The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2003, 07:23 AM   #241
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I... Am.....so....jelous....right.....now!
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:33 AM   #242
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Helka you are very odd. It just has to be said, I'm sorry.

Amanaduial I definitely salute your taste in books (except for the "Artemis Fowl is boring" thing). Diana Wynne Jones is brilliant, and so is Arthur and the Seeing Stone/at the Crossing Places.

Oh and I used to love the Faraway Tree, well all Enid Blyton really. What can I say- I wanted to be middle class!

[ May 03, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:41 PM   #243
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Quote:
Helka you are very odd. It just has to be said, I'm sorry.
You're lying you meanie. My mommy says that I am not weird. I'm special, that's all.

I have just remembered did anybody read Alone on the world? It was the first book that made me cry. Wonderfull. Really wonderfull. Beautifull story. I can't remember the writer. Terrebly sorry.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:42 PM   #244
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I think I've heard of a book with a title somewhat like that, but never read it. I think. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #245
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I don't know if it was called that way. I read it in Dutch. It was called:

"Alleen op de wereld." Which literaly translates to "Alone on the world."

So maybe that helps a little.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 AM   #246
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

I think I've heard of Alone In The World. Who is it by?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:46 AM   #247
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I just found out. It is written by Hector Malot. Don't know if that rings a bell with anyone. The main character is Remi. Although that was the name in the Dutch version.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:10 AM   #248
al'Thingolfin
Pile O'Bones

al'Thingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm, I started reading other fantasy books than Tolkien a couple a months ago, so I haven't read so much yet:

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1-10
Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth 1-4
Raymond E. Feist - Magician
Author unknown - Romance of three kingdoms

Last edited by al'Thingolfin; 10-09-2004 at 01:22 PM.
al'Thingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 04:07 AM   #249
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Helka- could you tell me where it is possible to find the book you mentioned? I always read things recommended by other BDers, if I can, so I've decided to try it, but I couldn't find it on amazon. As for fantasy... hmm... I've read some Tamora Pierce lately, and she's not bad. (She's also my math teacher's friend [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) I really love all books by Phillip Pullman, and there is a new drop dead funny book which is half its own story and half Harry Potter parody. I don't know if it's out in English yet, but anyhow, it's called Porry Gatter [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-20-2003, 04:48 AM   #250
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey has any one here head any of the David Eddings books The Diamond Throne from the Elenium trilogy then the follow on trilogy the Tamuli.

Two other good series from eddings are the Belgariad and the Malloreon.

Eddings like Tolkein puts alot of emotion into his characters. These books border on war/fiction as there are alot of well versed battles but they are still very pleasant reads without to much blood and gore.

I would suggest these books as first fiction reads as they are books you don't want to put down.

An other good writer is Sara douglas the author of the Axis trilogy another great read and once again a series you don't like to put down.

Those are my faves hope some of you know of hes books and agree

Don

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Donlammenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 03:13 PM   #251
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Where has this thread been this whole time? I have not seen it once! Anyway, I read many fantasy books...even besides Tolkien. They're pretty much the only things I like reading other than my Bible.

My favorite author other than Tolkien would have to be C.S. Lewis. He is one of the greatest fantasy writers of all time. I've read Out of the Silent Planet, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,, and I have a whole shelf full of his books I havn't read yet.

I also like older books and epic poems from authors such as Homer. Mythology has had a large impact on my life. I have read many types of writings about Greek and Roman Mythology, though I couldn't even begin to tell you what they were called. It was so long ago.

I was going to read the first Harry Potter book, but my mom said it wasn't that good of a book so for some reason I didn't. I might just pick it up and start reading it again though. They sound good to me. There was also this tilogy that my friend at school had. They sounded interesting, but I cannot remember what they were called. They were about this girl and boy who had exotic animals as pets, but I don't think the girl and boy were Human. It was strange, but it sounded cool. If anyone has any idea at to what they might be called, you can inform me. Other than that, I havn't read many other books. I really need to get out more anyway.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 AM   #252
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
She's also my math teacher's friend
EEP!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Wow... What was the name of your school again? Can I visit, and meet your teacher, and then meet Tamora Pierce, and then and then and then...?
Sorry for this off topic thing, I just wish I knew a writer, or just somebody who knew one (except my mum, but she doesn't count)

Oh, and I just thought up another author, Lene Kaaberbøl.
She's a Dane, but she's actually translated. (Wooo, now there's a sensation!)
Amongst others, she writes on the W.I.T.C.H.-series, main author I believe. She also wrote "The Shamers Daugther", "The Shamer Eyes", "The Serpent Gift" & the Katriona trilogy. Very good books [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #253
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Tamora Pierce is really brilliant. Unfortunately most bookshops put her in the 8-12 years section, so I kind of saunter in, looking side to side for staff and little kids. Aaargh! Then I go home and read the stuff it says about, ahem, getting pregnant and wonder why they think just because it's fantasy it has to be childish...
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #254
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

I know, I dont know why she gets put in the kids section. I mean, in one of the books I remember a few lines in particular...*ahem*

The fantasy section in the waterstones near me is great though- its pretty big. But they dont get things in paperback for ages...Im still waiting for the new Maggie Furey book to come out off hardback.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:43 AM   #255
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Quote:
I know, I dont know why she gets put in the kids section. I mean, in one of the books I remember a few lines in particular...*ahem*
My point precisely. Waterstones are planning to corrupt poor innocent 8 year olds!
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-27-2003, 05:55 AM   #256
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Has anyone read Tamora Pierce's Song Of The Lioness quartet? I thought that one is the best so far!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:31 PM   #257
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

My favorite fantasy authors are:

- David Eddings
- Mercedes Lackey
- Tamora Pierce
- Maggie Furey
- Terry Goodkind
- Piers Anthony

I particularly enjoy Mercedes Lackey books. Somehow, the Shin'a'in always appealed to me. Perhaps it was because they were horse-breeders, and I love horses!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #258
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Not fantasy, but I'm bursting to recommend one of my favorite authors: S. E. Hinton. She wrote 2 moderately "little kid" books, picture ones that is, The Puppy Sister being fantasy, Big David, Little David being... uh, I haven't read it yet, sorry, don't know. But she also wrote a few wonderful books that I recommend to all. One of these is The Outsiders, having a taste of everything, funny and sad, sweet and sour. That Was Then, This Is Now is amazing, but the end is terribly hurting. When I read it I walked around for three weeks in a daze, and reread all the book many times, except for that piece right before the ending, which I never touched again. There are 3 more, but those were my favorites. Not fantasy, and they're not for everyone, but I say they're certainly worth reading. And they make me cry, which is all too rare in the books and movies I read and watch.

~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #259
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I definitely agree with you about The Outsiders. That book is one of the best that I've ever read, even if it isn't fantasy. It seemed to sum up all of teenage angst in a few chapters, which is something that I've never seen any other author do.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:52 PM   #260
Dwalin
Pile O'Bones

Dwalin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I find most fantasy writing to be very poorly written but once I get the book in my hands I enjoy it anyway.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Belgariad and the Malloreon by David Eddings. They are long (five books each) and not exactly what I'd call "deep" but fun for a little "shallow" pleasure.

I also like Terry Brookes. The Shannara books are ok but "steal" too much from Tolkien (even more than most fantasy). I think Brooke's best writings are his Landover books, despite their ridiculousness. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I like C.S.Lewis mostly for his non-fiction (Mere Christianity) but Narnia is alright

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Dwalin ]
Old 05-28-2003, 04:36 AM   #261
Elentarimir
Wight

Elentarimir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elentarimir
Tolkien

I read the Song of the Lioness Quartet. Tamora Pierce is a great author! Some of my other favorites include Artemis Fowl(Eoin Colfer); Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen(Garth Nix);and The Dark is Rising Sequence(Susan Cooper).

There'e more, but it would take me AGES to write them all out.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #262
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Sting

I have read most books of Raymond E. Feist I think he is a very good writer.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #263
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I LOVE C.S. Lewis' works, everyone should read The Space Trilogy and The Chronicles of Narnia and Till We Have Faces (that last one's very confusing, though). I also like Tamora Pierce, and Madeline L'Engle, especially The Time Quartet. And Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine is a really good book (other books by her are good, too). A Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit is great (I love dragons). Ummm... let me think... the Redwall books are good, but there's just something about them I just can't really get into sometimes... maybe it's just tha fact that there are always a million storylines with at least one of the said storylines doing almost nothing, and it just seems to me that the action is altogether too slow. Not that I think they're bad of anything. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 07:37 PM   #264
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

I'm a Die-hard Tolkien reader! I stick with everything LOTR & Middle-Earth! (and the rest of Arda!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 05:13 AM   #265
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

What, you dont read anything but Tolkien? Man...

Hmmm. Terry Pratchett has definitely not been mentioned enough on this thread, so may I just reiterate how incredible the discworld books are. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Have just finished reading Night Watch- Brilliant!

Are there other Pratchett fans out there? Are you hiding?! *scours crowd with eyes...*
Old 05-30-2003, 05:27 AM   #266
Wolf Larson
Pile O'Bones

Wolf Larson has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I in my free time and when I am not involed in one of Tolkeins works enjoy the older Star Wars Novels and The Morgaine novels concerning Gates. Also some classic work such as Moby **** or Huck Fin.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:04 AM   #267
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Lets just call it Moby Duck for now, shall we? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 10:25 AM   #268
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Terry Goodkind: The Sword of Truth 1-4
Quote:
- Terry Goodkind
YES!!! Finally, I've found someone besides me who reads those books! Finwe, al'Thingolfin, you guys are great!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm on the sixth book of the Sword of Truth series right now, and [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]. Talk about stress; this guy never gives you a break.

And Helka, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reading the HP books. In fact, I have already reserved my copy of the 5th book (coming out June 21st). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le!
Old 05-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #269
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Everyone has mentioned some great authors and books, most of which I have read. My favorites (after Tolkien, of course) are:

Robert Jordan
David Eddings
Ann Rice

It is extremely difficult to find fantasy books that don't bear some resemblance to Tolkien. I find the truly original stories are the ones I enjoy the most.

I just finished a book by an author I haven't seen mentioned here that I enjoyed. It's The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling. Has anyone read some of her other books?
Old 05-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #270
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And Helka, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reading the HP books.
Yes there is. You ought to be ashamed of your selves [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] (its the closest thing to scolding)

I just finnished the Ender quartet by Olsen Scott Card which I started because of the recomendations I saw here. I found all but the third one (Xenocide) so enthrawling I couldn't put them down. The first one (Ender's Game) seemedt to be for younger readers than the rest, but I liked it just as much. His strange ideas as a Mormon started to come out towards the end of the second book and on though.

Anyone know if the Alvin Maker, Shadow, or Homecoming series by Card are any good?

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Salocin ]
Old 05-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #271
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
Yes there is.
No, there isn't. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #272
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Ah, I can see this getting steadily more and more mature. Now now children, lets all just reserve out views on Harry Potter and the actors therein...

The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle. I'm reading one of them at the moment - The Curse of the Gloamglozer - and have read most of the others. I would recomend them for anyone who liked fantasy, not just sci-fi, or slight magical references, but completely different worlds and species fantasy.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #273
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My desire to keep this wonderful thread HP free is clashing with my desire to enlighten those who are enslaved to HP. Can't you guys see it is just an atempt to draw people into witchcraft? Rowling is an admitted Wicka. And the books aren't even well writen! THis is what come from the "read a book any book" campains I guess. What ever happened to people being encouraged to read literature instead of just books?

Well I'll try to contain my self now. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 03:40 PM   #274
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Spelt Wicca. And she isnt a wicca, shes a wannabe wicca- just someone who has watched too much Buffy and tried to do magic by waving her hands and chanting some funny words in a made up language. Not that I have anything against Buffy, or the made up languages. Just JK Rowling. The books are a spin off of LotR, and also include several themes stolen from other fantasy books, but there are enough threads on this already. Maybe best to leave it.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #275
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Here are some books I read:
The Redwall Series- Brian Jacques
The Icewall Trilogy- Douglas Niles
Chronicles of Narnia- I Can't Remember! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
The Dhamon Saga- Jean Rabe
The Crossroads Series: Dragon's Bluff- Mary H. Herbert
The Inheritance- Nancy Varian Berberick
Dalamar the Dark- Nancy Varian Berberick

Those are just some of my favorites. I have read many more. If I had to recommend one book/series, it would be The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques.

-Fëa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:28 PM   #276
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Lady Arwen, the Narnia books are by C. S. Lewis. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #277
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Quote:
Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time 1-10
WOT 1-10 is a LOT of reading. al'Thingolfin there is NO WAY you can say you have read little fantasy. And by the way, great combination of LOTR and WOT in your nick! s it just me or have WOT related nicks increased a lot recently?

I just read the Colour of Magic, the Light Fantastic and Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. They are very VERY funny! So different to Tolkien, but great! Aman have you by any chance read Johnny and the Bomb? Not sure it's fantasy but I used to love it...In fact I may read it again when I have less stuff to do!
the Forbidden Link
Old 05-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #278
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

I havent no- I borrowed it from the library, forgot about it, came to read it only to find that it was already overdue, I'm afraid. Only You Can Save Mankind is great though - read it?
Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 AM   #279
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Tolkien

As of now, I'm halfway through The Mists of Avalon. Has anyone read any of the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer??
Old 07-07-2003, 06:00 AM   #280
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
The Eye

There isn't wrong reading the HP books, I read them too. I've read all of them about two times actually....

J.K. Rowling is a good writer, but her books are nothing compared to Tolkien's....My opinion though. HP book 1-3, you can read in one day. HP book 4-5, you can read in one weekend. LOTR has of course more pages than HP, but it takes longer time to read to because it's "deeper", if you know what I mean....

And Amanaduial the archer, did you really meet Daniel Radcliffe??? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Not that I don't believe you or anything, I just thought I'd ask....
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]