The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005, 09:35 AM   #321
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Something that children should realize is that most parents would brave Mordor to rescue their children from it if they needed. I admit I was a punk teenager and "hated" my parents at times. Now I feel different. Being a parent myself I see all the sacrifices they went through and all they did for me. I love my daughter so much that I would lay my life down for her if need be. I think Tolkien wrote about that many times, while not directly though. How many of the free people fought to their own death because they wanted their liberty and to, in essence, give that to their children.

Teenagers, just remember that your parents love you. You should go today and thank your parents for being great.

About that phrase of you are judged by your company. Be careful who you hang out with because they usually have a stronger influence on you than you realize, for better or worse.

So I would assign neither parents nor teenagers to Mordor who truly care for each other. Parents who abuse their children should go their. How a parent can do that is beyond me.

Sorry if this sounded overly preachy
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #322
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We don't want none here

This is a rant thread. Pass on any further wisdom elsewhere, please, like PMs.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 AM   #323
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
I think I might have a solution for this parents-children thing. So, I say that children who cannot see how much they mean to their parents should be sent to Mordor, but that they should also be joined by parents who cannot understand their children. Now I hope that everyone is satisfied.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:57 AM   #324
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimturiel
So, I say that children who cannot see how much they mean to their parents should be sent to Mordor, but that they should also be joined by parents who cannot understand their children. Now I hope that everyone is satisfied.
So, who does that leave ...?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #325
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So who does that leave?
It leaves me and my family safely out of Mordor. . And while we're at it, I say that adults who do not remember how it is to be young can go to Mordor. Albus Dumbledore said once that it is natural for the young not to understand the old, but that the old should never forget how the young act. And I drink to that.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:18 PM   #326
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Oh come come now... I don't hate my parents, and I rarely feel misunderstood by my mother. I hate it when my parents demand to know what my friends and I are talking about on AIM, and I hate it when they brag about me. That's a big one... I HATE when my parents brag about me, so that goes to Mordor.

And I hate it that I understand how much my parents love me, at least as much as a teenager can understand that, but that they still drive me nuts.

And I hate that my continued exposure with the "bad kids" left me great friends and great memories, but also with rumors that idiots spread about me and a permanent paranoia of law enforcement officers. So that goes to Mordor as well.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 PM   #327
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I assign people who use personal grief as an excuse to treat other peple badly to Mordor. Everybody has family members die, and just because this happens it does not mean that they have licence to be angry and abusive towards everybody else.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:13 PM   #328
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I would assign men who hit women and parents who abuse their children. The real evil in this world is not orcs or uruk-hai or wargs it's people who ignore what it is to be human and become monsters themselves.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:49 PM   #329
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Ooh, Oddwen, love the firey evil grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
parents see their children as extensions of their own bodies and souls
I can't remember where I heard this or the exact quote but it was something about having children is like having your heart walking around outside your body.

Oh, yea, hovering parents, I call them 'helicopter moms'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimturiel
Albus Dumbledore said once that it is natural for the young not to understand the old, but that the old should never forget how the young act. And I drink to that.
I drink to that, too. But Dumbledore never had kids!

Off to Mordor: splinters
Old 08-31-2005, 02:58 PM   #330
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign to Mordor stereotypers... "teens do this," "parents do this." I hate being stereotyped.

I, for one, have a very good relationship with my parents, and I can't claim to understand how people really feel when they claim "I hate my mom (or dad)," or are just always complaining about the things they do... the last argument I remember having with my mom was like four years ago.

Also to Mordor goes English classes and both this year's and last year's English teachers. Especially this year's... she's so boring and annoying and over-does the grammar side of things - what *honors class* needs to do some 15 worksheets on just commas before understanding it?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #331
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign procrastination. I know that it's easier to "just get it done", and I know that it's a huge relief to know that I have all this free time with nothing to worry about, and yet

every

single

time

I can't resist putting things off until the last minute. My Tom Sawyer essay (that I've tried to write for a month, have to have done by morning, and still have to finish) is mouldering on my hard drive, and my Lia Lee essay was only completed two days ago. But I can't help it. I need to break my bad habits.

So I'll just send bad habits to Mordor. And the kind of parent that thinks that you being upset by other people organizing what you've already obsessively organized is a clear sign that you're nervous about leaving for college in the morning. I should have thought it would be obvious that I'm simply obsessive when it comes to packing.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:23 PM   #332
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
what *honors class* needs to do some 15 worksheets on just commas before understanding it?
Oh, didn't you know that honors means special? Ah, just kidding

Procrastination is my middle name! My husband is going to put on my tombstone 'I'll do it tomorrow'. After all, why do today what can be done tomorrow!

