The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Clues'n'Letters

The following game (exact match was not found in the recesses of the quiz room, if there is such, please let know the moderator to incorporate current one into the old one) is a mix up of 'cryptic clues' and 'letters' games. It works as follows:

Sample:

Quiz: (E) Union of bloodlines, named 'hero' in the Hobbit, father of sequel's hero's 'true love'
Answer: Elrond (union of blood - Maia, Human, Elf drops, father of Arwen (hero of the sequel - Aragorn, 'named the hero': [in the Hobbit - In those days of our tale there were still some people who had both elves and heroes of the North for ancestors, and Elrond the master of the house was their chief']

Next quiz should start with D, than (i.e. the last latter of the previous quiz answer)
The person to answer should be able to explain all clues of the question, besides giving the answer to the quiz itself

So:

D

There were several of the name, humans and elves alike. The answer I'm after was the second among humans, wise to an extent, proud beyond measure, labelled 'heathen' by an 'emissary'.

EDIT: the hard quote posted by Perky brought to my attention that the guidelines for giving hints and clues are not set. Therefore I edit this post to set the following additional rule:

If the quiz is not solved for ten days, the author should reveal its second letter. Par example, if Elrond was not got for ten days, I would have been obliged to tell you that the word I were after started with El

end of EDIT

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 09-24-2004 at 01:10 AM. Reason: everything changes.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Is the answer Denethor II ? There were three Denethors, the elf, human 1, and human 2. This is the second human named Denethor. He was wise, until he was overtaken by the palantir. He was so proud he underestimated his enemy, and I believe Gandalf called him a heathen?

I am so confused, but I'm having fun trying!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
correct

Your answer is correct

The next quiz should start with R. Take it over

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Wait, why R? Is it the last letter of the answer? Anyways...I think I get it now...

R

Brought from the outlaw, bound to the friend of he who pours, bringer of the messenger, and bringer of the bringer of a small one's safety.

Have at it!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Radagast?

Brought from the outlaw- Not too sure about that one.
Bound to the friend of he who pours- Bound to Yavanna, who is Manwe's friend (Manwe controls the rains of Arda)?
Bringer of the messenger- Brought Gwaihir to Gandalf in Orthanc?
Bringer of the bringer of a small one's safety- Brought Gandalf who brought Gwaihir who saved Frodo and Sam from Mount Doom?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #6
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White Tree

Sorry, but It's not Radagast. But if it helps, Radagast was my first choice for R, but I came up with a better one