The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #1001
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
But what are you saying, a bit? That's an euphemism, to be sure.
Hmmm... possibly. But if I called that kind of things crazy, I wonder what should my signs of addiction called, so it' better to call you behaviour just "a bit crazy" just to be on the safe side myself.

I just noticed one more serious sign of BD addiction. I just got my English research paper back and I realised I've been just as careless about making up new words as in ww. Fortunately my teacher seemed not to mind it too much, at least she had not mentioned it in the feedback she had written. Also, what I actually think is even more alarming: when I read my final words it really reminded me of my posts in the BD. I don't know which is the bad thing: that such comparison even occured to me at all or that the style in which I write English school things resembles my BD posting style that much.... but I think it's odd anyway.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #1002
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Hih! "The fate of the innocent(s) is in your hands." -my English book. Nah, no more WW today.
Guess how much I laughed at that when I had that English course. Also, in my English book was a quote Nogrod had used in his ww game (this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper), and I came across it the very next morning after he had used it. It was enough to amuse me for the rest of the day.

Quote:
I was not able to open and read a book as I am used to, I was thinking all the way - and thinking about Downs-related things.
I do that also (but not for an hour yet ). I still remember the time when I opened the book even if I had only three minutes or something before it was my bus stop, but nowadays I may just think "15 minutes till I'm home, I might as well not read this time," and even if I didn't intend it, I end up thinking about the Downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And not being able to sleep because of werewolf is something really bad...
Also, waking up before I'd like to because werewolf keeps interrupting my dreams is truly horrible. At some point in the morning, when I'm almost awake but still tired enough to sleep, I start having dreams in which I read the werewolf thread, don't remember anything what people have posted and have no idea what's happening. Not always, but during too many games. It'd be interesting to really remember those things after I've woken up.

And for those people who spoke about songs... Guess if it's nice to listen to the soundtrack for Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame when Clopin sings "so here is a riddle to guess if you can, who is the monster and who is the man." It even isn't anything that obviously ww-sounding.

Anyway, we were watching some video at school today, and there was a man who was on computer. The website he was reading had a black background, and the first thing I thought was "Oh, he's on the Downs."

And I just love those logarithms that are written "lg". They keep me happy in the boring Math classes.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #1003
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Once the site is working again (properly) I'll have to put up a little rhyme thing I jotted down. Basically, I was frustrated because the site wasn't working, so I e-mailed a friend complaining and decided to put it in rhyme for kicks and giggles.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #1004
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
When you actually start wondering on something random if there should be a BD addiction related to it and you just forgot what it was.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #1005
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
When you and Laurinque dance around and shout for joy when the Barrow-Downs is working for you again, because you're so excited!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 AM   #1006
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
MaultheStoor is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
When you grab you computer every time you hear a Black Rider. Then you say you can feel someone stabbing you (*cough* Witch King *cough*).

See? You made him mad.
MaultheStoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #1007
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
When you and Laurinque dance around and shout for joy when the Barrow-Downs is working for you again, because you're so excited!
Right on! It actually kept me up last night, for around three minutes, wondering if the Downs would be there in the morning. *shudders*
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #1008
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
I was reading a National Geographic article about some Indonesian village near a particularly vicious volcano. There was this quote about a farmer called Udi at the time of an eruption: "Even the resident monkeys descended in droves, but not Udi and his fellow villagers."

I think I don't need to elaborate.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #1009
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Location: The cave under the Misty Mountains. Just take a wrong turn in the goblin's tunnels.
I don't know about you, but I can pretty much quote word-for-word everything Frodo said on the trip to Mount Doom. I can also do a mean Gollum impression, but *cough, cough* I save that for parties...

See? You made him mad.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #1010
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
You spend your morning lecture telling your friends how wonderful it is that you can get to the 'Downs straight from the e-mail and don't have to check two different sites each time, and you don't even mind when they stare at you with pitying expressions.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #1011
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Right on! It actually kept me up last night, for around three minutes, wondering if the Downs would be there in the morning. *shudders*
Well, not only were we doing that, but dancing around my living room pretending that we were a village of Gollums, and we took "The One Ring" out of my movie memorabilia box inside room (which also contains the Heart of the Ocean from the Titanic) and danced around it in circles and chanted the verses that apply... then her mom came and picked her up... no more Golluming for us... until next time anyway! MWOOOOOHAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 AM   #1012
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I was reading a National Geographic article about some Indonesian village near a particularly vicious volcano. There was this quote about a farmer called Udi at the time of an eruption: "Even the resident monkeys descended in droves, but not Udi and his fellow villagers."

I think I don't need to elaborate.
You should have elaborated. For surely it's even more funny if you take into account that "Udi" clearly resembles a name we call Nogrod with in RL...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #1013
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

I scared the crap out of everyone at work. I guess sneaking up behind a co-worker and callin her a "stupid, fat Hobbit!" wasn't such a good idea...

See? You made him mad.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #1014
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
You should have elaborated. For surely it's even more funny if you take into account that "Udi" clearly resembles a name we call Nogrod with in RL...
Ooooh so it does! I never realised...
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #1015
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Today I was startled by a cornflake package saying "Kelloggs Multi Groin".

Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #1016
MaultheStoor
Animated Skeleton

Quote:

Multi-groin?! Duh-bull-you-tea-eff.
That just sounds wrong.

See? You made him mad.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #1017
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well a talking cereal package would be enough to startle anyone!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #1018
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Well a talking cereal package would be enough to startle anyone!
Yes. It had a very scary deep growling voice...

Old 03-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #1019
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

My goodness, I couldn't help but smile when I read that!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #1020
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I ran across something with the word "lynched" in it on the Internet, and immediately went here to check on the latest Werewolf game.

Actually, you know you're addicted when the word "lynch" reminds you more of Werewolf than it does of hate crimes.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #1021
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:

That would startle me too, for entirely different reasons...

ew.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #1022
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
It was around three hours after seeing that post when I happened to meet a friend of mine on the corridor and she said "Look what I have for snack!" and showed me a small package of Kelloggs Multi Groin She must have wondered why a started laughing at it...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #1023
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

When you are watching a film classic like "The Thing" and all you can think of is "Hey, this is just like in WW!"
Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #1024
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Greenie... pssst... another sign: you double post on this thread.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #1025
Volo

When one makes a smiley for the site and tries to, desperately, advertise it. *winkwink*
Old 03-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #1026
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
This evening in the cafeteria, I found myself compulsively analyzing everybody who walked by my table. It's a scary place now, because there's people everywhere and YOU DON'T KNOW WHO MIGHT BE A WEREWOLF.

Maybe I need therapy.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #1027
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

When you meet a fellow 'Downer and at least half your conversation revolves around the 'Downs, it's inhabitants and werewolf games.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:12 AM   #1028
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
When you meet a fellow 'Downer and at least half your conversation revolves around the 'Downs, it's inhabitants and werewolf games.
When you meet a fellow 'Downer who is also one of your best RL friends and at least half of your conversation revolves around the 'Downs, it's inhabitants and werewolf games.

As if we had nothing else in common or nothing else to talk about... And this happens regularly...

(But I might have exaggerated when I said "at least half"... but a lot of it, anyway....)
Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 AM   #1029
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
When you find out that you can think of some reasons which would imply that you are NOT addicted to Barrow-Downs, then you think whether you should not start a thread "Top Ten Signs You Are Not Addicted to the Barrow-Downs" and then, a feeling of deep sadness falls upon you since you start thinking that it is possible you might not be addicted to the Barrow-Downs anymore...

"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #1030
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
When you find out that you can think of some reasons which would imply that you are NOT addicted to Barrow-Downs, then you think whether you should not start a thread "Top Ten Signs You Are Not Addicted to the Barrow-Downs" and then, a feeling of deep sadness falls upon you since you start thinking that it is possible you might not be addicted to the Barrow-Downs anymore...
Legate, that's incredibly silly...

I think one rather obvious sign is that you're sad that you don't have BD dreams more often. That might be a bit outdated complaint, though, since I just had one the night before last night. And besides, to defend myself a bit , my 'downs dreams tend to be crazier than my normal dreams, so maybe I'm just missing crazy dreams, not BD dreams...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:20 AM   #1031
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Legate, that's incredibly silly...
Yes, tell me about it...

Quote:
I think one rather obvious sign is that you're sad that you don't have BD dreams more often. That might be a bit outdated complaint, though, since I just had one the night before last night. And besides, to defend myself a bit, my 'downs dreams tend to be crazier than my normal dreams, so maybe I'm just missing crazy dreams, not BD dreams...
But don't expect anyone to accept your defense I actually had BD dreams in all the last three or four nights, but they were all just very short and not very interesting (like, this night I had a dream that a Wolf player PMed me that they have chosen a Night kill, but that it is just preliminary and the real choice will be posted only later).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #1032
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
I think one rather obvious sign is that you're sad that you don't have BD dreams more often. That might be a bit outdated complaint, though, since I just had one the night before last night. And besides, to defend myself a bit , my 'downs dreams tend to be crazier than my normal dreams, so maybe I'm just missing crazy dreams, not BD dreams...
I used to have a lot of BD-dreams, I would not post them all because some was too blury or simply not interesting. . .but I would not go a month without a dream. Now I dream of everything else that BD, sometimes I wake up with the feeling that someone from the Downs was in my dream, but I never can remember.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #1033
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
When you meet a fellow 'Downer who is also one of your best RL friends and at least half of your conversation revolves around the 'Downs, it's inhabitants and werewolf games.

As if we had nothing else in common or nothing else to talk about... And this happens regularly...

(But I might have exaggerated when I said "at least half"... but a lot of it, anyway....)
Oh, seconded! How come we seem to be this similar to each other? We even have the same addictions.

Honestly, no, you didn't exaggerate.

And one should never complain if she has a friend who tells her also those of her dreams that she doesn't dare to post on the dream thread.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #1034
Volo

Quote:
When you meet a non 'Downer who is also one of your best RL friends and at least half of your conversation revolves around the 'Downs, it's inhabitants and werewolf games.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #1035
Volo

At last I double post here!

I got an album of an Australian goth rock band Floodland from the library to see what it's like. In their song Sister of Mercy, I'm quite convinced that they sing "Lommy blind" at one point. What amuses me even more is that the booklet has lyrics of all the other songs but not this one, nor could I find them on the net.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #1036
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

This is actually almost the same as half of the talk with a RL friend concerning the Downs, but anyway...
You can speak about nothing but the Downs for five hours although there surely would have been also other topics.

Also, your friend starting to have BD dreams might be a reason to be worried.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #1037
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When when you hear Kelloggs Multi Groin you laugh for 5 minutes. ANd thats just for the barrow Downs side of the cereal's name.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #1038
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When you still sometimes chuckle to yourself about Kelloggs Multi Groin, even after that many days
Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #1039
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

When you are doing a biology exam with a question about the speciation of lemmings and you chuckle at the scientific name of the lemming, lemmus lemmus, because you think it resembles Lommy...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #1040
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
When you are studying Dante's Inferno, and you summarize Ulysses' final voyage with:

"Ulysses sails around the world, ends up at Purgatory and is killed by a werewolf...I mean whirlpool."