The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #361
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
(prompted by the Rock Bands and Tolkien thread)
Having grown up on punk and new wave, I'd like to assign 1970s 'progressive' rock - a guilty pleasure for me if ever there was one. Those endless songs, those overdressed orchestral arrangements, those self-indulgent solos - impossible to take serious, but still... about once a year or so, a fix of Yes or ELP is just the thing I need.

EDIT: Is it just déja vu, or have I posted something like this before? Guess I'm getting old... (The pleasures of Alzheimer: you get to meet new people every day!)

Last edited by Pitchwife; 01-31-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #362
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The unholy little beep that debit cards make when you swipe them to pay for things.

Because granted, today was the most epic shopping trip of recent memory... and it's not even done yet... But I really need to be a little more fiscally responsible and not dissolve into paroxysms of glee when I see grommet bejeweled shirts and little bottles of crackling agent (meant to age acrylic paint) and twelve packs of colored brush pens for $2.99.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #363
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White-Hand

Finding comparatively few posts after coming to the 'downs after a week's absence. It's nice to be able to catch up quickly, but it really makes you wonder if it's all dead here (ignore the pun ) nowadays.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #364
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Looking up quotes from my Tolkien books to answer in the Palantir of Fortune thread, instead of writing a very boring paper on Marxist jurisprudence.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #365
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign cheesy potato soup. Soooo good...sooooo bad for my lactose intolerance.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #366
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Shoes

and my unholy addiction to the purchase thereof.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #367
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
and my unholy addiction to the purchase thereof.
Ah, yes. That addiction of yours has been noticed here before.

I'd like to assign stormy weather. Good for sleeping, but I'm always slightly nervous about the power going out and the crawlspace sump pump thus not working. Water in one's basement is rather a pain.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #368
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dark-Eye

Nice shoes but theyr kinda high

I assign cold weather!! Yay!! this heat stinks!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #369
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Bwhaha! There's a reason I said it's unholy. Don't let me near shoe stores!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #370
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
We have Mordor, where we may assign the things we hate. We have the Shire, a veritable repository of the things we love.

But what about the things that we hate to love? Or, more accurately, the things that we know we should hate, but which we secretly (or not so secretly) love?

Should they not be assigned to Orthanc? OK, I was inspired by the "rooting for the bad guys" thread. We know we should disapprove of Saruman. And yet it surely cannot be denied that he is a facinating character. Perhaps the most interesting "baddie" that Tolkien presents us with. Apart from Gollum, perhaps, but the "below Goblintown, the Misty Mountains" is rather too unspecific as a location.

And Saruman had his gulity pleasures too. The Halfling weed, for example.

So, I'll kick us off.

- Cigarettes (obviously)
- Big Brother (the reality show, not the Orwellian creation)
- Reality TV shows in general ...
- George W Bush (I know I should disapprove of him, but I can't help finding something endearing about him )
- Intolerance towards shtoopid people
- Intolerance towards people who dawdle (eg, the "zombie shuffle" in tube stations at rush hour)
- Checking the Barrow-Downs at work
- Playing Werewolf (and making lists pertaining thereto) at work.

OK, that's enough from me for now.

Let's hear those confessions ...
Romance novels. Chick-lit like "The Princess Diaries" . Disney and things meant for young girls aged 11-12-13.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 AM   #371
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

sorry. that should be a -.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #372
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morwen edhelwen View Post
Romance novels. Chick-lit like "The Princess Diaries" . Disney and things meant for young girls aged 11-12-13.
I second this. They're oh so corny, and oh so meant to suck money away from people, but you gotta love them anyways.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #373
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
I'd like to dump hair-straightners, hair dryers and all that other cosmetic junk that clogs up my room! I find all items useless to me in my present job.

So I'm having a clean out.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #374
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

hey everyone, got a status update! Pile O'Bones!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #375
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I second this. They're oh so corny, and oh so meant to suck money away from people, but you gotta love them anyways.
Really, Loslote? So do you *like* "The Princess Diaries?"
Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #376
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwen edhelwen View Post
Really, Loslote? So do you *like* "The Princess Diaries?"
They're mind candy. They're junky and bad for you, but you enjoy them anyways.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #377
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
1. Chocolate
2. Turkish delight
3. Reading when I should be studying!
4. Lazing around all day when I know I should exercise
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #378
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
My tendency to dispute statements based on their (lack of) merit, rather than the likelihood of actually getting anywhere. It can lead to some interesting debates.

On the other hand, I just now had to tell myself:
"Wait a moment. I am actually arguing with a person who believes that the problem with the modern world is that too few people are raising families in their teens, and who is wringing her hands in despair over how technology has "broken" all our minds. Yeah... don't think we're going to find much common ground, somehow..."

I always hate walking away, but sometimes you do have to let the other party have the last word.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #379
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
They're mind candy. They're junky and bad for you, but you enjoy them anyways.
Yeah...sometimes I'll watch a fluff movie, enjoy letting my brain rot, and then wonder why I spent the past hour and a half doing so.

