Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #41
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Oh my, aren't I a celebrity! Well g'day everyone, I'll get a first post etc. up soon if you don't mind. Sounds like fun.

Hmmm. I wonder what I shall name this character... Sheesh, a Rohan male, I could just use my old one, or his distant grandfather anyways...

Oh, and I won't be here for Saturday until Tuesday (Melbourne Cup Weekend) so the character bio will be up by tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:46 AM   #42
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard
Hmmm. I wonder what I shall name this character... Sheesh, a Rohan male, I could just use my old one, or his distant grandfather anyways...
This might help you.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #43
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, I just realised there are a few things about the general plot that I don't know and I should. So, the basic things:

Where was Thin-Gloomy kidnapped?
He was on his way to the treasure, right?
Where is the treasure hidden?

And then, I've thought about this... If the treasure is big, Thin-Gloomy can't carry it all by himself. So has he hired workforce (with what money? a promise of money to come?) or a cart driver or bought a cart for himself? Has he hired any defenders for himself? (If I was going to the wilderness to get a treasure, I'd definitely want to have a couple of sellswords protecting me, but I'm not that sure about Thin-gloomy who is used to wandering alone...) Or is this all up to me?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #44
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
All of it is up too you Lommy. But I am glad you asked as we (as in me and you) can discuss a place where the treasure is hidden. And get Valier involved to see if she had any specific place in mind.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #45
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Linked to Player/Character List ~*~ Pio

Character Bio & First Post for the game

NAME: Dárin

RACE: Dwarf

WEAPONS: Well equipped, though he is very old. He wields a large axe, a smaller knife and a roundshield. He has light armour, because of the worries of older age, but has fought some battles and retains some of his strength.

APPEARANCE: A normal size for a dwarf, with a long grey beard. He’s quite old and cannot move well, bowed down more than even a normal dwarf. Because of this his movements are stiff and he can only really shamble, not run.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is stubborn, and slow to relieve old ties and prejudices. Dárin is very cynical and grumpy much of the time. He has never ridden a horse, does not easily try new things, and almost never seeks glory or adventure, save in need, though this journey is was a strange decision. He can be a strong ally in what he believes in, but his weakness is his stubbornness.

HISTORY: Dárin used to be a dwarf from the Iron Hills, related to Thin-gloomy. After hearing of the race which his relative won, and then hearing of the way which he was captured, Dárin decided that because he had no children and no reason to stay in the Iron Hills, he would track down his old acquaintance and help him escape. It was a strange decision, a compulsive move that he would nearly never had made under normal circumstances, and he may regret it later on in the journey, but Dárin has become poor, and he thinks he might somehow be able to profit from it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sixth Wizard's post

In a large open field somewhere in Rohan, a small figure was hurrying through the bright sun. Heavily dressed, he was nevertheless in a state of disrepair, and looked as though he had travelled a long way. This was in fact a dwarf known as Dárin of the Iron Hills. And Dárin the Dwarf was in the state of mind that had carried him through the past few weeks. Grumpy.

"Witch-Kings and Necromancers! Elves and Dragons! Spiders and Skin-changers! Goblins and Trolls! I can't take it any more, no I can't, I am too old, too old. Why oh why did I ever begin this journey? I don't like Thin-gloomy! I should've earned my bread at home, or become a builder, ...or something anyway! And curse this infernal grass!" A stream of mixed curses and profanities were dispatched from Dárin as he plucked a few spines from his clothes.

There were many miles behind him, and many a clue from travellers he had met over the disappearance of his second cousin Thin-Gloomy. The main reason Dárin had left the Iron Hills was because of his poverty, brought on because he was terrible when dealing with gold, and the thought he may profit from helping his relative. And somewhere there were some family ties hidden under his gruff exterior. He actually had quite a loyal heart.

Finally he began to draw near to civilisation. Civilisation, he laughed. People of the farms know nothing of stonework! One thing they're good at though, making ale. He hastened toward the nearest Inn, ignoring their stares, and a snuffling horse. A good drink awaited.

-----

Last edited by The Sixth Wizard; 03-08-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #46
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Okay. I'll think about the kidnapping and Thin-Gloomy's possible hired work force.

I will write the post once I have the location, but I can't probably get online during the weekend since I have no net access home right now.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #47
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Linked to Player/Character List ~*~ Pio

NAME: Éomeléo

RACE: Man (Gondorian).

WEAPONS: Sword and crossbow.

APPEARANCE: Tall and proud; wavy, brown hair and clean-shaven (to start with anyway). Wears royal blue clothes including a cloak and feathered-hat. Has a golden ocarina on a chain around his neck.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Self-important, but good-natured. Sometimes brave, but fairly easily frightened. Good physical strength and decent wits about him; but unable to see the wider picture and also lazy.

HISTORY: Éomeléo abandoned his sheltered life in the Gondorian nobility to participate in the race for the Great Golden Hoard. He had enjoyed a special relationship with another competitor, named Valesseka, but they had parted with several loose ends left very much untied. He led an unstable life since then, unwilling to return openly to Gondor. He relished the chance to get involved in another adventure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eomer of the Rohirrim's post

Éomeléo sauntered up the path whistling cheerily, some would say obnoxiously, considering the circumstances. He could not possibly comprehend such a viewpoint, though. At the moment he was caught up with the question of why some clouds were pink. He hadn't the faintest idea, but it amused and puzzled him no end. The suffering of others was as locked in a cage. Very prepared was he not to look inside.

He had been staying in Rohan for a few months now. He thought it pleasant, far less stuffy than Gondor. He was only slightly worried that his whereabouts would be revealed. His contacts in Rohan were all well-off and settled. It was unlikely that any of them were going to betray him to his family (especially since his family were notoriously resentful of the Rohirrim). Yes, Rohan was good.

When he got the communiqué detailing the plight of Thin-Gloomy, he was more than happy to help. The lure of a great reward was obviously pressing, but Éomeléo did honestly feel a degree of empathy with the Dwarf. He realised that he would have suffered the same misfortune had he been skillful enough to claim the treasure. Also, he had nothing better to do with his time. His best friend Holaert had gone off for a few weeks on business and so the opportunity for great fun in Rohan was diminished.

There was also the Valesseka issue but Éomeléo couldn't quite clarify that yet.

-----

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:05 AM   #48
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Crystal Heart has just left Hobbiton.
Hi Eomer! I'm Crystal Heart - co owner of this game.

When will you fill in the post?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #49
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

As soon as I can.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Once Eomer's and The 6th's posts are done - do you need to fill the other open character spots, or will the players you have be enough?

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-07-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #51
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Hmmm, we now have seven players. If we got one person to fill in the Cabin owner's spot then we are set.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #52
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Do you know anyone else we could ask to fill in that spot?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #53
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I can't think of anyone...does anyone else have any idea's?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 AM   #54
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Glirdan, I'd like to repeat, check the Golden Perch. What about Lilly or Rose, for example?

A question: who sent the messages to Thin-Gloomy's "friends" and co-contestants?

And in case someone's interested:
The Great Golden Hoard game thread
The Great Golden Hoard discussion/planning thread

My first post will be up tomorrow, sfter I've got a few replies from Valier (the Great Golden Hoard game moderator).

Last edited by Thinlómien; 11-07-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #55
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Glirdan - you know these perspective gamers better than I do. Would you be willing to send out the invite from both of us?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #56
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I have sent one out to Lilly but she has not responded as of yet. And yes, I will send the invites out for the both of us Crystal.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 AM   #57
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

It would be good if we could get another Dwarf along to help my character relate...
Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 AM   #58
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

First post coming...

Placed with character bio post ~*~ Pio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinlómien's post

When Thin-Gloomy had won the race for the hoard, all the things he had could thought of had been the victory and what to do with the prize. The reality had hit him the next day. How was he to carry the enormous treasure home? And what was 'home' for him? Did he really wish to return to the Iron Hills? Where else could he go?

He had had no idea what to do, so he had started from the smallest of matters. He had begged an audience from King Malvegil of Arthedain. He had told the King he was about to establish a trade caravan carrying coal, and needed a few wagons and able drivers. King Malvegil had agreed after a little while. He had probably wanted to seem generous and, after all, he had owed Thin-Gloomy quite a lot of his knowledge of the Angmarian army.

Thin-Gloomy had made a fatal mistake. Instead of asking the king for guards to protect him he had decided to hire some sellswords from Annúminas after he had got the treasure. He had not expected that the knowledge of the prize and his victory had already been heard by ears whose owners bore little good intention.

The day had been a beautiful one, more beautiful that it had been for weeks. The sun had shone and there had been no clouds. Even Thin-Gloomy couldn't have expected an attack on such a lovely day. I have doubtlessly become softer and lost all my wits, if I ever had any, Thin-Gloomy thought later. He was angry with himself and well, gloomy.

The attackers had hidden in the trees and shot the wagon drivers before their attack was even noticed. Thin-Gloomy had managed to hit one with a bolt from his crossbow, when a shrill female voice had called: "Drop your crossbow right now, or there'll be five arrows through your heart." Thin-Gloomy dropped the bow. It was from old memory. When the bulliers had attacked him, he had always given up to shorten his torment.

"Thomas and Jack, tie the dwarf and see that he's not harmed... yet. Cover his eyes and his mouth too so that he can't scream for help", the same shrill voice had ordered. "Mica, help Samson down and to one of the wagons. We'll take just one wagon. When you've done that, stay here and look after the remaining beasts and wagons. Thomas and Jack will come back to help you to fetch them."

All had been done as the shrill-voiced woman had bidden. She obviously had a firm grip over the four men. A nice little harem she has, Thin-Gloomy thought dryly.

The journey to their destination hadn't been long, but it had been uncomfortable. The only pleasure for Thin-Gloomy had been hearing the wounded man, Samson, wailing with every bump the wagon took before the woman ruined it and told the man to shut up.

In their destination, Thin-Gloomy had been carried at least a few stairs down and locked in a cell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glirdan, if there's anything that you wish me to change, please tell me. I chose to write both the jolly traveling and the kidnapping in one post so that they would fit the general timeline better. Is that ok with you?

I also noticed that the kidnapper gang will be mostly described and defined by me (since my character's spending most time with them). I hope no one minds it. I'll make them a disgusting bunch of idiots you don't mind killing or doing whatever you're going to do to them...

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-08-2006 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:24 AM   #59
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Lommy, that was perfect!! I couldn't have asked for better! As for the kidnappers themselves, I was hoping you'd make them out (other than Cilia) to be idiots and you're doing superb with it. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #60
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
I was hoping you'd make them out (other than Cilia) to be idiots and you're doing superb with it.
I'm wondering if that's a real praise or not...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #61
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

First post up. Almost forgot how much fun it is to write for that guy.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #62
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hey Glirdan do we have a full cast now?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #63
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
White-Hand

If I'm not to late, I would like to play. I don't really care which character spot I get, anything will do

I would however, like to keep Narleah if that's alright. She was such a "playful" lil dwarf and it was fun to write her every day.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #64
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I'm going to chime in here about female Dwarves.

Because this is a Shire RPG, players need to try to approximate what Tolkien has told us about the character types. Female Dwarves were extremely rare and never known to interact with other races.

Glirdan and I discussed that any Dwarves in this quest game would need to be male.

Naria - you can either be a male dwarf. Or if you wish a female role, how about the cabin owner the group meets up with and who joins them:

Quote:
We find a cabin which appears to abandoned but is really owned by (male or female) character. After that, all of us, including the cabin owner, continue on North towards Tharbad for the cabin owner had informed us that he/she saw a group of people heading in that direction.
-- from THIS post.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 AM   #65
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

What about Narleah's twin brother Narleoh?

Anyway, I'm glad to see you in this game, Naria.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #66
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

Good idea, Thinlómien.

(Love your new avvie )

~*~ Pio
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 AM   #67
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Incidentally my post is up, just an ego thing seeing the FIRST POST NEEDED sign after my name...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #68
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

LOL Sixth. That's awesome.

This should be an exciting game.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #69
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Thumbs up

Quote:
how about the cabin owner the group meets up with and who joins them:
That sounds ok with me Pio!

I'll get my character bio up as soon as I get my brain together today
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #70
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

And with that, we can start as soon as everyone gets their posts up. Thank you everyone for joining! I am quite excited about this game (and I have another one planned for after this one [Crystal, I'll need to talk to you about that later on]) so I'm quite extatic about this. So, without further ado, I pronounce signing up officialy closed and the game officially opened!!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #71
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Glirdan and Crystal

Please arrange the posts now here on the Discussion Thread by PLAYER name in the order you want them to appear on the game.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio

NOTE:

Naria only needs to put a CHARACTER BIO up for the game to start.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #72
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Might I propose that my post'd be the last one, since it's quite different (situation-wise) from the others?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #73
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I agree completely Lommy.

Crystal, how about this?:

Glirdan
Crystal Heart
Valesse
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Cordelia Harrison
The Sixth Wizard
Thinlomien
Old 11-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #74
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Looks great to me Glirdan.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #75
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Naria

Please get your character bio up ASAP, please.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RPG is now open for play.

Reminders for an RPG in play:
  • Please remove your signature from EVERY post to the RPG thread - including SAVES

• Don't use smileys in your RPG posts or icons - e.g., etc.

• Don't use the 'Reason for Editing' function on your RPG posts. If it's critical that other players know that you've changed something, then put a post on the Discussion Thread about your edit.

• No OOC (out of character comments) on the RPG thread - use the Discussion Thread.

• SAVES should be filled within 24 hours/48 at the latest and may be removed from the game at the discretion of the moderator.

• Swearing, sexual conduct, or obscenity of any kind are absolutely prohibited. There are no exceptions.

Quote:
    . . . I always ask myself if any of these words or euphemisms for cursing would be found in Tolkien's works. So I always say no to cursing and to any 'pseudo-cursing'. They need to keep it clean. -- per The Barrow-Wight

Have fun!!!!!

~*~ Pio
Old 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #76
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Posting order:

Glirdan I can not post due to the fact that my charrie is waiting for yours to answer me. Do you think that after that we really need to have an order at this point?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #77
Cordelia Harrison
Wight

Cordelia Harrison has just left Hobbiton.
Cool the game begins! I'm sooooooo excited!!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 AM   #78
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yay, the second RPG I've been in has started!

Dang, this officially means I am the only dwarf, bar Thin-Gloomy who (?) won't appear 'till the end.

Shall we have some sort of posting order, say, once its your turn you have to post within 16 hours or something, I don't know...

~THE SIXTH WIZARD
Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 AM   #79
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard
Yay, the second RPG I've been in has started!
I could say the same...

As to a posting order, I think one will only hinder us. But that's of course just my opinion.

(By the way, do you say "as to" or "as for" in English? I'm a bit confused about that.)
Old 11-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #80
Crystal Heart
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It probably should.

However, I can not post until Glirdan has posted. That is the only posting order that is in place.

Shall we start this game folks?