The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Downers' Own Music

I think I'm not the only one here who plays or makes music. Still I haven't come up with a thread like this.

So could we share our selfmade music relating to Tolkien and his works and exchange our comments on them?

Here to begin is my view on a Finnish composer Pekka Tegelman's version of "the Song of Boromir" that was composed for a theatre performance of the LotR in Finland in late 80's.

The original version had a large orchestra with strings and horns & stuff (and was sung by the then front-row actors in Finnish) so I have been forced to take considerable liberties in arranging this to suit better the preferences and possibilities I have - and making the melody to conform into the original English text. Still I have in the spirit of the original followed the idea of expanding the song step by step, starting from only an acoustic guitar and vocals and ending to the full-sized band and several vocals.

Other than that, only the melody-line is taken from Tegelman's original composition. All the rest is twisted (arranged) by me and played in my room (the drums I've programmed note by note with the aid of a drum-software - the neighbours wouldn't probably be too pleased about a drummer in a block of flats).

There are only the first and the third stanzas from the original text here followed by just one chorus. Even this way the thing takes four and half minutes...

I hope you enjoy this even though the quality of sound in MP3's is so terrible. (if anyone knows about an easy way to share actual audio-files I would be happy to learn more)

I'll be waiting for other contributions of Tolkien inspired music to be heard here!

It would also be nice to share songs if anyone of you would be interested. What I mean is that if one makes the basic stuff (drums, bass...) another might add her/his vocals there, second her/his bright guitar-solo and so forth...

PS. Thanks to Sleepy Ranger, Glirdy and Valesse for the idea as all this began with a possibility to make a Middle-Earth Idols Gala performance... which sadly never came about.

Last edited by Nogrod; 03-10-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

I think Oddwen's werewolf song should have the right to be in this thread! If I may: !.

PS: It would be really nice to be able to download it so that it could appear in your playlist once in a while and bring back good memories...
Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
a Finnish composer Pekka Tegelman's version of "the Song of Boromir" that was composed for a theatre performance of the LotR in Finland in late 80's.
Actually it was Toni Edelmann. You always mix them up.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien My LotR inspired music

Hey everyone, I've created some Lord of the Rings inspired music with this recording program I just downloaded, I'm no pro with it, I literally just got it about a week or two ago. But I wanted to get my LotR tribute out there, so from what I knew of the program I created these tracks. They are different. They aren't exactly orchestrated tunes.

Take a listen at: www.myspace.com/seekthesword

"Lament for Boromir" is the oldest one, and I've had this riff and some of the lyrics for almost 2 years, at least, and I finally got this program to record it with. It is my Lament for my favorite character.
"The Return of the King" is a melody that just came to me.
"The Way Is Shut" isn't exactly a LotR related song...and you can make what you will of "Over the Sea".

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril

I think this hugely resembles Nogrod's thread Downers' Own music. Maybe these should be combined.

Anyway, MatthewM, I think that seems cool but unfortunately I can't listen that on the school computer. Keep doing LotR-related music, it's great that some musical people have a love for Tolkien's work and use them in their things!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thanks very much for the link, Lommy! I'll merge the two threads as soon as this message has been seen here.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I stumbled across this in iMusic searching for the Last March of the Ents movie score.

https://youtu.be/na1xCvERtT0
Old 01-18-2024, 08:40 PM   #8
Marcus
Newly Deceased

Marcus has just left Hobbiton.
Loving your take on Boromir's song, especially the acoustic start. Can't wait to hear more Middle-Earth vibes. Count me in for a jam session collaboration.

Last edited by Marcus; 01-19-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote