The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #161
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
I assign getting offers at universities after you've been nervously biting your nails for nearly 2 weeks and have just been wondering if no one wants you! Also, getting the offer from the one place you really want to go to!
*gulp* I am still waiting for mine... It isnt a good feeling, I know ...

Perhaps I would assign something simple, yet brilliant... Like taking part in sports(and winning)....
Old 12-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #162
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the simple de-stressors of college life: knowing that you've got at least one less thing to do on your monumentally huge list of all the assignments that have to be completed within the next week.

Francis Bacon was Shakespeare? Who cares. But is my class going to think so by the time I'm done with them? Heck yes. If I can get you lot to trust me when I'm a werewolf, just think of what I can do to a bunch of exhausted 18-year-olds at 8:30 on a Saturday morning.

My strawberry smoothie being thawed enough to drink.

Not doing so well on a psych test... but being able to counter it by having gotten a 90 on the last "homework" (homeworks in this class are huge project assignments given a fraudulently simplistic name to make them sound less scary).

Getting a half dozen encouraging messages before you truge off to take that scary psych test.

Watching snow fall past softly illuminating streetlights on a calm night.

Finishing a tough art project and knowing that the look on your friend's face when she receives it the last day before Christmas break is going to be priceless.

Knowing that you've only got 15 days before you'll be home again.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #163
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
"Real" mail is definitely Shire-ish, even in these days of instant phone and internet communication. There's nothing like getting unexpected mail, and when that is a package, and when that package unwraps to reveal a "Shrek" advent calendar - well, that just made my day!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #164
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Going out in the morning while it is still dark and finding out that you are the first person to leave footprints in last night's snow. It feels as if you are in a new world and you are the first person to see it.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #165
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
The days when you have no homework. I can't wait for thos days to begin. One week, then exams and then...NO HOMEWORK!!!!!!FREEDOM!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #166
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Unexpected brightenings of long days. When you are forced by your conscience to attend an acedemic winter banquet where you are seated with a professor that you don't really know... and he turns out to be pretty cool. When you decline the turkey and nobody questions it. When you stop a server and request a small cup of tea and she brings you the most adorable one-serving teapot along with cream and sugar. When the professor whose class you skipped the same day is seated at the next table over and doesn't see you. When you get back to your room, start working on homework again... and finish before 1:00 AM. Knowing that the third draft of your term paper is due in the morning and that it's finished, it's a really good paper, and you weren't even too bored rewriting it for the third time because you had a friend helping you find what needed to be fixed. The way she adopted my style of marking mistakes in bolded red font so that it's easy to find and explaining the mistake in hilarious terms.

Fun words like ballerino (what do you call a boy dancer?) and Hamlet (a baby pig?) that keep you really amused in the wee hours of the morning.

Knowing that in two weeks, you're going to be home, and that you can shorten that to 13 days if you can convince your big brother to drive down and get you a day early.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:47 AM   #167
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Incredibly amusing PMs, especially knowing that the sender/s spent some time writing them.

Maybe I could send the sender/s to the Shire as well.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:16 AM   #168
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Incredibly amusing PMs, especially knowing that the sender/s spent some time writing them.

Maybe I could send the sender/s to the Shire as well.
Ooh, that could be a whole new kind of fun, if you know what I mean (coughassignedtotheShirerpgcough) and you can bet Pio would have a fit.

disclaimer: not serious about this one... sorry.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:58 AM   #169
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Ooh, that could be a whole new kind of fun, if you know what I mean (coughassignedtotheShirerpgcough) and you can bet Pio would have a fit.

disclaimer: not serious about this one... sorry.
Assigned to the Shire RPG, eh?

That's an interesting idea, although I doubt many would share my opinion. Apparently most people find it easier to send things to Mordor than to the Shire...

That tells me the RPG probably won't have enough to go on.

To be on topic, I assign lazy, I-have-nothing-much-to-do afternoons - even though one actually has an Archaeology quiz, an entire epic on the land of Troy, and a Greek tragedy with a woman's name as a title to worry about.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #170
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign those qualities in me that make it so incredibly easy to procrastinate. You see, why would I stop when I'm able to ace projects last minute? I wrote a paper last night... fifteen pages. For Psych. One inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman, with absolutely no toying with character spacing or making the line spacing a discreet 2.2 instead of just double. It's straight writing. If I can do that in one afternoon and still get around six hours of sleep that night... I'm somewhat proud of myself. I'd have been more proud if I'd done the assignment a month ago, but that's something for Mordor, and I'm assigning my good and useful abilities, not my absent-minded lack of enthusiasm for connecting what we've learned all term to my life.

I also assign plot twists, anakronisms, and the phantom because he's able to amuse me in the wee hours of the morning when I'm stressed out, exhausted, and just discovered a hilarious PM about emo-MEN.

EDIT: I also assign what it feels like to be on your way to Psych and to be stopped about half-way there by a half dozen classmates saying that class has been cancelled!

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 12-05-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #171
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
EDIT: I also assign what it feels like to be on your way to Psych and to be stopped about half-way there by a half dozen classmates saying that class has been cancelled!
In line with that, I assign to the Shire seeing a post on the door of your Archaeology lecture room that says class has been cancelled, and your quiz on Philippine geography - which you have not studied for despite your great need to - has been moved to the end of the week!

And I assign to the Shire the wonderful weather we're having here. It's cool, cloudy, a bit windy, and barely sunny. It almost makes one believe that Christmas break has begun, even if it's still a week away. It's perfect...as long as it doesn't start raining.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #172
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Neighbors who plow your street when it snows, even when the dumb city won't. I don't even know who it was, but I saw someone in a truck that definitely did not belong to the city with a plow on it the other day, and lo and behold, when I got home they had plowed my street! Generous people are wonderful.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:34 AM   #173
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

My Chem lab instructor, for giving back my quiz paper with TWO smilies written on it. One said "Yay! " to congratulate me on my success in balancing a particularly difficult chemical equation. The other said "Ngek! " pertaining to the joke I gave as an answer to the bonus question.

The smilies had me scared a bit, but mostly they made me laugh.

Oh, and I assign redox reactions. They are just sooo fun.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #174
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign walking out of a History final, knowing that you pwned the essay question that counted for 50% of the test (no exageration) and professors that encourage debate, discussion, and the expression of your opinion to the point that you can declare that you hate the subject (Business) and think it's the most boring thing in the world, but the class was fun all the same.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #175
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Whipped cream, chocolate mousse, and garlic bread. However, under no circumstances should garlic bread be combined with the previous two!

The way it gets all quiet when it snows. All you can hear is your footsteps, your own breathing, and snowflakes landing in your hair. Even when cars pass by, they hardly make a sound.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #176
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Being excited about writing a paper.

Sending a long letter to your grandma, who will then go and show it to all of her "geezer friends". (Her words, not mine )

Snow falling outside my window, nearly blending into the metal sky beyond.

Only having two more classes of Chinese left!

The quiet anticipation after getting the glorious, creased, blue package slip in your PO that proudly proclaims, "SECOND NAME ON BOX", meaning someone somewhere loves you.

Picking out the perfect gift for a whole 3 people on your list!

Smelling the real Christmas tree my friends decided to put up in their dorm room.

The relative calm restored after the insanity of Christmas Fest (too many old people in Norwegian sweaters).

Excitement over next semester's classes.

Watching my roommate get excited about getting up early on Saturday morning to eat breakfast with Santa in the cafeteria.

The Christmas postcards my roommate's mom's Sunday School class sent to her (especially the ones who don't know how to write!).

Knowing you still have an hour before facing the frigidness of the front desk.

Taking a much-needed nap on the window-seat.

Stupid puns in the middle of long classes.

The candlelight services on Christmas eve when we sing Silent Night a capella with all the sanctuary lights dimmed and our candles glowing. Even our top school choir can't beat that heavenly sound.

Feeling connected to an entire gymnasium full of people during the Christmas Fest choral concert, and getting to sing, even though you aren't in choir for a reason!

Tomato soup and Swiss cheese.

Long discussions about moving to France or South America with friends and raising sheep or llamas, even if only in jest.

Being told by one of your professors that Socrates would like you.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #177
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Stupid puns. And the people who hate them.

The synths in The Deftones' "Change (In The House of Flies)" and lostprophet's "Sway".

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #178
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lets see...

The Trans-Siberian Orgestra! Lazer shows. Wicked solos. Rocking out to the wonderful music of Christmas Carols.

Wonderful nights out with friends, celebrating a surpise birthday party.

OOOO! and Saturday mornings off from work! and sleeping in till 10:30!

oh oh! and knowing that Chritmas break (aka, skiing in West Virginia) is only three days away!

Last edited by Eonwe; 12-10-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 AM   #179
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The feeling of completion that comes from finishing your first semester of college life. After a few nights thinking "How am I ever going to manage this?", knowing that you've got at least a few As heading for you and knowing that even if you bomb Psych, you still did your best and couldn't possibly have tried harder. It's a good feeling to know that you tried your hardest, even if you don't succeed because it means so much more to you than success with minimal effort.

I also assign small smiles. Not spontaneous ones, though they too are welcome, but the small, hesitating smiles that come from glimpsing something that truly makes you happy. Those smiles are what make me grin.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 AM   #180
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

I know I've conassigned ammonia to Mordor, but that's just specifically 1.0 M ammonia. I assign ammonia in smaller concentrations to the Shire. Only when I've almost fainted myself did I realize how helpful the chemical can be. It still smells a bit Mordor-ish, though.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #181
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Getting your wallet back, with all your cash and cards.

(look in the mordor thread)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #182
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf Small joys...

The fact that my dorm is really bad at this whole quiet hours idea. However, I do live in the "smart" dorm, so it can't get much quieter than usual. But no one freaks out if you talk loudly in the hallway in the afternoon.

I also want to send taking a study break to go see the Chronicles of Narnia with a group of people you don't know very well or haven't really talked to in about two months and having a good time anyway. Oh, and the Late Night Breakfast at the caf last night...and being served by the residence life staff.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #183
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Four hours of staying in a bookstore where you can read, cover-to-cover, whatever book you like.

Of course there's no harm having more hours to spare.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #184
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

This will probably be seen as heresy by some here, but I hereby assign Peter Jackson to the Shire.

Despite his recent astonishing weight loss, he is still a Hobbit in my mind.

And not content with giving me three of the best film experiences of my life, he has now gone a step further and given me a fourth. His re-make of King Kong is awesome!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #185
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Finishing work for Christmas. It doesn't get much better than that!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #186
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Working to save somebody else some time or energy, and knowing how much they'll appreciate it. The kittens are going nuts today.

Philosophising with people you not only like, but also respect, and the feeling of awe that it might, just might, be mutual.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #187
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Coming back home after a fun expedition, with Jacques Brel running through your head, to see the moon so large, bright and yellow that you momentarily mistake it for the sun. And then watching the clouds dance across it and doing nothing but staring. Apparently, it wont be brighter for another 25 years.

My first experience with Old French. Beautiful.

Reading books more than 50 years old. You really start to appreciate the English language, its complexity and beauty and the panaply of words to discover. The sad feeling that books seem to be dumbed down these days may belong to Mordor, but the nostalgia of old books definitely goes to the Shire.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #188
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign that danish tv channals assosiate LOTR with christmas!

Tomorrow evening they are sending TFOTR and the day after TTT, next year they will probably include ROTK.

I can allso remember that some years ago they send that animatet/normal film around christmas.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:51 AM   #189
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I assign vacations without knowing all your final marks and therefore not worrying about them!!! I can't start calculating my GPA and such things right now so I'm in heaven.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #190
Parmawen
Haunting Spirit

Parmawen has just left Hobbiton.
Organic salad (the kind that sometimes has bugs in it)
Peeling potatoes
Really red tomatoes
...(the shire makes me think of food, either that or I'm hungry.)

that and Furry feet of course!
Parmawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #191
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Snow.

I don't know why either. There's just something about semi-frozen water precipitating that just makes me oddly happy. Everything looks so pristine and fresh.

Of course, I am warm, indoors, and not desirous of travelling.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #192
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Christmas lights. Whether you're driving by houses that are all lit up at night, or you turn off all the other lights in the room to look at your Christmas tree, they're just so beautiful.

Homemade eggnog. It's delicious!

Going back to a piece of music that you previously couldn't play at all and finding that it's easy for you now because you've become so much better at the instrument.

Gigantic icicles.

Scarves.

Christmas carols.

The feeling you get when you've just pulled off a really difficult piece of music and you know your choir did a good job.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #193
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

People are just alot better at moaning maybe. Why else has the News, a whole programme devoted mainly to bad news, has lasted so long?

Quote:
I am going to stop now since I can hear the Elgar Cello Concerto playing.......
As a cellist, I must here interrupt you, Mithalwen - you every tried playing that?! 'Tis pain to the fingers, nay, to the whole arm! Lol, however, Elgar would certainly be there - some of his short pieces such as 'Serenade' and 'The Shower', as well, of course, as a few of the Nimrod variations: may I suggest Nimrod, written as it was as a tribute to a loyal, lasting friend, (Jager, Elgar's published) and therefore very suitable to the little folk of the Shire and the stoicism and loyalty they are so marked for; Romanza, for the more amourous of tweenies - an ode to the courtship of Rosie and Sam maybe!; and maybe the 11th variation, 'G.R.S', for it's mischief, so portrayed in characters such as Merry and Pippin.

Yeah, I like Elgar.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #194
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Alas I am not so gifted ... if time and motivation allows one day I would love to learn (I did violin but apparently I am temperamentally more suited to the cello ) - and people always assume I can play because of a passing resemblance (when a little younger) to a young Jacqueline du Pre .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM   #195
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Alas I am not so gifted ... if time and motivation allows one day I would love to learn (I did violin but apparently I am temperamentally more suited to the cello ) - and people always assume I can play because of a passing resemblance (when a little younger) to a young Jacqueline du Pre .....
Lol, what an assumption! I have several recordings of her playing on my computer actually - actually, if you watch my sister and I while listening to the faster passages, you may witness an incredible phenomenum...as we actually turn a mild shade of green with envy!

I also assign raspberry jam. Terribly important to get your toast just right.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #196
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well yes but strangely true..... just shows how appearance can be deceptive... but The Barbirolli version goes to the Shire even though it will remind me of sitting on the music room steps and crying my heart out the day she died. to keep it company I will send Yo-Yo Ma's Vivaldi disc...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #197
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I second TGWBS's assignation of snow! Woke up this morning to find the whole of Faversham covered in a white blanket. Half an hour later we were down in the park with sledges.

Also getting back from said sledging absolutely soaked in mud because you acidentally fell off the sledge half way down the hill and getting into a nice warm bath.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #198
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the complete score of FOTR to the Shire. I love that music, it is great and I can't wait for TTT and ROTK.

I also assign the moment you learned you did much better at a course then you thought you did. I did much better with my philosophy(Logic) course thean I thought and that makes me happy!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:13 PM   #199
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
All good things that brighten up a dark period. As for example:

- Getting drunk on Belgian Chocolates.
- Ice-skating on the Dam.
- Christmas shopping when you have no money to spend.
- Baking cookies and chocolate cake and watching silly romantic movies in soft pink pajamas.
- White wine and Christmas tree decorations.
- Winning the Risk game three times in a row while pretending to be completely indifferent and clueless (it drives people mad, seriously.)
- Friends who will never let you forget high school.
- Dressing up all your six Harrods Christmas bears.
- Building a tree house with your little sisters.
- After seeing The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for the second time, looking for Narnia in the big scary closet in the attic and only finding enormous spiders (the spiders going to Mordor, of course, the hilarity that ensued to the Shire).
- Watching Animal Planet after midnight while your friends give all the animals scary voice-overs with a distinctive German accent.

And most of all: my city in winter time. Especially when it has just snowed and there’s a thin silver blanket covering the canal side houses, the church and ancient library and the air is crispy clean and clear and you are suddenly convinced there is not a city in the world more beautiful than your own. I am normally not so patriotic, but I guess it is just Christmas sentiments.

Wow, that became rather more extended than I had in mind.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #200
Eluchíl
Animated Skeleton

Eluchíl has just left Hobbiton.
Being carefree, jolly...mildly hedonistic.

Sort of like summer picnics, where everything is temperate and lush and the people just want to be in the moment with friends and comfort. I think that's what the Shire and Hobbits endeavor for all the time, even if it doesn't always work out that way. But then, when does it?
Eluchíl is offline   Reply With Quote