The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #321
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Mor-thoron (Sindarin) = Black/Dark Eagle. An Eldar character created in the mid 1990's for a long-running roleplaying tale. Has some of the sardonically nasty characteristics of Eol, but is a far wittier conversationalist. And humble. Did I mention humble?

P.S. Groin -- I could not find that specific definition for your name in any Gaelic/Irish dictionary; however, I did find the word 'groin' in a Scots dictionary, and it means 'to groan or grunt'. The Irish translation for dwarf is 'abhac' I believe.

Last edited by Morthoron; 05-26-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #322
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The first part of my name was a miss-hap on the keyboard (I was too hasty); it was originally suppose to be Gorin
Though no doubt a funny mishap

Eönwë is just the name if one of the Maiar (the one who led the armies againt Morgoth, and beat him!) so it's not that original.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #323
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's the Valarin name for Telperion, the silver half of the Two Trees. I guess I just got tired of using handles that had nothing to do with the subject of the forum, and as I always seem to join them way too late to lay claim to any of the names that usually resonate with me, I figured this was one nobody else would have already taken.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #324
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Mine is only reference to Feanors eldest son I fear, nothing special
Maedhros_the_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #325
mais m.
Newly Deceased

mais m. has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Skype™ to mais m.
My nickname is my favourite teddy's name. Lol!
mais m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #326
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
My screen name is well.... not that creative, I was stumped on a name for myself and the quote that is always on the top of the page was about Sam going into Cirith Ungol and the orc was talking about how there was probably an elf or a Gondorian somewhere near, so I thought up the name TheGreatElvenWarrior for myself, which refers to Samwise and is one of my most favourite characters! So I went with it... man that was almost a year ago!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #327
Olórin the White
Newly Deceased

Olórin the White has just left Hobbiton.
my screen name actually has a two fold meaning... Olórin is the Maian name of Gandalf, who of course came to be known as Gandalf the White. However, Olórin the White is also a play on the fact that he was considered one of the wisest of the Maia...so Olórin the White-Olórin the Wise...I know they don't really relate in a linguistic sense but it works on my head! maybe think of it like a cross between Gandalf the White and Olórin the Wise.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #328
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up It is what it say it is...

Howdy! Aloha!

Been a reeaallll looonnng time since my last update.

But Hot&Crispy(TM) is still hot in the market, serving the palate of hungry trolls Arda-wide for ISD$666.66. (No, we don't take Mordor Red Eyes here, only real Isengard dollars). So get'em while they're juicy!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #329
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I guess my screenname means that I have serious delusions of grandeur.

...Well, I do think Galadriel's pretty cool, don't you?

I also chose it because my handle elsewhere on the net is Topazlily, or "Topaz" for short and to me the name "Nerwen" sounds yellow.

*everyone stares at Nerwen and backs away slowly*

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #330
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen the Yellow
to me the name "Nerwen" sounds yellow.
Well, actually, it's sort of golden-yellow...

My name means that I am an ancient north european Goddess of Death. See my profile for more info. Somehow I have combined this with the whole rising out of lakes and throwing swords at people idea, although, being a Goddess of Death, I drag people into lakes instead. (Mathematicians especially, but only if they are superstitious ones, because those are the tastiest.) This is also why my avatar is blue - because I am underwater.

Really, that's what it means.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #331
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
*backs away slowly*
Old 12-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #332
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Andsigil is Sindarin for "Long Knife". Anyone who's viewed my profile will understand.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #333
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Mine is from Stephen R. Donaldson, "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever".

(I know many fantasy readers dislike these books as 'too depressing' or something of the like. Actually, my namesake is one of the least depressing, or rather most positively un-depressing characters I've ever met in fiction. And by the way, both of us are male, whatever the name may suggest.)
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #334
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Andsigil is Sindarin for "Long Knife". Anyone who's viewed my profile will understand.
indeed. I was checking out your knives a couple of weeks ago, and they all look terrific!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #335
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thank you, Gwathagor.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #336
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Well I'm guessing what my name means. El means star. Ulmo means 'he who pours' so my means 'star pourer'? 'Star water'? Or maybe it means 'red annoying character on American children's television'
Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #337
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Well I'm guessing what my name means. El means star. Ulmo means 'he who pours' so my means 'star pourer'? 'Star water'? Or maybe it means 'red annoying character on American children's television'
Heh. Since I have a four year old child, I'd never considered your name could refer to anything but the latter.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #338
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Heh. Since I have a four year old child, I'd never considered your name could refer to anything but the latter.
And as a hardened Silmarillion veteran, I'm shocked it doesn't mean the younger brother of Thingol to you.

Hmm... I think I smell a post to the "Addicted to LotR" thread.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #339
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You should know, Elmo should consider it a great honour he was named after a brother of Elwe Singollo
Old 01-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #340
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo
Well I'm guessing what my name means. El means star. Ulmo means 'he who pours' so my means 'star pourer'? 'Star water'?
Tolkien noted that (in Quenya) -mo '... often appeared in names or titles, sometimes with an agental significance': Ulmo was interpreted as 'the Pourer' < *UL 'pour out'

So here Quenya -mo does have agental significance 'pour out' > Pourer (one who does 'the meaning of the stem'), though not in all cases, noting Tolkien's 'sometimes'. If El- means 'star' in Elmo my guess would be something like 'Star-person'.

On the other hand, in The Shibboleth of Feanor (1968) Tolkien looks at Elwe, Olwe and the stems el-, ol-, and seems to cast doubt on an intended rendering of Elwe meaning 'Star-person': 'There is nothing known to connect Elwe more closely with the stars than all the other Eldar; and the name seems invented as a pair with Olwe, for which no 'meaning' was suggested'
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #341
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Interesting cheers. If it does mean star-person it is quite fitting who is studying Physics with Astronomy in University.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #342
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Also, it (-mo) might be masculine (just to add), so 'Star-(male) person' maybe
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 AM   #343
fenris1011
Pile O'Bones

fenris1011 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to fenris1011 Send a message via Yahoo to fenris1011
Fenris or "Fenrir" is Loki's son, a massive wolf, in Norse Mythology.

1011 is my birthday October 11th
Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #344
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

There's a starman waiting in the sky...
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #345
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
I just found out. Lindale is a city in Texas. When I entered the BD I never thought long about my username, and the first thing that popped into my mind--Ainulindale--was where I based my name on. It remains one of the most interesting pieces I've ever read.

Only, back then I wasn't sure how to spell Ainulindale, and I thought it was too long. When I collected my wits I wanted to shift the name to Diwata, the Philippine counterpart of "elf", or something else closer to home or would make more sense, but too late. Oh well. What's in a name anyway.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #346
TheOrcWithNoName
Animated Skeleton

TheOrcWithNoName has just left Hobbiton.
<------ My handle has no special, mystical meaning at all - totally mundane & boring in fact.

I think it came about after watching an old Clint Eastwood film playing a character called "A Man With No Name"; and then reading the cast-credits on the end of The Two Towers film and seeing a character called "Orc - uncredited"

Then my brain started to work (yikes, how frightening is that!) and I put the two together and I offer the world "TheOrcWithNoName".

So much for a higher-education!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #347
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
And I thought it came from the song about the horse with no name...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #348
TheOrcWithNoName
Animated Skeleton

TheOrcWithNoName has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
And I thought it came from the song about the horse with no name...
Ummm.... that too
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #349
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My username means snow flower.
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #350
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Haha, welcome to the 'downs, Loslote, I think I have played an elf character of that name when I was a kid. (Or then it was Losloth, I'm not sure...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #351
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
My username means snow flower.
That is so appropriate!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #352
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks! I came up with it while writing a fanfic that I...never...actually...finished...oops.

Oh, well. I now use 'Loslote' on all the online sites I'm on.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #353
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My first ever post sounded something like " it was Galadriel", so with that in mind I picked that as my username (the name means "Lady crowned by a radiant garland"). I added the 55 after seeing that the name was already taken, for the simple reason that I usually add this one rather than other numbers when I need/want to. Not always, but usually.

After the fact I wished I had chosen a more original name (there are what, 5 Galadriels walking around on this forum?), or at least a name that resonates more with me, like Earwen. But I'm so used to it now that if ever my account will crash, my new one will not say Earwen55, but Galadriel555.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #354
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dűm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I usually use the login Jallan or jallan which is the initial of my first name followed by my last name as I just like the look and sound of it and it fits. But on some forums the names Jallan and jallan were already taken, so I usually extended it to Jallanite or jallanite on those forums.

The letters in the “-ite” suffix are supposed to stand for my book, An Introduction To Elvish.

I don’t see that there is another Jallan on the list, so I may have used jallanite just because it seemed more Tolkienish than jallan. Why I made it all lowercase I don’t remember.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #355
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
MCRmyGirl4eva

MCR is the band My Chemical Romance. After their third CD, The Black Parade, came out, the british newspaper The Daily Mail accused them of being a suicide cult because a girl killed herself. They are opposed to suicide and self-harm, and replied with "Wr're not a cult, we're an army... the MCRmy!" Thus, MCRmy.

The part girl is self-explanitory, and 4eva means forever.

My sis wouldn't let me use MCRmyGirl4eva for her website, (which, btw, I'm never on) so I used Thranduilion, even though it implies that I'm male. Don't care, though.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #356
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRmyGirl4eva View Post
\MCR is the band My Chemical Romance. After their third CD, The Black Parade, came out, the british newspaper The Daily Mail accused them of being a suicide cult because a girl killed herself. They are opposed to suicide and self-harm, and replied with "Wr're not a cult, we're an army... the MCRmy!" Thus, MCRmy.
Oh! I thought it was my as in first person possessive, which is why your name did not make any sense to me before. It sounds cool this way, when I read it properly.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #357
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Oh! I thought it was my as in first person possessive, which is why your name did not make any sense to me before. It sounds cool this way, when I read it properly.
Exactly. I was even like "MC... whatever 'MC' is... so MC are my girl? Forever? What in the world is that supposed to mean?"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #358
Aerandir
Newly Deceased

Aerandir has just left Hobbiton.
My name means Sea Wanderer. I chose Aerandir because he's the most obscure and unknown character ever.
Aerandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #359
Gilnaur
Newly Deceased

Gilnaur has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My name means Starfire. Gil for star and naur for fire.
Gilnaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #360
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Well...

Elyna is my actual name and i am firmly convinced i come from Rivendell

Probably very obvious...Ah well...
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote