The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril A sorrowful realisation...

I had a potentially depressing thought enter my head a few days ago as I sat reading the last chapter of RotK, for what may well have been the thousandth time. <P><I>What in the world are we going to look forward to -to survive the <B>entire</B> year for- after "The Return of the King"?! </I><P>If there is anyone else as disturbed by this thought as I am -and even if you aren't- I would please appreciate your thoughts... <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think after it's all said and done...the movies, memorized ancient history...the "lore masters" having given all the "correct" answers...all questions having been asked, and thoroughly discussed...the one thing left will be the "best thing", reading the books again. They are long and full of info, emotion, and wonderful description. They always are enjoyable.<p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 07-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Reading the books and such will be good but still, I agree with Arwen Eruantale, what will there be to look forward to? After RotK is out and everything, it'll be nice but... I like being able to look forward to another 'episode (or part if you prefer)' of LotR coming out in theaters. Although I like to read the books, it can be even more fun to watch the movies sometimes. And I know that we'll always have those to read and watch but still... it's kinda depressing.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

True, there will be no more LOTR sequals coming out. But hey, I've heard there <I>may</I> be a Pirates of the CAribbean 2 coming out (although I can't imagine how they'll manage it... )! That's good to look forward to for about 2-3 years, if it's not just a rumour...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> True, there will be no more LOTR sequels coming out. But hey, I've heard there may be a Pirates of the Caribbean 2 coming out (although I can't imagine how they'll manage it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I pretty sure its true as I have read at least a dozen articles confirming that. Hurry!! <P>Sorry for the off-topic<P>Forever~Earwen<BR>
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #6
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

All right! Another Johnny Depp pirate movie! At least I hope he'll be in it! *Dances madly around the room to Piratey Music* <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sorry for the off-topic<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I to beg your pardon, but you gotta give a guy like me a little bit of room in this type of situation! <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-26-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think that the reasonable thing to do will be to revert back to life before two years ago. For many of us that will mean, as Lindelorien said, rereading the books on a yearly basis. Or, perhaps one could take up another author or hobby, like Plato or Stalking people . Then you can always look forward to the knowledge you are going to gain through your pursuits. But no matter what, remember that life is an unencrouchable mass of possibility. There is always more than what appears, what remains is for you is to pursue it.<P>Iarwain<p>[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 07-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #8
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

Have hope - there is always hope.<P>Who knows? Maybe one day someone will try to make The Hobbit or even the Simarillion into a movie.<P>And we do have something to look forward to - Summer 2005. Star Wars Eposiode 3 - When good Jedi go BAD.<P>...Anyway.....<P>Back to LOTR movies. I'm looking forward to any collector's sets, or possibly collecting foreign versions of the films. I love me some Engrish subtitles
Old 07-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why, the release of RotK on VHS and DVD, my dear! <P>But yes, other than that, we'll just revert back to "normal" LotR life, and just be happy that the movies were made and that we can watch them. Then when we're eighty years old, and we see Orlando Bloom's death on TV, we can say, "I remember when he was in Lord of the Rings!"
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #10
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And we do have something to look forward to - Summer 2005. Star Wars Episode 3 - When good Jedi go BAD.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am looking forward to it also. And I also have the next two Harry Potter books and the next 5 Harry Potter movies to look forward to. Besides I will never be bored of Lord of the Rings even if the saga is over. I can read the books and watch the movies over and over and I will hold on to them forever I swear. Maybe about 15-20 years from now I can expose any kids that I have to LOTR.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:24 AM   #11
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Why, the release of RotK on VHS and DVD, my dear!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is true. Thanks for reminding me. I will eagerly await the Extended Edition... So we technically have about another year after RotK is released in the theatre. And then we must remember that there was indeed, a life before LotR. *sigh* <BR>Whoa, I'm a geek. No that isn't the first time I realise that... If I ever grow up I'll be telling people that my teenage obsession was Lord of the Rings. *laughs* <BR>Is that not, quite conceivably, as bad as all the Trekkies (sorry, spelling.) out there?.. I don't mind. I have Trekkie friends. (what is that saying? j/k) <BR>I always tell everyone that it's better to be a geek than a "cool" person. If you are a geek, you can be yourself and not worry about it. But if you are "cool", you have to worry about keeping up that image. <P>Sorry for the off subject. (In my own topic!) Everyone does it... <P>By the way, thanks to everyone who responded! It's the first time I've created my own topic and I wasn't sure what kind of response I'd get.

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:14 PM   #12
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had that thought once.<P>"There'll never be another movie made or story written that I enjoy this much" *sad sigh*<P>But then PoC came along and I was not dissapointed <P>And I have the EE versions to look foward to. I decided to just buy the theatrical ones for now and then buy a big box set (I'm sure there'll be one) of all three EE. And I'm hoping in 20 or so years down the road, they'll be re-released in honor of their anniversary, and I can take my own kids. Also possible IMAX releases, that'd be a darn good way to spend the day, don't you think?

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #13
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It certainly is weird to think about life without searching for spoiler pictures and speculating about the Return of the King. True, we will have the DVD's (theatricle and extended) but it won't be quite as fun without the promised trailer addition. I'm sure it will be a sad loss but maybe I'll find something else to occupy my time with. <BR>Or I'll live in hope of a Hobbit movie. I'm not so sure about a Silmarillion movie though, I remember someone saying that it would be all 'cloud shots and Enya music'. <BR>But I mustn't forget the books (duh, as if I would). One day I'll just sit down and start from the very beginning (something which i very rarely do. I usually skip ahead to my favorite parts). And of course, I plan to read the Silmarillion properly, and understand it!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:15 PM   #14
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I thought I was the only one who hated the fact that LotR would be done after they show RotK. But I'm hoping for a movie version of The Silmarillion!!! <P>But I would think that would be quite difficult since they have to look for an actress with beauty beyond comprehension to act as my mother, Luthien.<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lhunardawen ]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:51 AM   #15
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

Life before the movies? What is this you speak of? I can't even remember what I did before the movies. It's summer, my brain has shut down. But I would hope that I'll find something to spend all day talking about. *sigh* Life used to be so simple....<P>Nehani of the Forest

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #16
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Life before the movies? What is this you speak of? I can't even remember what I did before the movies<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know I wasn't on the BD. I didn't even know about the books untill I saw the first movie.<P>What I just relize and I think its really sad is that many of the BD members might leave after the last movie is done, because they were only fans of the movie. I would miss them.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:51 PM   #17
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Take heart...remember that the books were out for appx. 50 years before they made movies, and people were obsessed then. So you will find something to look forward to... maybe another volume of HoME. Or, for all you Elvish lovers, more vocab/grammar. (Come on Chris, we need more info!) I personally wouldn't mind a Hobbit movie, but the Silmarillion would have to be a series, w/tons of stuff from HoME thrown in. Can you imagine cramming a book spanning thousands of years and containing very little dialogue into a 3-hr movie?
Old 07-29-2003, 08:39 AM   #18
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*Sighs*<BR>The end of 'The Return Of The King' is definately going to be bittersweet for me. It's the end of a great trilogy. <I>No,</I> the best trilogy ever written. I watched 'The Felloship Of The Ring' 17 times, so I've memorized the whole script. I'll probably do the same with this one coming out... <P>[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]<P>[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]<p>[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Sword Maiden Of The Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:10 AM   #19
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Or, perhaps one could take up another author or hobby, like Plato or Stalking people <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Another Author? ANOTHER AUTHOR!!!! Have my eyes deceived me, or have I seen this post on the BD? Wow. The world is coming to an end. <P>I suppose that I will have to spend my time looking for every single picture frame on the net, and then glueing them all the way around the walls of my room. the ceiling too. That way, whichever way I look for the rest of my life (until they fade ) I will never be without the memories from the movies. I'll probably hand copy the books in my spare time, it's worth while.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 AM   #20
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That way, whichever way I look for the rest of my life (until they fade) I will never be without the memories from the movies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When they fade, you can print out new copies!<P>After RotK I will probably survive by memorizing every LotR poem, including the entire lay of Leithian. Also by watching PotC many times. And writing my own fantasy book. Yeah, I think I'll live.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:35 PM   #21
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> After RotK I will probably survive by memorizing every LotR poem, including the entire lay of Leithian.... And writing my own fantasy book. Yeah, I think I'll live.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's probably what I'll end up doing as well. Writing and re-reading every year. And watching the movies often. But the first half-year or so will be really sad... I think the worst part will be after ROTK EE comes out and I buy it, because then there will be nothing left to look forward to. I think I'll live, though, with the Barrow-Downs to support me.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #22
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As soon as ROTK is over the end of the world will come. There is nothing worth living for after that...
Old 07-29-2003, 08:20 PM   #23
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

I was just thinking... What will happen to the Movies forum after RotK? Where will we all be? I am afraid to say that I am terribly afraid for my preciousss forum. Woe is me!
Old 07-29-2003, 08:25 PM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Oh I'm sure we'll still be discussing it the movies for years to come, there's always something new to talk about (seemingly)...
Old 07-30-2003, 07:30 AM   #25
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Oh yes, once again, Only Real Estel, I must heartily concur! <BR>Most of the topics in this forum are not speculations on RotK, but rather discussions as to details in the two that are already out. Anyone with doubts should be assured, this branch of the forum will last, at the very least, another decade.

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:35 AM   #26
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

Awright, I feel better. What else would I do with my precious time than spend it on the Downs? Well, probably eat and sleep, and read LotR, but what else is there?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:44 PM   #27
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Not much, sadly enough. I don't remember life before obsession.... <P>I'm getting ready to re-decorate my room. I shall paint a deep, cobalt, matte finished blue, and put up a bunch of LotR posters. I want to get the RotK series if possible. That would be cool. So this project will probably keep me happily busy, for awhile. <BR>Then I'll go back to reading, and reading, and writing, and reading, and...

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #28
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Oh my. This is indeed a deeply sorrowful realization.<P>Almost as sorrowful as the realization that I had grown out of my Barbie sneakers some ten years ago.<P>I suppose after RotK everyone of us should look forward to...the rest of their lives, shocking and unnatural as it may seem.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:14 PM   #29
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well where I live, I will get to look forward to ROTK coming to the drive-in and its dvd release esp. the EE. TTT came to the drive in the night after I left for a trip my bf and I were really looking forward to seeing it. Ahhh well. As for finding other authors, there are none who will ever surpass Tolkien in my mind but one author who has become my second favorite is Douglas Adams. Adams writes amazingly smart and witty dialogue and his books are strange and crazy enough even for odd little hobbit girls like me. As for things to do when there is no more movie, I will keep reading Tolkien's books the new and the old favorites, and continue to do artwork. In the meantime, don't we still have a movie to look forward to?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:55 PM   #30
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Hobbit Punk! "Oh happy to be dead!" That's an interesting alias if I do say so myself... <P>Oh yes, it is impossible to forget that we technically have THREE movies left. TTT:EE, RotK:theatrical, and most honourably, RotK:EE. Any true LotR enthusiast <I>couldn't</I> forget.

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:37 PM   #31
Cleansed Curunir
Newly Deceased

Cleansed Curunir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, there's the ROTK extended dvd, which probably won't be released until November 2004, and they'll probably released the regular dvd in August 2004.<P>Just think, after you get that one, you can watch them all at once.<P>Other things that will be happening in 2004 are the Olympics and the presidential elections.
Cleansed Curunir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:33 PM   #32
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Welcome to the Downs, <B>Cleansed Curunir</B>! Enjoy being dead!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Just think, after you get that one, you can watch them all at once.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, definitely. I'll have my few fellow-obssessed friends over and we'll all watch them. It will be awesome to see the three in succession!

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #33
Shadowfax The Great

Sting

Well i figure we get to try to memorize every word of the movies after they're all made
Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 AM   #34
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Shadowfax The Great! I like that alias. Shadowfax is awesome.. <P>We'll have them all memorised, and then there'll be competitions to see who can do all the voices correctly. And debates on who does the lovely elvish tongues the most justice.

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:02 PM   #35
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'll have my few fellow-obssessed friends over and we'll all watch them. It will be awesome to see the three in succession!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But of course! I've already started planning a slumber party for that. Following the PJ films we shall watch the Bakshi versions, laugh, and generally make fun of every possible thing we can in them. Mwahahahaha...
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:12 AM   #36
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Pipe

I'm thinking of that as well!<P>An extended dvd marathon!<P>Or maybe we'll do that when the family goes cross country driving to visit the grandparents in the summer (via that laptop my mom n dad promised)
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:09 AM   #37
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, there is not only the LotR itself, in all it's purity, buttheSilmarilliontheRoad GoesEverOnTheAdventuresofTomBombadilUnfinishedTale sTheBookofLostTalesI&IITheLaysofBeleriandTheShapin gofMiddle-EarthTheAnnotatedHobbitTheLostRoad[withImram!]TheHistoryoftheLordofthe RingsMorgoth'sRingTheWaroftheJewelsThePeoplesofMid dle-EarthTheLEttersofJRRTTheRoadtoMiddle-EarthTolkien:aBiographyOsanwe-KEntaand40someoddissuesoftheVInyarTengwarjournal.. .and if youmake it through all of that you may want to learn Quenya and or Sindarin...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:39 PM   #38
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>An extended dvd marathon!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Great, <B>Neferchiorwen</B>! We'll have to dedicate an entire day -<I>or maybe a night!</I>- and go through them all. I can't wait!

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-16-2003, 02:51 PM   #39
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>We'll have to dedicate an entire day -or maybe a night!- and go through them all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would suggest doing it on September 22nd in celebration of Frodo/Bilbo's birthdays, but I doubt the SE of RotK will be out by that time next year. <P>We could, however, do it on one of these dates:<P><I>(If it's out by October...)</I><BR><B>October 6th:</B> Rememberance of Frodo's stabbing at Weathertop<BR><B>October 20th, 2004:</B> 49th Anniversary of the publication of RotK<BR><B>October 25th:</B> Day of the Council of Elrond<BR><B>December 25th:</B> Day the Company set out from Rivendell.<p>[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:35 PM   #40
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Tolkien

This is a very unhappy thought that has been troubling me since the time TTT came out in theatres. What is life without another LotR movie to look forward to? But then I came across this thread and found that all of you have the same problems! So we're all in it together, I suppose. I guess I will spend my time reading HoME (which I haven't read yet) so I have that to look forward to, and of course I can come visit the Barrow-Downs! And there is always something to look forward to, I guess . . . is it really true that there is going to be a PotC 2? I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing . . . most sequels aren't as good as the first, unless they were based on a book. But I'm getting off topic, so namarië for now!