The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2003, 08:13 AM   #1
Aerenya333

The Eye Favorite Orc

Hello everyone, Im new, and really bored, the forums at another site are being repaired so i just decided to wander around. I was just curious, i hear everyone talking aobut favorite humans and creatures and elves. But which one is your favorite orc? I think the coolest one is the one in moria that looks at frodo with those huge bug like eyes. Well, thanks, hope to hear (or see) replies.
~Aerenya the Blue
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2003, 08:22 AM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
My favourit e orc is the 1745th orc on the 57th row back in Helms Deep. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

"my favorite..." topics belong on the Novices and Newcomers forum; please post and read on this thread there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

One of my favourite orcs is Grishnak (not the movie-Grishnak!!!!). I can't really explain it, though. Maybe I like him that much because he has some wits in him an understands what is going on and what's up with the Hobbits.
I also like Ugluk, and not that movie-wa**** "Lurtz". He's strong, he's full of hate, he's just cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"I am Ugluk, I command, is a great quote, I think."
Oh, and I think many people here should read the books first, instead of judging characters after the movies only.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #5
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Oh, and I think many people here should read the books first, instead of judging characters after the movies only.
well said balin fundinal. good as the movies are, the books are way better. and as they were writen before the movies, people should really focus more on the books.
p.s., if youre wondering who balin fundinal is, 1) youre an idiot (sorry) and 2) read the lord of the rings
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shagrat, just because of his name. Or maybe Boldog.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:03 PM   #7
propagandalf
Animated Skeleton

propagandalf has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i despise them all [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].
but if i have to choose one... ugluk of course.. he's not as annoyingly stupid and illogical as the others.

btw, i thought the dead-uruk-hai-head-on-a-stick in the movie was funny. i especially liked the 'tongue sticking out' part.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too don't like any of them, I wish they all would die (actually they all do). I think the one I hate the most is probably Lurtz, because he is just so mean, and in the movie he is very gooey.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:16 PM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
Lurtz, because he is just so mean, and in the movie he is very gooey
What do you mean by "gooey", Gorwingel? Presumably not gooey in the overly-sentimental, Spielberg-film type sense?!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

My vote goes to Ugluk. He is what every self-respecting Orc commander should be - aggressive, arrogant and over-bearing, while doing his best to discharge the responsibility given to him. He does what he can against all the odds to hold the rabble he is in charge of together. He even gives Merry and Pippin nourishment and heals Merry's wound (all in the cause of getting them to Isengard, of course).

Quote:
I am Ugluk. I command.
I mean, you've got to admire the guy's self-confidence. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]
Old 02-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #10
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] haha, never even thought about it! TheSaucepanMan has convinced though, very nice.

Books:
Ugluk - being the quintessence of orc.

Film:
Lurtz - his first movement is a kill, plus the gooieness (no offense Gorwingel [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ). Oh, and he killed Boromir plus gave Aragorn a nasty workout. That would look good on any orcs resume (if he wasn't killed, that is!)
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:43 PM   #11
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the movie, Lurtz for sure! He is the most handsome orc, he has a very cute bum, and the way he kills the "birthing orc", then marvels at his squeezing hand is hilarious! In the extended edition, he licks the dagger while giving Aragorn the "hairy eyeball".....oooh! [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] Then (as someone's little girl said [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) his head pops off! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Oh yeah, he says "Find my half legs!" (ack ack ack! ) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 03:34 PM   #12
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting

You actually think that Lurtz has a cute butt?? how on earth could you even consider something like that about a icky gooy guy that really needs a bath and shave..my favorite..I have to say is in the movie..the one that gets stepped on by treebeard..but its because he gets stepped on by treebeard
Old 02-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #13
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yeah! Real cute! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm thinking of that part when Saruman is preening over him. (he's washed the slime off) You know, when Saruman is walking around him, admiring the lovely Lurtz. He has those awesome gray "thunder thighs" and his tiny, tight behind....well, he has a cute, almost little boyish posture as he's standing there. Saruman is such a fruit! heh heh [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I like those leather hat things the uruks are wearing too. But the Uruks in TTT are ugly, Lurtz was definitely made more appealing than the other orcs. An orc star! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 05:53 AM   #14
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Favorite [sic] Orc

Myself!... with Shagrat a close second. He's tough, he's street smart, he gurgles a horrible yell of triumph, and laughs at people when they're hanging from the ceiling. What a guy!

