The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Just Wondering

I was wondering how many people read the books after watching the movie.I read the books way before thay even thought about the movie,and was woundering if the movie promoted a larger Tolkien following.Which I'm sure it did.What are your thought on this. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Nilwen ]
Old 09-29-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Gliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gliniel
Silmaril

I think it definitely did. Most people I know who saw the movie didn't even realize LotR was a book (or three, rather) until I told them so. I myself read the books long before the movie too so I know where you're coming from...
Gliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:12 PM   #3
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

I knew all along that there were books (three of them!) but I never got around to reading them until I saw the movies. Go ahead, yell at me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 07:35 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I had heard of it before the movie because in High School we played a piece of music from The Hobbit(I'm guessing the cartoon version). But if it tells you anything... I thought a Hobbit was a dragon back then (for shame!).

I went home last November and my friend, who worked in a movie theatre, showed me the poster she had gotten from work & another friend had the CD. I was thinking, "hey, that looks like something I would like to see."
Well, over the holidays I went with my dad because we like fantasy movies & well, like everyone else who hasn't read the books... I wasn't satisfied with the ending. I was really worried about Merry and Pippin, so I went out and bought the books (so did my dad). We both read them and loved them & now I can't wait to see the next film (I now realize the anticipation people must've had for the first one).
I do think that the movie made many more fans, though I doubt that all of them have picked up the books yet. Maybe they will sometime soon.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:37 PM   #5
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

well to put it in other words...duh. i read them a year or two before they came up with the movie, but I think that because of the movie, A LOT of peeps read LotR
Old 09-29-2002, 08:50 PM   #6
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Certainly, as most movies do, I believe the FOTR movie sparked the inspiration that caused many, many people to read the beloved trilogy. In fact, a few friends of mine had never given LOTR a passing glance until they saw the movie! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As for me, LOTR was a big part of my family's tradition and a part of my life since I was born. My dad and his generation had all read it and I watched The Hobbit and heard stories about LOTR since I was a kid. So, as tradition had it, when I was about 9, my dad began reading LOTR to me at night. However, I shattered the sacred family tradition by bluntly telling him the book was boring. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I'm ashamed of that now, but I guess I just was too young to embrace LOTR back then.

Anyway, with that tradition broken, I think my dad doubted that I would ever read the trilogy. After the movie came out, I simply adored it. It inspired me to pick up the book again, and so far, I am in the beginning chapters of ROTK and enjoying it very much. =)
Old 09-30-2002, 01:27 PM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not only did it bring in many new fans, it brought out some worn books off the dusty shelves of some that read long ago and also readers that were big on Tolkien, but unaware of his place in popular culture (i.e. discussion groups, forums, mailing lists, et alia). Many fans who had read the books but did only that were inspired to seek out others who share in their fascination.

An easy-to-see testament to that is the number of members for this forum. <1,000 before the movie came out; almost 4,500 at the moment.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:11 PM   #8
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read the books about 6 years ago for the first time (well, I started with the Hobbit at the time and I was only 12 and English aint my primary language so it might have been somewhat later), but anyway a long time before the movie. And when I heard about it, I didn't like it. Not that I would mind new people knowing Tolkien and liking it (although some react quiet stupid, getting there information rather from the film than from the books), but because the film could never surpass or even be as good as the books. And I found out for myself that the film is quite bad indeed.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:11 PM   #9
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

That is what bothers me.Experts who have never read the books.I am no experts but I think I know a littel more than someone how has never READ LOTR.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: Nilwen ]
Old 09-30-2002, 05:27 PM   #10
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I admit it was the movie that inspired me to read the LOTR but yes I had heard of the LOTR before The Fellowship of the Ring was made into a movie...

I have now read all 3 of the LOTR books and I am trying to work my way through The Silmarillion... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 06:47 PM   #11
Marillanna Sarnie
Pile O'Bones

Marillanna Sarnie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, (glances around) I never actually read them until I heard that they were going to be made into a movie....then I had to read them before I saw it....... and, to date, I have read LOTR, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the first 3 HoME series. And any talk about LOTR has been strictly banned in my house.. .... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2002, 08:27 PM   #12
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I've heard of LotR since I was in the 6th grade, or maybe even younger. I would have began reading it then, but I typecasted fantasy as somehting only boys read. *turns head around* Before the movie, I was debating to myself whether or not I'll read FotR, but one my Lit professors said that it was okay. I took her word for it, and so there. So far, I'm halfway through TTT, and I've shopped for the Silm and UT, and all the other stuff.

Marillana:Hey welcome to the Downs! What? LotR stuff banned? in your own house? Man, you are one obssessed fan. I hop your family finds out that it all ain't bad.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:36 PM   #13
Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas
Wight

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think I'm the ONLY case here who owned the Lord Of The Rings game in SNES(Super Nintendo entertainment System) Before I heard of either. Then I saw the movie, inspired to do so because of the game, then read the books...Shame on Me, I know...But it was a fun game [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 12:20 AM   #14
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Jeeez! There's nothing wrong with being inspired to read the books after seeing the movie! I think its great! I hope the whole world sees the movie and decides to read the books. I think then, and only then, will there be world peace! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I read the books a long time ago, but thats because I'm old, very, very old. I have this strong suspicion that I'm part of Darkroses' father's generation. Hey, I thought the Harry Potter books were just for kids until the movie made me read the books.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:29 AM   #15
CASamchik

Tolkien

I read the book before the movie and they were both really cool but I like the books better than the movie because the movie skips to much. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 09:36 AM   #16
mithuel
Pile O'Bones

mithuel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I read the books ages ago but had forgotten a lot of the details by the time I came to watch the movie. Now I'm reading the books again ( along with two other fantasy novels) aswell as listening to The Hobbit (unabridged version) in the car aswell as loggin in to the barrowdowns site... and all that can only be a good thing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
mithuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 09:58 AM   #17
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

I think a while back is was Legalos that said something about the film prompting people to pick the books back up after having read them a long time ago. *points to self* Guilty as charged. LotR was always somewhere around my house, and I read it as soon as I was able to comprehend it. But I didn't really give it too much attention until I heard it was going to be made into a motion picture, and I remembered having read it (and the Hobbit) as a child. Before I saw the film I just HAD to read it again, and I'm glad I did. Now that I'm older, I can realize how awesome it all is! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 05:55 PM   #18
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I think it's great if the movie prompts book reading.My local book story had one copy of LotR before the movie.Now they have about 15.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:26 PM   #19
mithuel
Pile O'Bones

Shield

I've just reread the part where Frodo is rescued from Weathertop and taken to Rivendell by Glorfindel. In the movie he is rescued by Arwen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this change? I imagine the director did it to increase Arwen's presence in the film, and to show her courage and magical powers but was it necessary to alter the story like this?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #20
Gliniel
Pile O'Bones

The Eye

That was the only thing I particularly disliked about the movie. Arwen's character in the movie was almost the complete antithesis of her presence in the book.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:49 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

mithuel, you will find lots of discussions on the Arwen/Glorfindel question on the Movies forum. It is certainly one issue that has many book fans upset!!

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:31 PM   #22
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had had the books read to me, and had read them myself. It had been like, 5 years though, since I had read them, and I was kinda young so I didn't really remember a whole lot. If you look at my favorite things all through Elementary school, you will see favorite book: the Hobbit, LOTR. Seeing the movie though, that really turned me into a fanatic. I read LOTR 4 times since December! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I am crazy, I know. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 10:11 PM   #23
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hate to admit it too but I saw the movie on video when it came out recently(give me a break I have a 3 year old and no money for movies and babysitter)but since then I have read the 3 books and started over and am now waiting for husband to finsh the two towers so i can read it again. I also bought the movie and we including my 3 yr old watch it often. we will buy a dvd player by nov 12th for the added footage release. I'm hooked big time. I need help. This is also the first ime I got online like this just to talk w/other fans.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:57 AM   #24
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i read fotr before i saw the movie, i knew there was 3 books and after i saw the movie read the other 2.
the movie sure promoted the books!
and ya know what!people at my class at school today (i think were trying 2 act kewl)
were talking about frodo "oh i think he's sooooooo hot! ect ,ect"
then they said "oh have you seen the 2nd one?
i haven't i want to tho . . ."
i nearly choked!
but i remained calm, telling them sorry, but the two towers hasn't come out YET, and nobody (especially you) has seen it yet.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:00 AM   #25
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

I wish there was some thing we(as Tolkien fans)could do to promote THE BOOKS.I can't think of any thing.Can you?
Old 10-03-2002, 10:14 AM   #26
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well yes, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was toying with the idea of having a book discussion or author or whatever night at the public library. They do other books and brown bag book talks and stuff. You could publicize thru the paper and libary newsletter, that with the current interest in the new movies, there will be a "Getting to know Tolkien", or "Lord of the Rings.. the books" discussion group. Don't knock the movie, just take the people that come (any more that one is fine!) and start with what they know and want to know. If it's just kids, make it "fun" with a costume event or something!
Old 10-03-2002, 01:08 PM   #27
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I read LOTR when I was about twelve, but I forgot most of the plot afterwards. Seeing the film brought back my interest in the books, so I am now the obsessed fan you see before you. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'm always nagging my friends to read the books (ah, the joys of being a teenager whose friends actually succumb to peer pressure) and telling random people how wonderful I think the whole of Tolkien's creation is. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: Ruthwen ]
Old 10-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #28
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I started reading the books last summer. The movie was being made but I had no idea until I had already started. I made it my goal to finnish the trilogy before FotR came into theaters.
Old 10-03-2002, 02:07 PM   #29
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

when i was teeny, i think someone read the hobbit to me... so id heard of it before, but had no idea how much there was, or what it was about.

i read the books before going to see the movie.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:11 PM   #30
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Ruthwen,that is a great idea.I have access to the library at the local university so maybe i can do something there.I'm not nocking the movie,but I think it is important for people to read books,of any kind.Thank you for the idea. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 05:55 PM   #31
mithuel
Pile O'Bones

Shield

The movies are the greatest publicity the books could ever get. They have been interpreted so brilliantly and with such vision that they make the most
effective ad campaign for the books imaginable. Anyone likely to read the books will be inspired to do so by the films. And as for those that don't - well at least they have experienced some of the wonder of Middle Earth through Peter Jackson's interpretation of Tolkien. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2002, 02:47 PM   #32
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lots of people, not including me, read the books after the movie. It was a much bigger production and it caused a HUGE following because it got so much more publicity than the old cartoon "The Hobbit" or the cartoon for the LotR series. Many of my friends actually read it after the movie came out, and they would always complain to me about how many things were left out.

But I for one loved it before the movie.

Aylwen

Quote:
So I'm a little left of center. I'm a little out of tune. Some say I'm paranormal, so I just bend their spoon. Who wants to be ordinary? In a crazy mixed-up world.
[ October 04, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 10-04-2002, 03:48 PM   #33
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I read the books about a month before the movie came out - I had seen the trailer and thought "Hey! That guy is really cute!" (Orlando Bloom, of course). After reading the book, however, I became so swept up in the whole Tolkien experience that when I went to see the movie, I hardly even noticed the nice looking men.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:20 PM   #34
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Thank you everybody for your thoughts on this.I didnt think this thread would be such a hit. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2002, 09:33 PM   #35
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

I had heard of the books long before the movies, and I saw the animated movie of "The Hobbit" when I was about seven years old. I finally got the three books for my birthday a few months ago, and a few weeks afterwards FotR came out and I bought it right away. I didn't get hooked onto the book until about the middle of "Fellowship..." and now I can't put it down! I'm about halfway through the whole thing, already [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 07:37 AM   #36
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

OK another question.Has any one read any books outher than The Hobbit and LoTR.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:36 PM   #37
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I was told about it before the movies came out and kept on telling myself to get round to it, but i couldn't find the book in any shops (mind you I didn't really go out of my way to look for them), but after the movie came out I finallt bought and read the book, before seeing the movie if you must know.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:38 PM   #38
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I've read the Silmarillion. It's good, but very involved. Make sure you are really familiar with LOTR before you try the Sil.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #39
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, Nilwen where did you get your quote?
I love it. I'm rereading the trilogy and I'm getting to read the Sil.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:22 AM   #40
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Well..I read LOTR about 7 years before the movie came out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] 5 times to be exact.
And read The Hobbit last year(read it twice, The Silmarillion early this year (my favorite book of all time, read it twice, will soon start reading it again), read BoLT 1 & 2, Farmer Giles from Ham, The Father Christmas Letters (wonderful [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img], don´t think that counts, but still [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) soon starting on Morgoth´s Ring, and am currently chasing all the other books.....
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote