The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Admin thread to WW XXX - Tol-in-Elendili - The Isle of the Were-Faithfuls

Númenor has been drowned in the floods of the breaking world, but the peak of the mountain Meneltarma still sticks out from the waters. A few of the once numerous people of the once star-shaped island were able to save their lives here, cursing the envious Valar and the cruel Ilúvatar. But then, at night, some of them seemed to have disappeared! Quickly the rumour spread: some of those dastard faithfuls have made their way up the mountain, too, and now seek to carry out their evil ways on the innocent survivors.
Up, loyal Men and Women of the King! Those who do not dare the deed to serve Melkor shall no longer do any deed anymore at all!

As you might have perceived, this be one of the games from the other perspective, where those usually considered to be good play the evil werewolves.

The cast:
Three Were-Faithfuls (common werewolves)
One High-Priest of Annatar (seer)
One Ranger (as always)
One Hunter (detailed rules about him will follow later)
Tar-Míriel (a cobbler. In opposition to canonical lore, the queen of this land did survive as well. But she is able to conceal her identity)
Eight innocent villagers or more

As you see, this will be a simple game. While it should still give enough of a thrill to experienced players, it is ideal for anybody new or long absent to the game. *hint*

This and that:
- no double-lynchings
- one retraction per day
- deadline: 9 PM GMT (to leave me time to do the narrations while I'm still able to concentrate, but the time is free for discussion)
- the real time counts, not the messed up forum time
- you may choose occupations if you want to, but it's not required

List of players:
Rikae
Roa_Aoife
Thinlómien
Nogrod
Durelin
Kitanna
the guy who be short
Gil-Galad
Legate of Amon Lanc
Holbytlass
Kath
Lalaith
Hookbill the Goomba
Garin
The Saucepan Man
Mänwe
The Might
Brinniel
Rune Son of Bjarne
Glirdan
Mithalwen
(this list is final now, no more new sign-ups)

Inevitably, I will be vaguely touching religious matters. It's not meant to offend anybody. Just take it as a mild parody.

PS: WW XXX sounds... funny.

Last edited by Macalaure; 02-23-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I don't mean to quivel, but oughtn't be High Priest of Anatar?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:18 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
When will you start? As soon as you have enough players? I'd love to participate, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Modding a game is the best way to get one wishing to involve oneself in actual playing!

So even though I had thought of having a break here, count me in. I have to play at least one before any breaks...

The deadline is excellent and other rules / roles looked fine.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I thought about to start this weekend or early next week, in case I have my desired 15+ players til then. But the starting date is open to debate for everyone.

You're right, Roa. I changed Sauron to Annatar.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
If you're starting that early, I could maybe play... but I have a nasty habit of staying alive 'til the last days, so I'm not 100% sure... Maybe if you could count me in with a questionmark after my name?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Count me in please.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I agree with Roa here (I must have read the initial suggestion too hastily). On lynching I think it should be the number one only. I thought the list basically for Night-time use only as it would make the Hunter a bit more powerful enemy to the wolves without sacrificing the narrational logic or overpowering her/him with a secured contra-kill with mod's whim (about who of the wolves would then be killed).
Quote:
Something else: Should hunter and ranger be able to pm each other? If not, it is possible that the ranger and the hunter pick each other to protect/hunt the night the wolves come for the hunter. Is the hunter protected now and nothing happens, or does the hunter first slay the ranger and is killed after it? It would make an awesome narration.
It would depend on lot of things... If you give the hunter a chance to kill innocents during the Night then s/he could kill the ranger, if you had decided the order of kills that way... But at least my list-thing was made just to prevent any innocent-kills by Night by the Hunter...

But one thing you should consider beforehand is which is the order of activities during the Night-phase. It would be nasty to realise that you had to decide the fate of two actual players from scratch as you hadn't thought of the order beforehand... Surely the needs of the narration might be as good grounds of resolving the Nightly actions as any other!

EDIT: X-d with Roa
Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Tricksy rules

If it is always the first one on the list of the hunter who dies if he is lynched on a day, then the lists are useless in daylight. For this reason I still think I will keep it this way and increase the hunter's power such.

I always thought that the main reason for the logical hunter was to make the role more realistic, so that he can only take somebody with him who is present when he is killed. If the ranger protects the hunter during a wolf attack, the ranger is present, so it would be logical that he, too, could be killed. The hunter is a mightier warrior than the ranger and is known to have a light sleep.

Rule adjustments (blessed be he who invented the admin threads!):

To not give the innocents too many advantages, ranger and hunter may not communicate. They will, however, know each other's identity, and they won't be allowed to pick each other, so the discussed situation can no longer occur. Though the ranger may have good reasons to keep the hunter alive, it's not really the hunter's fate anyway.

I'll change the hunter list size to the number of wolves alive (like Mith suggested). It's simpler and also makes more sense.

I think I will break with a rule and tell a person who has been successfully protected what has happened. He would only know that he has been saved, not by whom or from whom. Let's see how this works out.

To give the wolves a little tidbit, at the end of each day, the cobbler will give me a list of the people who he thinks to be wolves at the moment. This list I will give to the wolves. Not sure what they will be able to make with this information, but it might be of interest to them.

PS: Don't fear to be confused. I'll post the final rules at the beginning of the game thread. These are just technicalities anyway. I would still consider this a fairly basic game.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, you're the great Mod-God now, so what you say goes. We'll see how it works, and as always, it's good bit luck, and a good bit player dynamics, more than the rules, that decide how things go.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

That's true.

It's always the players who make a game 'just another one' or 'worthy of rememberance', never the mod or any set of special rules.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
I think I will break with a rule and tell a person who has been successfully protected what has happened. He would only know that he has been saved, not by whom or from whom. Let's see how this works out.

To give the wolves a little tidbit, at the end of each day, the cobbler will give me a list of the people who he thinks to be wolves at the moment. This list I will give to the wolves. Not sure what they will be able to make with this information, but it might be of interest to them.
These sound really interesting modifications!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Girl power!!!!

Quote:
Rule adjustments (blessed be he who invented the admin threads!):

It was a she actually *ahem* ...but all blessings gratefully accepted

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Where are you people? A nice game of werewolf on a tray and no one (the seven not included) takes the bite?

You can't be serious?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
What about the new Barrowdowners who may never have heard of Werewolf?

*warning: horrible pun ahead*

Werewolf needs fresh blood.
*nods frantically...*

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
As you see, this will be a simple game. While it should still give enough of a thrill to experienced players, it is ideal for anybody new or long absent to the game. *hint*
*...and hints again*
Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
sign me up though I are not fresh blood
Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #17
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just so everyone is aware, I will not be around during deadlines- I work from about 1:00 PM GMT to 10 PM GMT, and that's not counting travel time. I'll try to be on before I leave for work in the morning every Day. Also, I'll be as late as I can for the start of everyday, but don't count on me after 5 AM GMT. I turn into a pumpkin if I stay up much longer than that. (Sudden thought: Attack of the killer Were-pumpkins?)

I'll add as much as I can in that time frame. And I'll work during Nights as well to make sure I've got something to post as soon as I can get to a computer at the start of the day, so noone be surprised when I have a long post starting every Day.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #18
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Just so everybody knows, the people that have a question mark next to their names in the players list are the ones who are only able to join if the game doesn't begin on the 19th, but a week later.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If it starts this week coming - I have a long standing prior engagement on the Friday (23rd?) so if that is day I may be in stuck - not sure if the Sunday was the first day or when the roles etc will be sent out... also I don't know about work yet ..If I am not working you will see more if I am necessarily less

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just to clarify... when is the deadline for votin'?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #21
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

One after the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe
And I have taken the role of Village Fisherman, innocent grafter is what I am.
You should've told me before. Then I would have put Village Fisherman next to your name in the player list and it would have motivated others to take one, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Well, I want to apologize because I don't think I'm going to be able to stay active in this game.
It seems to require participation daily, and I don't think I have enough time for that at the moment, so sorry...maybe soon when I'll have some more free time
That's a pity. I'll put you to death in the Night 2 -narration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Just to clarify... when is the deadline for votin'?
It's still at 9PM GMT.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

About toDay

I must unfortunately leave and vote very early, since I'm going back home (where there is no net access, as I think you all already know). I'll leave around 1.30 PM my time so it's 11.30 AM GMT, I guess.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I am going to step in and intercede before this gets way out of hand. I do not know exactly what incited these responses, from what I gather there was a rather harsh seeming post in the game thread (which I haven't been following due to a lack of time). I am reminded of past problems over 'styles of play' and remind you all to look at the wonderful post that The Saucepan Man wrote up when he was moderator over the Mirth section. I stand behind what was said and request all parties involved to calm down and remember that this is a game in which we are to have fun not criticize others for the way they play.

I am by no means playing blame on a single source and in my experience it's usually both sides that share some amount, regardless I would recommend that everyone continue to play in the game. I will be deleting the posts previous to this that are about the subject at hand.

Mac, I trust that you will inform me if there are any future problems.

Oh and if people still want to withdraw from the game please post it anew though I would request that you consider the time and effort Mac has put into this game before you do so.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #24
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Not again...

I managed to see some of the posts here scantily as Lommy was using the computer and thence have an idea what it was all about.

Please people! It's a game and games should be enjoyed! They should be fun!

PS. Morm if you think this is inapproppriate, feel free to delete this too. I just felt I needed to say this out aloud even if I see that discussion about this is discouraged (which I duly understand why).
Old 03-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

What shall I do now?

When it was 3 for each, Lalaith, tgwbs and Saucepan, I misread Lalaiths retraction and made it 4 tgwbs, 3 Lalaith and 2 Saucepan instead of 4 Saucepan, 3 Lalaith and 2 tgwbs.

I won't post the things I'm calling myself right now...

Suggestions what to do now?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #26
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Well, as my role's out, we may as well leave it as me dying, I suppose.

P.s. Don't sweat. As Hookbill said, we all make mistakes. Have a jelly baby, if one is near you.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #27
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Suggestions what to do now?
Well as tgwbs is revealed you can't put him back to the game and any compensations would be pretty unfair (putting in a new Faithful or something).

I guess we just have to accept that the modfire burnt tgwbs for his inexcrutable reasons and the problem for the villagers remain whether Spm is a duck or a dove...

I don't see any other viable alternative right now which would not be unfair as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Well, although it obviously favours me, I can't see any alternative to sticking with the position as it is, namely that TGWBS gets lynched.

Either that or all three of us get lynched in a dramatic triple lynching.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Maybe the Saucepan Man falls into the Sea or something. Or starts an argument and ends up in a sticky situation involving... I don't know... glue.

Either that or let the Lord Pan off the hook.