Also protects Frodo and doesn't kill Sam, though given the chance. Shagrat, hero of the Ringquest.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:56 AM   #15
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

So YOU'RE one of the Orc's that Tolkien told us about that he saw in WW1. It's all beggining to fit in...

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

Old 02-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #16
sirithramiel

Sting

i know it's not necessarily a good thing, but i do kinda like the orcs..ESPECIALLY ugluk. like everyone's said..he's self-assured, confident, forward..plus endearing, in his own way.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:17 AM   #17
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Endearing? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2003, 08:44 PM   #18
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Two favourites [from the movies], though I don't think either have names.

When the orcs camp outside of Moria, there is an orc that I assume is a Moria orc. The one that says, "Yeah! How about them? They look freshhhh." He cracks me up everytime.

The other is Terry Gilliam Orc. He can be spotted walking behind Saruman with another orc as he tours his caverns under Isengard early in Two Towers. He's the spitting image of the Questioner at the Bridge in Monty Python's Holy Grail. You know, "Answer me these questions three" and "What's the average flight speed of an unladen swallow?" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

H.C.

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 09-01-2003, 03:15 AM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shagrat is the only orc I can stand.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:50 PM   #20
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always enjoyed Shagrat and Gorbag's conversation, but for sheer grotesque orkish leadership I have to go with Ugluk.

I thought Lurtz was very well done in the movie. He looked very evil and bestial, and it seemed a hilarious feat of depraved machismo when he drove Aragorn's sword through his own stomach.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:54 PM   #21
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Shagrat--definitely--no contest

And I still love all you people who decided not to read the book and enjoy the movie. You're missing out but I won't rub it in your face. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers!

-Maikafanawen
Old 09-07-2003, 11:16 AM   #22
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Does it necessary needs to be whole orc ? Well if not than I like that orc's head on the stick at the Fangorn fores after the fight between men of Rohan and orcs from the film . But if whole orc then my wote goes to Ugluk .
Old 09-08-2003, 09:15 AM   #23
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really can't say I liked any of the orcs in the books, bleh, death to orcs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The only one I liked in the movie was the one in TTT with the twitchy neck and funny lines. "Why can't we have some meats? What bout them? They're fresh" *snicker* Not that his intentions were funny... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Tis a shame though that the only one I liked got his head lopped off [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:14 PM   #24
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Hey, let's get one thing straight, you can't LIKE an orc! That is like admiring Melkor! They're the bad guys! The BAD guys! That being said...

I like the one that snarls "They're fresh", but I think it's funnier the orc that has the cockney accent and goes "What 'bout their legs? They don't need them." The creaking as he moves his neck and eyes, somehow it's just funny. I wonder where he learned the cockney...
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:30 AM   #25
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't like em. Not one!
But if I have to choose, I'll go with one who was in fotr, the one that enters the room where Saruman is in, and askes: "What orders from Morder, my lord, what does the eye command?"
He was talking in a kinda soft way, and he is the only orc that I can bring up a tiny little bit of sympathy for. real tiny though.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:17 AM   #26
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh yeah! Staple-nose! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 06:29 AM   #27
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Oh yeah! Staple-nose!
Yeah, that's the one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 07:00 AM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Quote:
I like the one that snarls "They're fresh", but I think it's funnier the orc that has the cockney accent and goes "What 'bout their legs? They don't need them."
Does anyone else who's seen the Harry Enfield Show (a UK sketch show from some years back) immediately think of Paul Whitehouse's Old G*t when they see him, or is it just me?

Quote:
He was talking in a kinda soft way ...
Sinister more like. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

No, "like" is perhaps the wrong word when discussing Orcs. I approached this on the basis of choosing the Orc who seems to me to display the most Orcish "qualities", to be best suited to his role in life. In other words, which Orc is simply the "best" at being an Orc. And (book) Ugluk appears to me to fit the bill perfectly. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]