The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up Headline News: We Have Hobbit Ancestors....

Sitting at home with the flu, I ran across this story, which gave me both a chuckle and a pause. It is from the folk at National Geographic.

Professor Tolkien got it right! According to the most recent scientific discovery, there are Hobbits in the homo sapiens family tree. These folk were given the nickname of "Hobbit" by the scientists who made the discovery: they describe the find as "one of the most spectacular discoveries in paleoanthropology in half a century. The Hobbits are cousins of ours, officially called Homo floresiensis . The scientists tell us that our three-foot cousins had heads about the size of a grapefruit and brains one-third the size of ours. They were native to Asia.

The scientists had a number of positive things to say about the Hobbit:

Quote:
"The hobbit was nobody's fool," Roberts said. "They survived alongside us [Homo sapiens] for at least 30,000 years, and we're not known for being very amiable eco-companions. And the hobbits were managing some extraordinary things—manufacturing sophisticated stone tools, hunting pygmy elephants, and crossing at least two water barriers to reach Flores from mainland Asia—with a brain only one-third the size of ours.

"Given that Homo floresiensis is the smallest human species ever discovered, they out-punch every known human intellectually, pound for pound."

So much for all you Elf fans who fail to give the Hobbits their due!

The species inhabited Flores as recently as 13,000 years ago, which means it would have lived at the same time as modern humans! So perhaps, in an age long ago, there was an ancient Aragorn who went on a quest with four Hobbit companions. We can always dream...
Old 10-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Boots COol...

Hmm. i read national geo all the time. But, my lazy fat billyboy mail carrier always delivers them late... you know what i mean? Then sometimes, when it does come on time, it's not mine. so, then i have to give the mongurle someone's mail back, then wait a bloody week for my real mail. Ah. Cool that you found that.

For more hobbit brain tasties (Because i can guess, that like me, finding the mystery of hobbit relations is the meaning of life) Go to www.glyphweb.com/arda

Click on hobbits. Read ALL of it and you will come across the "Isle of Man" article. Well, it's more like a paragraph. But, it's intrigueing.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 01:47 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
After finding out that a thread about this discovery has already been posted on the Mirth forum (Existence of Hobbits Discovered) Child asked me to delete or merge this thread. I have decided to leave it as is; since the Mirth thread is exploring the comical possibilities of the topic (do read Kransha's post there - it's hilarious!), this thread can stay open for serious responses and additional information.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:01 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I saw this and was interested, yes. Apparently the legends of the locals were not as outlandish as was once presumed. But are there any of the 'Hobbits' still hiding in the deep places? Is this going to spark a wide-scale exploration?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
I would hope not. The interesting point is that not only did modern humans evolve alongside other human species rather than from them, but that it is unclear that there are not sub-species extant in the population still. Neanderthals were wiped out by our evolutionary success, but there is a possibility I read mooted that relatives of homo erectus might still be hanging around.

If anyone's ever been to Croydon, they'll probably know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:51 AM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In a Radio 4 programme on Tolkien - 'Fired by the Ring' - a couple of years back Brian Sibley interviewed Philip Pullman, who reacted to Sibley's suggestion that one reason for the popularity of LotR was that it wasn't set on another planet, but in the ancient past of this planet by laughing his usual mocking laugh, & replying 'I'll believe that when someone digs up a fossilised hobbit!'

Well, who's laughing now, Mr Pullman?

(I think that proves not only what a rubbish writer Pullman is, but also what a sad excuse for a human being he is too.

Not that I have any animus towards the Tolkien-hating, archaeologically-ignorant jerk.)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote