The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2004, 07:12 AM   #1
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

Vanya has just left Hobbiton.
The Unfinished Tales - favorite story

Well, reading UT was splendid experience for me, almost as reading Silmarilion. I liked everything, but the story that made deepest impression was story of Rohan.
I liked how the battle on the river Isen was described, since it told so much about Rohhirim man, their spirit, way of life, courage, tactics, and of some heroes that haven't been (unfortunately) mentioned in LOTR. It gave me quite different perspective on battle in Helm's Deep.
However, what realy swept me away, was part when Cirion, the Stuart of Gondor, brought Eorl and selected few to secret grave of Elendil, to make an oath of alience and friendship to each other, as well as to make a valuable present (land of Calenardon) in return for the assistance in the battle.
It represented the real spirit of ME, and was so optimistc too.
Vanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
I liked the Narn of Turin best, and the description of the Rohirric army was very interesting. So was Tuor's tale, the story of the Nazguls' Hunt of the Ring, and the three last essays.

In fact, it's all good, but Turin's Lay is y fav.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Fords of Isen

The Fords of Isen and Cirion & Eorl are great stories. Aldarion & Erendis gives us a glimpse into a part of life on Numenor, and ir really a sad tale. I think Unfinished Tales is better than any of the HoME books I have look at.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

By the way, I can't really remember any case that Gondor aided Rohan. Is it because there was no need, since there were no big wars in Rohan, except that one when they were attacked from the east , and man from Dunland attacked them as well. Rohan was severely demaged, and Helm died (Gondor could't help because it was under pirat attack at the time.)
Do anyone know some significan event when Gondor came to help? Maybe there is something like that in HoME?
Old 05-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Personally, I loved "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin". It was very nicely described, and I love the story of Tuor anyway. It was simply lovely.

I also liked the chapter about the Druedain. They really are neat people.

I really liked Unfinished Tales, once I got into it. It was very enjoyable.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White Tree

I really need to read UT! What all is in it? More behind-the-scenes info about the events in the LotR trilogy? I've read the Silmarillion and Book of Lost Tales I and II, but it's always cooler to read about the events that took place in the War of the Ring.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #7
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
I agree

I agree with Vanya, about the story of Rohan. The backround stories and information I found most interesting, but my favorite part was the part about the battle at the Fords of Isen. Where Theodred, Elfhelmand Grimbold had to hold back the Uruk-Hai. It never really says much about this battle in the lotr except that Theodred died but it explains the entire battle and the history surrounding it most thouroghly. I found it to be my favorite part of the entire book of Unfinished Tales.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Orophin
Animated Skeleton

Orophin has just left Hobbiton.
Unfinshed Tales

To answer Knight of Gondor's qusetion Unfinshed Tales as you can probably imagine is short tales that cover just about every time period in middle earth. Off the top of my head I can remember stories about Gondolin, Numenor, there was a sory about Elros I believe there was also a story about Galadriel and Celeborn, plus all of the Rohan tales including my favorite the Battle at the Fords of Isen. I am sure that you will love it. It gives you bits and pieces of information that I havn't found anywhere else. Have fun reading it!
Old 05-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
I really like Aldarion and Erendis. Both of them are such strong characters. My favorite part of the story is before they are betrothed, and each is pursuing the other. Also, what Erendis says to Ancalime after Aldarion becomes King:

Quote:
"Therefore do not bend, Ancalime. Once bend a little, and they will bend you further until you are bowed down. Sink your roots into the rock, and face the wind, though it blow away all your leaves."
Just had a thought: Aldarion and Erendis are rather like the Ents and the Entwives, in love with each other but equally in love with their respective ways of life. And like the Ents, Aldarion needs to wander, and like the Entwives, Erendis wants to stay and tend her sheep. Aldrion and Erendis ultimately engage in quite a lot more vitriol than the Ents and the Entwives seem to, but I think there is a parallel.
tar-ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
I liked the Narn and 'Of Celeborn and Galadriel', especially the bits about Celebrimbor. I also liked the Aladarion and Erendis story, as well as the bits about Amroth and the Istari. In fact, I liked it all!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:49 AM   #11
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

Well, besides Rohan stories, I liked the Tuor's oming to Gondolin story, since I always admired that hidden realm. Story of Galadriel and Celeborn I find confusing, since there are so many different versions.
Interesting also was Gandal'f story of meeting Thorin.
Turin - oh it's little bit to tragic for my taste.
Does anyone know the answer to my question- when did Gondor help Rohan?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
What sort of instance are you looking for Vanya? In 2885, Rohan and Gondor defeated some Haradrim at the Crossing of Poros.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:44 AM   #13
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

Thumbs up

Thank you, Legolas. I don't recall many of events like that from the books I've read (LOTR, Sil,UT), and I always want to know more about this subject. I've explaind someplace that I don't dare to start HoME, since it's not translated. Reading Lotr in English was hard enough for me.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:55 AM   #14
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Quote:
Knight of Gondor said: "I really need to read UT! What all is in it? More behind-the-scenes info about the events in the LotR trilogy?"
Yes, there are some good background stories. The Fords of Isen tells how King Theoden's son Theodred gets killed, and also how the command structure of the Rohirrim was in somewhat of a disarray afterward, being the King was burduned by the sorceries of Sarumann.

Also another favorite of mine is 'Disaster at the Gladden Fields' where it tells in detail of Isildur and his loss of the battle, three of four sons, and the Ring, and his life.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #15
Legolas
A Northern Soul

I found the essary on the Istari to be of the most interest. I also like the detail Tolkien goes into in the sadly-incomplete 'Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin.' Other favourites are 'Aldarion and Erendis' and 'The Disaster of the Gladden Fields' - the latter of which is a satisfying story to sit and read in one short sitting because of its convenient length (though it is important - it was a pivotal event in the Third Age).
Old 05-11-2004, 02:10 AM   #16
Vanya
Animated Skeleton

other stories

Well, reading about Isildur's death at Gladden fields made me think twice about him, and made me realise the size of his tragedy. I wrote about this in "The most tragic figure" thread.
I liked Aldarion and Erendis story as well, but it was sad. I don't think Erendis was doing the right thing, being so proud and unwilling to compromise. He offered to take her with him (she hated the sea, but he hated the ground as well,but had stayed for her). She only succeded to be left alone and bitter at the and. The aspect of stoy that I liked most is mentioning Gil-Galad and his realm, of which I think there should be more talk.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:26 AM   #17
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Yes. Though Gil-galad's kingdom lasted throughout the entire Second Age, the Last Alliance is almost all we hear of it. It would've been nice to hear more about him. That's the "trouble" with such a world...there's so much there, you want to know more and more about it.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:58 PM   #18
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Not that it's relevent, but I've purchased the book and intend to read it on vacation. Thanks for the recommendation, it's why I bought it!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 05-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #19
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
I agree, with Legolas, the essay, about the Istari was a fine read. Aldarion & Erendis, was also a good story, and another look into the isle of Numenor.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #20
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
all post lotr writings...

for me everything in UT as well as everything else written from 1950 on is pretty much pure gold.

For me JRRT only hit his pace with the wrapping up of the LotR. He really begins to shine in the UT, Silm and HoM-E 10-12 material.

Something crystallized in his writing and or mind and the level of reality conveyed by the words and stories becomes far denser and richer, even though the subject matter is almost always darker.

I especially loved the 2nd age and early 3rd age historical bits on the elves and Galadriel, and of course the Narn. It is a sad fact that HoM-E does so little to illuminate this area more.

Unfortunately, we are given only part of the whole Hurin cycle in UT and must get some bits from the Silm. But most notably missing from UT is the Wanderings of Hurin now in HoM-E XI.

Still, I remember when [i]unfinished Tales[/i came out in 1980. It opened up beautiful new vistas even as it filled in major holes.

I reality UT should probably be reworked into the HoM-E series [ HoM-E XI.V] as we are denied quite a bit of lore in the 'general editor' mode CJRT did UT in. We see no textual jumbles in the Narn [and are still clueless as to the contents of the missing account of Hurin slaying orc or trolls at sunset at the Nirnaeth.

But the writings grow deeper and more satisfying as I fet older.

LotR may be the most well known. but his last 20 years of Silm writings are, I believe , his magnum opus, even if an unfinished and chaotic one.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.

Last edited by lindil; 05-15-2004 at 09:42 AM.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

I want to thank you guys! This topic prompted me to purchase UT a couple of months ago. I finished it, and even reviewed it for Amazon.com. (Would any BDers care to offer a few helpful votes for 'ol Knight's review? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...153920-0323903 I wrote it under the name "Dave". It would help a fellow BDer make a top 1000 reviewer rank, and I've written mostly LotR-related reviews! You have to have an account with Amazon.com, but it's free)

So my favorite story would probably be the behind-the-scenes stuff relating to the events in the books. I liked the story of Erendis and Aldarion, except that it had a rotten ending, having Aldarion be a jerk, and Erendis turn into a feminazi. It was still great to find out about Numenor!

I liked learning about the wizards, and the stuff right before Helm's Deep was fought.

Thanks again, you guys!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:03 AM   #22
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I really liked the Narn and all of the Third Age chapters. I must admit, Aldarion and Erendis has to be the saddest love story I ever read. It's too bad none of the stories are really finished ( ) but still very good. UT is probably one of my favorite Tolkien books (I definitely liked it more than the Sil.) I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #23
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

I'm not entirely sure why, but I enjoyed "The Quest for Erebor". Perhaps it is as it was the first one I read and taught me most about Gandalf. Moreover, It made The Hobbit make a little more sense, I thought it was a little farfetched that Gandalf just happened to be walking by and happened to engage Bilbo in converse. Also I liked "The hunt for the ring" for similar reasons.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:20 PM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I love UT... Aldarion and Erendis - the only love story with real passion albeit destructive passion ..... and all the back story on the Hunt for the ring and the Gladden and the Isen ...and Palantirs.... I need a newcopy though ...my original has just disintegrated...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #25
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Originally posted by Vanya
"Does anyone know the answer to my question- when did Gondor help Rohan?"
-----------------------------------
Just after Helm Hammerhand died in the Long Winter:
"The Eastern Invaders perished or withdrew; and help came at last from Gondor, by the roads both east and west of the mountains". (Appendix A, LOTR).

Perhaps the most enlightening selection in "Unfinished Tales" is on "The Battle for the Fords of Isen", not just the battle but also the footnotes, with details on the Rohirrim's organization.

And if you put together sections on Tuor in the Silmarillion and U.T. you've got the story of Tuor up to Gondolin, still missing his bio in Gondolin or after, although I believe there's some material in HoME.

But there's an enormous amount of fascinating material throughout U.T., including the dysfunctional royal Numenorian couple.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #26
Beren

My favorite would have to be "Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin". It adds a human dimension to the story of Tuor that I felt was lacking in the Sil.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #27
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I liked the little short stories in UT; I think my favorite part was the story of how the Pukel-men came to be. It made Middle-earth seem more real (and entertaining) to me since this was told more like a folk tale than a history book (which is how a lot of the Silm is... no matter how awesome a book it is, let's face it, sometimes it gets a tad tedious).
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote