The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #321
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Congrats on the 100th, Osse
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:14 AM   #322
Angry Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Angry Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know if this has already been mentioned because, well this thread is nine pages and I can't really be bothered to read it.

My favourite fantasy author who isn't Tolkien is Tad Williams because he, as well as creating a reasonably realistic and convincing world, manages to portray the human and emotional side of his characters throuughout the books.

If you wanna check him out, the best books are a 'trilogy' (which is more like four books- the last one is slpit into two parts) called 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.'

This is highly recommended by myself.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #323
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Favortie Fantasy Book List (Besides Tolkien's works)

-Dark Is Rising Series by Susan Cooper~ great books. Interesting and funny. VERY believeable and moving. Makes you want to fight against the Dark, rooting for Will and the Light (the Old Ones) all the way.

-Wrinkle in Time Series~ love all of the books, except for the VERY new ones (too much romance for my taste). Anyways, an ingenious invention. A total masterpiece.

-Phantom Tollbooth~ book for all ages. ABSOLUTELY ingenious. Challenges the mind to "think outside of the box."

-Ella Enchanted~ a moving and exciting book. A romance novel (not too much), yet with a good deal of fast pace action that sweeps you off your feet and makes you want to read more. There is a movie, I believe, being made that is based upon it. Yet, from the commercials, it does not look like the movie will be much like the book. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Oh, well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

These are a few of my favorite books and series. I recommend them for you all to read. They are all beautifully crafted and total works of art. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #324
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Ring

Quote:
VERY new ones (too much romance for my taste).
VERY new ones? Which would those be?
In that series I very much enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time and A Swiftly Tilting Planet, but the ones "In the middle", so to speak, AWind in the Door and Many Waters, I didn't really care for. Come to think of it, the ones where they're all "older" (ie: Arm of the Starfish) I didn't care to much for, either.
Weird...the characterization wasn't as good, it seemed. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 01-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #325
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Quote:
VERY new ones? Which would those be?
Those would be the ones after the books that you have mentioned in your post, Samwise. Have you seen them in the bookstore before? They are about that red-headed girl's (what's her name? forgot. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]) daughter and all of her 'adventures' and 'romances'. They are not very good at all. Too much romance for my taste. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #326
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

AFTER those? Whew...hm...I think her name was Polyhimnia([sp?]Poly). Adventures and romances? Echh....dosen't sound like my kinds of stories, either. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 03:02 AM   #327
vartalion

Sting

Druss the Legend
and the 'Empire' trilogy (Fiest)
and many other Feist books
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #328
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

ya i ahve read many fantasy books before

one of my favourite is harry potter written by j.k.rowling

it as lotr takes us into a magical fantasy world
Old 02-02-2004, 10:44 PM   #329
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I personally enjoy:
The books of Pern (though wether it's fantacy or sci-fi is debateable)
The Green Rider Series- Brilliantly composed series. Can't wait for the nest one.
The Dealing With Dragons series- brings a practical aspect to the old Fairy Tales(For once the main charchter isn't doing anything completely idiotc)
And if you haven't read it, I suggest the Tough Guide to Fantacyland. It's absolutely hysterical and pokes fun at all those fantacy stereotypes.
Other than that I'm an Anime fan. Very seriously. I'm going to a support group (club).

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:49 PM   #330
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Ah... Raymond E. Feist... brilliant, brilliant man!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #331
Bill
Pile O'Bones

Bill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

O dear! How could we have forgotten about Stephen King, one of the world's greatest horror writer?!
I loved his The Dark Tower series!!
You gotta check out his books if you haven't done so!
rising to a great height, where its reeking head was swathed in cloud."

- Book six, The Land of Shadow -
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #332
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only other fantasy novels I've read are the the Harry Potter series, and the novel Eregon, which, although slightly reminicent of LOTRs, due to to the presence of Elves, Dwarves, and Men, it is interesting to think that the book was written by a nineteen year-old.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #333
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
How could we have forgotten about Stephen King
Ergh... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] sorry, Mister Bill, sir, that man's work is just not my cup of tea, so to speak... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Welcome to the thread an' th' 'Downs.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #334
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

20th Century

-Redwall, Brian Jacques
-Narnia Series, CS Lewis
-Read Pyrdain, Artemis Fowl, others.

Older

-The Idylls of the King, Sir Thomas Mallory
-Gulliver's Travels, Jonathan Swift
-The Oddyssey, Homer

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:51 PM   #335
Gilwen
Pile O'Bones

Gilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read every Brian Jaques but one, and they're alright-although he does seem to reuse his plots. I've also read some Garth Nix
Anything and everything Tolkien is great, and EVERYONE SHOULD READ FARMER GILES OF HAM!
C.S. Lewis is awesome too. I love Narnia and his space/si-fi trilogy:Out of the Silent Planet, Peralandra(a personal favorite), and That Hideous Strength, but I can't seem to find anyone else who's read them
In short, I read just about anything that I can get my hands on. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 03:20 AM   #336
Kronos
Animated Skeleton

Kronos has just left Hobbiton.
Having read the whole thread I am amazed that so few people have mentioned George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

I have read a great many fantasy works and this is the best by far. And yes that includes Tolkien. Put simply his characterisation, the complexity of the plot, the differing shades to his characters, the differing viewpoints exposed to the reader, and the surprises all surpass Tolkien by a fair degree. In fact with the characterisation by a massive degree.

I can heartily recommend it to anyone.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:46 PM   #337
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Well I didn't see it listed above so I'll mention it here.

The Dragonlance Trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is a very good fantasy series. I've read about 20 of their other books and have been very impressed by them. Nothing close to Tolkien, but very good nonetheless and I heartily recommend it to fantasy fans.

Anything at all by Tolkien--the Tolkien Reader, the Silmarillian, etc. Farmer Giles of Ham is one of my favorite of his short stories.

C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength are also excellent books, although more sci-fi than fantasy.

I've read the first two books of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, but was moderately impressed by the change between the first and the second book. I hope to get the rest of the books soon.

Charles Williams is also an excellent writer. I have only read one of his books, War in Heaven, and that recently, but my dad has just about everything that he has ever written so I hope to get around to more of them soon.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #338
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I love Ella enchanted, that's a good book

Anyway Raymond E. Feist rules I have read so many of his books

The there is Melanie Rawn. I liked her books a lot although some of them are a little sad.

I like all of Robin Hobb's trilogies and I can't wait til Fool's Fate comes out.

Of course I like C.S Lewis a lot

The Pern series by Anne McCaffrey are good.

Who else?

David Eddings (I love Belgarath, not at all like a normal sorcerer )

Juliet Marrilier wrote the Sevenwaters trilogy which I really liked. It has a bit of fantasy in it.

Brian Jaques is always fun to read.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (I heard this trilogy is going to be made into a movie)

The Neverending story by Michael Ende

Tamora Pierce wrote some good stuff too

There are some more, but I can't think of them. GRRR Oh well this is quiet a big list already
Old 02-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #339
Finwe
Deathless Sun

I recently re-read Stephen Lawhead's Avalon and loved every moment of it! That author is absolutely gifted! I also loved his series on Merlin.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:10 AM   #340
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I like books. They have words and pretty pictures.

Seriously , though, I do tend to fail some of my classes because I read and don't pay attention. Here are some of my favorites:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
Gulliver's Travels
Dante's Inferno, Puragatory, and Paradise
Beowulf
Good Omens

I am also partial to Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Some of them have immense amounts of deep philosophical meaning. I also enjoy telling that to those annoying people who read the books because they are so 'dark'. They gape at me with open mouths when I tell them that the deaths of so many mortals is really quite a blaise metaphor for the fragility of human life.

I do the same thing with LotR. It is amazing how many people (girls) I have found who read only the parts with Legolas in them.

*shakes head sadly* oh well...

P.S: Gilwen I have read Out of the Silent Planet , and I think it is quite good, I just can't find the last two.

