The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #1
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Gandalf = Maia?

I'm sorry if this in another thread or something, but I'm wondering...Gandalf is a Maia, right? In The Silmarillion it says Olorin was a Maia, and he took the shapes of Elves sometimes. Isn't Olorin the same as Gandalf? But he's also one of the Istari. How is that possible? I haven't finished The Sil yet, but could someone please help me? Thanks.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Olorin is gandalf, and he is a Maia. the Istari were 5 maiar who were sent to middle-earth by the valar to counter the shadow growing (then) in mirkwood. so gandalf is a maia selected to be one of the istari. the same is true of saruman, radagast and the two blue wizards (the names escape me). for a fulller and more legible account (i'm still 1/2 asleep), look in unfinished tales, theres a section on the istari [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Hope that helped instead of confusing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Gayalondiel: Grrr: thanks for taking the question! LOL: I was all psyched to sound intelligent, then I see that you have answered the question. Oh well: yes, Gayalondiel is correct and, because I have not read UT yet, I cannot tell the other two wizards' names. I only know of them through mention in here and brief mention in other Tolkien books I have read.

And, Gayalondiel: most people in here cannot remember the other Istari's names, so it is okay. I have come across many mentionings on here of, "Well, yes, there were two others and there names were...yeah...", then the next one is something like, "I know! I forgot the other names!". So: I guess someone will reply to this and tell me the names *please do [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] !*, so: you guys will probably get your names!
Old 04-07-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The other two wizards were the Blue Wizards, Alatar and Pallando. They just kinda went off onto the east past Rhun and were never heard of again. It was theorized that one )or both) might have be "seduced by the Dark Side of the Force" i mean, uh, went over to Sauron's side like Saruman or were killed by Sauron. other than that there is nuthin about them....
Old 04-08-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

LOL VanimaEdhel, sorry for taking the question but the istari are about the only thing intelligent about. everything else leaves me so confused... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote