User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2002, 09:42 PM   #321
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was first light, and Tuor stormed to the railing to see what had happened for himself. One of his keen-sighted elven sailors had alerted him that the catamaran was no longer anchored with the other ships.
'Damn that elf!', he exclaimed, hitting the wood of the railing with his fist. 'She had agreed to move out together with us. What in the Void was she thinking?' The crew near him backed away enough to be at a safe range as he blew off steam. But a strange sound assailed their ears, a sort of muffled, congested sort of snorting. One of the elves drew forward to see if Tuor needed assistance. He motioned the rest of the crew to step forward and see this amazing sight, Tuor was not in the midst of some apoplectic fit, he was laughing.

'Sir?' asked one of the sailors,'What's so funny?'

'It just struck me - here I am condemning her for the very thing I would have done when I was younger!' He wiped the tears of mirth from his eyes and then composed himself. Once again the Captain, he gave orders for the rest of the ships to hoist anchor and be ready to set sail immediately. 'She's brave. I'll give her credit for that, but she's still going to need our backup!!'

The Lady Idril heard the command to sail and made her way quickly to the helm. She rechecked the coordinates with the helmsman and then went on deck to brief the crew of her ship. They were to be the lead ship, the one going to meet the ship which the Blue Wizards would send. Theirs would be the task of delivering the hostages for bargaining. It was a grim task at best, but she would make it as safe as possible for all concerned.

Bird wiped her sweaty palms on her breeches, and strapped on her sling holder with it's full complement of ammo close at hand. She was glad that they were on their way at last, that they were doing something, anything. She tied a piece of sea-washed white cloth around her left arm; it still had a bit of lace on it. She patted it once when it was secured -- 'For Rose!'.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:42 PM   #322
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo sighed,

Sam, I dont know why it is always me. I do not like it anymore than you. *sniff* Wait, why is it always me?? I do not have to be the one always running to the rescue now do I?
Frodo's eyes blazed. He look almost like he had at the Cracks of Doom when he tried to claim the Ring. He shook himself?
"Sam! Tell me I did not say that!! Oh no!"
Old 06-17-2002, 09:51 PM   #323
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Sam stepped back. He looked frightened.

Sam: "Oh, what have I done..."
He fell on his knees and grabbed the hem of Frodo's waistcoat.

Sam: Oh, sir, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to bring that out in you! Please sir, forgive me! I just meant that you've been through enough! That's all I meant, sir! Please, why can't it be just me alone!

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-17-2002, 10:10 PM   #324
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Lady Idril returned from the deck to the lower cabin. She knew how anxious her captains looked, each desiring to strike ahead. For anything was better to them than the unknowable and the waiting. But, even so they must hold. She and Tuor cautioned the flotilla to tarry until a final answer would come.

The Elven Lady looked long at the two forlorn hobbits who stood still in her cabin with arms interlaced. Then she gently placed her hands on either side of Frodo's head. She tilted Frodo's face upwards and looked deeply into his eyes. She looked away and gently shook her head.

"Frodo, this choosing must be of your own will. For not even your good friend Samwise has the standing or the right to say yea or nay for you. But I will say truth to you, because there are two wizards, there must be two halflings. The balance must be maintained."

"And none of your people are here unless you would send Primrose or Child in your place. And though their hearts are willing, this is not their doom."

"Nor can I say why some are given heavy burdens in life, while others seem to slip through with so little care or strife. For even Manwe has not the answer for such mysteries. But do not forget that, in the end of time, all will be made right."

"And this I do know. When the powers above choose, they do not load upon a single soul more than he or she can bear. So take heart and do not forget that there is meaning and purpose to this."

"So you, Frodo, are the giver of hope, though in your own heart, you may ofen feel hope bereft. Why this mystery should be I can not say. But choose now. For your friend Mithadan falls deeper and deeper into the Shadow. And if you tarry longer, I fear for his soul."

Child scribbled furiously, her nose to the parchment, as Idril sat back to await their word, and the flotilla hung silent in the water.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-17-2002, 10:15 PM   #325
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam sighed deeply. He looked up at Frodo's face from his place on his knees, hoping that he was seeing his friend come back to himself.
Sam: *mumbling* I'm sorry, Mister Frodo. I didn't mean to confuse you or make anything harder. If you go...then you will not go without me.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-18-2002, 12:53 AM   #326
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The elf was cleaning her sword when Veritas found her. 'You must come now! I've finished going therough the programs on the PC and the REG and they're up and running,' said Veritas, 'though not exactly in the way you had hoped.'

Pio paused in the rubbing of oil on her blade and furrowed her forehead in question. 'What do you mean by "not in the way you had hoped"? I'm a little in the dark here. Can you draw me a clearer picture?!", she demanded.

'Better than that! Come look at the PC monitor!' Veritas pulled Pio toward the cabin.

From the door, both could see the shape of the Inland Sea and the landforms defining its perimeter. There was a small image of a ship just near the inlet to the larger area of the sea.'That must be us.',said Pio, pointing to it.

To the south and west were a number of ship images which were just turning to move north and east toward the single ship. They were still quite a distance off, and were moving slowly. 'Yes, and those are our companions' ship and the others who are coming to fight with us.', said Veritas. 'But look at this ship image, here.' she said tracing a slow moving vessel just coming down from the north and east. 'This is a ship we know nothing about.'

'Well, we know one thing,'said Pio, 'all our ships' images are in white, and that single one is a definite blue!'

'This is a new wrinkle in the problem.' thought Pio. 'We were supposed to get in position, and then the offer was to be made to the Blue Wizards, who would then come to meet us. But now it looks as if they mean to make the first strike.'

'Pio, we need to contact the other ships and let them know what's happening. They could be sailing blindly into a trap!'

Veritas handed Pio the silver cell phone, having pressed speed-dial #2. But all that Pio could get was the voice mail service saying the number was 'unavailable', and 'please leave a message'. She left a brief one, but with little hope. As she recalled, the batteries on the phone Child had were nearly, if not actually, dead.

Pocketing the cell, she took Veritas out onto the deck and showed her where the helmsman stood. 'Tell her that I wish her to belay that last order to hold a steady course. We need to drop anchor. And I will try another way to relay our news.'

'Another way?', thought Veritas, watching Pio walk toward the stern, and settle herself at the edge, her legs hanging over the side.

The elf leaned back on her outstretched arms and relaxed her body. Focusing her attention, open-eyed on the clear sky, she relaxed her mind. Tendrils of directed thought reached out across the long sea distance, toward a familar mind:

Idril, I have urgent news. Are you there?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:24 AM   #327
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Idril heard within her head a distant summons from Piosenniel, the Elf who had seemed so strangely fearful of her. But now, the message came with a clear and urgent voice. "Remain in your present position and carefully watch the approaching blue ship so as not to be caught in a trap for we know not its purpose and intent."

She nodded her head in agreement, and excused herself a few minutes from Samwise and Frodo to check on matters above deck. Idril also instructed the two hobbits to convey her a firm yea or nay once they had reached a decision.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:36 AM   #328
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie heard the command to "drop anchor!" and "lower sails!" She stamped her foot in frustration. "Raise the sails. Lower the sails. Weigh anchor. Drop anchor. What is going on now? I wish the Blue Wizards would come now and be done with it. Anything but this waiting!"

Birdie saw Child stiding purposely across the deck and hailed her. "Child! What happens? Why do we stop?"

"Veritas says the Blue Wizards may be headed our way!" Child called back.

"Oh."
Old 06-18-2002, 08:20 AM   #329
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan growled at Mistress Rose and drew a knife from a sheath on his hip. "Consider carefully young lady," he said. "For if you will not aid us, then Miss. Baggins you are baggage to be discarded at the first opportunity!"

The Blue Wizard Alatar laughed evilly and prodded Rose with his staff. "Then, Miss. Bag, stay still and trouble us not. Perhaps we will carry you a bit farther. But if you stir, you will not live to see the grand reunions which will soon occur. We go to meet my brother Pallandro and your foolish friends and then you may find us less gentle!"
Old 06-18-2002, 08:35 AM   #330
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio had drifted off into a light daze after trying to contact Idril and was lying on the deck, her arm over her eyes. She felt someone shaking her shoulder.

'Wake up! Wake up, Pio!!', urged Veritas.
'The monitor is now tracking another blue ship heading from another direction.'

Pio sat up groggily and shook her head. She looked at the PC wch Veritas had brought to her. 'D@mn', she thought.

She stood up and faced toward the elven ship once more.

Idril, there is now another blue ship - coming from behind your position. Send Angara to me.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #331
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Meneli turned to her children, their armies, and their ships...

"Well, it seems that we are not needed. Do what you will, and I'll decide what I shall do."

Estelawinyawen looked at her mother and said, "Well, we are going to go home. You'll be okay?"

Menelduliniel sighed and said, "Yes, I suppose I will be.

She watched as her children sailed away.

"Now what to do?" Meneli thought to herself, "I'll go see...if I can find Legolas. I wonder where he has gotten off too. Maybe he'll apologize...no, he never does. Why would he now?"

She sails back towards Valinor to find Legolas...
Old 06-18-2002, 09:52 AM   #332
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rose couldn't beleive Mithadan's words. She was frightened more then ever. But the wizard's laugh had stirred her heart and brought out the little courage she had left. She put her hand to the hilt of her sword, slowly rose to her feet, and turned to face the man in blue. "You hidious snake. You have poisoned his heart. I'll make you pay. I do not fear you."

What a liar she was. She was very frightend of him but she would not let anyone know that.
I am such a fool.she thought.I have gone recklessly into danger and now I may perish for it.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-18-2002, 09:58 AM   #333
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child stared in disbelief at the approach of the two blue ships. She felt like a small creature caught in the pincers of a sea lobster.

But none of this was her concern. She had to be ready to transfer over to the Blue Wizards at a moment's notice, whether they were still on land or sailing towards her in these seemingly mysterious ships. She knew she could not openly carry weapons, but she took two small daggers and girded them on a belt underneath her petticoats.

She sensed that Frodo and Samwise were still together, seeing and speaking to no one else. Child felt empathy tugging at her heart, for she had the feeling they were going over once again that whole series of events that had led to Frodo's wounding of heart in the matter of the Ring.

No one understood as they did what Evil could do to the human soul, even one that stood in league with goodness to fight against the Shadow.

Child knew Frodo was frightened, and it was not the Blue Wizards that he feared. Rather, it was that which lay in his own heart, and over which he felt he had no control.

But Child was a hobbit herself, and she believed he was made of deeper stuff. "If only Gandalf or Galadriel were here," Child thought. "For Frodo barely knows Idril, and he is not one to open up his heart quickly to those he does not know."

Still, Child refused to give in to despair. She glared across the horizon at the vessels coming ever closer as if they were all caught in a noose.

If I have to, she reflected, I will go onto that platform by myself, and at least wrench Rose out by stealth if need be. For Child had the hobbit gift of quiet entrance and slipping into small corners. And although she was no great one such as Frodo and Sam who could stand against the might of the Blue Wizards, she would not let her friend perish on that ship. Better that she and Rose should die together, she grimly thought, than Rose should stand alone.

Child knew that Anagara was helping Pio and Bird and Tuor in their tactics and plans. Yet she knew, too, that if they were in trouble aboard that Blue vessel, and Angara sensed the fear of her mistress, the dragon would turn to aid her, even it it meant her own death. Child wished in her heart that they had a dozen such winged creatures to support their cause.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:22 AM   #334
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan stepped towards Rose and swang an open hand at her face, missing by inches and instead smacking her upheld arm. "How dare you!" he cried. "You know not what you speak of. The depths of the Wizards' knowledge is far beyond your simple understanding. They will usher in a new world beyond your ken!" He aimed a kick at her ribs, again missing by inches as she scuttled away to cower in a corner.

"Enough Mithadan!" cried Alatar. "Do not waste time on this fool. She may yet serve a purpose in our plans whether she wills it or not."

"Stay where you are and be silent," cried the Man as he menaced the young Hobbit with his dagger. He reached into his pouch and pulled out a piece of Lembas which he dropped before Rose. "Stuff your face. That's all your kind are good for," he snarled.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:56 AM   #335
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose sat down into a corner as Mithadan and the Blue Wizard turned to leave. As soon as the door was closed Rose flung the lembas at it in rage. "Mithadan" she shouted "I thought you to be one of the greatest in the Barrow-Downs. And I beleive that if you try you can still resist." There was no answer.

Queitly Rose crawled over to the door and tried it but she was locked inside. She sat on the floor and picked up the crumbled lembas. For she hadn't eaten in so long.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:11 AM   #336
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Frodo stared at Sam, he was still wondering why he ahd said that. He shook himself again and gnawed his left thmbnail, and old nervoud ahbit of his. He noded slowly,

"Yes, I will go. But only if Sam comes with me."
Old 06-18-2002, 11:13 AM   #337
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Behind the closed door, Alatar turns to Mithadan and says "You say she is a Baggins?"

"Indeed, answers Mith. "Rosa BAGGINS. That's her name. She is the Ringbearer's cousin and beloved by her foolish friends. They will treat with us to secure her release."

Alatar laughed. His plans were falling into place...
Old 06-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #338
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: *gulp* This does not sound good. Child, I hope you know what you're doing.
I'm a Baggins?? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2002, 12:02 PM   #339
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

After eating what she could Rose got up to look around. If she was stuck in this place she could at least become familiar with it. She picked up her sword which had been knocked out of her hands before. She was astonished upon inspection that the blade showed no sign of rust. "Bless you Pio for you magnificent sword." Rose walked about the room taking note of anything that could help her later.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:19 PM   #340
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Rose OOC - LOL I have no idea how this is going to work out!! Pio and Bird first had the hostage idea. Pio is away during the day and will be back this evening. Hope she knows! I'll be gone several hours to my son's orientation at a new high school this evening. You guys can move my character along tagging behind Frodo and Sam if you want to. Will post later tonight.

So you are a Baggins!!! Congratulations on your rise in status.

Like Galadriel, Idril had the gift of far seeing. In her mind she could picture quite vividly the drenched and bruised figure of Rose huddled on the deck, as reflected in the minds of the Blue Wizards. Through these same images, she could also see the actions of Lord Mithadan.

Strangely enough, she could not get into the mind of Mithadan himself. Idril pondered on this, and thought of several reasons, some with small hope attached and others bleak and hopeless. Truly, she did not know why.

When Idril came to apprise Child of the situation, she wondered whether she had done well to report Rose's condition. For Child furiously paced the deck, and even started to untie the rigging of a small rescue vessel kept for emergency purposes on the leeward side.

Idril cautioned Child against rashness, and managed to appease her by reporting that Frodo had bravely agreed to the foolhardy plan, which now seemed the only hope left.

Idril shook her head. "Do not be rash! The ships of Meneli chose to depart so we are even weaker than before. I have sent a message to that fair lady asking her to return, but I fear her heart is bent only on Aman."

So now," Idril noted, "We wait for Samwise's final consent and for the two Ringbearers to gird themselves to go forward. And you, Child, are you ready to go behind them to try and wrest Rose from their control?"

Child turned around and glared, "When this affair first became known, I did not believe I had it in my heart to go against Lord Mithadan who has been both a guide and a friend to me. But now that I have seen his purpose and design, I would gladly oppose him and all that he stands for even if it cost me my life."
Old 06-18-2002, 01:33 PM   #341
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: Let's see...........part elf, part Baggins. What's next? Part dwarf? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Oh the possibitites.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:35 PM   #342
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"Soon we will intercept your friends' vessels," gloated Alatar. "We had intended on using force to capture those that we need. But the appearance of the Baggins girl makes that unneccessary. We shall offer a trade - a Baggins for a Baggins. The girl for the Ringbearer and his companion. Once we have the Ringbearer, none will resist or assail us for fear of doing him harm."

Mithadan frowned. "We will let the others go? We will not destroy them?" he asked.

"Once we have the Ringbearer, we can take the others at our leisure," replied Alatar. "We need them for our breeding program, after all. Luring them to the open ocean away from all help was our initial plan. But when they became wary, we pulled back and intended on merely destroying the ships and plucking out the survivors. The flaw in the plan was the possibility that the Ringbearer might be slain. Your little friend has solved that problem. Once we have Frodo, we can address how to capture the remainder with as little trouble as possible. They will likely follow us making things even easier."

Mithadan smiled and patted his sword. "There will be no trouble. We do not need all of them, do we?"
Old 06-18-2002, 03:37 PM   #343
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The afternoon dragged on with unaccustomed slowness. Child kept an eye on Idril who appeared both silent and thoughtful. Angara had spent most of the day performing various tasks between the ships at the bidding of Pio and Bird.

The dragon, however, had disappeared for several hours, and Child was beginning to wonder where she had gone. When suddenly, above her head, there came a strange noise, as a great whirring and the sound of gliding things.

All in the ship looked to the sky, for Angara was high above, spinning from one end of the vessel to the other and taking obvious pride in her strength. Child had seen her wayward pride on other occasions, but this time what she saw filled her with awe.

For spinning with Child were five other dragons, each a different color of the rainbow, some smaller and some larger than the other. Angara trumpeted her warning: "These are my kin, all that were left from the First Age, after the attack of the Dark. For surly you know, that in the Music no creature was formed evil or without will of their own. We are all that are left of these orignal creations for the rest were spoiled in the marring of Arda. Now, I will not say we are good. For good is one thing to a dragon and another to a man. But we are loyal to those whom we care for, and we hate the Shadow for what it did to our kin."

"Our services, fare Idril and Tuor, are at your command." Angara bowed and tilted her head with a silent acknowledgment to Child.

Child's heart filled with something close akin to what mere mortals call a mother's pride.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:58 PM   #344
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Frodo had fallen asleep while reading. For some reason he saw the plans of the Istari as if it were already happenning. Nothing new, things like that had happened before. But this time it was so vivid.......

Frodo woke with a scream of no that would nearly have shattered glass. Then he curled up in a corner whimpering...
Old 06-18-2002, 04:07 PM   #345
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: anyone know what these wizard's ships are made of? It might help me.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:11 PM   #346
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<<wood maybe?>>
Old 06-18-2002, 04:36 PM   #347
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Meneli lands on the shores of Valinor. She looks around for Legolas. Soon, she finds him in a grove.

"Legolas," she calls, "It is me!"

He silently comes over and stands in front of her, "Well?" Legolas says.

"Ummm...well, we are married and all and...well...I guess you loved me sometime, because you married me. And well...what happened? Why don't you love me now? Why? That's why I have been wondering. And, if you never loved me as you claimed, why did you marry me? I bore you many children...was that the reason? I do not understand it. I've been trying to...for years and years and years. Ever since I last saw you. Why? Why, why, why? Is there a reason? Why did I come is another question. I don't know what I expected. I don't know anything anymore. I don't know-I don't know..."

She trails off and starts crying. She falls to the ground crying. The hard look in Legolas's eyes disappears and he drops to her side, comforting her.

She cries on his shoulder for some time, then he helps her up, and they just walk, silently, through the woods.

"You know, I still love you..." Legolas whispers, "It's just...different. You have your world and I have mine."

"But it doesn't have to be that way," Meneli exclaims, not in a whisper at all, "It used to be that we had the same world."

"Yes, but things change," Legolas said, still whispering, "That's what's the problem. We change. You can't seem to accept that."

"That's because I don't have to accept it," Meneli said, loudly, "We can change things again! You can change! I can change!"

"It's not that simple! Can't you see that? Or are you really as stupid as you seem?" Legolas exclaimed, raising his voice too.

"I am not stupid! I just believe in love! Love isn't stupid!"

"It is when you are expecting it to last for eternity, as we will!"

"Oh! What's the use? I just came to make up and here we are fighting again! I should have never come!"

Meneli starts to walk off, but Legolas runs after her.

"Where are you going?" Legolas demands.

"Home...wherever that will be. Maybe with Estelawinyawen...she has her own palace now. She wouldn't mind if her mother moved in with her and her husband. By the way: they're happy!"

"And we are not?"

"Do you call this happy?"

"No..."

"Exactly!" Meneli exclaimed.

Legolas stopped to think. He began slowly, "Maybe it's not all your fault, like I keep telling myself it was...maybe...maybe I am to blame as well."

"Now was that so hard?" Menelduliniel asked, patting him on the shoulder.

"Yes...it was actually," Legolas said, glaring at her a bit, but with laughter in his eyes.

"So...we are making up after, what? About 50-100 years?"

"I guess..."

"So we're fine again? You love me again?" Meneli asked hopefully.

"I always loved you," Legolas said, in an even tone.

They continued to walk through the woods, speaking of days gone by...
Old 06-18-2002, 04:44 PM   #348
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam: If you are going, Mister Frodo, you can't separate me from you.
He reached out and grabbed Frodo's hand, then looked into the Lady Idril's eyes. "Please, my Lady, Primrose is twenty years old, but she still needs taking care of wether she knows it or not. Please make sure she's...
Sam didn't finish, he just sighed.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:44 PM   #349
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Alatar's vessel had now passed the three ships sailed by the Downers and Tuor and drew near Pallando's craft. It breached the surface and drew alongside the larger ship. Pallando's vessel was large, with two great masts and bore many men. The sailors hurriedly attached lines to Alatar's vessel and, with winches, drew it up onto the deck. Alatar emerged first to be greeted by another figure clad in blue robes.

Mithadan stood by the hatch and summoned Rose. "Come along, girl," he said. "Step lively." Rose slowly stepped through the hatch to stand on the deck. As she passed Mithadan, her cloak parted slightly revealing the small sword. Mithadan seized her by the shoulders and turned her sideways. He tapped her scabbard with his knife, then, with a grim look on his face, ignored the sheathed blade and pushed her slowly towards the two wizards who were talking animatedly.

A number of armed men stood nearby. Their hair unkempt and shaggy and their eyes dull. They did not look...right, as if they were not truly men but something else. Rose reached for her sword but Mithadan again took her by the shoulders and shook her. "Show some respect for your betters, Hobbit," he said loudly. "For they may yet let you live."

Pallando looked at Rose with interest. She shuddered as he regarded her with squinted eyes. He pointed his staff at her and said "So this is a Hobbit? Doesn't look like much to me. But I'm told by my brother that you may be useful. Tie her to the mast!"

Mithadan took a coil of rope from one of the sailors and, cutting off a length, tied her hands first together and then to the mast, leaving a little slack so that she might sit. Several of the sailors leered at her, but Mithadan stepped away to stand by the two Wizards.

Over the horizon, three sails appeared and Pallando's ship closed rapidly on the vessels.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:31 PM   #350
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Now she was in a fix. Rose hadn't been able to come up with a good plan before being lead onto the deck and tied to the mast. Her hands were bound tight and she couldn't use them. She couldn't naw at the ropes either as her teath could not reach them. She tried wiggling her way out of her bonds but a man who had been set to watch her thretended her with the edge of his blade and she fell silent. What could she do? A little ways from her the two wizards and Mithadan were dicussing the plan.

And on the horizon Rose saw her friend's ship slowly aproching.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:00 PM   #351
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC: I have to get off line, now. Can't say if I'll be back again tonight.
~Samwise
Old 06-18-2002, 08:31 PM   #352
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie watched in awe as six dragons weaved and darted around the mast of their ships, like swifts 'round a chimney. It was a beautiful site, and filled her heart with a hope that had been missing since the ships had set out for their rendezvous with the Blue Wizards.

But this wouldn't do! The dragons were the only ace in the hole they had so far. Perhaps the only creatures that the Blue Wizards were not aware of on this journey.

Birdie ran over and grabbed Child by the arm. She seemed as entranced by the dragons' display as Birdie had been. "Child!", shouted Birdie "The wizards can't see the dragons! Not yet. We are supposed to be conducting a hostage exchange. If they see the wyrms, the battle will start before we are ready. Can you command them?"

"I can never command them," sighed Child. "but I can ask." And she waved her hand to Golden Angara. "Please, Angara. I beg you to ask your kin to conceal themselves until the time is right. I fear the Blue Wizards will immediately attack if they see you escorting the ships, and stealth may be the only weapon we have against them."

Angara winked at the halfling scholar, and said "Of course, my Child! For as much as we enjoy displaying our beauty and power, we are even better at concealing it!" Angara let out a screeching cry to his kin, and they immediately settled on the decks of the Elven ships.

Then Birdie and Child watched as a marvelous thing happened. The colors of the dragons' hides shifted and blurred, and within a minute, each dragon had managed to mimic exactly whatever shade of wood, or rope, or sail that lay behind them.

Birdie looked around and saw nothing but six pairs of eyes, gold and and emerald and ruby, shining back at her. Then the dragons slowly closed their eyes, and no matter how closely you looked, nothing could be seen but the sides and decks of the ships. All six dragons had disappeared in plain sight.

"Now that's some skin-changing!" Birdie thought in admiration. But things were happening fast and furious now. Above the horizon rose the mast and hull of the Blue Wizard's ships. The time was fast approaching.

"Child", said Birdie quietly, "Are the Ringbearers ready?"

"Yes, they are. Frightened to death, apparently, but I believe they will carry out their part again. After all", said Child, looking at Birdie, "If they refuse, the outcome would still be slavery and death. There is no escape at sea. None at all." murmured Child thoughtfully.

Birdie stood quietly. She had forgotten the fate that would befall the Elves, half-elves, and Elf-Hobbit Combos if the Blue Wizards should win. Slavery and transformation into Orcs, the most loathsome form of life on Middle Earth. Birdie's quick, sudden death in a battle would be a blessing compared to the "Life" granted Pio, Edril, Child and the others.

Birdie looked back at the vessel that now loomed on the horizon. It was made of black ebony wood from the Southern Forests never seen by those of the north. The sails were blue, with the symbol of Two Black Wizard Staffs Crossed. Twined around the staffs were two red hooded serpents, with glowing blue eyes. Birdie had never seen Blue as an evil color, until now.

She watched as a mysterious, sub-marine vessel, shaped like a black conch shell, was raised dripping from the sea and lowered onto the deck on the black and blue ship. The small, shadowy forms of men could be seen going about their duties, but no faces were identifiable.

Birdie realized with a start that the Blue Wizard ship was a gigantic vessel, dwarving all the Elven ships coming towards it. It was still farther away then she had originally supposed. When they reached this ship, it would tower over them like a mountain.

"Child", said Birdie, "I think it is time. And Child", she turned towards the halfing and bent down to be eye level with her. You may not see me for awhile. But I will be there. Do you understand? I WILL be there!"

"Yes", said Child, "I know. Do what you must do, Birdland."

"Shoot, shrugged Birdie, "It's the only thing I CAN do!" She smiled at Child, then walked back towards the stern, trying not to trip over disguised dragons as she went.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 06-18-2002, 08:47 PM   #353
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose thought harder then she ever had before. She was consintrating. Focousing all her mind on her task. For awhile she had wondered what she could do. Then she remembered her elven heritage. She knew that elves could somtimes speak through the mind. And now she was trying to reach someone, anyone from her friends vessils.

She kept the same message in her mind. Thinking it over and over: "I'm trapped on the ship, what's the plan? I'm trapped on the ship, what's the plan?"

Old 06-18-2002, 09:11 PM   #354
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC:Mister Frodo, I hope it's okay if I play you for awhile. If not, just tell me and I'll delete the part played by me and let you do your own thing.
----------------------------------------------
Sam came out with Frodo, still clutching his hand.
I won't leave you, Mister Frodo, I swear I won't.......
Frodo looked at Child with a calm determination in his eyes. "Are they here? We're ready. "
Old 06-18-2002, 09:15 PM   #355
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"I'm trapped on the ship, what's the plan...oh please somone hear me, I'm trapped on the ship, what's the plan?" thought Rose.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:31 PM   #356
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Rose, don't send from that ship!

Pio sent that brief message to the frightened hobbit. She wanted to give her some reassurance, but she didn't know if unfriendly minds might be able to listen in. She suspected it was so, especially with the the twin evils in such close proximity.

The large ship was now closing the distance between the elven ship, Tuor's ship, and the cat. She could see the main mast clearly and the small figure tied to it. Her heart was rent by the sight of her friend in such pain and fear.

She called Veritas to her side and had a hurried conference with the wizard. 'We will stay in this position and let the blue wizards' ship come to us. Tuor will run the main naval defense with his ship. Idril will stay near us but in the fore as it is her ship which carries the Ringbearers. Our part will be to assist Tuor in the defense of the ships should the blue wizards' ship attack. I need you to maintain the link on the monitor of the PC; that should alert us to any other friendly or enemy vessels coming into the fray. Also, you will now assume command of this vessel until I return.'

Veritas blinked at her. 'Return?!'

Pio nodded, but would say no more. She linked her arm in Veritas' and strolled with her to the stern. 'You must tell no one that I have gone.' She pulled Veritas behind some large boxes piled near the end of the ship, obscuring them from any on deck.

'Keep these safe for me', she said, giving Veritas her sword to belt on, along with a small leather pouch. 'Put these under your robes where no one might see them.' She bent down and quickly unlaced her leather boots, and took them off along with her leggings. From her belt she took a silver knife with a double edge. Down the center of the blade was a curious script which seemed to float like kelp and foam on a glassy sea. Mother-of-pearl winked and shifted in the intricate traceries of the grip, and on the pommel sat the small, worn head of a very old man with a long beard and sea grey eyes.

Bowing briefly toward the West, as if in supplication, she shrugged off the rest of her raiment and grasped the knife in her teeth. One quick step and she jumped from the ship, sinking quickly in the waves which reached up to pull her under.

Veritas looked for her, but could see nothing. 'May you find friendly currents, Pio.' she whispered. Gathering up the small pile of clothes she tucked them into her voluminous sleeve and hurried back to the cabin to store them and to retrieve the PC.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-18-2002, 10:49 PM   #357
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Idril sat on the deck and stared across at the ship on which the Lord Mithadan sailed. Again and again, she tried to penetrate his mind, to read his thoughts, and again she had no results. She could not broadcast over to him, nor could she read even the haziest of his images or ideas. It was as if he were a blank box.

With the wizards, however, it was a different matter. It is true that they had their minds boxed in and it was impossible to see or communcate freely. Yet at least Idril could sense the workings of evil underneath, even if she was powerless to influence them.

How very strange, she pondered. Mithadan has a unique power to shut out the entire world. What a strong fea he must have.

And then it hit here. If I can not read him, neither can those on the other ship. Not even the Blue Wizards. She pondered this a while, but feared to venture further with her thoughts.

Rose, on the other hand, though a mere hobbit, was broadcasting her thoughts and images with strength and precision. Idril had to smile. The hobbit may have had no training at all, but fear sometimes makes the best teacher, especially in matters of the heart.

Again, she reviewed in her mind the series of events which had led Rose to be bound and tied upon the mast. Not a pretty sight, and yet...... One or two images snapped in her mind that did not make sense. For Rose's small sword still dangled from her waist, hidden under layers of skirts and a heavy cloak.

The Lady turned and focused her thoughts on the tiny Rose. Using a strong outside barrier to fend off any probing minds, she relayed a brief answer to her: "Do not ask questions. Your blade must be hidden. I truly do not know, but help may be closer than you think."

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-18-2002, 11:23 PM   #358
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

All the dragons and Elven kin were gathered on the deck, listening to the instructions of Tuor as to what they should do in the upcoming battle.

Suddenly, Tuor turned to see his Elven Lady standing in the bow of the ship. He went over to her, bent down, and placed a kiss on her golden locks. She reached up to him and whispered words in his ear. He looked puzzled and shook his head, first no and then a tentative yes.

"Are you sure?"......."Not in the least," she replied. "But until I am proven wrong, we must err on the side of caution."

Tuor went back to the group, cleared his throat, and said: "Our plans are thus. In pitched battle, we may have no choice. But should choice come our way, aim first at the two Blue Wizards and the hideous warped creatures they command. This creature Mithadan....leave him till the end. He is special, and I alone claim the right to deal with the traitor."

Child raised her eyes and glared. "I am no soldier or lord, but I like not these orders. For this one has betrayed those who followed him with great trust. Of all on the ship, I like him the least and I would prefer to place my dagger in his back!"

Tuor looked straight into her eyes using the voice of command. "What you say may be true, but these are my orders. Attack the others first, and make sure to ask the winged worms to do the same. I hold you to this as a matter of honor."

Child mumbled and hung her head, but grudgingly consented.

Tuor again turned to Child: "Go join Frodo and Samwise over by the small emergency craft as we may need to use this to ferry you all to the other vessel. And, little Lady, either you have gained several pounds, or you carry something under your skirts!"

Child shrugged, "Nothing important, two daggers, a polished bronze mirror, a few flints, a small household torch, and a whistle which I use to call Angara. For you have promised that, of all the dragons, she will be used to keep an eye on Frodo, Sam, and myself."

Tuor turned away and laughed, "It is a good thing that hobbits tend towards the bulky side for you have enough merchandise to begin work as a peddler!"

Old 06-19-2002, 03:43 AM   #359
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Veritas pulled the clothes and other stuff from Pio in a chest in the cabin. She was a bit worried about her, what was she going to do?

She looked at the screen and saw that the hostile vessels were closing faster then she first had thought. She tried to calculate when the ships would arrive with this tempo. Hmm... About an hour or two, tree.

She locked the cabin behind here and walked to the front of the ship. At the horizon she saw the vessels.

"Captain, how long will it take to make this catamaran in battle situation?"

"It can be done in an hour."

"Would you order the crew to do it, as quick as possible please."

Veritas looked into the air, the sky was blue, but heavy clouds were moving towards them, it wouldn't take long before it began to rain. The sun was already falling. About four hours it would be dark.

She helped the people preparing the ship, at least she had to do something. She wondered how all the other people were doing, would they be scared, or were they facing the danger head on? She didn't know. When the catamaran was ready, the first drops were falling out of the sky.

She walked to the cabin, the door was onlocked... She walked to the laptop, but it didn't seemed to be touched, nor Pio's stuff...

"Strange, I thought I had locked the cabin." Veritas said. She waited for Pio's return.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Old 06-19-2002, 05:55 AM   #360
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child was helping to prepare the small emergency boat for its departure, should that need occur anytime in the next hour or two. She remembered that Sam did not know how to swim, and wondered whether or not Frodo had ever picked up the skill. Seeing how his parents had been lost, Child thought he might have made a point to acquire the art of swimming, or perhaps when he had spent time in Aman where the Sea and the shore seemed to be so much a part of daily life.

In truth, the one thing this voyage had taught here is that she did not want to wander on or live near the waters, at least for any extended time. She had even forgotten about her one-eighth share in this vessel. Or, at least it was not uppermost in her mind. She longed for the feeling of a good green field or even the gentle trees of the forest.

She smiled gently and then laughed. For here, on the edge of Doom, the Sea itself had seemingly cured her of her previous longing for the Undying West. Her Elven ancestor must indeed be higher and occupy a more distant vantage on the family tree than she had previously thought. For right now she would gladly take the cycle of the seasons with its snow and rain and summer heat and winter frost over the unvarying moderation of those distant lands.

Child truly hoped that Frodo wouldn't find things so tortured and difficult. She did not like to see him hurting so, and to her, at least, their choice seemed clear and obvious.

For if they did not fight, they would all be turned into monsters or slaves of the Blue Wizards. It was really not a question of Frodo or Samwise being different. Hope seemed so very little right now for any of them.

Either that, of if the wizards judged them useless, they might be thrust into the void. She sensed she might fall into the latter category since many big people and wizards, at least the evil ones, did not seem to care for hobbits. Not a pleasant musing, but even the void had its advantages when compared with being transformed into an orc.

Fighting and deception, at least, gave them some small hope of altering this unpleasant doom. So fighting and deception it would have to be.

And, speaking of deception, something tugged at her mind. She thought again of Tuor's words and the strange picture of Rose which Idril had shown her. For Rose had been drenched and bruised and but narrowly escaped a more severe beating. Narrowly escaped.....!? Hm, Child found that strange, quite marvelously strange. She smiled a bit in the midst of gloom and went on with her work.