Packing:traveling:airports: (I send to Mordor)strip searches to get to the gate
Old 08-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #333
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oh my, I hope LMP's RPers don't have to strip their characters to pass Mordor Security on the way out! After all, we're supposed to be family friendly.

You know what can go to Mordor?

Being Forbidden from entering The Barrowdowns!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #334
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
when you write to somebody, snailmail, 5 pages and all you get back is a paragraph. and your suposed to have loved this guy for 3 years of your life.

Yes, you'd be absolutly narfed if you were me!
________
Marijuana Vaporizers

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:24 AM   #335
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
I agree with Fea on procrastination. I'm still not done with over-the-summer homework that's due tomorrow and that I've known about since the beginning of June. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 AM   #336
Glim Thundersinger

Tolkien

I would assign to Mordor...

Once respectable people who sell their soul by acting in lousy commercials.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #337
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign to Mordor the concept that doing things like college applications is more important than wreaking Orkish havoc in an RPG. I also assign the concept that attempting to accomplish said Orkish havoc is "doing nothing". Pah.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #338
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I assign going into school when it is absolutely pointless. We were dragged in this afternoon to do nothing more than confirm which options we were doing. Now this seems all very well and good except that on Monday we have 2 form periods in which to do all this Admin stuff and then a year assembly - tell me why this couldn't have been done then!

I also assign the lying television people who claim that the advert breaks are no louder than the programmes
Old 09-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #339
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign going to bed when it's light out. Whether it's when it's still light out or light out again when you finally do get to go to bed, it's never fun.

I also assign really heavy textbooks, especially those one is required to bring to class every day. In the two days of school so far, I have been given six textboods, four of which I am required to bring every day. I got three textbooks from one class alone, and we'll be getting a fourth at some point. All the books don't even fit in my backpack, and I'm probably going to get some sort of back injury from carrying them all. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #340
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Inspired by the "Lost in Translation" thread

I'm currently rotating through a clinic with a substantial non-English speaking patient population, which means that I'm depending on our language line for translations quite a bit. Fortunately, we have good translators, but if they weren't as skilled, chaos would result. Therefore, I'd like to assign bad translations to Mordor.

Besides, suppose a group of Mordor assignees had to hold a conversation through the mangled translation service...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #341
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Fea raises her vaguely exhausted Freshman hand unobtrusively in the corner where she's falling asleep. "Can we assign text books that cost over a hundred bucks a piece and that they have no used versions of? Oh, and Saturday morning classes. On the other hand, that gorgeous Swiss boy can stay right out of Mordor..."
Old 09-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #342
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Don't know if this has already been assigned but I'm angry enough that I will assign it anyway. I assign theives to Mordor. Somebody who breaks into your car and takes out anything of value inside of it regardless of the fact that some of it may have extreme senimental value for my wife. Basically I assign people who have no regard for others as to violate them like this and in other ways.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #343
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
The Eye

The dark lord Sauron forged from the fires of Mount Doom the Ring of Power, to controll all other rings. But he also made another item. An item conceived by such pure evil, the mere touch of it would burn the souls of that person, and all they're decendants and ancestors. This evil was perfect in creation, and went well with Eggs and other breakfast foods. This evil would triumph all others.

SPAM!!!!!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #344
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
and VIRUSES
Old 09-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #345
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Idiotic bees. I can understand a bee stinging you if it flies near and you hit at it and act frenzied and spastic. I can understand a bee stinging you if you step on it barefoot or something of that sort.

What I can't understand is why it had to randomly fly into me, panic, and sting me in the wrist. In the very spot that I rest on the desk as I write. In the very spot that is driving me mad with a very vague itch/ache as a result.

I'm developing a strong dislike of bees simply because of this Fool of a Bee that couldn't see the much larger than itself obstruction in it's path.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:39 AM   #346
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
UCAS applications. In fact everything to do with trying to figure out where to go to University and all the stupid form filling you have to do. Personal statements are the work of Sauron ad should be thrown into the Crack of Doom, as should online forms because I can't figure out what I've written and what I have left to do.

So maybe I should just send myself to Mordor, then no more worries!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #347
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Collegiate insomnia. How can it be that a group's best intentions of going to bed at 10:30 have them out until 11:00, doing homework until 12:30, talking until 1:30, and finally falling asleep just in time to catch maybe six hours of winks before breakfast and class?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #348
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Hence why I decided not to go to the frat party I was invited to last night, Fea. You should know better! The best-laid sleeping plans always go awry in regards to sleeping if you're out during college. Meanwhile, I did go to bed at 10:30. The phone call from a friend at about 1 a.m. wasn't my fault.

But I do assign general heat to Mordor. I much prefer being a little cold and having to cover myself than being hot, down to a tank top, and having nowhere to go from there. Guess it's good I'm going to college here in New England, then.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #349
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hereby send to Mordor the witch who sits at the other side of my office. She has an 'issue' with the fact that on our side we like the flourescent lighting switched off and takes delight in blatantly ignoring the names on the light switches and blasting us with evil, flickering, headache-inducing yellow light. I have therefore taken the step today of ringing the building's electrician and having the offending lights permanently switched off. *evil grin* And she has a laugh like a Warg.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #350
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Journey to Babel

Quote:
Besides, suppose a group of Mordor assignees had to hold a conversation through the mangled translation service...
Hahahaha! This brings to mind all sorts of things! Mainly the experience of the hobbits with Orcs. Pippin is surprised he can understand their speech at one point, mainly because orcs speak so many different dialects that they have to use the Common Speech when talking to each other. If only there were such a common speech in today's world... I imagine it would be either English (which thankfully I already know) or Chinese (that'd take a thousand years, although I can say "Good morning.")

All this babble about Babel--an amusing incident also comes to mind about a convention where two girls met and one spoke only Japanese and Klingon. The other English and Klingon. The two conversed in Klingon! (I think I should assign common language to the Shire, though...)

Or thanking God that all the people that worked in your graduate lab spoke English, even though they were from Japan, Korea and Africa! The postgraduate lab was populated by a Chinese man (who had an extremely good sense of humor!) and an East Indian, but they spoke English too...I was so blessed! But now I don't work in a lab...

Anyway the point to all that must have been the frustrating nature of having no common language, and yes, sometimes I wish the babble would go to Mordor!

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I often wish "political correctness" would head on off to the Shadowland, because it seems that is where it came from!

Oh yes, in parting, People who believe that they are the only important beings in the universe and who subsequently walk all over me, and the social conventions that say I must endure it with politeness.

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #351
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign to Mordor... sweat patches. So not cool.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #352
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I hereby assign college dorm parties. Yes, our girls had a crazy dance party the other night, but there was no booze, no drugs, no idiots breaking school rules. We also moved it to where it wouldn't bother anybody. The jerks in the next building over decided to go nuts last night, leaving those of us who actually care about keeping our GPA high enough to keep a firm hold on our scholarships surrounded by drunken caterwauling and random screaming.

Also, I'm going to do a pre-assignation. The pain I know I'll feel in a few hours from my first ever dance class. That goes. The class stays, on the other hand. But the dull ache that should be settling in just as I start my homework? That's got a nice spot reserved.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #353
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign my school uniform to Mordor. Since it is black, it will fit perfectly there. And I also send to Mordor the fact that there have been notebooks with pictures from LOTR on their covers but they were sold out before I could buy some, and it does not seem like they are going to bring more before school starts, which is this Monday. This is so unfair! As if there was someone in my town that liked LOTR more than me. These notebooks could have been mine, they should be mine!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #354
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I swiftly and surely assign to Mordor the Dread Backspace Button Of Doom.

It's so infuriating when, in the middle of a long response to a terribly interesting PM, the backspace button, instead of performing its deleting function, decides it would be amusing to send me back to viewing the PM. Result: Long PM lost.

Grr.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 09-09-2005 at 11:52 AM.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #355
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

School and, for that matter, anything else that keeps me from being able to play in more WW games.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #356
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The blisters that come from wearing huge boots...

And bus drills in gym class where they make you jump off the back of the bus in said huge boots.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #357
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The blisters that come from unbroken flip flops and the ones two inches below them that come from unbroken argyle flats. And the way that once you have them, you can't comfortably wear any of your shoes, broken in or not.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #358
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Biology Lab partner who looks down your blouse...*curses in numerous languages*
________
VERMONT DISPENSARY

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #359
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Also, I'm going to do a pre-assignation. The pain I know I'll feel in a few hours from my first ever dance class. That goes. The class stays, on the other hand. But the dull ache that should be settling in just as I start my homework? That's got a nice spot reserved.
The reservation has been filled. Ow. And to it, we'll add such a huge workload that one does not even know where to begin. And upon it, we'll add both of the computers that screwed up while someone (we won't mention names) was in the middle of using them yesterday.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #360
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Apologies in advance to any parents this will no doubt offend but . . .

. . . I assign the banning of the internet, especially when I need to vote on TiG! My parents know about this and yet still I wasn't allowed on for the two minutes it would have taken to write a post and submit it. Yes, yes I know I did vote yesterday, but you know how I did that? I phoned up my friend who was allowed on the computer and dictated it to her!

But my real complaint actually is that the point of being banned was so that I wouldn't be tying up the phone lines with the internet, and yet I'm allowed to be on the phone for two hours?

So actually I think I'm assigning whatever you would call that piece of logic.