The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2002, 09:42 AM   #41
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Kewl! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I did not know that. I learned something new today.
I'm not very familiar with Celtic/Welsh mythology so maybe I'll read it sometime.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:58 AM   #42
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Quote:
I have all three of those books, Book of Atrus, Book of Ti'ana, and the Book of D'ni. Very cool, and cool looking (especially the hard covers) books
I love those books! Dinotopia are great books too, and Star Wars(but there are so many of them I couldn't buy them all) Another trilogy of books I like is by Philip Pullman. They're called The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Ahhhh so many excellent books , so little time.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:43 PM   #43
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Little time, Elvenglass? I have to confess that I bought the first two of Philip Pullman's trilogy the other day and I read both of them in 48 hours. I used to be like that with the Star Wars books as well, I've banned myself from butying anymore until i leave uni as i'd just go straight through my loan!
Also, i have to say it - really sorry those of you who look down on it [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] - I DO like harry potter and I read that really fast as well - book 4 took me 5 hours (nonstop) i think.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:34 PM   #44
Perethil
Pile O'Bones

Perethil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I am a gigantic Terry Pratchett fan...
absolutely hooked on all Discworld stuff, and i suggest that everyone at least read one and check it out. some LOTR refrences too...
Perethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 05:16 PM   #45
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

NotHomeYet and Perethil, welcome to the 'Downs!

Quote:
*Frodo and Sam walking across a feild*
*Sam stops*
*Frodo turns* "Sam, what's the matter? "
*Sam* "If I take another step, I'll be farther from home than I've ever been."
(Yeah, probably just another movie moment, but I liked it.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:05 PM   #46
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Eh... I picked up "The Golden Compass" and got as far as chapter four before I got sick of it. I'm not a big Pullman fan but I figured I'd at least give these books a try before I judged them. I've gotten very particular about what I read lately.

C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" kicks! I'm going to get myself a copy as soon as I can! (I'm reading one from the library right now.)
Old 02-02-2002, 11:10 PM   #47
River Jordan
Animated Skeleton

River Jordan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, just thought of another book I really enjoyed - The Neverending Story by Michael Ende! Wonderful fantasy! There are 3 movies that have been made based on the book - the first two following the book, and then the third one taking considerable license and just using the characters, world, etc. The book is great - anyone else read it??

"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes." Frodo Baggins

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/YMF
River Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 03:27 AM   #48
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Pullman's "His Dark Materials" Trilogy but my enjoyment of them is somewhat decreased by the fact that in interviews with the author he has always seemed to be quite arrogant.

I love Discworld too, Perethil! The Tolkien reference is in Witches Abroad, isn't it? I can't think of anymore at the moment.

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Fenrir ]
Old 02-03-2002, 10:13 PM   #49
Ara'rial
Pile O'Bones

Ara'rial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ara'rial
Sting

'The Golden Compass' series is good. 'Everworld' is good too, but I only got up to book three. 'Night World' is the best, if you like romance and horror that is.
And back again...
Ara'rial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 12:55 AM   #50
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Okay, probley all of these have been mentioned before, but I don't care, im gonna mention them anyway [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
These are some of the books that I have read in the past and have absolutely loved!

By Anne Rice:
Interview with a Vampire
The Vampire Lestat
(actually it seems that as I was reading through the posts on this topic, nobody has mentioned these or anything else by Anne Rice....)

By Philip Pullman:
The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

All four Harry Potter books(yes, i know, shame on me...)

Books I actually haven't read and are sitting on my bookshelf getting dusty which I know I should read and will read in due time:

By Lloyd Alexander:
The Book of Three
(my friend suggested reading this and has been pestering me to read it for a month now, but iv been to busy with other things)

By C. S. Lewis:
The Chronicles of Narnia
(I got this during christmas and actually have seen the movie that The Lion the Witch and the Wardrob had been made into, so now I really want to read The Chronicles of Narnia)

Ummmm... iv probley read more, I just can't remember at the momment.
Also I read in one of the posts that The Last Unicorn is beingmade into a live action movie?? Wow... iv seen the 1984 cartoon version and LOVED it..
Also I am proud to say that I am a loyal Star Trek fan (I just had to put that in... sorry [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

If you think that you have a book that you want to mention and that you think I would like, go ahead and mention it.. I am always open to more book reading suggestions.

PS- sorry i wrote so much... i think i got carried away [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2002, 01:53 AM   #51
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Quote:
By Lloyd Alexander:
The Book of Three
(my friend suggested reading this and has been pestering me to read it for a month now, but iv been to busy with other things)
Well, I don't know you well enough to truely recommend anything, but you're friend's right about "The Book of Three": read it! Read it now! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And after you read it, get "The Black Cauldron" and read that! Then, read "The Castle of Llyr", "Taran Wanderer" and "The High King". And, if you find that that wasn't enough Prydain for ya', try "The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain"! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey, does anyone else think that Schmendrik from "The Last Unicorn" cartoon looks a bit like the Hobbits from the hobbit cartoons? Anyone know if the same people made the cartoons?
Old 02-04-2002, 01:38 PM   #52
ElanorG

Sting

I think I may have metioned this on one of these threads, but The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake is very interesting - very surreal, lots of elaborate description. It was writen in the 40s I believe. I've only read the first one. The rise and fall of the mightly castle Gormenghast and its inhabitants and its dysfunctional royal family. Sort of odd but addictive in way. There was a recent adaptation of it on British TV that starred (I think?) Bill Boyd. They showed it on PBS in the States.

EG
Old 02-04-2002, 01:41 PM   #53
ElanorG

Sting

Oh, and I just noticed that Birdland rec'd Gormenghast too!
Old 02-06-2002, 01:03 PM   #54
Telgaladiel
Pile O'Bones

Telgaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telgaladiel
Silmaril

Ooh...
I've just restarted Pawn of Prophecy by David and Leigh Eddings. Actually, Eddings is the one who turned me onto fantasy and later -due to his praise- (with the help of a certain movie also) Tolkien.

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I cannot get enough of that book. Ever.

I happen to really like Pern, especially DragonsDawn, Moreta, and Dragon Flight.

Also,atm, for school, I am reading Hemingway and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof...oooh lord! what a wonderful play! Just finished Miss Julie which is also excellent.

Got to get to work... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

"I don't think so."
Telgaladiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:52 PM   #55
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

The Elegant Universe, USA Today. Although neither are fantasy and USA Today isn't a book, I find them more enjoyable than most fantasy out there.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 05:32 PM   #56
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

It's been many years now, but I remember greatly enjoying Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books. More of a blend of historical fiction and fantasy than most.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:33 PM   #57
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

'HIS DARK MATERIALS' is a must, and I've just learned that it is being made into a movie. I also like (you probably hate to hear this) 'HARRY POTTER'. I've read 'NARNIA' which is exelent. I am at this time reading 'THE CHRONINICLES OF CHRESTOMANCI' this is very good especially the story about Christoper Chant. You can also try 'ARTEMIS FOWL.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:52 AM   #58
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've just started this message board for fans of Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" Sequence. http://pub69.ezboard.com/bthecircle42165
Old 02-11-2002, 03:44 PM   #59
Daegwenn
Haunting Spirit

Daegwenn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have some how managed to read quite a few of the books that go along with the game, Magic the Gathering.
-The Farseer books by Robin Hobb

Other than that, I prefer Historical fictions. Marion Zimmer Bradley, Pauline Gedge, and Diana Gabaldon.
A highwayman comes riding—
Riding—Riding—
A highwayman comes riding, up to the old inn-door.

Over the cobbles he clatters and clangs in the dark inn-yard.
And he taps with his whip on the shutters, but all is locked and barred.
He whistles a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there
But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter,
Bess, the landlord’s daughter,
Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair"
Highwayman
Alfred Noyes
Daegwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:32 PM   #60
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I'm a bit suprised that no one has mentioned Orson Scott Card yet. His "Ender" series is wonderful.

1 Enders Game
2 Speaker for the Dead
3 Enders Shadow
4 There is another one here, but I can't remember the title [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 08:40 PM   #61
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I am a huge fan of Ender, that was my obsession before LotR.
The books are,
1.Ender's Game
2.Speaker for the Dead
3.Xenocide
4.Children of the Mind
5.Ender's Shadow
6.Shadow of the Hegemon
There is a sixth one coming out in April or May, and a movie in the works.

Someone above mentioned Harry Turtledove too. Though I have not read any of his Fantasy books, I've read almost all the Alternate History. I found these to be particurally enjoyable.
1.The Great War trilogy
2.The World War series
3. The Two Georges (co-written by Richard Dreyfus)

I also really liked Artur C. Clarke's Space Oddesy series, and Contact.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 09:03 PM   #62
goldwine
Haunting Spirit

goldwine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the great reading advice guys! Like many of you, I love the Frank Perretti books, CS Lewis (Just finished the "Screwtape letters" again, Rosa)- have read Lewis' Sci-Fi - Voyage to Venus etcand as others did fount it thought provoking Loved "Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy". I must admit to loving Star Trek series, but can't get into the books. Although I don't call myself a Trekkie anymore after watching the movie of the same title! I found lots of comparisons with Babylon 5 and bits and pieces of Tolkien. Will try out lots of the other authors suggested. Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2002, 10:19 PM   #63
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Fingolas, Beren, and goldwine, greetings from Bagshot Row! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
"Eavesdropping Sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact."
Sam Gamgee
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 02-20-2002, 08:39 PM   #64
the_raging_jackass

Sting

I really like Robert Asprin's "Myth" series. They always bring a smile to my face. I also am a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft, and of course, Frank Herbert. (I know, its not fantasy). His son's new trilogy prequel to "Dune" is excellent.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:58 PM   #65
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Quote:
I really like Robert Asprin's "Myth" series
LOL!!!!I remember those! Boy, those were funny.....
Quote:
Sam refused to leave his master. He came and sat, curled up at Frodo's feet, where at last he nodded and closed his eyes.
Old 03-23-2002, 02:44 AM   #66
twinkle
Animated Skeleton

twinkle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

looks like i got a lot of new reading suggestions in here too....
however, i have to finish tolkien's books before i can switch saddles.....
the fantasy i've read so far includes marion zimmer-bradley, piers anthony, robert jordan, weis & hickman and a few others in times way back when i don't remember....
thx for the headsup on these other authors...

twinkle
Old 03-23-2002, 05:08 AM   #67
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Actually, my favourite fantasy book besides LOTR has always been Urshurak, though not many have heard of it, let alone have read it. Anyone out there read it? Shout out so I know I'm not alone, please!
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:16 AM   #68
Tigerlily

Sting

I read these:

1) DragonLance

2) The Death Gate Cycle

3) Melanie Rawn's series. I can't remember the title right now, but it was awesome.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:42 AM   #69
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Boots

I'm very happy to find so many other fans of Prydain!... I entirely love it, as you may well imagine. It actually spurred me to read the Mabinogion, which was difficult and in which I found that Alexander had changed many things (which is all right since I love the books), but in which I was delighted to find that there really was a Flewddur Fflam, and that he's mentioned twice in lists of princes they called down to fight for them... So from that came his obscure yet royal status and his swordfighting and Alexander actually took an interest in that.... ahem. Boy, am I off topic. Sorry.
Does anybody like any of his other books? I'm a big fan of Prince Jen, myself, and I'm trying to find the Westmark books so I can reread them.

A new movie of The Last Unicorn????? (cheers loudly). I hope its as respectful of the book as the animated version, and what the heck, better (even though the other was very good.... why make more movies unless you improve them over time?)

I also really like Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea and Always Coming Home, and I very much enjoyed the first two books of Lewis's Space Trilogy (I've yet to read That Hideous Strength), and The Little Prince is just an incredible book, and, let's see, there's a million other things I can't think of of course............

Oh, yes, and Coleridge of course!

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:36 AM   #70
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, many years ago (too many) I read all the Narnia books. In the fantasy section, it's primarily been Tolkien and Dragonlance -Chronicles, -Legends and -Tales. (I have always LOVED Raistlin [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ) I don't really understand what so many people have against Dragonlance. Some people have even said, that if you're into Tolkien, you can't like DL and the other way 'round. Well I'm into both. Of course there's a big difference, but it's different worlds and different "rules" so what is the fuzz?

[ March 23, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 03-23-2002, 11:15 AM   #71
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I missed this thread the first few times around. I'm glad someone mentioned Orson Scott Card. I love the Ender books too! He has another series called Homecoming that I also loved. Another favorite author of mine is Stephen Lawhead, especially his Song of Albion series, Pendragon Cycle and Byzantium.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:15 AM   #72
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ohhh, definately Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and also Melanie Rawn's Ruins of Ambrai and Michelle West's Sun Sword series. The rest just seems to be a hodpodge of everything else. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 12:18 AM   #73
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

actually...the more I read your guys' posts, I realized I have read a lot of books in the past few years...lol. I read LotR a looooong time ago, but Terry Pratchett and the Myst books are definately on my list...guess that's why I have a webpage to keep track of all that stuff...lol

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 04:18 PM   #74
muffin_goddess
Pile O'Bones

muffin_goddess has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

David Eddings-his stuff is quite brillig

David Gemmel-Eddingsish but more um... explicit in some of the ummm.... personal scenes

Redwall Bookies-Wow cutesie little mousies, squizzels, and moles saving the abbey its sooo sweet (lots of crying involved)

Phillip Pullman-all of them (not quite so much crying but at the end of ruby in the smoke and amber spyglass tears are shed)

Harry Potter-I have just recently "come out" as a fan, books quite good really after severe doubt and negotiation with brother he didn't keep his side but now I am Harry Potter fangirl *sigh*)

Deptford Mice- more mousie books very cute and lots of crying

Just recently (a couple of hours ago) started reading the Hobbit, lent to me by Fran (stubborn friend who refuses to see or read anything lotr) is v v v v good considering I'm 20 pages in, (watching hornblower on TV and have no time to read)

feel free to eat my subjects
muffin_goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 04:41 PM   #75
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read the Chronicles of Narnia, all four Harry Potters, most of the Redwall series, and the Lost Years of Merlin saga. I don't know if this counts but I play the Final Fantasy games alot.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #76
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is not a fantacy book.
It is science-fiction.
But it is still worth a read. The book is called ENDER'S GAME.
It's for anyone who likes intence edge of your seat action.
Ender's Game is about a six year old boy in the future named Ender. He has a loving sister and a blood thirsty brother. Ender has been chosen to go to a battle school ub space to train with other children. They have to work hard because there is a war against alien insects who must be destroyed.
Can Ender overcome terrible times?
Is he as blood thirsty as his brother?
Will he ever have friends?
Find out!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:03 AM   #77
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien is my addiction (go figure!), but I, too, have read the Chronicles of Narnia, as well as some of the DragonLance books, but right now I am reading R.A. Salvatore's The Crimson Shadow Trilogy (I'm on book two, almost done), then I am going into his Dark Elf Trilogy. You guys have given me some really good suggestions for my next picks. Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2002, 12:27 PM   #78
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been an Orson Scott Card fan since college. Not only the Ender books, but also the Alvin Maker series.
I read the Chronicles of Narnia in high school and liked them a lot though I haven't picked them up since.
One of my favorites is "The Little Prince" by Antoine de St. Exupery. It only takes about an hour or two to read.
For pure escapism, I used to read a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs, despite the racism/sexism/every other -ism that he expounds. They're loads of fun and adventure.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:00 PM   #79
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I totaly forgot about the Little Prince. I've read it about five times. I'ts very good. I love the asteroid where time is really fast.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:32 PM   #80
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I like The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.