The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #361
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
No Father's day is in July, I think.

Wait a moment...You aren't in the US, are you?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #362
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
No.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #363
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Well, that explains it then.

I assign my Mommy. She's cool. If y'all knew her, you'd agree.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #364
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I assign crazy freestyle adventures in Pittsburg with your brother and good friend. Coats from the Salvation Army, flurries of snow, hot coffee, a great skyline, a night spent in some bushes. Weird shaped clouds (it was in a circle and made me think of Gandalf) and a brilliant sunrise.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:57 PM   #365
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
  • my brother-in-everything-but-shared-parents (with the understanding that he will probably tease the hobbits because he's just like that)
  • and our long-overdue reunion, including everything from the hugs to the bickering to the good advice he gives as well as the bad
  • The Decemberists and Modest Mouse
  • the allure of a leather-bound book with blank pages
  • a 2-year-old German Shepherd that loves me
  • minus the dog hair that likes to accumulate on my mostly black wardrobe
  • pizza with broccoli, mushrooms, and onions
  • um... mmm? Yum. Very simple.
  • raspberry-peach snapple
  • finding somebody that really gets it
  • a cute new dress that eagerly awaits warm weather
  • ah, and Dad's reaction to it
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #366
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orominuialwen
I also second tgwbs' assignment of Latin. It's such a beautiful language and it's just wonderful to sing in. Plus, it can make even mundane things like Madison, Wisconsin seem special by turning them into Madisonenis, Wisconsinenis. (At least I think that's what it was.)
Further to this, I send learning Latin with a friend and being able to use it as a private language.

I come from a bilingual family, so I already have the use of Gujarati as a private language. One of my friends is exceptional at French and we use that as our private language on occasion. Now, I have Latin with two more of my friends.

I love private languages. The ability to connect one-to-one with no inteference in the midst of others...

Some may consider us rude, but tough luck to them. If you want to know what we're saying, go out and learn the language.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #367
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I second Mothering Sunday because not only is it a lovely and ancient festival but as Refreshment Sunday, it meant I could have a glass of wine .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #368
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign a whole PM box full of birthday greetings, a sure cure for the onset of Mordorian depression. Guarawwwwwnnnnn-TEED!

Thanks, guys. You know who you are.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:04 AM   #369
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign to the Shire, the evenings getter lighter - another thing that lifts the spirits...and discovering that the fish in the pond have survived the winter

Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #370
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign this thread - though I'm not feeling sad/bad it cheers me up.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #371
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign LMP in celebration of his birthday and his gracious assignation of a bunch of PMs that include some of the worst poetry in the history of the 'Downs. Also, his ability to write sentences without ever once using the verb "to be."

Oh, and I assign sunny days that almost chase the haunted look from eyes as dull as the recent wintery weather. And crocuses. And grapefruit juice.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #372
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I second LMP's assignment as he is the coolest Mead Hall Innkeeper there ever was, is, and shall be in the history of the verb "to be".
Old 03-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #373
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I also assign Lmp to the Shire, just because Lmp is...Lmp. And it's his birthday, so where better to have a celebration than under the Party Tree?

The first blooms on the forsythia bushes surely belong in the Shire.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #374
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think I'll third that assignation of lmp. Anyone who doesn't mind the nickname 'lumpy' has got to be a cool guy
Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #375
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Kath, I think you're fourthing it.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #376
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

So I am Jenny! Well, I support the motion at any rate
Old 03-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #377
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Gee, friends, I'm ... well .... happy. Thanks!

I assign all you hobbits to the Shire. You all belong there. Even if bunches of you spend lots of time in a certain Rohirrim Mead Hall....
Old 03-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #378
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm assigning the British Museum to the Shire because it's just one big, mad Mathom house. I've been there many times but I find something new on every visit. This time it was Dr John Dee's magical objects, including the 'Tablet of God' and his Obsidian mirror, used in magical rituals and jiggery pokery to do with alchemy. That counts as very cool indeed to me.

I'm also assigning Pre-Raphaelite art. The colours look bright in prints, but the actual paintings are incredible, particularly the blues, which are intense and moving. And they bring out the effusive art critic language in you.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #379
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign finished manuscripts. Knowing that you've got something in your possession that you're willing to send to the other side of the continent for critique is a pretty cool feeling, even if they don't end up wanting it. Knowing that the piece that's been floating around your head tormenting you but refusing to come together suddenly wrote itself with barely any help from you. *sigh* Big relief. Now to get it post-marked before the 1st.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #380
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
I assign all you hobbits to the Shire. You all belong there. Even if bunches of you spend lots of time in a certain Rohirrim Mead Hall....
How about us Halfelves or whatnot?

I assign the moments following a final exam in Calculus, knowing that even for just two weeks you'll be rid of the Mordorian curse.

Mmmmmm... *plop*
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #381
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I'm assigning the British Museum to the Shire because it's just one big, mad Mathom house.
But shall we assign the Elgin Marbles back to Greece?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #382
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
How about us Halfelves or whatnot?
Don't kid yourself. You're a hobbit through and through. And you would have been a fine werewolf if you hadn't been dreamed of the very first Night. But back to the Shire!

I assign the first bike ride of the year (it was too cold until now). Fresh breeze, feeling the wind in your face, feeling the burn after only 20 seconds (because you didn't exercise properly all winter ) and liking it. Good stuff.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #383
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I'll assign parents evenings. It's just an hour of constant praise!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #384
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign catching yourself smiling after having almost forgotten what a genuine smile felt like. A toast to spring and to new beginnings! We'll raise our crystal glasses to the shining new sun and laugh in delight over the refracted rainbows. We'll sip our grape juice and dance 'round the new blossoms, enjoying the green smell of the breeze and the open expanse of blue above us. To spring!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #385
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
A toast to spring and to new beginnings! We'll raise our crystal glasses to the shining new sun and laugh in delight over the refracted rainbows. We'll sip our grape juice and dance 'round the new blossoms, enjoying the green smell of the breeze and the open expanse of blue above us. To spring!
Well said.

And I'd like to assign to the Shire... this extremely tired but accomplished feeling. So I did not sleep last night, but my essay is done and finished and eventually quite brilliant, too. I shall never, ever put things off till the last moment again.

No really. *yawns*
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #386
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Polish 20 Questions. (I'm not sure why it's Polish, but okay.) It's just the same as regular 20 Questions except that everybody gets a little card with their answer on it and sticks it on their forehead and has to guess what their own says. Now there's a fun game - you get some really funny results, especially when people start getting out to get each other...

I missed LMP's birthday? Happy belated.

And I definitely agree with everything you all have said about the Mead Hall... Putting it here is superb. I get both my adopted cultures all rolled into one. (How to decide between the two??)

And yes, definitely agree with the nominations of Latin. Even if the Latin club at my school is called a cult, and they think we're all rather strange. Why would they think that??
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #387
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign the first day that it's nice enough to wear a spring jacket outside, instead of your huge winter one.( Fellow canadians will know what I mean.)
Old 03-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #388
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Brit's will know what you mean as well Valier! Though of course, we have to carry a raincoat too as our weather changes every few hours, or every few minutes sometimes

But no, it was actually warm today. Very nice.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #389
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

So do folks in the Northeast US, Valier.

The momentous spring coat day took place on March 28.

I'll assign daffodils. They haven't opened yet at my house, but they've pushed above the ground in the flower beds. Can't wait for them to bloom. I should take pics.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #390
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well I guess I will just assign the first day of the year you get to wear your spring jacket, For everyone! It's just so nice.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #391
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I assign my first winter ever accomplished without touching my winter coat. Which is really good considering I somehow got paint all over it LAST winter.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:14 AM   #392
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

I think I'll stick with the general spring theme here and assign Robins. You know when you see one of them, Spring has definately sprung!! Whooo hoooo
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 AM   #393
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Fog. I herewith assign fog the Shire.

Now, I do realise that fog is definitely a driving and navigating hazard, as well as a rather gloomy form of weather, but it is also incredibly iconic. Not to mention, for a prairie boy like me, it's not exactly common weather. The chill of walking home in the fog at night is deliciously primordial- and very Barrow-downsy. Excellent atmosphere for story-dreaming.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 AM   #394
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
I think I'll stick with the general spring theme here and assign Robins. You know when you see one of them, Spring has definately sprung!!
A few years I would have agreed with you, but now my city seems to have acquired a flock of really stupid robins that stick around all winter, even when it gets close to 0 degrees... So they're not much of a teller for spring anymore. But they are delightful birds. So are cardinals. And gold finches.

Spring break is also definitely Shire-worthy.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #395
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Watching the first darkroom photography slowly fill before your eyes through manic refreshes on the registrar's webpage. Knowing that there was one seat open... and seeing it get filled. Spotting three seats left in the night course... watching one get taken. Seeing your friend take the other. Knowing that there is one photography seat open in the entire school and knowing that the professor won't sign you in, because you already tried that route. Expecting to be fruitlessly wait-listed.

Waking up to register and spotting that one seat still miraculously open...

And going to the registrar's about 40 minutes early to be first in line (though you ended up second, but behind a business major, so it's okay). And actually getting into the photography class!

Getting into the only class that you actually really wanted to take in an Eru-forsaken school that you can't wait to leave is Shire-worthy to the highest degree.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #396
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Have I mentioned Spring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
A toast to spring and to new beginnings!
Hear, hear!
Old 04-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #397
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Moonlighting episode, Atomic Shakespeare, which I watched on DVD last night. Such fun.

I'm not sure the Hobbiton worthies would appreciate it, mind, although I think some of the Tooks would like it (particularly the uncle who ran away to sea...)
Old 04-03-2006, 03:16 AM   #398
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Glorious eleven or so hours of sleep.

Waking up with the sunshine and a smile on your face.

Having an hour or so to spend being silent, thinking, reflecting, and reading - things you haven't consistently done for several months.

Summer break's definitely Shire-worthy. (Although it makes me feel as if I'm in a completely different world from all of you... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
Don't kid yourself. You're a hobbit through and through. And you would have been a fine werewolf if you hadn't been dreamed of the very first Night.
Can I send you to the Shire again?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #399
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Cutting the grass for the first time - because despite the vast amount to raking up to be done it means Spring is here ... and it smells really nice.

Mith (wearing a spring jacket for the first time)

Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #400
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Looking at the outside temperature last night at about 10:30 PM and seeing the number 75 with disbelief. Going outside and confirming that it is, indeed, 75 degrees Fahrenheit and kind of balmy, in the dark, in the middle of the night, on April 2.

\/\/00t