The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #161
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orominuialwen
I assign native English speakes who misuse apostrophes. I can understand how people who normally speak another language might have trouble, but I'm going to get violent if I see one more person write "I bought some new book's."
The number of times I've seen "it's" and "its" confused in handouts from professors astounds me.

I'm assigning computer programs that won't permit uninstalls. I have one stuck on my PDA that isn't working but I can't take it off because it has assigned itself to a protected file.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #162
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Lalwendë, so spell checkers should go to Mordor?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:16 AM   #163
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree Go to Mordor; go directly to Mordor. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Quote:
Though there's alot of stuff I'd like to get out of Mordor. ~Oddwen
I wonder if there ought to be a "Get out of Mordor Free Card"

Another thing I would like to send to Mordor: red food coloring. Gets everywhere, looks disgusting, tastes funny in quantity.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #164
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I think purple ketchup can go to mordor. It just looks absolutely disgusting!! How can people eat that...
Old 07-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #165
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
Mary-sues should be send to Mordor.
How about satirical ones like my own dear Merisuwyniel? She's a gorgeous, talented, pure-blooded Elven shieldmaiden with a wonderful personality and a great fashion sense for knowing just what one wears to a Quest. You can't want to send her to Mordor!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #166
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am sorry but I don't like fan fiction very much in general. Go ahead write them, but I won't read them.

On Robin Hobb's website you can read a whole rant about fan fiction and I agree with her.

But I wouldn't send people to Mordor if they write fan fiction although I think Robin Hobb would.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #167
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I doubt very much if this Robin Hobb's rant comes close to being applicable to our very own Merisuwyniel or either of our Revenge of the Entish Bow or Reunification of the Entish Bow. Not *all* fanfictions are alike.

One really ought to read them before one casts rants.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 07-01-2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Hello Merisu, goodbye extra e
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #168
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I didn't mean it as a rant. Apologies if it was taken that way.

What else should be send to Mordor?

Clothes for dogs! With this I mean clothes like the ones Tinkerbell (Paris Hilton's dog) is forced to wear. I feel very sorry for the dog who has to wear such things.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #169
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
Clothes for dogs! With this I mean clothes like the ones Tinkerbell (Paris Hilton's dog) is forced to wear. I feel very sorry for the dog who has to wear such things.
Paris Hilton herself ought to be sent to Mordor. With a bit of luck the heat would melt her.

And anyone who names their kids after their hotels should go too. By that logic I might be called something Margate Seaview or Skegness Travelodge.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #170
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Just to comment briefly on what Lathriel said - while I obviously don't dispute someone's right to create fanfiction, for some reason reading it always makes me uncomfortable. I just can never get as into it as I do to the stories created by the original authors. I realize this is probably hypocritical of me, seeing as I write my own fanfiction. But, since I feel so ill at ease reading the fanfiction of others, I never post mine: it's one of those things I do for myself alone. I'm always willing to share my original fiction, though.

Who would I send to Mordor? Gee, how can I answer that without getting political? That's a tough one.

Okay, I'll go a different route, then. How about we send all closed-minded bigots in general to Mordor. Although, that would make us closed-minded and would probably put us in the same category as those people, lumping them in one category and shipping them off.

I wouldn't mind sending some of the New York Yankees announcers into Mordor. I swear, most of them don't speak English - and it's supposedly their first and only language. My father and I have a joke that if you were to ask them, "What language do you speak?" they'd reply, "None."

"Other than English?"

"No. I speak no language."

Well, this is a phonetic interpretation of what the average call sounds like:
Duh pisch tuh Deter...lu-WING enna miss. Snike tree!

Translation:
The pitch to Jeter...Swing and a miss. Strike three!

And no, that was not exaggerated in any way, shape or form.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #171
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
People who still complain about languages, when all language has already been sent to Mordor.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:41 AM   #172
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Paris Hilton herself ought to be sent to Mordor. With a bit of luck the heat would melt her.
I believe she's already in Mordor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp (post #21)
Anything having to do with Paris Hilton (including this sentence) .... and her ilk.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-03-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #173
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

The lack of published Quenya makes me rather sore
As it is quite evident that if there were some more
Ambiguous Quenya grammar could be a lot more sure
And so this deficiency goes directly to Mordor.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #174
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, and their loathesome reality shows should all go to Mordor, along with teachers who spend the entire school year reiterating what was already taught. That really annoys me.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #175
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's been many years since I've been in High School but I would assign busy work such as the end of year crossword puzzles or word searches that you had to hand in after working it all day in class. Why? Because the teacher didn't think it important to prepare a lesson. I mean seriously a word search...what do I really learn from that?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #176
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
ldirmchow ksxndhjwjzto
hsjsfind jndxhhdjsbxhydwords hdhcncn
of hnchddjdbhgdhsjcourse jdjiidhfue
Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #177
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
With a soft regional accent such as Cornish or Southern Irish, it is in my opinion a beautiful sounding language.
I missed this earlier. So basically what you're saying is that English is a beautiful language when spoken by Celts, but not by the English (or Americans).
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #178
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I hereby assign whatever amount of caffeine my sister consumed to deliberately mispell Michael as "Miocuhaiealy" as revenge for mispelling her name, and causing me to nearly choke on my nacho chips straight to Mordor.
I suspect this is a variation on the British/American spelling wars and is already in Mordor, but ah well.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #179
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I missed this earlier. So basically what you're saying is that English is a beautiful language when spoken by Celts, but not by the English (or Americans).
Absolutely, being part Celt myself.

Although I speak English the way that it should be spoken - without a hint of an accent.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #180
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
On a Serious Note:

I assign Religious Fundamentalist Terrorists to Mordor and worse, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #181
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I thought there was a non-worded agreement to keep this thread light-hearted and non-political. In any case, I doubt anybody would disagree with you, lmp, though perhaps the generalisation of "All Terrorists" would please people a little better.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #182
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I would like to assign overzealous political correctness. Why is it so wrong to ask for a black coffee? It's just a colour!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #183
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Since when has it been wrong to ask for a black coffee?

One element of PCness that amuses me is the substitution of "Caucasian" for "white." Caucasian applies not only to Europeans, but also to Arabs and Indians. To Mordor!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #184
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Since when has it been wrong to ask for a black coffee?
It isn't. That's the point. It's too much.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #185
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Yes, but...

I have never yet been confronted for asking for a black coffee.

TGWBS: May I have a black coffee please?
Vendor: Excuse me! Are you insinuating that my coffee is racially inferior to other types?! Get out, foul Dwimmerlaik!

Nope, don't see that ever happening. You must live in a really weird and scary place.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #186
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Ah, political correctness... *sends it out the window with a swift kick*

In a world where a joke such as:

"Will you get me some eggs?"
"Brown or white?"
"White."
"Ooh, racist, are we?"

is actually too close to the truth for comfort... No, the funny thing is when, in a sentence, there are "whites and African Americans." Either say "Caucasion and African American" or "black and white" (or dark brown, or beige, or whatever other colors you like), but when people mix and match terminology to be "Politically Correct"... Disturbing.

Have I ever said before that sunburns belong in Mordor? 'Cuz they do.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #187
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
No, the funny thing is when, in a sentence, there are "whites and African Americans." Either say "Caucasion and African American" or "black and white" (or dark brown, or beige, or whatever other colors you like), but when people mix and match terminology to be "Politically Correct"... Disturbing.
There you go, using Caucasian for white again.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #188
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Caucasian applies not only to Europeans, but also to Arabs and Indians. To Mordor!
It also applies to many Americans. I am of European descent, but am not European. You see, the word "caucasion" is a perfect word to be used as a generality for "non-"black" people who don't fit any of the rest of the labels".
Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #189
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

TGWBS educates Fea

Americans. Granted. You're Europeans at heart, though...

Quote:
You see, the word "caucasion" is a perfect word to be used as a generality for "non-"black" people who don't fit any of the rest of the labels".
False-o. "Caucasian" only applies to Native Europeans (migrated to larger continents or not), Arabs and Indians.
"Negroid" refers to black people from Sub-saharan Africa.
"Mongoloid" refers to the majority of people. Geographically they span from Mid-Asia to East Asia, as well as including Native Americans.
"Aboriginal" refers simply to Aborigines, and also some people from Southern India.

And there you have it. Nice learning experience, eh?

Off-topic posts should go to Mordor.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 07-07-2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: lager => larger... America as a lager continent is interesting, though
Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #190
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Off-topic posts should go to Mordor.
And with that many Barrowdowners (me included) are forced to spent a month in Mordor in bootcamp! NOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #191
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I thought there was a non-worded agreement to keep this thread light-hearted and non-political.
Yes, I've noticed that too. I don't mind it, but I don't want it to prohibit that which is worth saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgwbs
In any case, I doubt anybody would disagree with you, lmp, though perhaps the generalisation of "All Terrorists" would please people a little better.
No, actually, the religious fundamentalist version of terrorist is even more scarey than the simply greedy or power hungry, in that the former actually believe in their own rectitude, and thus they stop at nothing whereas the latter, akin to werewolves, know they're doing something criminal and hedge their bets for the sake of survival and return on "investment".
Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #192
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
Although I speak English the way that it should be spoken - without a hint of an accent
Oooh, fighting talk! Of course, all ways of speaking English are accents you know. There is no 'correct' way, unless you are talking about Lancastrian English which is of course, an ancient, unsullied dialect rich with tone and meaning.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #193
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Boredom, quite simply. Like, the total boredom where you somehow can't even motivate yourself to do...anything. Yet doing nothing is quite surely going to drive you insane. So everything becomes a chore, and you'd somehow just rather sit there browsing nothing on the internet without any real interest rather than do something....productive.

...and yes, I am on my holidays. Verily, boredom is an enemy I am getting to know very well

And also, of course, the official font of Mordor: Comic Sans. Can you imagine arriving at Mordor and seeing the huge, fiery sign cheerfully informing you in those infuriatingly bubbly letters 'Welcome to Mordor!'. *Shudders* Like being licked to death by a puppy...or a siamese cat for that matter....
Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #194
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Portugese-men-of-war
These bad boys scare the heck out of me. I didn't know about them till the 10th grade. My teacher tells me about them and how to identify them then that summer and for years after I would see them at the beach.
They are wicked jelly fish but their bulbous bodies are blue and they float on top of the water to come and get you!!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:25 AM   #195
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Stupid names, like "Jellyfish". You'd expect one to look fish-shaped and be made of Jelly.

And also, "Portugese-Men-of-War." You'd expect them to look like men.
Actually, that name could be offensive to the Portugese. And to Men. Henceforth, they should be called "West-Iberian-People-of-War."

Wait... does this all come under language?

*vanishes to Mordor in a puff*
Old 07-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #196
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I have never yet been confronted for asking for a black coffee.

TGWBS: May I have a black coffee please?
Vendor: Excuse me! Are you insinuating that my coffee is racially inferior to other types?! Get out, foul Dwimmerlaik!

Nope, don't see that ever happening. You must live in a really weird and scary place.
You know, if I were called a Dwimmerlaik in the course of an average conversation, I just might faint.

Actually, the problem is that everyone here in the U.S. now wants to be called a Something-American. If you want to generalize, though, you can't get that - well - specific. If we were to call me a politically correct hyphenated name, I would be a Russian-German-Syrian-Austrian-Polish-Swedish-French-Dutch-American. That doesn't exactly just roll off the tongue. I don't mind being called "white" - call me white, I don't mind. If you want to call me "of European and Middle Eastern descent", go for it. I'm really not that picky.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:19 PM   #197
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

There's PC-ness...and then there's taking it too far. Call me white, call me black, call me bloody rainbow-coloured (I defy you with my English spelling!) - I really don't mind. When people dance around it and get twitchy when the words black or white are mentioned, insistently referring to people as 'dark skinned'...well, it just seems silly. I do believe there needs to be a line - but at this moment, society seems to be so far past that line that the line...the line is a dot.

TGWBS - calm down, everyone is allowed to make their own point and sure, there are lots of things about language that different people may object to or even, dare I say it, like language. *gasps* It's like saying that if one person decreed that men should be sent to Mordor - does this mean that no one else can mention any specific male or male trait that should be sent? (Purely hypothetical situation, of course...)

Quote:
(although I would love it if I could say the word theater as you Brits do)
Ah, but then there are some brits who delight in saying it differently. See, the word 'theatre' is rather difficult to spell phonetically as Brits would say it (theer-ter maybe?), but my drama teacher always insisted on saying it 'thee-ah-ter'. Argh! It's that way that thespians often have, to put their own melodramatic, theatrical spin on a word that was really perfectly fine how it was. It just lends such a pretentious air to the word...

*Sigh* And now I'm getting heated about a word. Something wrong here...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #198
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Since Aman could not quite bring herself to do it, I will do it for her: pretentious pronunciations are hereby assigned to Mordor. If an rpg ever takes form, I will have a gas and a half over this one.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #199
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Since Aman could not quite bring herself to do it, I will do it for her: pretentious pronunciations are hereby assigned to Mordor.
I'll second that. And make sure that the following are included: pretentious pronunciations of foreign language words and phrases. I mean those delivered with a particularly heavy, comedic French/Italian/Spanish 'accent' which the speaker so clearly belives is the correct and cultured thing to do. Alas it reminds you of sitcoms like 'Allo 'Allo. Richard Madeley, greasy UK daytime TV presenter is particularly guilty of this one.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #200
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Ooh er, an RPG from lmp? I wait with baited breath...
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Since Aman could not quite bring herself to do it, I will do it for her: pretentious pronunciations are hereby assigned to Mordor. If an rpg ever takes form, I will have a gas and a half over this one.