Last edited by Saraphim; 02-14-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #341
silma

It's nice to see Feist and Gemmel mentioned, they are probably my next two favorites after Tolkien.
I'm also keen on The Black Company books but I can't remember who wrote them ( I lent them to my brother 3 years ago and I don't think I'm ever going to get them back.)
Lets see, who else.... Stephen Donaldson, David Eddings, Clive Barker, Ursula Le Guin, there are more but then I'd be going on for ages!!!! and of course Terry Pratchett, how could I forget him!!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #342
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Saraphim: Anne Rice is a great author, isn't she? It's amazing how one can find hope in such seemingly "dark" books. I enjoyed every page of every book in her Vampire Chronicles series. I do deem it unfortunate that she won't be writing any more. Those books were truly amazing.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:54 PM   #343
warrenerd
Animated Skeleton

warrenerd has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to warrenerd
Pipe

as much as i love this subject, my required readings demand otherwise. however, i have been abled to sneak a few, like the chronicles of narnia, lotr, *whispers* all the roald dahl books... the brothers grimm. wow. that's just about it. don't worry. i'll work on that list. i need to get these nonfics and realfics out of the way first.
~wannanerd?warrenerd~
Old 02-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #344
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril moving...

This thread has been around for a long time and really belongs on the Novices and Newcomers forum. I'm moving it now; please continue to read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:59 PM   #345
Lindowen

1420! other fantasy books

I love reading but lately I have been on a shortage for books
Here is my list

The Time Quartet - L'Engle -I loved these books
The Once and Future King- T.H. White- I have only read the first
book and part of the second so far
Out of the Silent Planet- C.S. Lewis- cool book I'm now working
on the second (Perelandra)
I want to read the Wheel of Time series but I haven't had a chance I have the first book luckly
another book that I have always like is well...
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

... and that is just my list for now [SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=darkblue]
Old 02-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #346
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Eye

I like Terry Brooks books too, though I really feel there are too many similarities between LOTR and the Sword of Shannara. Really loved it though!
I am also a myths and fables junkie. I love D' Aulaires's *double checks spelling* Book of Greek Myths. Beautiful drawings (perfect for beginner myth buffs!) and fabulous stories.
I used to be really into Harry Potter, but its gotten kinda *cough* juvenille for me. But I'll go and buy the 6th one when it comes out.
C.S. Lewis is awesome! I cried at the end of the Narnia series. Seriously. It was so beautiful.
LOTR official nut too. (couldn't be any others out there either. Right? )
Um, also love Robert Frost, Hemingway(even if he was *cough, cough* odd in life), & Jane Austen on occasion.
Started the Dune series, but I think I started on the wrong book, and I was really confused.
I am a book worm and will read just about anything, but am currently writing my own fantasy story, and am avoiding reading fantasy (though I love it!!) so I don't go and cheat the story subconsciously or blatantly.
My favorite TV shows are Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, *blushes*, Early Edition (Kyle Chandler starred. kinda old show now), Diagnosis Murder, anything on BBC, and almost all classic movies are game.
Quote:
"Eavesdropping Sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact."
Old 02-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #347
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Quote:
Originally posted by Saraphim
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
Gulliver's Travels
Dante's Inferno, Puragatory, and Paradise
Beowulf
Good Omens
You, my friend, have particularly good taste.

I never counted Dante Alleghieri's Divine Comedy as fantasy since it is technically religious, although I'm pretty sure even Dante himself wasn't convinced that what he wrote about existed. Must to research *researches*. Hitchiker's Guide, good reading. More comedic than fantastic, although it is pretty fantastic in the long run. Gulliver's Travels is fantasy, on the other hand, and good fantasy at that. Jonathon Swift's works are always interesting.

BEOWULF! SOMEBODY'S READ BEOWULF! YAY!
[rant]Hrothgar forever! Someone else who knows of the bane of Grendel and his mighty maternity, the timeless halls of Herot! YAY YET AGAIN![/rant]

Other books that are good, in my opinion are:

In the Classical Genre primarily:
-Bullfinch's Greek Mythology
-General Works of Sir Thomas Mallory
-Thom More's Utopia (allegorical mainly)

Other Stuff, more modern:
-Dragonlance Series (good, not great)
-Dark Tower Series by King (not a fan of horror myself)
-Books (too many to recount) by Raymond E. Feist
-Books by Esther M. Friesner (not great either)
-Books by George R. R. Martin
-Rod Serling series, though those are more sci-fi

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM   #348
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

The first real medieval-type fantasy book I ever read was the Hobbit (shortly followed by LotR, the Sil, ect.) when I was very young. After that, any books that seem to copy or derive from Tolkien's works I find boring, and they kind of make me angry. I can't help it.

I honestly want to read that Eregon book, but one look at the map inside and I have to put it down. I'm sure the kid has alot of writing talent, but I just can't get my will past that Melian Forest (or whatever) long enough to find out.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:56 AM   #349
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

If you're reading fantasy and you like the LOTR, stay away from Eragon. You will spend years screaming at the book because it copied ever name and place in LOTR. And it doesn't even give it credit! Don't make my mistake! Don't buy the book and never read it....if you like lord of the rings, which i think you should, as you are on this forum! OR ARE yOU here for other reasons?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:09 AM   #350
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

If you're reading fantasy and you like the LOTR, stay away from Eragon. You will spend years screaming at the book because it copied ever name and place in LOTR. And it doesn't even give it credit! Don't make my mistake! Don't buy the book and never read it....if you like lord of the rings, which i think you should, as you are on this forum! OR ARE yOU here for other reasons?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #351
eamane

I have read:
The Narnia chronicles
Harry Potter
Lioness rampent quartet
And many more
Old 02-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #352
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Wow Perky Ent. You're pretty adamant about that. I would be too. I already am with other things, like Dungeons and Dragons , for example. I'm sure I would be like that about Eragon, but I never read it. I borrowed my friend's copy and read the acknowledgements (I probably spelled that wrong) and there was no mention of LotR or Tolkien.

It looked as though he just picked random names from LotR and the Sil and masqueraded them off as his own, with an occasional letter switch here and there. That's not good writing.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:55 PM   #353
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I read Beowulf too! At my scholl we have an english honours class where you can read more books and have more advanced discussions. We read part of Beowulf and I really liked it, however we didn't finish the whole thing so I want to do that some day.

I also like Jane Austen and Susan Cooper is good too.

I only looked at Eragon read the flap and put it down because I immediatly knew it would be one of those pretend books.

I have read two books by Terry Brooks and although his first book is a clone of LOTR I still thought it was fun to read. I think his books are more the kind you lend from the library.

I love this thread since I am such a bookworm!

Did you know The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe is being made into a movie again. It is being filmed in New Zealand too.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:26 PM   #354
galadriel'smaiden
Haunting Spirit

galadriel'smaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to galadriel'smaiden
Silmaril

Garth Nix's "Abhorsen" Trilogy was sooo cool. I lurved it.

Meredith Ann Peirce's "darkangel" Trilogy is a great read with a BAD ending. Its isnt even a happy ending...stupid realistic undertones... Anyways, bak to buisness...I read almost nothing but Fantasy/Sci Fi......AH! "People of the Mist" by Isabelle Allende. YERSH!
galadriel'smaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:15 AM   #355
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ya i agree with you kransha ,eragon i think was tottlay copied from tolkien its outrageous that authors just intend to copy whole books and as kransha said:-

WE HATESSSSSS IT PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 03-01-2004, 12:23 AM   #356
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

I read no other fantasy books, ive read Harry Potter, but in the same way I read a text book. Im just not into ther books of the fantasy genre.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #357
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ya i agree with you kransha ,eragon i think was tottlay copied from tolkien its outrageous that authors just intend to copy whole books and as kransha said:-

WE HATESSSSSS IT PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 03-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #358
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Why can't we just accept good stories for what they are, good stories, instead of harping on about how they were blatantly copied from J.R.R. Tolkien? The best form of flattery is imitation. I don't see Christopher Tolkien raising a hue and cry about Eragon? Why should we? Remember, he is the one who was adamantly against the movies, so against them that he even disowned his own son. If he isn't upbraiding the book, then I don't think that we should either. Just accept and appreciate the book for being a good, diverting tale, and just leave it right there. Don't take it into your head to pass judgment and play Eru, because you're not.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:43 AM   #359
Finwe
Deathless Sun

I've read Beowulf already and I'm currently working on Idylls of a King.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #360
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

But thats literature! I read a tonne of that... **shock horror** and I like it.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote