The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Could someone translate this poem for me?

And that I said my limbs were old;
And that I said my blood was cold,
And that my kindly fire was fled,
And that my withered heart was dead,
And that I might not sing of love? -
How could I to the dearest theme
That ever warmed a minstrel's dream,
So foul, so false, a recreant prove!
How could I name my love's very name,
Nor wake my harp to notes of flame!

Yes, I know I have posted this somewhere else, but I really need the translation in Quenya. Thank you!

ETA, 2014: My goodness, I can't believe I actually made this sort of request. Either way, I apologise.

Last edited by Galadriel; 10-14-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Just a note to explain - it may take awhile for someone to react to your request, Galadriel. We don't have many members who know Quenya at all, and no experts in translation of whom I am aware. You may want to contact someone at Ardalambion, the Tolkien language site.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Also, especially for such a long request (relative to a name or a short phrase) even someone very familiar with Quenya will arguably be giving his or her opinion of a translation in Neo-Quenya. Below is a citation from...

http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html

Quote:
(...) This is not to say that it is impossible or meaningless to compose sentences that so far as anyone now can tell conform to the exemplars and statements that Tolkien did make to a very high degree (for example, by relying only upon attested elements and derivational mechanisms, attested grammatical devices, and attested syntactic patterns that can reasonably be thought to belong to the same conceptual phase), but that is a far cry from being able to speak these languages, and cannot even justify a claim of "authenticity", since for any but the most trivial compositions it will remain exceedingly unlikely that Tolkien himself would have produced or countenanced the result himself.'
Ardalambion is mentioned in the full FAQ, which I highly recommend reading ( though maybe you're already aware of these distinctions, I don't know).

Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
ar' nai ni eque hroanya wanwie enwina;
ar' nai ni eque coinenya wanwie helca,
ar' nai naurnya seasu wanwie oante,
ar' nai hon-maren hessa wanwie qualin,
ar' nai ni notuile ulinde melme
sut notuile ni an i yelme lin? -
nai oi istata urna lindar olos,
saura, raika, furin wanwie yernandor
sut notuile ni esta melnya anwa esse,
ilar koiva nandenya a' lin en' naare

You will definately need to check this, I am by no means an expert.....
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote