The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Villains

I have thought about this for a while, and some of Tolkien's villains are far more interesting than heroes.

Take Feanor, who made the Silmarils, that Silmarilion is named after. Or Morgoth, who used them as his symbol of power. After killing their maker's dad of course.

Then there is Sauron, who is the title character in the book, and I have a headcanon about him, which hinges on 'even evil has loved ones' and this is real reason he wanted Pharazon dead. Why, he had two loved ones there, whoah.

Then there is Targlin. Oh, I have quite a bit to say about Targlin, but if I do, it would turn into an essay, so I'll just say this: Uma semente escura do mal foi semeada.

And finally, there is Turin, whose actions weren't evil per se, but still did a lot of damage.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Interesting antagonists make interesting stories even better than interesting protagonists do. But part of it is that many of these people are not villains, in neither the moral nor literal sense. There are tragic heroes and antiheroes, and not heroes at all but not really villains, or antagonists but not outright villains either... I am very surprised that you of all people would call Turin and Feanor villains.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #3
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Interesting antagonists make interesting stories even better than interesting protagonists do. But part of it is that many of these people are not villains, in neither the moral nor literal sense. There are tragic heroes and antiheroes, and not heroes at all but not really villains, or antagonists but not outright villains either... I am very surprised that you of all people would call Turin and Feanor villains.

I think you should be more surprised that I would call Targlin a villain.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
I think you should be more surprised that I would call Targlin a villain.
I have no idea who Targlin is. *shrug*
Old 03-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
OK, I'll bite. Targlin was an early and rejected name for Maeglin and an early name for galvorn, the metal that Eol's sword was made from. That's all I can find. Is there another Targlin?

*First time that I ever used the HoME index.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien had a passing notion to give the Dark Elf some very un-elflike traits including constant sore throats, and name him Garglin, but rejected the idea.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Tolkien had a passing notion to give the Dark Elf some very un-elflike traits including constant sore throats, and name him Garglin, but rejected the idea.

I like the way you think.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
aircon
Newly Deceased

aircon has just left Hobbiton.
Surely you can apply this principle to many strands of literature, films and TV. The villains are they key to the plots, the more interesting they are, the better the story lines
aircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
True. Middle-Earth would be a boring place without villains.

Welcome to the Downs aircon!
Old 04-17-2021, 04:28 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I personally found Tolkien's... anti-villains the most interesting. The heroic characters who were driven to do terrible things for one reason or another. The sons of Fëanor with their oath, especially, but also Túrin, and even Boromir. Come to think of it, it's kind of a recurring theme.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #11
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I personally found Tolkien's... anti-villains the most interesting. The heroic characters who were driven to do terrible things for one reason or another. The sons of Fëanor with their oath, especially, but also Túrin, and even Boromir. Come to think of it, it's kind of a recurring theme.
Of course you would find Túrin interesting, it is a matter of national pride for you guys.

Anyways, one villain (of sorts) that always annoyed me is Lotho Sackville-Baggins. He is never given a proper introduction, which confused the hell out of me when I read the books the first few times. Him taking over the Shire is actually something very interesting, and it is a shame that we have so few sources on how it unfolded.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote