The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #201
Ruoutorin
Pile O'Bones

Ruoutorin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebuial
Ok I did get it wrong before Legolas didn't slay the Balrog, but neither did Echelion. It was Glorfindel. Legolas led the rest of the people away because he was 'keen sighted'.
Both Ecthelion and Glorfindel slayed Balrogs. Ecthelion slayed Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs in the fall of Gondolin and Glorfindel slayed a Belrog allowing Turor and Idril to escape with Earendil, also during the fall of Gondolin. Glorfindel was reimbodied and sent back to Middle Earth. So, although he didn't survive his battle with the Balrog, if you wanted to ask someone what it's like to kill a Balrog you could probably ask him (or Gandalf).

Last edited by Ruoutorin; 02-09-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Ruoutorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #202
Sett
Pile O'Bones

Sett has just left Hobbiton.
My name does not have any relevence to LOTR. *Stands in shame as rotton fruit gets thrown at me*. I use this name just about everywhere i go. I take it from Set the egyptian god. I add a 't' so that it makes it more original , Sett. I use it because my life is pretty chaotic at times so the god of chaos has relevence to my life.
Sett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #203
Ainuosérë

cool, maybe i can help you out on that chaotic stuff.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #204
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My name 'Beleg Cuthalion' means 'Mighty Strongbow'.

I bet some of you knew that already.

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #205
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sett
My name does not have any relevence to LOTR. *Stands in shame as rotton fruit gets thrown at me*. I use this name just about everywhere i go. I take it from Set the egyptian god. I add a 't' so that it makes it more original , Sett. I use it because my life is pretty chaotic at times so the god of chaos has relevence to my life.
then control the creatures with care...
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #206
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I dig the reason for your name, Sett -- that would make you our second person with an Egyptian-inspired name, as far as I know, anyway. Set was definitely a chaotic sort of guy...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #207
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
I dig the reason for your name, Sett -- that would make you our second person with an Egyptian-inspired name, as far as I know, anyway. Set was definitely a chaotic sort of guy...
The other being Ka, I assume.

I like all you people's names, if only because they're more creative than mine. Then again, that really doesn't take much....
Old 02-14-2005, 09:33 AM   #208
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
"Immortal grey echo"... (Never thought it like that; normally I don't consider my name meaning immortal...) I don't know does it sound like a miserable little loser, or beatiful and sad.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 AM   #209
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Milady Revenwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via MSN to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via Yahoo to Milady Revenwyn
Mine doesn't really have a meaning.
I just coined Revenwyn as a character name for an RPG one day back in 2000 and it's stuck ever since.
The "Milady" part has been added somewhat recently by my adorable fiance. He has actually called me "Milady Revenwyn" to my face before, and I just giggled.
Milady Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #210
Milord Aldagrim
Pile O'Bones

Milord Aldagrim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milord Aldagrim
I got Aldagrim from the Barrowdowns hobbit name generator and the Milord because I'm engaged to the lovely Milady Revenwyn.
Milord Aldagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:24 AM   #211
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
I thank both Ruoutorin and Ohtatyaro for correcting me! One does forget things at times. You're both right of course. And Ohtatyaro, although I am obviuosly a Legolas fan I can't deny that Orlando Bloom was nice to look at. He does seem to have tried his best(bless him!) but obviously some people have got a bit carried away- his acting certainly wasn't good enough to merit all this OBsession, but teenage girls need to occupy them selves some how. Maybe we should attempt to sit them all down untill they've all read LOTR and apologised for their foolishness?

Milady Revenwyn, why don't you invent a meaning for your name? Everyones name has a meaning and if you just made up your name why not make up a meaning?
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #212
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
or just do some reaseach and try to figure out a right meaning for it...
Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #213
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Mine means "Maiden of Piercing Radiance." It's merely wishful thinking, mind you, but on the internet, nobody can tell the difference. Heh.

Quote:
I dig the reason for your name, Sett -- that would make you our second person with an Egyptian-inspired name, as far as I know, anyway.
Quote:
The other being Ka, I assume.
I had wondered if Ka had gotten her name from Egyptian mythology, too.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:19 PM   #214
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Send a message via AIM to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via MSN to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via Yahoo to Milady Revenwyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebuial
Milady Revenwyn, why don't you invent a meaning for your name? Everyones name has a meaning and if you just made up your name why not make up a meaning?
I didn't even think of that. Usually I choose character names that actually have meanings. But being as I coined Revenwyn in 2000 it would seem kinda odd to pile a meaning onto her name now. Plus I haven't a clue what it would mean. I do have an idea for women who come later in her family line to inherit the name as some sort of title, however.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #215
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milady Revenwyn
I didn't even think of that. Usually I choose character names that actually have meanings. But being as I coined Revenwyn in 2000 it would seem kinda odd to pile a meaning onto her name now. Plus I haven't a clue what it would mean. I do have an idea for women who come later in her family line to inherit the name as some sort of title, however.
Well, *wyn would appear to be the same element as in the Old English name, Eowyn, where it denotes woman. Revenwyn therefore could be an Old English (or, in the context of Middle-earth, Rohirric) name. The element reven* could mean to re-ven (whatever "ven" means), or could be a shortening of revenge.

There we have it, "Revenge-woman" or possibly "Re-forwardgoing-woman" (assuming that ven is some sort of garbling of "van", as in "vanguard".

Please note, this is total humour. I am far from a philogist. VERY far....
Old 02-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #216
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Shield

I did intend it to be Rohirric-type. She is a warrior, but she doesn't fight for the sake of revenge. Thus I'm not quite sure the "Revenge-woman" fits for her.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #217
Milord Aldagrim
Pile O'Bones

Milord Aldagrim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milord Aldagrim
Well, doesn't Revenwyn have black hair? And she is a warrior, death bringer, so could reven mean Raven? Raven-woman?
Milord Aldagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #218
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Ouch. You obviously don't know Revenwyn very well. And you're my fiance!

She's got reddish-blonde hair. If I created someone with black hair, I wouldn't say that I wanted a Rohirric-type name, would I?
Sorry I'm sounding harsh hon, I just thought that after I showed you all my drawings of her you'd know what she looked like...
Old 02-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #219
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

If you divide it up re-ven-wyn, then I get "delights in renewed hope." Re- from Latin meaning "again", -ven- is close to wen- from Old English/Rohirric meaning "hope", and -wyn from Old English/Rohirric meaning "joy, or delight" (not "woman," that's cyn or cene).
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #220
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Oh wow... thanks... yeah that does sound like her quite a bit. Thanks for your help. However, they wouldn't use 're' part of it would they?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #221
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Maybe it's influence from Westron/English?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #222
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My name actually has nothing at all to do with Tolkien, although I've made amends for it elsewhere by using the handle Ancalime Erendis (Tar-Ancalime being the first reigning queen of Numenor and Erendis being her mother--and the two of them being pretty much the biggest femenazis on Arda).
Emni Windrunner came from a story I'm writing from a sub-created world (so it's kind of Tolkienesque). Her full name is Emnilia, and she earned the title Runner based on her fighting stance (she's a warrior's apprentice). Not very exciting, I'm afraid, but I liked the name enough to use it elsewhere...until I read Unfinished Tales , and then I found two names I liked better. Oh, well!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 AM   #223
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Emni Windrunner sounds pretty good. I mean, it is original as well, not jsut taken from Tolkien

So, welcome fellow warrior (ohtatyaro means warrior in quenya )
Old 03-02-2005, 06:49 AM   #224
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I like Emni Windrunner too - it's a nice name.

(Ohtatyaro, you have a great signature )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #225
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Halbarad, a kinsman of Aragorn: Hal- I don't know the meaning of, and it is an uncommon word stem, unlike ara-. -Barad is tower, and Halbarad was a tall man (but so were the rest of the Dunedain). At any rate, Halbarad was the standard bearer of Aragorn in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, and (presumably, since he led the Dunedain out of the north into Rohan) a leader of the Dunedain in Aragorn's absence. His eulogy described him as being 'dour-handed', which to me says that he was a mighty warrior, or a stern captain. His answer of the 'summons' of Aragorn (Aragorn's wish, not spoken word- see 'Passing of the Grey Company' ) bespeaks his foresight and wisdom. A loss to the Dunedain, but of course I'm biased.
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #226
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Hal- means tall.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #227
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Mine means Gift of Laughter.... or Laughter Gift... which ever you want.... Anna=gift lalaith=laughter... but the problem is that i misspelled it.. so bleh!
Doom! doom! doom!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #228
Halbarad
Wight

Halbarad has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks

Tall tower. Makes sense. Thanks a lot.
-Halbarad to Aragorn, 'The Passing of the Grey Company' Book V, Return of the King."A little people, but of great worth are the Shire-folk. Little do they know of our long labour for the safekeeping of their borders, and yet I grudge it not"
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #229
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Mine is completely in English and has no meaning. I have a meaning-less name... *sniff*

Not! It may not have meaning, but who wouldn't want to be something as ancient and beautiful as the Memory of Trees?

Or maybe all the trees are gone, and I am remembering them.

Or maybe it's from the Enya song... who can tell? I wasn't aware when I signed up that I wouldn't be able to change my user name! Ach...

That's okay. I sort of like my name anyway.
Memory of Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #230
Makar

Makar has just left Hobbiton.
Makar is a Vala of War who was in the HoME, but never made it to the Sil. For a while he was pro-Melko, because evil is needed for conflict to take place.
Makar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #231
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory of Trees
It may not have meaning, but who wouldn't want to be something as ancient and beautiful as the Memory of Trees?
Maybe you remember the Ents, the Tree-Herders?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #232
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
I actually have a group of friends and we all call eachother by our designated Elvish names. I'm Parmawen (obviously) and it comes from Parma (meaning books) and wen (meaning maiden) =Book Maiden, since my nose is usually burried in a book, explaining why i'm so pale!
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #233
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmawen
I actually have a group of friends and we all call eachother by our designated Elvish names.
How lovely! What are your other friends' names?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #234
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My name comes from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books. If any of you have read them you wold pick it up straight away. But I also love dragons and dragon creatures so I guess you could say I had a personal magnetism to the name anyway, and it is kind of like I have been reborn in the world of Tolkien with the whole forum identity business...and being in Tolkien's world.

Nobody else seems to have names from other books they've read I notice. Although I only really read through the posts on this last page...
Old 04-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #235
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna
How lovely! What are your other friends' names?
Aldawen....and Layowyn...(I think Aldawen is tree-maiden, not a clue about Layowyn). We got them from using that book by Ruth Noel (sp?) so I'm not sure if they're grammatically correct!
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #236
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory of Trees
Mine is completely in English and has no meaning. I have a meaning-less name... *sniff*

Not! It may not have meaning, but who wouldn't want to be something as ancient and beautiful as the Memory of Trees?

Or maybe all the trees are gone, and I am remembering them.

Or maybe it's from the Enya song... who can tell? I wasn't aware when I signed up that I wouldn't be able to change my user name! Ach...

That's okay. I sort of like my name anyway.
Same here... Now i'm stuck with a title that is bound to put Eru in a tizzy...

Memory of Trees... Great name none the less!

Trees are awsome, and thus you are too...

~Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 04-02-2005 at 01:54 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #237
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Lathriel is a name I made up for the only fanfiction I ever wrote. Its set in ME and Lathriel is a princess. I don't think the name has any eaning but I like the sound of the name.

As for my real name, in Quenya I believe it is Dur. That's what my name means anyway. So can you guess what my real name is?
Old 04-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #238
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
So can you guess what my real name is?
Melanie?
Old 04-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #239
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I'll give you a hint, it is Italian or greek and it means dark in Italian.In greek it means rich.
I probably should have told you before that my name is not from english origin.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #240
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I give up. I've looked through a huge database of names, and Melanie is the only one there I gcan find that means "dark" in Italian.

Or maybe I'm just wrongly assuming you're a girl?