might shatter her confidence, and Tessa may tell Finduilas if we tell her. But if they didn’t, Finduilas might find out for herself.

“What should we do?” Vienna said.

“Lets not tell Finduilas or Tessa yet, but let’s not keep it a secret forever”. Eleniel said. She worried what would happen if Finduilas found out.

“On the subject of Finduilas, do you by any chance no where she is?” Vienna said.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #87
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"Well if we can't find her" spoke Vieana "we should at least eat, I know I am at least not prepared to starve for the princess of Dol Amroth becuase she takes it in her liberty to be late for meeting us; however she may have a perfectly good reason, but at the same time I have never been so hungry in all my life. So hungry in fact I have been light headed all morning."

"Very true" said Averyll taking up stride beside her and Elen who followed remarked, "And, Dardanir never mentioned any stress in the Minas Tirith guards? I find that strange."

"Never" remarked Vieana. "My husband has always spoke highly of them, as I said before. Perhaps I should write to him and get him here, I'm sure he could explain a lot of what is going on."

"Would that be wise at this point in time? He has to ask his father the General for permission to come here, and if he were to say something to his father it may put a stick on relations." said Averyll.

"Well, who can we tell? Aomething is off. Perhaps the guards know about the lies that have spread. Untrue of course. Ive known her all my life! And my father has always known the prince, as greedy as my father is, he still keeps up appearances," frowned Vieana.

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #88
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Pelion’s apartments were furnished stylishly with two sets of pale rose settees and magnificent drapes that reached the floor, coloured to offset the floral patterns in the furniture. A small table stood under each of the three large windows on which stood an elegant jar with two-dozen season flowers. It was not unlike the Morthaniawen parlor at the estate and Dryea found it easy to adjust to.

Upon entering she saw that Tiriel and Siriel had already arrived. Dryea had been disappointed early on that she was not able to form a close relationship with either like she had with some of the younger nobles. The reason for this evasion was seemingly clear in Dryea’s opinion: as daughters of the steward, they obviously saw themselves superior, therefore affectedly choosing their friends. Her mother had said this wasn’t entirely so but Dryea didn’t see any other rationale why not.

Though no one else had noticed, a faint, pleasing smile had crept onto Dryea’s face as she saw Siriel’s choice of gown: gold, very much like the gown Dryea had worn this morning though perhaps a slightly lighter shade. It was unwise in the lady’s opinion to be too outspoken so early after a ball. It would give people the wrong impression that one was trying to regain some of the attention one had lost the night before. However, Dryea had to admit at least silently to herself that Siriel did look particularly stunning this morning.

Now that she thought more clearly about it, Dryea wondered if Siriel and hers very slight animosity was known widely. She hoped not. Perhaps this luncheon would be a good time to make amends.

Dryea sat beside her mother silently at first until conversation was directed towards her. Then she would reply sociably instead of the stiff politeness usually employed by other noblewoman. The women gathered here were not strangers and once all had arrived, Dryea was sure that the tête-à-tête would be comfortable and personal feelings about the situation most eager to be discussed would be shared.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:41 AM   #89
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pelien's Luncheon

Pelien was positioned in her high-backed chair, so that the other Ladies were seated on either side of her on the matching floral sofas. If they had been sitting at a long table, Pelien would have been at the head, just as she preferred. The women chatted about general happenings and the weather, however, they all knew what conversation was to come, and Pelien was only waiting for the others to arrive before bringing up Finduilas.

Rummel brought a large silver tray with tea and set it on the long, oval table that sat between the sofas. A small rose pattern crept along the rim of each cup and the tall, slender teapot. As she began to lift the delicate pot, Pelien touched the servant’s arm and motioned for her to leave it. Keeping her eyes lowered in respect, Rummel curtsied and returned to the kitchen.

“I do hope you will have some tea,” Pelien charmingly smiled at the other women as she poured the steaming liquid into six cups. After being thanked by each Lady, Pelien turned to the Lady Morthaniawen, “Your youngest daughter, will she be accompanying us today? I thought she and Adrama might have some common interests. Right, Adrama?” Her daughter looked startled for a moment as she was put on the spot, but she nodded with a small smile before looking down at her hands. In reality, Pelien cared little for Lady Ruiel’s youngest daughter. The girl was weak, not having the same air of dignity seen in Ruiel and Dryea, but of course Pelien would never vocalize her opinion to the Lady.

[ July 18, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]
Old 07-18-2003, 03:02 PM   #90
Ealasaid
Wight

Sting

"Well, who can we tell something is off?" asked Vieana. "Perhaps the guards know about lies that have spread. Untrue, of course. I've known her all my life! And my father has always known the prince, as greedy as my father is, he still keeps up appearances." Vieana frowned.

Averyll nodded. "Of course, it's a lie!" she agreed. "We know that, but I think we need to make sure that such lies don't harm Finduilas, or get in the way of the wedding. After all --" she gave Eleniel and Vieana each a solemn look "-- that is part of the reason we are here."

"It's clear we have to do something," she added. A short period of silence passed as the three ladies made their way through the halls toward the dining room, each of them thinking hard.

"I still don't think we should upset Tessa or Finduilas just yet," Elen broke the silence.

"No," Averyll agreed. "You are right. We should probably just keep it to ourselves for the moment. In the meantime, I think it would be wise if we could do a little sleuthing about to see if we can find out where such nonsense is coming from."

"See if we can get to the bottom of it!" rejoined Vieana. "I agree. Imagine! The nerve of these people to say such things..."

"Right."

"How shall we do it, then?"

Averyll paused just outside of the dining room doors, stopping her companions with a gesture. "We must be careful. We must be subtle. We must listen to what the others are saying and ask questions, lead them to tell us more... perhaps even pretend to believe them..."

"Believe them?" Elen objected. "Oh, Averyll, don't be ridiculous. They are probably saying the same sort of thing about us! How can we pretend to believe them when we arrived with Finduilas, and we, at least Vieana and I, have known Finduilas for years!"

"Okay," Averyll smiled. "Maybe that wouldn't be so clever, but you see what I am getting at, don't you? Listen to the gossipers. Talk to them. Lead them to say more and more. It's the only way we can discover where the rumors came from."

Vieana frowned. "That's all fine and good, but we mustn't ever lead anyone to think the rumors are true." She crossed her arms. "As Finduilas' ladies, it's our job to argue the truth, to let everyone know how false those rumors are, and as soon as possible, before they can cause any real damage."

"Too true," rejoined Elen. "So, what do we do? Try to find out who started the rumors, as Averyll suggests? Or just quash them as we encounter them."

The three ladies looked at each other from face to face. Finally, Vieana sighed. "Do we have to decide right this second? There's a lovely luncheon waiting just inside those doors. I can think much more clearly on a full stomach. What do you say we eat first, then make up our plan?"

Averyll laughed. "I'm for eating. Elen?"

"Me, too!" With that, the three of them entered the dining room, where a splendid array of food had already been laid out for the ladies of Dol Amroth.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:55 PM   #91
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ruiel smiled at Pelien's daughter, noting the somewhat startled expression on the girl's face with some satisfaction as Pelien pointed out the obvious dawdling of Alethea. Irritation bubbled within her as she accepted a delicate cup of tea, again the bland varietyv favoured by the weaker consitutions of Gondorian nobles.

"Indeed, Alethea shall be joining us today. She is delayed by her intent to find the gown perfectly suited for your luncheon. I am sure she will be here, presently.

"Tell me, how is Sador doing? All this sudden flurry of formalities at court must have set him upon his ear, in a manner of speaking."

Ruiel sipped politely at her cup as she waited for her jibe to settle in Pelien's craw. Sador notoriously detested the frippery of court life, unable to see it's merit like most men. Her tone was of a fellow woman who knew only too well what a trial such men can be, indeed all men for that matter. Pelien, however, knew she herself had raised absences. It was only a matter of time before Ruiel siezed on Findulias' absence and commented on that.

"I see the Steward's daughters have graced us with their presence also," Ruiel murmured as she looked the room over. Dryea sent them a stiff glance that contrasted sharply with her earlier triumphant glow. "I daresay your luncheon will be quiet a pleasant diversion from the frantic whirlwind of state marriages that the poor girls must be enveloped in."

"I do hope they'll join us," Dryea managed to add without needing prompting. Ruiel and Pelien smiled in agreement and a tray of whimiscal sweet petite-fours swept past.

"Oh Pelien, you have proved the skill of your kitchens once again! How these escaped Sador I do not know. It is a shame Finduilas is not yet here to sample your fine fare, for these will not last long."

Ruiel smiled pleasantly and sipped at her tea, wishing never more than now for a cup of rich, strong Umbarian coffee instead of the pale watery concoction that was everywhere one turned in the Citadel. Pelien was deciding whether she would respond to Ruiel's comments, and if so how as Ruiel looked at the door in the hopes of Alethea appearing with Ranne. Conversation swirled around her, the snatches that she could catch demanded more than one set of ears.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 07-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #92
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Before the Luncheon

As Meirelle left Alethea's room, she made her way to Dryea's room to tidy it up. After knocking on the door and receiving no answer, Meirelle entered the room. She heaved a sigh of relief, seeing that it was barely messy. She made the bed and straightened the gowns in her closet. Then, seeing that her work was done, Meirelle left Dryea's room and made her way towards the kitchen.

When she got there, she hadn't taken one step towards the plates of food awaiting serving when she felt a strong hand on her shoulder.

"You, girl! These dishes need washing and they need it now! Go to it!"

The voice was, of course, Vern's, and because this was her kitchen it was her rules. Meirelle obliged meekly and set to work. As she scrubbed a pot covered in some sort of brown sauce, she sighed and thought, What a lovely way to spend my morning. When she was done these dishes, Meirelle was determined to get out of the kitchen and, if the luncheon was over, receive instructions from the Lady Dryea.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:37 PM   #93
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Emilia prepared carefully for the luncheon held by Adrama's mother. She knew that it would be important, surely the rumours about Finduilas had been spreading like wildfire through the night and morning. Her eyes sparkled at the thought as she surveyed herself in the mirror.

A pleasant enough sight, she thought dispassionately as she twisted around to see as much of her gown as possible. A deep red, it set off the auburn lights in her long dark hair, which she had brushed to a burnished sheen. It would do, for a luncheon to which no men had been invited. She sighed vexedly at the thought.
My Lady Pelien would be holding parties full of young men if she had any regard for her daughter's marriage.

A slow smile spread across her face as she picked up her shawl, ready to leave. Adrama.
What kind of a mood will she be in? Emilia wondered. Joyful at the rumours? Upset that her true love is denied to her? I hope it will be the latter. She would be far easier to control while unhappy.

As she entered the rooms, Emilia studied the faces that were already there. Lady Pelien and Adrama, Lady Ruiel. Various other ladies of the court. The steward's daughters, of course- using their positions to the most of their ability. Emilia's lip curled in derision. And, looking surprisingly meek, Dryea. With a friendly greeting Emilia joined her friend.

"So" she began eagerly "has there been any developments?"
She glanced around the room.
"Does everyone know of the doubts regarding the Lady Finduilas?"
"We shall see, no doubt" answered Dryea, returning her smile.
Emilia was satisfied. Everything was proceeding. The excitement was just begininng!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-21-2003, 11:40 AM   #94
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

“Me too” Elen said joining the two girls as they walked into the dinning room. The walked to a table and sat down. The assortment of food was amazing. They had everything from meat to vegetables and fruits. There were many different varieties of wine to choose from to. Eleniel was starving and she quickly ate many different kinds of fruits from grapes and apples to strawberries. Everything was delicious.

“Look there is Finduilas and Tessa!” Vienna exclaimed looking up. And just like she said Finduilas and Tessa had entered looking quite lovely. Finduilas was wearing a beautiful ivory dress. On the décolletage an intricate design of birds and flowers had been sewn. Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun, and tied around it was an ivory ribbon.

Tessa on the other hand was wearing a pale yellow dress. On the hem of the skirt in silver thread there was a design in the likeliness of the sun. Her hair was kept down.

“Finduilas! Tessa! Where have you two been all morning?” Averyll exclaimed looking up at the two women that now stood at their table.

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 07-21-2003, 02:13 PM   #95
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

The talk grew louder in the room as the ladies of Minas Tirith debated Finduilas’ identity. Slowly, the doubt was cast from their minds as everyone added their own opinion to the fray – Finduilas, in the eyes of the court, was an imposter. The only question now, was what to do about it.

Patting her hair as she walked through the room, Elena moved closer to Dryea and Emilia. The two of them turned to greet her, as Elena put the fragile cup of tea she carried on a nearby table.

“Tell me, have we heard of anything new regarding the lady Finduilas? I feel certain everyone in the room must have heard, and have their own opinion on it by now.” Elena smiled, knowing full well how much some of the mothers disliked Finduilas for becoming betrothed to Denethor in the first place – this was adding insult to injury, if she was not who she seemed to be.

“Not that I have heard,” Emilia answered her question. “I wonder if the Steward and his son suspect anything?”

“Doubtful!” Elena laughed. “The men would not have heard any rumours - and if they do, it goes in one ear and out the other! What I want to know, is if she isn’t really who she says she is…who is she? Surely these rumours must have come from somewhere, and for some reason – someone must know something about her past.”

[ July 21, 2003: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 07-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #96
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Pelien's Luncheon

Meirelle shoved the last plate into the dishrack and sighed in relief. Finally, she was finished the load. Deciding to take a break from the kitchen, Meirelle headed to Alethea's room to straighten it up, figuring she was at the luncheon already. She opened the door and stepped into the room. As she turned her back to close it, Meirelle heard a voice behind her say, "Meirelle!" She jumped and whirled around, only to see that it was Alethea, looking at her questioningly.

Meirelle put her hand upon her breast as if to steady her rapidly-beating heart and said, "Miss Mor-Alethea! Shouldn't you be at Miss Pelien's luncheon now?"

Alethea replied with, "Well...yes, but I am still getting ready. I have to look my best, you know." Meirelle surveyed Alethea, who looked stunning in her simple cream gown and black sash around her waist. "Miss Alethea, you look beautiful! You really must hurry to the luncheon now!" Meirelle took her by the arm and started to hurry her out of the room. "Your mother and sister must be worrying and wondering where you are!"

Alethea pulled back and began protesting. "But...but...I must do something with my hair!"

Meirelle looked at her and said, "It looks lovely down. Really, Miss Alethea, you must hurry!"

Alethea allowed herself to be rushed out of her room towards the luncheon. As they walked briskly along, Meirelle chattered about her duties and the morning's happenings. When they finally reached the doors to the luncheon, Alethea took a deep breath. Meirelle checked over her gown and hair, to make sure it was all still perfect. When she finished, she gave Alethea a big smile and said, "Go on in, Miss Alethea. They are all waiting for you, and wondering where you are!"

Alethea stepped inside and Meirelle shut the doors behind her. Then she went back to Alethea's room and began to clean it up as she had first intended to do.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:19 AM   #97
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Diorwyn sat at the window of her room, making use of the daylight to continue the intricate embroidery on Finduilas’ wedding gown. On the table beside her stood various small boxes with the pearls and crystals which were to adorn the neckline. Usually she enjoyed the feeling of the luxurious fabric and the sheen and sparkle of the precious stones, but today her heart was not in her work. She was troubled by the rumours she had heard and wondered what their source and purpose could be.

Though she was not familiar with the court of Minas Tirith and the relationships of the noble families with each other, she knew enough about women and their ambitions to suspect what was happening. It would have been strange indeed had there been no jealousy involved in the marriage of the White City’s most eligible bachelor to a beautiful yet foreign princess.

But what could she do? No one at the Citadel would listen to the words of a seamstress, not even one whose skills they sought. Suddenly the words her father had often spoken occurred to her: Fight fire with fire. Of course! The best way to counter rumours was by starting opposite rumours. Yet who should be the target of those? She resolved to listen to the maids’ gossip at the evening meal, then seek out Gwinniel afterwards. No doubt she would have found out something in the meantime.

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-22-2003, 05:00 AM   #98
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Pelien's Luncheon

Alethea allowed herself to be lead to the luncheon. In truth she did not really want to go, she had tried to stall by saying something about her hair, but Meirelle had insisted and Alethea felt too tired to fight. So reluctantly she was now being led towards the door of Pelien’s. The two halted outside and Meirelle checked over Alethea’s hair and clothes. Alethea gave a exasperated look but Mieirelle missed it while combing althea’s hair down with her right hand.

Meirelle stepped back and beamed at her, and Alethea gave a little smile. She really did not feel like going today, she would have rather gone home and done something productive with her day instead of gossiping, but their job must bee done. So after a few words of encouragement from Meirelle, Alethea opened the door and found the room where the luncheon was taking place. All eyes turned to her as she stepped into the room.

“Ah my sister has finally decided to arrive!” exclaimed Dryea, a little laughter followed. “Too busy getting ready I suspect.” Alethea gave a sarcastic smile to her sister and Alethea sat herself down next to her mother and muttered under her breath, “Yes something like that.”

“Alethea, I am glad you graced us with your presence… I was getting worried that you had forgotten.” her mother said, then taking a sip of tea.

“Oh no, I was just…..well as Dryea so accurately put it I was getting ready.” she smiled to her mother who was fully aware that Alethea was being sarcastic. She raised and eyebrow and placed her cup on the table. Alethea face burned and suddenly felt ashamed, her mother seemed annoyed with her. Her eyes looked into her mothers apologetically. Ruiel nodded and then turned to Pelien.

“This is Alethea, my youngest daughter,” she smiled at the host politely.

“Alethea,” Pelien said and then pointed to a girl who was near, “ Alethea I am sure you know my daughter Adrama.”

“Yes, I have seen her, but never had the pleasure of speaking to her.” Alethea’s sarcastic tone of voice floated over the air but the only ones who seemed to noticed were Dryea and Ruiel. Pelien was blissfully unaware and smiled courteously back. Alethea could see it was an act. It was obvious to her that Pelien did not think much of her and thought more highly of her mother and sister. Well it was her loss, people were not always what they seemed, Alethea knew that. It did not bother her that much, though she dreaded the thought of having to talk to Adrama if she was anything like her mother.

“Well we will let you two get to know each other…”Pelien motioned for Alethea to join her daughter, so she did reluctantly. She sat down next to the girl who ignored her, she seemed to Alethea to be ignorant, not wanting to talk which Alethea did not mind. But under the critical eyes of their mothers the needed to at least greet each other. Alethea turned to her and prepared to make the first move.

“I’m Alethea, don’t worry I already know who you are, Adrama, you mother told me. The two of them have gotten the idea in their heads that we may have something in common..”

“Really…how interesting,” she said carelessly. “Well I doubt that.”

“So do I, but if we are to survive their nagging after this little gathering then I advise we at least look like we are getting acquainted.” Alethea smiled, she liked this girl she acted much like herself, maybe they did have something in common.

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 AM   #99
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Sting

Nuru's post for Adrama at Pelien's Luncheon

Adrama cast her eye appraisingly on Alethea, doubtfully watching the confident, innocent face that returned her gaze. She squirmed a little in her chair, wondering why those friendly-looking green eyes made her so uncomfortable. However, she refrained from showing her feelings; rather, she assumed a confident air as well, and even ventured so far as to give the slight impression that she was looking down at Alethea. Whether it came across to Alethea in that manner or not, Adrama herself felt reassured with the feeling of superiority.

Alethea looked roughly the same age as Adrama herself, and her manner of speech, not to mention her personality, seemed to go along well with the personality of Pelien's daughter. Perhaps they could be friends. Adrama had learned, however, that with many people at Minas Tirith, manner and personality were not always everything. It would be well to make a good impression on Alethea by behaving at her best and making sure her appearance was satisfactory. She ran her hands along her lap, smoothing her skirt out.

"What is your opinion of Finduilas?" Alethea asked, and Adrama stifled laughter. What a stupid question that was! Everyone asked each other that question. To think that she had believed for any length of time that there something unique about Alethea. But then the sense of asking such a simple question struck Adrama, and she glanced around the room quickly. She had forgotten something that Alethea had not... they were not alone.

Adrama chose her words carefully, speaking truthfully but not letting Alethea see the exact feelings she had for Finduilas. "To give you my honest opinion, she rather annoys me," she said. "She seems to be... putting on a show, if you understand my feelings. No, I decidedly do not think very much of her." Feelings began to grow inside of her, and Alethea was looking at her in a peculiar, rather superior way, so she hastily changed the subject. "Dryea (your sister, isn't she?) is strikingly beautiful, I must say."

Alethea made a soft little 'mmm' noise of agreement, and then there was a silence that made Adrama rather uncomfortable. She hastily added that she didn't mean anything to the contrary of Alethea, and the latter laughed and brushed her off, reassuring her that no offence at all had been taken. Adrama realized how dangerous it was to tell one sister that the other was very beautiful.

The comment Adrama had made was very typical of her. She knew that she herself was rather attractive, but she never tried to ignore the feelings that someone was more beautiful than her when they were. And the simple but very true fact was that Dryea outshone her. In normal circumstances Adrama would have a deep envy for the one who was taking glory from her by her own beauty, but Dryea created more complicated feelings. She disliked her because she was beautiful; but then again she greatly liked her. She had such a wonderful smile and friendly manner. Who couldn't like her?

Adrama's eyes went over Alethea again. Was that same charm visible in the beauty's sister? Adrama couldn't tell. At any rate, she was rather looking forward to talking more with Alethea after the luncheon. She was looking forward to getting to know her better... or about her. Adrama wasn't sure if Alethea could be considered a friend... not yet. No, Alethea was more of the ally-type, not the real friend. She was like Emilia. But wasn't Emilia a friend? Adrama felt a little dizzy from confusion. Addruran used to be a friend too.

She swiftly turned earnest eyes to Alethea, but found that she was at a complete loss of what to say. Or at least things to say that she could speak without her mother reproving her in any way. Yet... A little smile flickered on Adrama's face. Though it normally would bring a shocked reaction from her mother ?or at least a pretended one- this luncheon was an entirely different matter. And she was curious to see what Alethea's reaction would be. Yes, she would say it without fear.

Without giving any reason for doing so, Adrama spoke in sincere, cold tones, her eyes locked with Alethea's, waiting for the reaction, no matter what it would be, uttering the words, "I hate Finduilas."

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #100
Ealasaid
Wight

Sting

“Finduilas! Tessa!” exclaimed Averyll, looking up at the two women that now stood at their table. Both were dressed beautifully, one in ivory, the other in a frock of pale yellow. “Where have you been all morning? And these two ladies - “ she indicated Vieana and Elen with a nod and an impish smile “ - were heckling me that I might have hopped a ship back to Dol Amroth…”

Tessa laughed, and Finduilas gave them a serene smile. “Now, why would I do that?” Finduilas asked, taking her seat opposite the other ladies. “When there is so much to do here to get ready for the wedding.” She helped herself to a plate of grapes and melon slices. “Did you have a good time at the party last night? Wasn’t everyone charming?”

Averyll and Elen exchanged a glance.

“Oh, the party was lovely!” answered Elen quickly. “Everyone was so friendly and charming. And I’ve never seen so many beautiful dresses. The seamstresses here can’t begin to compete with your Diorwyn, but they did turn out some beautiful gowns.”

Tessa rolled her eyes. “All everyone did all night was jostle around to get a peek at us. It was like being in a display case for the evening.”

Finduilas gave her a reproachful look. “Don’t be wicked, Tessa. You can’t blame them for being curious.”

“What I want to know,” interjected Vieana. “Is what you think of your new home. How does Minas Tirith suit you?”

Finduilas paused a moment to think, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. “I can’t say as I have seen enough of it yet to know, but I will look to like, if that makes any difference.” She paused again, this time to take a bite of fruit. “The people have certainly gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. I wouldn’t have been surprised to encounter just a little jealousy even, but, so far, everyone has been very kind.”

Remembering the young Minas Tirith woman who had left the party the night before in tears, Averyll bit her tongue. When she gasped and raised her hand to her mouth, Vieana gave her a sharp look, reminding Averyll with her eyes that they had already agreed not to share what they had heard with Tessa or Finduilas just yet. With tears of pain in her own eyes, Averyll nodded. “I’m sorry,” she said once she could speak again. “I just bit my tongue. I know it’s not on the menu, but there it was! I couldn‘t resist.”

The other ladies laughed and, although Averyll wanted to crawl under the table, it was too late. Attention was already on her.

“So, Averyll,” said Finduilas lightly. “How do you like Minas Tirith?”

“It’s an interesting place,” she answered carefully. “I met a baker this morning who swears he has the best sticky buns in the world. I thought it was a bit cocky of him, but, not being an authority on sticky buns, I couldn’t call him to task for it. For all I know, he might!”

The other ladies laughed again, but Tessa was not willing to let her duck the question so easily. “That’s fascinating, Averyll,” she said. “But I think what Finduilas really wants to know is what you thought of Denethor!” Her brown eyes sparkled mischievously.

“Tessa!” exclaimed Finduilas, a slight flush rising in her cheeks.

As the other ladies burst into laughter again, Averyll made her escape. “Oh, my goodness!” she exclaimed, raising an empty pitcher. “We’re out of drinks! I’ll just pop round to the kitchen and ask the cook for more.”

Vieana pointed to a bell on the side board. “We can ring for more!” she called after Averyll, but it was too late. Averyll had already slipped out the door, pitcher in hand.

As she made her way down the hall toward the kitchen, Averyll silently berated herself for being such a ninny, biting her tongue and then rushing out like a thief with a guilty conscience. All Finduilas had wanted to know was how Averyll liked Minas Tirith, but Averyll was afraid that once she got talking, she would let something slip, something that might color Finduilas’ view of the city that was to be her new home in a negative light. Averyll did not want to do that. In her opinion, Finduilas needed to think Minas Tirith was wonderful. She and Elen and Vieana would have to protect her as best they could and as long as they could from the jealousy and evil rumors. Thinking of which, Averyll suddenly smiled to herself. Maybe she could use this opportunity to see what the servants in the kitchen were talking about. She quickened her step. Whatever was being said among the nobility, the servants were usually the first to hear it.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:42 PM   #101
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Grateful that both her friends had shown up at the luncheon, Dryea devoted herself to the conversation they had started, blocking out the words spoken by her mother and the other guests.

“Doubtful!” Elena laughed. “The men would not have heard any rumours - and if they do, it goes in one ear and out the other! What I want to know, is if she isn’t really who she says she is…who is she? Surely these rumours must have come from somewhere, and for some reason – someone must know something about her past.”

Dryea thought on Elena’s innocent supposition and agreed silently to herself. Very well mother, you got us into this one. Where is she from then if not from Dol Amroth? Dryea glanced imperceptibly towards Ruiel who gave her a fleeting smile. Ha! she thought to herself. She knows my thoughts as though my mind were a book that she hath read. Her disgruntled opinions subsided as she looked again at the honestly calm expression hidden behind the social enthusiasm. Ruiel knew exactly what she was going to do and how, of this Dryea was suddenly sure. Her mother was truly a clever person. Satisfied, she returned focus to her friends.

“This is dull,” whispered Emilia so that only Elena and Dryea could hear. Both agreed wordlessly, sipping lazily at their tea.

“Do you return home this evening?” inquired Elena, directing her question towards Dryea. She nodded, setting her cup down and wishing there had been more sugar in the tasteless brew.

“We leave almost immediately after the luncheon I think. I wish it wasn’t so far from here. It can get quite lonesome.” Talk went on at about the some degree throughout the luncheon, words of Finuilas and her delegation fluttering about purposely. Dryea wondered halfheartedly if Ruiel should mention anything she knew here or was waiting for a better, more appropriate time...

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 07-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #102
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

With Alethea notable arrival, more than fashionably late, Ruiel supressed her grimace at her younger daughter's inability to contain her opinions. Must she always wear them on her sleeve, Ruiel wondered in exasperation. When Adrama and Alethea left to make a hopefully better acquaintance, Ruiel was left to explain Alethea's blatant sarcastic rudeness to Pelien. It was not a position Ruiel relished, explaining anything to Pelien.

"Impetuousness of youth, " Ruiel began as Pelien levelled a somewhat offended smile at her. Pelien sniffed in reply, lifting her chin somewhat. "Still, such youthful exuberance when moulded by a firm hand can make a woman her fortune." Ruiel smiled, to soften the blow of her reference to Morthaniawen's vast wealth. Pelien, not wishing to get into a contest of economic capacity, lowered her chin somewhat.

"Perhaps the charm and refinement of your sweet Adrama will have a positive effect on my youngest daughter. Example is a powerful teacher." Pelien nodded, casting a long look at where their daughter's sat in conversation, wondering which trait would rub off on whom. Ruiel took that opportunity to allow Pelien to see to her other guests. Dryea was chatting amicably with Elena.

Ruiel caught the look her older daughter sent to her across the room. Elena looked to be discussing something of fascination, her wrapt expression gilding her young features. The rumours were drifting around the room. Finduilias was not who she said she was. Finduilias was hiding something. Ranne slipped in discreetly, cheeks flushed from having run to attend and possibly from selecting the most trustworthy porter for their luggage.

Ruiel noted her presence and allowed herself to be stopped by the same woman whom had spoken to her at breakfast.

"I cannot bear it any long, Lady Morthaniawen! I have to know what she is hiding!"

The woman gripped the porcelain saucer of her tea cup tightly as though she'd fly apart if it slipped from her hands. An highly strung woman, Ruiel had picked her mark well. She was well known within Minas Tirith as having a loose tongue, but few could censure her for her talk. Her connections by marriage were such that she was an untouchable gossip. She was tolerated, barely, at the best of times.

However, with the rumours concerning Finduilias, those who had avoided her at all costs now hung on her words. She was the centre of attention. Led carefully, she would take credit for the "truth" and any retaliation should it be discovered as the lies it was would fall on her shoulders. Even in that case, Minas Tirith and her nobles would be free one gossip: a most pleasing outcome.

Ruiel smiled benevolently at the woman who clutched her arm a little too tightly. How the saucer must feel between her pinscer grip! She stiffened her arm in the manner that her husband said felt like her flesh had turned to ice. Disapproval at the overfamiliar touch radiated from Ruiel, and the gossip released her when she realised what she had done. Noone laid hands on the Lady Morthaniawen. As her face fell a little, Ruiel let her think she had offended her only source of continued popularity. When Ruiel spoke kindly, if somewhat exasperated, to her, she all but quivered with relief and renewed excitement.

"Surely one so knowledgeable as you would know," Ruiel purred as she smoothed her skirts like they were ruffled feathers. "With your experience and intimate acquaintance of those noble born, you know that there are some families whose prestige shines bright and clear. Your own, for example."

"Yes, yes, yours too," the other replied hastily. "Go on," she urged. Ruiel had her on the hook well and truly now.

"There are some who whilst great are not so highly thought of," Ruiel continued as the woman impatently nodded. "And there are some that are tolerated simply out of politeness."

"Yes, I know that," the woman said. Of course she did. She made it her business to know who did what to whom and why that either elevated their status or ensured it sank into oblivion of commonality.

"But there is only one who is of royal lineage, yet is despised by all." Ruiel watched the woman's mind wheel and spin so quickly that smoke would surely start to waft from her ears. Dawning realisation replaced her earlier impatience.

"Really," she said with wide eyes.
"It lies not to me to reveal such painful secrets," Ruiel replied.
"No, no, of course not. Oh how terrible!" The glee in her eyes suggested exactly the contrary.
"I really must get some more tea, if you will excuse me. Please do pass on my regards to your husband and son," Ruiel said. The other woman spared her having to remember their insignificant names. She was frantic to tell all who would listen her terrible, entertaining, fascinating news. Ruiel left her to it, face serene, as the gossip throw the lie so hard into the pool that the ripples virtually knocked all the guests off their feet.

It was fortuitous that Pelien had the foresight to provide so many chairs, mismatched as they were. Ruiel had a new cup of wretched tea poured for her by a passing maid and held herself aloof from the spreading rumour. Ranne was on the other side of the room, she noted. Eventually the rumour came back to Ruiel.

"Such a terrible thing. Are you sure she is Ar-Pharazon's kin," she asked sadly shaking her head. The reply was predictable. It was gossip and sheer conjecture. Of course it was true.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:18 PM   #103
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

It wasn’t long after Dryea had glanced towards her mother before the rumour was introduced to Emilia, Elena, and herself. Upon hearing the story her mother had subtly concocted, Dryea froze in a mixture of humour, disbelief, and even slight terror. The latter came from being sure that there was no way Ruiel was going to get away with it. Of course no one knew that she had been the one to start it. The gossip was the first to pass it on so if traced, the blame would land on her and not Lady Morthaniawen.

It would be the same, Dryea thought with a slight shock, with Elena and Emilia. They had been the first to hear the guess from the Morthaniawen’s lips at the welcoming ball. Immediately they had assumed their suppositions were blunt and to the point but on reflection they would see that Dryea had said no such thing and they had made the conclusion on their own. Therefore the guilt would rest entirely on their shoulders and leave Dryea free of blame.

A smile played at the corners of Dryea’s mouth as she thought. How clever mother is, she deliberated. No one could ever guess. Then another idea wormed its way into Dryea’s gearing mind. The luncheon! Perfect! The rumours will be traced back to the luncheon. Oooh all the suspects to choose from! Pelien of course will be the first target followed by the supposedly concerned Tiriel and Siriel. Though Ruiel’s oldest daughter was unaware, Lady Morthaniawen had already chosen the victim who at this moment was surrounded by silly women hanging on every juicy word that issued from her tittle-tattle mouth.

Completely pleased with her mother’s success Dryea abandoned her insipid tea as Elena and Emilia buzzed over the information.

“Ar-Pharazon?” said Emilia dubiously. “That seems a bit far-fetched.” Dryea laughed daintily, careful not to slosh her drink.

“I think I have to agree with you on that, Emilia. Gossips theses days have quite the imagination,” the two shook their heads, but Elena cut in earnestly.

“No, no,” she argued. “Listen. I have been doing study in that area recently and it makes perfect sense. If you had survived the destruction and escaped as Ar-Pharazon’s descendents or what not, you’d go back to Dol Amroth wouldn’t you? And what would you take up as? Surely not a maid.” She paused enough for her friends to agree. “No, they had enough money to establish themselves as a well-to-do family with political acuteness. Eventually they’d grow in reputation until they were so close to the royal family that, as it is in Finduilas’ case—”

Is the royal family!” finished Dryea as if she had just had an epiphany and figured this out for the first time. “You are clever Elena!” she commented as her friend smiled sagely. “But are you sure?”

“How can she not be,” snapped Emilia excitedly.

“It is clever of her though,” added Elena. “We should be careful in revealing what we know.” An amused glint had established itself in Emilia’s eyes and she talked in tones that told her two friends she wanted to use this to their best advantage.

“But she’d be discharged the minute the steward and his son found out the truth,” she said slowly. “And then her whole group would be out of our hair!”

“Ooh, but Ar-Pharazon was evil!” protested Dryea, acting timid. “Suppose Finduilas is just as terrible! Things could go very bad for all of us.” Emilia shook her pretty head confidently.

“I doubt it. Minas Tirith is too powerful,” she smiled as Dryea toyed nervously with the lace on her bodice. Then a second idea, that would do wonders for her act, replaced her simply nervous expression to one of fear. Elena and Emlia read it at once and voiced their queries.

“I’m from Dol Amroth!” whispered Dryea frantically. “She probably has the entire city filled with her allies and if she is found out and sent back then we can never go home!” She did well to make the beginning of what was to be tears appear in her eyes if she wasn’t comforted.

“There, there Dryea,” said Elena comfortingly. “When all of it is cleared by the steward I’m sure he’ll take action right away. You’ll be fine, I’m sure.” Deciding that her words were good enough, Dryea collected herself and dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief hidden in a skirt pocket before folding and replacing it.

“You’re right,” she said confidently. “I’m being foolish.”

“Don’t take it to heart,” said Emilia. “Let’s have some more tea and turn our conversation to something more, interesting.” The other two knew that she wanted to speak of men and smiled mysteriously, diving into the conversation. Every now and then Emilia would say something funny and both Elena and Dryea would laugh a bit loudly, achieving reproving glares from the older women. Dryea, glad that her two friends seemed to be completely convinced, enthusiastically contributed to their discussion which lasted for the remainder of the luncheon.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #104
Ealasaid
Wight

Sting

Carrying the empty pitcher, Averyll hurried down the hallway in search of the kitchen. She wasn’t entirely sure in which direction it lay, but figured that she had to find it eventually. If not, she was bound to run into a chambermaid or a guard at some point. She could ask directions.

Coming to the stairs at the end of the hallway, she decided to go down. In most of the houses at home in Dol Amroth, the servants’ quarters and the kitchen were usually located on the lower floors. Surely, Minas Tirith would be no different. It was a narrow stair, the landings lined with doors. She had, indeed, found the servants’ quarters, she discovered, as a young woman in a maid’s cap popped her head out of one of the doors. Seeing Averyll, she came out and bobbed a quick curtsy.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” she said. “These are the servants’ quarters. You shouldn’t be down here.”

Averyll smiled pleasantly, holding up the empty pitcher. “I was looking for the kitchen.”

The maid smiled in return. “Oh! I’ll take that. The kitchen is back in the other direction.” She reached out for the pitcher.

Averyll gave it to her, but rather than returning back up the stairs, she hesitated. “ I was wondering if you could show me the way to the kitchen, anyway?” she asked. “In case I might want something later.”

The maid continued smiling. “Oh, you don’t need to go to the kitchen yourself. If you need anything, you can ring for it.” She curtsied again and looked at Averyll expectantly, obviously waiting for her to return back upstairs. Averyll shrugged and took a step back up toward the guest residences. Well, that was a roaring success, she thought to herself. Maybe I should try talking to some of the servants we brought with us from Dol Amroth. They might have heard something. She decided to change her approach.

“Does Diorwyn have her quarters here somewhere?” she asked, raising her arm to show where a thread had come loose in the hem of her sleeve. She gave the chambermaid a friendly grimace. “I’m not only lost, but in need of repair as well.”

The chambermaid turned and pointed to a door on the next landing. Averyll thanked her and continued on down the stairs to the seamstress’ door, feeling the eyes of the chambermaid between her shoulder blades the entire way. She knocked, then turned and looked back up toward the maid. “Thank you!” she called back to her and waved. The chambermaid curtsied yet again and disappeared up the stairs, carrying Averyll’s empty pitcher.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #105
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Where is Averyll, Eleniel wondered as she sat and ate? She had run of a long time ago to get more wine and she still hadn’t returned. I should go figure out where she is.

“Um. Excuse me I must use the ladies room,” she said standing up and walking towards the door before anyone had a chance to say anything. Luckily the lavatory was right next to the door Averyll had gone into. She quickly slipped though that door and headed down the long hallway.

Not far down she came to a set of narrow winding stairs. Up or down, Elen contemplated. As she stood there a Minas Tirth maid made her way up the stairs.

“Excuse me, did you see a woman down there? She has brown hair and blue eyes.” Eleniel asked the young maid.

“Sorry milady, I have not. I would look for you but I have not the time” she said and with a quick curtsy she was off. I’ll just go down and look myself, she thought heading down the stairs. Seconds later another young maid appeared caring a pitcher.

“Excuse me, did you see a woman down there? She has brown hair and blue eyes.” Eleniel asked her.

“Yes I did. She was in search of the kitchen but I told her I would go get her wine.” She said smiling politely.

“Do you know where she is?” Eleniel asked her face bighting by this.

“As a matter o’ fact I do. She headed towards I seamstress Diorwyn.”

“Which room is that”

“Seventh door on the left. Next floor down”

“Thank you” Elen said as she started down the stairs.

“Always” the maid said making an awkward curtsy before heading the rest of the way up the stairs.

No one was in this hall. Eleniel walked slowly towards a large wooden door, seventh on the left side and knocked three times…

[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 07-23-2003, 10:47 PM   #106
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Sting

Pelien’s Luncheon

Pelien sat quietly watching her guests devour the new development in the quest for Finduilas’ real identity. Ar-Pharazon’s descendent, here, ready to marry the future Steward seemed a little far fetched, but the idea was rather intriguing. What would Denethor think? Surely he would discard the wretch his bride had turned out to be, and that would leave room for another… A sly smile crept across Pelien’s face as she sipped her tea.

“Madame Pelien,” the voice of the cook broke Pelien’s thoughts. “Lunch is served.” Nodding a thanks, Pelien rose and the rest of the ladies followed her into the open, sunlit dining room adjacent to where they were sitting.

A long cherry table was located in the center of the room. Before every seat sat a plate with crisp greens with a single flower laid gently across each place setting. Rummel moved quickly between the women respectfully pulling out their chairs and then placing an ivory napkin in each lap. Pelien, of course, positioned herself at the head of the table, and once they were all settled, the conversation slowly started again. First compliments were given to Pelien about the lovely table and salads, but soon the rumors rose above the small talk, and the whole table discussed Finduilas’ identity and what it would mean to Minas Tirith.

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-24-2003, 03:17 AM   #107
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

"I hate Finduilas." Adrama uttered under her breath. Her eyes flashed with a sudden coldness and whatever Alethea had expected her to say it certainly wasn’t those three words. It was too late now to cover her shock over what she had said, but Alethea suspected Adrama thought the shock was over the shock was over the fact that it was a terrible thing to say. But it wasn’t, it was a pleasant shock. Of course, Alethea wanted to blurt out that she held her in contempt too, but that was too brash for a lady like her. Maybe she would go about the matter in a Dryea like way. Or maybe not. A small smile broke across her face.

“Really?” she laughed. Adrama’s eyes were still cold, and Alethea could see that this was no act she really did loathe the woman. Which was not a surprise. And then the question fell upon to Alethea’s lips. Why? Of course it was either one of two, that this girl actually believed the rumours that he sister and mother had been spreading, or, or she actually wanted to marry Denethor.

Would it be impolite to ask, maybe if she did Adrama would think her too brazen and not converse with her any longer. She did not want to loose the girl as a potential friend, as she was much like herself, in personality that was. But she would not have had said it without knowing that Alethea would seek out why she did hate Finduilas.

“Why?” she ask her curiosity nagging her. Adrama’s head dropped down to her dress and then she looked up again.

“I hate her, I hate…” she repeated it with such fury in her voice that Alethea was once again taken a back, “..her…”

“Yes, but..” but Alethea’s protest was cut off by the announcement that lunch was ready, a scurry of women headed towards the lusciously decorated dining room. But Alethea pulled back Adrama’s arm as she got up. “So do I…but we cannot talk properly with them,” she nodded her head towards their mothers, “ watching over us.”

Adrama smiled, she seemed complacent with the fact Alethea shared her opinions. “Well tomorrow we might speak. But for now let us eat and at least be seeming to enjoy ourselves and we will talk of our meeting at the end of the lunch.” Alethea nodded and the two joined the table.

[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 07-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #108
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Ring

Betuli made her way to Diorwyn's room. The seamstress had to help her with one of Betuli's dresses. It had been torn and it had now gained a large split on the side. It needed sewing and Diorwyn just seemed to be the right person to ask for help, of course she was the right person, she was a seamstress!

She made her way through the hallway. She was heading for Diorwyn's room when Betuli heard some giggling ladies. They were talking about the Lady, Finduilas.

"Have you heard it?" One voice asked. Another voice answered quickly. "Yes, of course I have!" "I mean who hasn't?" It continued, giggling even more.

The third voice interrupted;"The lady is not who she claims to be!" "Some even use the word 'imposter' around her!" The voice continued.

Betuli made a rare grimase, what kind of rubbish was this? Finduilas was Finduilas and nothing more or less. An imposter?! She muttered the word. It didn't sound good, not at all. It sounded quite......well, she didn't really have time to think about this and debat with herself. This was a rubbish subject. Betuli just continued down to Diorwyn's room.

She knocked on the door and was told to enter. And so she did. There was Dirowyn sitting and sewing of course.

"Oh, I'm sorry if I'm interrupting you," Betuli said. Her voice seemed a bit irritated but she was not being rude in any kind of way.

"No, your not disturbing, dear friend." Diorwyn answered in a low voice still consentrating on the stiches. "Please sit down Betuli, and tell me your errand, because I assume you have one," Diorwyn said kindly while looking on the dress Betuli held in her hand.

"Yes, of course I have one." Betuli answered, looking at her dress as well. "Look!" Betuli said while holding out the dress. Diorwyn took it in her hands, she looked at it. "Oh, a split," She said at once.

"Yes, I'm afraid so." Betuli answered a bit sad. "This was one of my best dresses, you know." She added. "Do you think you can fix it?" She continued.

"Yes of course I can," Diorwyn said.

She took the dress gently and found a matching thread. Then she found her small needle and started to sew.

Betuli started thinking about the voices, the voices that called her dear Lady an imposter. Without much thought she asked Diorwyn if she had heard such nonsense.

Betuli interrupted herself and the small "em..." from Diorwyn. "I heard some ladies talking about Findulias while going down here. They said that Findulias wasn't the person she claimed to be." Betuli said, she looked quite worried. And her eyes turned away from both her dress and Diorwyn.

Then suddenly she got up, muttering something about that her duties were waiting and that she had forgot the time. "Do you mind if I come back later, for the dress I mean?" She asked politely, while she hurried towards the door.

"Yes, of course, I'll be done by then," Diorwyn answered while looking up at Betuli. She said her good byes and Betuli left in a hurry.

"Thanks," Betuli said while she was running trough the door.

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

[ August 03, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 07-26-2003, 04:09 AM   #109
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Vieana had a slight idea where the others had gone. It was not like Averyll and Elen to sit down while a friend was being slandered.

"Where, did they get off to then i wonder" said Finduilas glancing after them. Vieana kept her grey eyes on her teacup which she sipped lightly. "I imagine they have something which needs attending, not to worry, im sure they will be back soon." she sighed.

"Vieana, do you know something and are not telling us?" Tessa remarked staring st her sharply with a sly grin on her face. Vieana was taken aback. "Oh! dont be so silly! Now, Finduilas, tell me, what of our steward to be?"

Finduilas stared at her knees and was quiet for a second. "He is wonderful." she said blushing. Vieana smiled. "Married life is a lot of fun, and very rewarding. Take myself for instance, I have a wonderful husband, and a wonderful home with great friends. Of course it would be nice for a child right now, well thats what Dardanir wants but so far we have not been so lucky." she said changing the subject.

"Well, Vieana you are a kind friend, we wouldnt have any other would we Finduilas?" Tessa laughed. "No" Finduilas agreed. Vieana was finishing her salad when she was reminded of why she was so hungry in the first place. "Well, we were looking for you all morning!" she exclaimed.

"Oh." began tessa, "Well, you see i overslept and the i couldnt find my dress i wanted to wear." said Tessa "Then why did you not wear another?" Vieana torted. "Because, i like this one."
"Im sure you do Tessa." said Vieana now content that Averyll and Elen began to have things under control, well she hoped.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-26-2003, 10:03 AM   #110
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

The door was pulled open and Eleniel peered into the sunlit room. She stepped in a looked around. A beautiful gown lay on the bed.

“Diorwyn, did you sew that? It’s beautiful!” she exclaimed staring at the unfinished embroidery that she suspected Diorwyn had been working on. She turned to look at Diorwyn. She smiled as she stared at the dress.

“Thank you my dear.” She replied turning to look at Eleniel.

“Hello Averyll" Elen said looking at the girl sitting on a chair. “Got lost on the way to the kitchen, did you?” she said with a small grin. Averyll tried to protest but it only made Elen burst into laughter. Averyll smiled.

“So what brings you to my humble home?” Diorwyn said looking around. “Averyll told me she is in need or repair. I sit the same with you?”.

“Well, actually I came down here looking for Averyll who abandoned us at lunch” Eleniel said sitting down…

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]
Old 07-26-2003, 07:29 PM   #111
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It sure was a fine day Ränne thought, hearing Ruiels words of the morning. Ränne did all she was asked by lady Ruiel, and while the luncheon went on, Ränne kept busy preparing the delecatessen for their service, and was quiet and unnoticed while all went on, yet she listened and heard, and the words of deceit was in place.

But Ränne had other thoughts, and it all stemmed from how Lady Ruiel treated her daughters. Why can not Dryea pursue the handsome Gondorian soldier? Whay must all be held for status and they enjoy not their days of youth? Ränne could do little to influence Ruiel in her thinking... unless she.. no...

The words Ruiel spoke of Alethea fueled her thoughts, but she would just bury it away...

The lunch was served and the great table was set. She had no part of serving here for other would do it, so Ränne slipped out unnoticed, and would set about the place to look and see what she may find out.

Words spoken by Finduilas, Vieana, and Tess, who wished to know of the Steward heir of Gondor. Talk of children touched Ränne, and set her mind swimming. Searching for another leaf to chew, she realized she was out of place, and hoped she drew nobody's attention. Stepping back to the servants quarter she calmed, and after straightening her skirts, prepared to go back make sure all was ready for their departure to their house.

[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Snowdog ]
Old 07-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #112
Ealasaid
Wight

Sting

Averyll sat in a chair near Diorwyn as she stitched away at the dress Betuli had dropped off just minutes before Averyll's arrival. Diorwyn had already addressed the loose thread in Averyll's sleeve, which had turned out to be just that: a loose thread. The hems and seams were all still nicely intact. Averyll thanked her but still lingered in the chair, watching Diorwyn work and admiring the embroidery on the bodice of Finduilas' wedding dress, which lay nearly finished on Diorwyn's bed.

She was trying to decide how to broach the subject of the rumors to Diorwyn when she heard three firm knocks at the door. Diorwyn smiled politely to Averyll and rose to answer the door. It was Eleniel, who stepped into the room and looked around, Averyll thought, with the same sense of awe as a child entering a sorceror's den. She had noticed Elen's fondness for gowns and pretty needlework. To see the master at work must have been a tremendous thrill for Elen. Averyll smiled to herself as Elen and Diorwyn talked for a moment about embroidery and dresses.

After a moment, Elen noticed Averyll and grinned. The two ladies greeted each other, and Elen took a seat beside Averyll. "So," said Diorwyn, looking from face to face between the two ladies. "What brings you to my humble home?" Her eyes settled on Elen's fair face. "Averyll told me she was in need of repair. Is it the same with you?"

Elen flushed. "Well, actually, I came down here looking for Averyll who abandoned us at lunch."

Diorwyn's sharp eyes went back to Averyll. She raised one arched eyebrow.

"Ehm..." Under the seamstresses eyes, Averyll suddenly felt like a naughty schoolgirl caught at some kind of mischief. She, too, flushed slightly. "Well, really, I was hoping to talk to you about what seems to be happening here," she finally blurted out. "I keep hearing awful things about Finduilas. It's not like anyone has come outright with it. It's all rumors and innuendos."

Diorwyn lowered her handwork, her face growing serious.

"And Vieana says the guards are acting strangely!" added Elen.

Diorwyn nodded at Elen and turned her attention back to Averyll. "What sort of things are they saying?"

"That she's not really from Dol Amroth, that she is some sort of imposter. I was wondering if you or any of the maids might have heard anything like that. Elen, Vieana, and I --" she cast a quick glance at Elen, who nodded "-- were hoping to get to the bottom of it before anything serious could come of it."

Diorwyn nodded sagely. "I have heard some idle gossip around the servants' quarters and in the hallways. It has troubled me deeply. Betuli has heard much of the same, but, so far, no one has said anything directly to us. What we have heard has been overheard."

"If it troubles them so much, I wish someone would just come right out and ask us," sighed Eleniel. "Then we could set them straight."

Averyll shrugged. "I don't know. It seems very malicious to me." She paused. "Did you say Betuli had heard some of the same things?"

Diorwyn nodded. "Yes, when she dropped off her dress." She indicated the dress in her lap. "She seemed quite angry about it. Actually, she should be back in a few minutes. You can talk to her yourself."

"Oh, that would be great," Averyll smiled. "In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas what we should do next? We can't just muzzle all the gossips..."

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaid ]
Old 07-29-2003, 05:42 AM   #113
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Betuli had finally done all her duties. She was planning on taking a small nap, but then she reminded herself that she had to go and pick up her dress, which she had left at Diorwyn's place earlier that day.

She walked down the halllway and found Diorwyn's room. She knocked on the door and went in. She was very much surprised when she saw tree ladies inside the room. Diorwyn had guests. Eleniel and Averyll were sitting there too.

"Hi, " Betuli said akwardly. She was a bit embarrassed for just bursting in. "I'm sorry if I was interrupting or anything, I was just here for my dress, that's all..." She continued.

"Oh, no," said Eleniel.

"We were just talking about you," Averyll said.

"You were?? How come, if I may ask," Betuli said, seeming very much surprised indeed.

"Well, we were talking about the Lady Findulias, and Diorwyn here, said that you had heard rumours as well." Averyll said. Her eyes were looking at Betuli and she seemed serious.

"Yes, that's right, I did heard some rumours," Betuli confirmed, while finding herself a seat.

"So what did you hear then?" Eleniel asked eagerly and Betuli thought she heard some giggling.

"Well, I heard that some ladies, down the hall, said that Finduilas wasn't from Dol Amroth. She wasn't the person she claimed to be and some even called her an imposter!" Betuli asnwered quickly, while her temper was rising.

"You then? What did you hear? " Betuli asked at the moment she had finished her story.

"Well, we heard something of the same sort." Averyll said. Betuli nodded, she was concerned everyone could see that.

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]

Old 07-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #114
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Meirelle finished making Alethea's bed and sighed. Rubbing her back, she took a last look around the room to make sure that it was perfect. Satisfied, Meirelle stepped out of Alethea's room and made her way back towards the kitchen. When she reached it, she picked up a plate of dainties and tapped an older maid as she walked by. "Ma'am," she began. "Ma'am, are these dainties to be served at the luncheon?"

The woman looked at the plate and nodded. Meirelle thanked her and started to walk towards the luncheon. When she reached the room in which it was held, she slipped inside and set the plate upon a table. As she turned to leave, Meirelle spied some empty, soiled serving plates and gathered them up.

When she reached the kitchen with her stack of dirty plates, Meirelle deposited them in the sink and turned to go back to the servants' quarters for a rest. As she passed one door, she heard a voice say, "Finduilas wasn't the person who she claimed to be." Meirelle kept walking, but she started to giggle to herself. What a good job these women did spreading rumours! You would think they were telling the truth! Meirelle thought, and had to restrain herself from laughing out loud.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 AM   #115
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Concluding the Luncheon

Lunch was served and Emilia, Elena, and Dryea took their place at the table, eating the delectable cuisine that had been roasted, steamed, and in the mushroom’s case, grilled. Both nervous and excited about her mother’s accomplishments during the little get together, Dryea could hardly get past her appetizer let alone touch her entrée. The wine was good though, Dryea admitted. Dorwinion wine was served all across Middle Earth, even in Umbar, and Dryea had an acquired a partiality taste for it.

At the conclusion of the meal, ladies began to take their leave, politely thanking Pelien for her hospitality.

“We thoroughly enjoyed your company, Lady Pelien,” said Ruiel as Alethea and Dryea stood on either side of her, “and hope to return the favor one day.”

“It was my pleasure Lady Ruiel,” she answered graciously.

The coach was waiting for them back at the steward’s mansion, ready to take them home. Dryea climbed in to the dark purple interior of the carriage and took the seat across from Ruiel and beside Alethea. The ride home was silent. The trio had nothing to speak of that could be overheard by the driver and his companion so all conversations were postponed until they were inside their own residence.

Behind them, in a similar coach rode Meirelle, Rhe, Gwen and Ranne. The four maids had spent their morning well tidying up and packing. Ruiel was much appreciative that they were able to leave immediately thanks to their diligent and assiduous effort.

The ride home was rough and Dryea had much to reflect upon. How could her mother risk such a thing. Ar-Pharazon! Though as Dryea turned the idea over and over in her head it suddenly became more believable. It was true indeed that in the high circles of Dol Amroth, the subject of Finduilas had been a scarce one. Her match with Denethor, Dryea speculated, had always been recognized, therefore deleting any interest of conversation—or more correctly, petty gossip, with the Dol Amroth hoi polloi. Also by revealing her connection with Ar-Pharazon it still kept Finduilas as a Dol Amroth citizen preventing silly maids from making the mistake she wasn’t from there at all.

Dryea suppressed a giggle as she though upon the expressions of the nobles if the rumor was twisted to grotesquely to even state that she was of corsair blood herself. Ruiel’s eldest daughter amused herself by picture Finduilas in the rich garb of a woman corsair and mounting the plank to her sire’s ship. Oh that would be witty. Finduilas didn’t have what it took to be a corsair anyhow: charm and exceptionally good looks? There is no way that any woman would last long with those two sole qualities.

Dropping her thoughts momentarily, Dryea gazed through the slit in the curtained window as they were taken down the cobblestone road passed the magnificent front gardens of nearby houses. The hedges were all trimmed perfectly and the gorse-bushes and blackberry brambles lined the fronts of the houses giving it the affluent look of a nobleman’s residence.

It wasn’t a long distance from there to the Morthaniawen Estate at all and they arrived much sooner even than Dryea anticipated. The horses were driven right up through the black iron gates to the steps that led up to the large mahogany double-doors. The coachman opened the entrance to the carriage and the three women stepped out: Ruiel first followed by Dryea then Alethea.

“Welcome home Madame,” said Adolfe, their butler as the doors were opened allowing the house’s mistresses to enter. Hats, gloves, and parasols were taken by maids up to their chambers as the three women went to see to the unpacking of their belongings.

“Go ahead and have those things taken right up Rhe and unpacked. I trust you don’t need my supervision.” The maid curtsied and ordered two male servants to see the things where they belonged. Dryea then turned to her mother who was watching her speculatively.

“You wanted to speak to me?” Dryea nodded and followed as her mother beckoned her into one of the rooms that didn’t have a normal entrance by door and instead opened as Ruiel pulled aside a tapestry and lifted the handle by the floor crown-moulding with her foot. The wall swung open and the two women entered.

The room was lined with shelves that held books a noblewoman of Gondor would never keep in her library. These books were on the histories of the Morthaniawen’s race, herb recipes you wouldn’t find at an ordinary apothecary, and others of the necessary sort for Ruiel and her daughter’s professional and personal uses. A long narrow worktable stood in the center of the very back wall. Here laid open jars and books: remnants from Ruiel’s last project left unfinished.

Now Lady Morthaniawen turned to her daughter, her expression relaxed now that she was around things she knew and was comfortable with.

“What is it?” she asked insensitively. Dryea stepped forward and looked her mother directly in the eye. This action showed that she considered herself an equal and wanted to be treated as such.

“Mother, are you mad? No one will fall for such a thing as what you said at the luncheon!!”

“But I didn’t say it. The gossip did,” she said this so matter-of-factly that Dryea thought that would be the extent of the exchange.

“I still don’t think it was—” Ruiel cut her off.

“That’s why I’m the one who does the thinking around here. You’ll see just how clever it was. I planned carefully Dryea. It shan’t go amiss.” She paused and went over to her worktable before adding, “Has anything ever?”

“No,” said Dryea feeling quite defeated. “I hope this shan’t be the first time.” She didn’t wait to see the slightly irritated expression on her mother’s face before she turned and disappeared behind the wall and emerged past the tapestry on the other side startling a maid who almost toppled a vase. Dryea sent her a reproachful glare before finding her way through the labyrinth of halls to her chambers.

The Morthaniawen home was cleverly decorated to accommodate both backgrounds imperceptibly. The location and sequence as to where decorations, earthenware, tapestries, paintings, and furniture was placed could be deciphered by a man (or woman) with either lineage and still suppose that the residents of the home were allies when they could be either. There could be a large painting of a corsair hero hanging point blank upon the wall as long as it was flanked on either side by tapestries of ancient kings of men and no one would guess a thing. Dyrea personally couldn’t stand looking at the Gondorian objet d'arts but was grateful at least that she could identify paintings of her own heroes. Even if a loyalist asked the reason for a pirate’s portrait in the lounge (for example), she would decidedly answer that wouldn’t a king likewise hold paintings of his conquered? The matter was hardly then pursued.

The rooms in the mansion were standard: numerous guestrooms, study, library, conservatory, dining hall, dining room, ball room (or open room with doors that led out to the back patio and rear gardens), parlor, breakfast room, sunroom: your basic noble’s estate. However, there were certain inclusions inside this house that would most likely be absent in others. There are necessary amenities such as storerooms, private offices and libraries, workrooms and secure and unobserved access to the stables on the 6th Level of the city, the Gate and the streets. Through these additions, the Morthaniawen’s had a first hand access to everything they’d need or want right of entry to in the city.

Rhe was leaving Dryea’s room just as she arrived. “Anything else you needed?” the maid asked tiredly bowing her head in respect. Dryea thought about it quickly, checking to see if her decanter was refreshed with her preference then shook her head.

“No, you can go on. I’ll ring for someone if I do.” Rhe left then, closing the doors behind her so that it clicked and locked into place: a necessary precaution.

Dryea’s room was a classic Umbarian suite complete with an affluent canopy bed and exotic fabrics covering the sofa, chairs and a matching down comforter was spread over the bed. In front of the windows hung matching colors of solid prints underneath diaphanous drapes to permit every measurement of sunlight. These had been thrown back to reveal huge windows that looked out to the gardens surrounding the Morthaniawen estate.

Dryea ignored the beauties outside and glided mist like to her vanity where she sat looking exhaustedly at her reflection. It pleased her in a satisfactory way. Her skin was fair and bright, clear of any sort of blemishes. The bottom half of her auburn hair hung down around her slender neck and collarbones while the upper was woven into an intricate bun and pinned in the center back of her head. It was a little past noon and Dryea hadn’t anything else planned for the day, so, taking up a book she had chosen from the open library in her house, she donned a simple hat and took up her parasol to sit in the garden and read peacefully until tea.

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 07-30-2003, 11:12 AM   #116
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Adrama stood at the door, politely bidding farewell to all the guests as her mother had instructed her to do. When Alethea approached her, there was a lingering moment where they looked at each other, and then Adrama smiled and said a few courteous words. She was eager to know Alethea better. Perhaps they could be friends?

The last guest left the house, and Adrama closed the door. She stood there for a moment, her back to the door and her hands behind her holding the knob, deep in thought. At last she looked up and again and crossed the room to Pelien. Slipping her arm through her mother's, she smiled up at her and said, "Mother, your luncheon was positively grand, and I do believe your guests quite enjoyed it."

"Did you enjoy it, dear?" said Pelien rather absently.

"Yes, Mother, I did," Adrama replied truthfully. "Alethea seems much like myself. Maybe I can become friends with her." Adrama hesitated, wondering if she should present the question that was in her mind to her mother. After all, would Pelien even know the answer? "Mother... is it true? I mean all this talk about Finduilas being related to Ar-Pharazon?"

A little hope was burning inside of her. Her mind was working much the same way as her mother's had at the luncheon. If Finduilas was related to Ar-Pharazon, and word of it came to Denethor's ears, how could he possibly wish to wed with her still? And that would leave him open for any woman in Gondor, but the one he would turn to would be herself, Adrama, because... Adrama bit her lip, puzzled. Why would he turn to her? Because she was the obvious choice!

Adrama looked earnestly up at Pelien. "Well, Adrama..." she said slowly and thoughtfully. She didn't say anything more for a few moments, then she smiled confidently. "I did believe it to sound a bit far-fetched at first, but what Elena said seemed to make perfect sense, and Dryea thought it might be true."

Adrama nodded. If Dryea thought so, than so it was. Not only was she extremely likeable and enchanting, but she also seemed to have a great deal of wisdom.

Satisfied, Adrama planted a kiss on her mother's cheek. "Thank you for the wonderful luncheon, Mother," she said. "I really did enjoy myself." Feeling happiness build up inside her at her mother's pleased expression, she retreated to her room and looked out her window. Everything seemed to be going so perfectly. As long as Addruran didn't come, she knew the remainder of the day would go wonderfully. But one of the most wonderful things would be meeting Alethea... really meeting her. Her thoughts strayed in that direction.

Alethea... she had seemed quite a likeable girl, though Adrama had noticed something strange while Alethea had been speaking to her mother. Not exactly rude, but it could hardly be called polite. Then again, Adrama herself hadn't been the perfect picture when she had stated that their mothers were wrong, that the two of them would have nothing in common. That had been rather foolish to say.

She thought back to how intelligent the girl had been. If Adrama had been the one in her place, she probably would have said something shocking that would upset her mother, but Alethea spoke in the manner that most annoyed Adrama... simple, absurd little questions that weren't worth answering. How sensible that had been, with the never-faltering eyes of their mothers on them!

And then Alethea's reaction when Adrama had confessed her feelings for Finduilas... Adrama had quite been looking forward to that. It had been shock, but Alethea had not been horrified. And had Adrama only been imagining it, or was there a faint look of admiration on Alethea's face for a brief moment? Oh, how pleased she had felt when Alethea had said she felt the same. She had also asked why. Adrama felt a little nervous then. Would Alethea think her silly once she confessed exactly why she hated Finduilas.

Don't think of that, Adrama told herself. Alethea seems to be much like me, and to honestly admit something would be a cause for admiration, at least to my eyes. She dropped that subject from her mind. "I wonder," she mused aloud. "Yes, I do wonder. I wonder why Alethea hates Finduilas." She tried to think of a sensible reason, but at last she shrugged and her thoughts left Alethea entirely with the murmured words, "Well, I suppose tomorrow I shall learn the answer to that!"

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 07-31-2003, 12:42 PM   #117
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Diorwyn looked around; her small room seemed so full! It was not merely that three visitors were more than it could comfortably accommodate; the very air seemed heavy with the rumours they discussed. She smiled at Averyll’s exclamation and said, “Muzzle the gossips! That is an enticing thought, but unfortunately, their words have already done considerable damage. Nothing we can say will change the opinions of the Minas Tirith nobility, but we can fight fire with fire.”

“Whatever do you mean?” Eleniel asked, puzzled.

“I mean, the only weapon we have to encounter the rumours is to start other rumours,” explained Diorwyn.

Betuli wondered, “How can we do that? We do not know any rumours about the people here that we could spread.”

“First we need to find out more about the Minas Tirith nobles,” the seamstress replied. “Who would profit from Finduilas’ ruined reputation? Let us try to get information discretely; I have some contacts in the city whom I can ask. Keep your eyes and ears open; when we know more, we will find a way to defend our princess.”

With a sparkle in their eyes and determination in their steps, the three young women left Diorwyn’s room to begin the task they had set themselves. Halfway down the hall, Betuli suddenly remembered the reason she had come to the seamstress. She hurried back to find Diorwyn standing in the doorway, holding her dress out to her. With a stammered “Thank you!”, the maid turned to carry the repaired clothing to her room.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #118
Ealasaid
Wight

Sting

After leaving Diorwyn’s room, Averyll and Eleniel headed back up the stairs and out of the servants’ quarters. Averyll felt better for having talked to Betuli and the seamstress, and was truly relieved that they finally had a plan of action in mind.

“I guess we should find Vieana,” Averyll said to Eleniel.

Eleniel nodded. “She should be in on this with us.”

Averyll agreed. “But we do still have to be careful that Finduilas and Tessa hear nothing of it.”

“Right!” Eleniel smiled. “Not even a hint.”

To seal the deal, the two ladies linked pinkies. Averyll, then, turned and ran down the wide hallway toward the dining room. Laughing, Eleniel followed. By the time they arrived back at the entrance to the dining room, both ladies were breathless and giggling. Averyll threw the door open to find the other three ladies, Finduilas, Tessa, and Vieana still lingering over coffee. The three of them looked up in surprise at Averyll’s and Elen’s boisterous entrance.

Finduilas smiled up at them, and raised her fine eyebrows, curious to be let in on the joke.

Averyll bent over to catch her breath, shaking her head at Finduilas. “I was trying to find the kitchen and ended up in the servants’ quarters,” she panted.

Eleniel laughed. “I did the same thing and I found her.”

“Ah!” Finduilas smiled. “We were just having coffee.” She gestured to the silver coffee service. “Join us?”

“That would be splendid!” Averyll took the seat she had vacated earlier. “You know I never did find the kitchen. I gave the wine pitcher to a maid. Did she ever bring more wine?”

“Yes, she did!” answered Tessa. “And an absolutely scrumptious fruit tart… which you missed.” She grinned mischievously.

Averyll threw up her hands. “I always leave at the wrong moment.”

They all laughed. Vieana poured coffee into cups for Averyll and Eleniel and handed them to the two ladies. “We were just talking about flowers for the wedding,” said Vieana. “I was thinking orchids and white roses.”

“Orchids!” exclaimed Eleniel. From there, the conversation evolved into a lively discussion of the relative merits of one type of flower over another, color, meanings of the individual blooms, and so on until finally Finduilas shook her head, waving one elegant hand in front of her face.

“I’m glad you’re not choosing my dress!” she laughed. “You would never agree on anything and I would have to be married in my dressing gown!”

“And, speaking of dresses,” Tessa said, looking at the clock. “Don’t you have a fitting with Diorwyn in about ten minutes?”

“Oh, my goodness!” Finduilas looked first at the clock, then at the other ladies. “She’s right. We must fly. You’ll excuse us?”

Vieana, Averyll, and Eleniel all nodded and made agreeable noises. They watched as Finduilas and Tessa swept out of the room on the way to the fitting. Once they had gone, Averyll and Elen brought Vieana in on the conversation they had had with Betuli and Diorwyn. Vieana listened with a grave look on her face.

“So, it’s already spread through the servants’ quarters?” she asked. “And we know the guards have heard something.”

Elen and Averyll nodded.

“Betuli is going to speak with some of the servants, see if she can find out where their information is coming from,” Averyll told her. “Diorwyn says she has some friends here as well.”

“So, I guess we should go visit some of the fine ladies of Minas Tirith.”

Averyll nodded again. “That’s the plan.”

[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaid ]
Old 08-01-2003, 03:37 AM   #119
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

"Preposterous, absolutely preposterous, what those women were saying." Síriel stomped one small foot on the pavement outside Tíriel's small house near the garrison where Gaerlin was head. It was, in Síriel's mind, far too modest a residence for the daughter and eldest child of the Ruling Steward, but it contented her sister, and she supposed that must be enough.

"Horrible," she continued, the rancor in her voice building. "To think we would sully our line with descendents of that man." She had heard whispers over lunch and she did not like the idea at all. "Denethor simply cannot marry her. We may know she's alright, but her public reputation will be utterly spoiled, Tír." Síriel's lower lip quivered as she pondered their disgrace should such a marriage ever happen.

Tíriel looked at her sister with a mix of amusement and disgust. "Síriel, do be reasonable. Nobody will believe such a ludicrous tale. You know Finduilas' descent as well as I do." Perhaps, she thought with a shock, she never paid enout attention to know Finduilas' descent. She never did care about schooling... Perhaps she thinks Finduilas really may be descended from the Usurper. "Sír, it's ridiculous. It really is. The Princes of Dol Amroth are part elven, even. They're as respectable as you and I. And this will all blow over."

With that said she went into the house, more determined to make Finduilas feel welcome. Of course such talk would be everywhere just now, it was just the jealousy of those catty women who had never deserved her brother anyway. But Tíriel was sure that after the marriage it would all die down and be forgotten. Síriel's blatant snobbery was something else entirely, what would she do with her sister?

Síriel turned back to the carriage to return to her father's house on the Seventh Circle. However, her disgruntled musings on Finduilas and her rumors was broken by a smooth male voice. "Lady Síriel! What a pleasure! Although you don't look very happy to see me..." A hand appeared in front of her. Following the hand up the arm revealed Thenidir, the soldier she'd admired from afar. His lips were still twisted into that ironic grin of his, but he was handsome as ever, and courteous at that.

"Good afternoon, sir." She said, with her widest smile. "I don't believe we've been formally introduced."

"Thenidir." He stated, stepping back and making an elaborate bow. "At your service of course." He extended his hand to her once again, and she placed hers in it, glad she had thought to wear lace gloves.

"Service?" Síriel giggled. "I don't suppose you could be of service to me, just now, thank you." Her heart raced in her chest as she spoke, and she flapped her long eyelashes against her cheek. He was so deliciously handsome, just what she liked, with his broad jawline and grey eyes sparkling at her.

"Allow me to demonstrate how useful I can be. I can hand you into your carriage, for a start." He said, with a quick wink, and proceeded to do so, tucking her skirt in around her as she sat and looked out at him. She nodded, and tried to look shocked at his presumption. "And I'm sure I can prove myself more useful still if you'll consent to go walking with me." His tone left no doubt that she would accept. Women always accepted when Thenidir proposed such an outing. Síriel did not disappoint him.

"Leave a card with my father's head retainer," she said, with the same exaggerated smile. "And I'll send a message right away." She extended her hand to him again and he pressed his lips to it briefly before spinning on his heel and walking away. A lot of cheek, that woman had, and not terribly well mannered. His eyes twinkled with fun. All the better.

Síriel spun in her seat and watched as he walked away, barely feeling the jolt when her coach started up to carry her back to her father's house.

[ August 04, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:07 AM   #120
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Betuli had left the room to Diorwyn, without her dress. When she found out she was quite embarrassed. She ran over again and got her dress back. Diorwyn the seamstress had sewed some nice stitches where the large split had been earlier that same day. The dress was now as good as new.

In the evening Betuli, as planned, "sought one of the servants.

"Hi," Betuli said in kind voice as she reached the servant.

"Hello," answered the servant politely.

"How have you been?" Betuli asked after a moment with silence from both. "It's been quite some time since I've seen you." She continued.

"Yes, well, there are a much going on in these days. Today was the luncheon..." The servant said.

"Yes, you have a point there, I have been very busy myself lately. Duties are always calling..." Betuli said, interrupting the servant.

Betuli went quiet for a while, listening to the servant. She was beginning to get bored when she heard Finduilas name.

"What did you say?" She asked impatiently.

"You know the rumours, don't you?" The servant said. Betuli gave some short nods.

"So, where did you hear those rumours?" Betuli asked, she seemed excited and anxious to get the answer. Suddenly she noticed that she had been stearing in the floor for quite some time. She pulled herself together and looked up at the servant, waiting for the answer.

The answer, however, never came. The servant had rushed over in the other direction, screaming to Betuli that they'd have to talk later.

"Later?" She yelled back in a frustrated voice. "Later.....Later?" she muttered a bit angry.