The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #281
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign frozen Dr. Pepper. When the shards of tingling ice melt on your tongue, it's the most fantastic sensation.

And I assign the warm sun on chilly days, with the gleam of light off of half-frozen ponds. Look-out views where you can see three states from one perch and the way the lazy clouds unconcernedly blanket the mountains you are photographing. The bright afternoon sun blazing through ragged branches, the sound of birdsong.

Cold water in the middle of the night when you wake up parched. Books that you simply can't set down. Wiggly puppies and affectionate sarcasm. Really good pizza... with broccoli, sun-dried tomatos, onions, and mushrooms, and sprinkled with a bit of hot sauce.

And Lal... Marmite! But only if you eat it the right way.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #282
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Lovely, amazing, wonderful people who encourage you to start writing again after so many many months.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 AM   #283
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Four extra hours of uninterrupted sleep - thanks to classes in all levels being suspended - and upon waking up and looking at the mirror, seeing a face that looks less stressed and haggard than the day before.

The reason for the suspension of classes does not at all belong to the Shire, though. I would pity poor Sam if it does.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #284
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The following conversation gets assigned to the Shire:

My supervisor was talking about the Monty Python skit in which the traumatized fellow can't say any word with the letter 'c' in it, so he says "bolourful" until someone says "well, usk 'k'" in stead. "Kolorful", he says, and then his eyes "Why, I never thought of that!"

So I brought up Victor Borg's "inflationary English" in which all incidents of numbers in the English language are raised by one number. Thus, to, two, and too become three; and fortuitious becomes five-three-itous. Then I said that I would have to try that out in my current werewolf game.

My supervisor said, "And they'll assign you to Mordor!"
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #285
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
no kidding??

Well I assign my puppy dog. And anyone who feels this should be explained is hereby ordered to go and adopt a puppy dog from his or her neighborhood shelter.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #286
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Reading a book and finding a BDer siggy or former siggy in it. It's wonderful.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #287
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign uses of LotR references in every day life.

For example, my church has a two story 'split level' addition so that the lower level is not as low as the rest of the basement, but below everything else. It's been nicknamed "middle earth".
Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #288
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
The Westminster dog show. Actually, the AKC in general. Or how about all dogs...I just spent five hours of my life curled up alone in my room, watching dogs parade around Madison Square Garden, and I cried. I want to do that! I want to devote the rest of my life to bettering a breed, to bettering the species!

Eleventy-one pop-ups blocked! That has to mean something, right?

Last edited by Laitoste; 02-26-2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: one more thing...
Laitoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #289
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

littlemanpoet, because he has always wanted to go there.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #290
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Glorious, first of spring weather in Oregon . . . time for mushroom hunting and a trip to the hot springs
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #291
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
littlemanpoet, because he has always wanted to go there.
Well gee thanks. Golly gee whizzers even! ....such lingual promiscuity should of course not accompany me to the Shire. See you all there! **LMP hops, skips and jumps in the general direction of all homey, comfortable, provincial and stolid things.**
Old 03-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #292
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Snow!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #293
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Particularly the type of snow that thinks it's sand. I've only seen it once, earlier this week. Particles of snow blowing around in waves like a desert... it was beautiful.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #294
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

It sounds lovely. My particular variety (falling steadily from very early this morning until now) is that sort with the large snowflakes that coat everything they touch with a shimmering blanket. The kind that decorates pine boughs until the wind shakes it off when you least expect it to fall on you. The sort that fills in paths as quickly as they're plowed and the sort that you really don't want to drive in.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #295
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

*pouts in envy*

Well, the Shire deserves a fine sunny-windy day like *this*, too.

So long as it doesn't rain.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #296
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Snow. Tch. It spoiled my tea tonight.

No sooner had I sat down in the best Mexican/Cuban/Argentinian place in town and ordered my Chimichangas (drool) but without any prior warning in the way of a decent weather forecast, the skies opened and literally dumped several inches of snow on the city centre inside half an hour. My feet are still freezing.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:48 PM   #297
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

all assignations italicized

I assign Rivendell Books in Montpelier, VT. Cute new/used bookstores of all sorts deserve assignation, but specifically this because I was so enthused at its name and the fact that I bought several books for a fantastic price shortly after consuming some really amazing Ben & Jerry's, some fantastic apple cider, and more habanero cheese than strictly necessary.

I also assign habanero maple syrup. The sensation is incredible. A taste and your mouth is filled with the sweet explosion of sugary bliss and most suddenly, there's a second explosion of heat. As you continue to taste the wonderful mapley goodness, your eyes water, your tongue burns, and you can't help but be impressed with how cool it is that they managed to mix hot peppers and syrup in the middle of Vermont and make some really awesome stuff.

I'm going to temporarily unassign snow though... run over to Mordor if you're curious why.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #298
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Were you eating ice cream, cider, habenero cheese and maple syrup all at the same time?

I'm afraid that gets an ick from me...

But I must assign to the shire days you get to work and are told not to work...simply lovely. It will probably be assigned to Mordor as boredom sets in later.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #299
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Were you eating ice cream, cider, habenero cheese and maple syrup all at the same time?
Spread out over a few hours. That syrup was really cool though. Seriously... it was like downing a few dozen hot chicken wings with no bread, only at the same time, the mouth-watering sweetness of maple sugar candies.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #300
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Whew...I feel much better, then.

I assign...free stuff from vendors. Really. I work on a military base, and this lady came in today and gave everybody knives. Including your friendly neighborhood secretary, yours truly. So now I have this little free utility knife that is MINE and that a certain person I am sworn to follow around for the rest of my life can't touch and lose it, or worse, break the tip off using it as a screwdriver or something.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #301
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign days off (even those when someone from your agency interrupts your lie in slumber with a query that could have waited at least to 9.30 - they have found me a nice project for next week so I forgive..) and long lunches, and catching up with old friends and defrosting in a Turkish Bath from the unseasonally chilly weather....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #302
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

songs of travel and adventure.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #303
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Knowing you don't have to got to school tomorrow! And so knowing that you'll get to lie in til 10 (not long enough but hey it's something). Also having the reason for this being a visit to the uni you're sure you want to go to, and knowing you're going to have a good day.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #304
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In a similar vien, spring break. And sleeping...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #305
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Some long-overdue assignments

Snow days. Especially when it's the first one in five years and long overdue.

Entering a French pronunciation contest and doing well in it. It's wonderful to have teachers compliment you on your accent!

Spring break being only two days away.

Getting nearly nine hours of sleep on a school night, even if it means not finishing any of your homework.

Teachers who write their hall passes in pencil, and being able to successfully forge a pass because of this by erasing everything but the signature. (Don't worry, it was only so my friend and I could go see a teacher during lunch when we weren't supposed to be in the halls. We weren't doing anything terribly illegal. )
Old 03-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #306
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fog delays. You don't have to make up school days at the end of the year, but it basically turns that day into a blow off day where the only full periods are the ones that are during lunch hours - and one of mine was a study hall. Study halls are quite nice too. Half the time all I do is read.

Cake or ice cream for breakfast. Yum. And you don't feel too bad because it's just breakfast and any breakfast must be better than the none that is oh-so frequent.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #307
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign late night discussions where you just can't remember what an elephant sounds like. So you make the noises, trying to remember. For over ten minutes.

I assign cute skirts with awesome spin-power.

I assign discovering a class that you really want to take.... and e-mailing the professor that's teaching it to find out your likelihood of getting in since it's a sweet class and is going to fill up fast and you're only a freshman so you're registering pretty much last... and running into her when you go for dinner... and having her guarantee you a place! And I quote... "Your chances of getting in? Of course you're getting in. I want you in this class." Exciting!
Old 03-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #308
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

That sounds really cool...

I assign Segways. Yes, the IT invention...a perfectly balanced little platform and a handle. I got to play with one last night...and it was nifty. You just kind of think of where you want to go, and you get there. And my husband couldn't figure out how to stand still, which made me feel all superior for a while
Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #309
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Candy floss. Especially free tubs of it.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #310
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Learning that violence really does solve all of life's little problems. My heater is totally silent right now.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #311
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The first sounds of crickets! Immpending Spring! Warm weather! Soft rain! Yes, all of these certainly belong in the Shire.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #312
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Emissary from Mordor arrives with a new Shire resident...

I hereby assign Mardil II, formerly of Gondor, formerly of Mordor, to the Shire for acts of heroism and being a generally good egg.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #313
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
I hereby assign Mardil II, formerly of Gondor, formerly of Mordor, to the Shire for acts of heroism and being a generally good egg.
Why thank you, m'lady. The free peoples of Middle Earth are forever in debt to you.
Quote:
I assign frozen Dr. Pepper.
Oh, Fea, you are too awesome.

I read that as I was drinking half frozen Dr. Pepper. It is so amazing. When I want a Dr. Pepper, I stick a can and a mug into the freezer for a good while. When I go to drink it, the mug is all frosty, and the fizz freezes as I fill the mug up, and the frozen fizz floats around like crushed ice.

There's something about it being just barely barely above frozen that gives it more of a bite, and not just the bite of the cold. It improves the flavor, I swear.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:56 AM   #314
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Oh, Fea, you are too awesome.
I know.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #315
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Cramming, but with the knowledge that everything's under control. It feels so...liberating.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:58 AM   #316
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Cramming, but with the knowledge that everything's under control. It feels so...liberating.
Or the feeling of elation you get after you see you got a good mark in that exam you had crammed desperately for and weren't too sure of what your mark would look like
Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #317
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Discovering that you got good marks in all your exams, especially the ones that you thought you'd done really badly in.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #318
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

A day at the beach with family and friends....then later on after dark starting a fire and roasting marshmallows!
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #319
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Made so much better by having been a fool and staying out until 4:00 AM only to get up for work the next morning, the Shire-worthiness is the pair of pyjama pants and amazingly large and comfortable hoodie that you get to put on once you get back. The uninterrupted nap that's on its way. Knowing that you don't have to go back out until tomorrow. Ooh... exciting.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #320
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I assign the etherial quality of fog. Walking slowly and alone through an abandoned campus in the soft silence of the night, pausing in awe of the way the light catches on the opaque air, separating into distinct beams by the sillhouetted trees. The soft smell of thawing earth and the warmth of the damp air. The way it all seems so unreal.