I assign to Orthanc cheesy, bad, and laughable adaptations of my favourite books. The Bakshi LotR, a 1950s Sherlock Holmes TV series starring Ronald Howard, a radio dramatization of LotR I got at the library (Haldir sounds more like a Hobbit than Frodo does, and Gildor Inglorion sounds like a squeaky toy. They did keep Glorfindel!). They make me alternate between pounding my head against a wall and having fun. But yeah, guilty pleasures if I ever had them.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #380
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastande Took View Post
Yeah...sometimes I'll watch a fluff movie, enjoy letting my brain rot, and then wonder why I spent the past hour and a half doing so.

I assign to Orthanc cheesy, bad, and laughable adaptations of my favourite books. The Bakshi LotR, a 1950s Sherlock Holmes TV series starring Ronald Howard, a radio dramatization of LotR I got at the library (Haldir sounds more like a Hobbit than Frodo does, and Gildor Inglorion sounds like a squeaky toy. They did keep Glorfindel!). They make me alternate between pounding my head against a wall and having fun. But yeah, guilty pleasures if I ever had them.
They kept Glorfindel? I've got to hear this! He's one of my favourite characters
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #381
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Paul the Octopus. I won one bet but lost another, because of him.

And the fact that half my friends weren't able to understand me when I ranted about the Spanish victory. Football isn't even famous here in my country.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #382
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I assign to Orthanc the fact of being surrounded by my native tongue after five weeks in the US. It's both soothing and weird...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #383
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign getting awarded the funds for my Erasmus exchange program, but not having heard anything from the host university.

Basically this means I get the money for going abroad, but I don't have anywhere to go. . . University starts in a few weeks, so hopefully stuff will happen very soon.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #384
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So awhile ago, in the Mordor thread, I talked about a film I'd been involved with, in which it became increasingly apparent that the screenwriter/producer, for all she'd won some minor award and had (alleged) contacts in Hollywood, had no idea what she was doing.

Well, she rather suddenly had a crisis of faith and pulled the plug on the whole thing. While this has probably left some people, more closely involved than I was, in the lurch, I'd say it's a good thing.

However, I was just looking at various proposed independent productions, and honestly, it's quite depressing, the number of aspiring filmmakers who don't seem even to know what a story is, or at least how to describe one. I mean, if you're touting for funding, and for people to come on board with the production, and all you can say about your plot is: "X happens. Then Y happens", where X and Y are, seemingly, completely unconnected events... I don't think you're going to get very far.

The upside of this, though, is that if one happens to have some good ideas, there's not much competition.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #385
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Surprisingly, I have to assign getting a gastroscopy - not so much the procedure itself, and certainly not the dratted ulcer which made it necessary in the first place (that goes straight to Mordor*), but the stuff they gave me for anaesthetic: woke up feeling all fuzzy, relaxed and blissfully detached from mundane reality for an hour or two, like after smoking a pipe of the best Longbottom Leaf, plus it's legal and paid for by health insurance!

*(and has arrived there by now - today was just a control check, and all is well, no need to worry)
Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #386
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Caffe Nero's Mocha - I shouldn't drink it since I am lactose intolerant so Ishouldn't be drinking it at all, it is expensive and calorific I mustn't make it a habit.. but by golly it is good... I have resisted for ages, well over a year but I had one yesterday and again to day.. far too nice...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #387
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assing hypocrites to Orthanc (seeing as I am one)
Also, history - I know its important, but I couldn't care less about the Constitution and the 72 resolutions and stuff like that.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #388
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I assing hypocrites to Orthanc (seeing as I am one)
Also, history - I know its important, but I couldn't care less about the Constitution and the 72 resolutions and stuff like that.
Bah! I adore History and would therefore assign it to the Shire Just remember without some of those amendments (mainly the first one) in the Constitution being there, you wouldn't be able to freely express your indifference on the subject. Am only teasing you though we all have our opinions on the subject.

I assign to Orthanc confectionery goods in general.

I also assign Christmas lights. You love seeing them through the holidays, but oh what a treat it is before hand when you have to untangle them all and check them to see if they work from last year!
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #389
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I was thinking about this, and I want to assign reading. Yes, reading. I love reading, and I read everywhere at any time. That is how I ruined my eyesight. And I just can't stop reading like that. Not to say that I wasn't forbidden by my parents to read on the bus or in bed or at night using a flashlight or... well, you get my point.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #390
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I was thinking about this, and I want to assign reading. Yes, reading. I love reading, and I read everywhere at any time. That is how I ruined my eyesight. And I just can't stop reading like that. Not to say that I wasn't forbidden by my parents to read on the bus or in bed or at night using a flashlight or... well, you get my point.
Cheer up, G55, you were probably going to be short-sighted anyway (assuming that's the trouble). I mean, it does tend to run in families.

I, now, am going to assign books. They multiply. One keeps buying bookcases, and yet there are never enough to contain these hordes of paper monsters. Really, I don't know where they all keep coming from...
Old 12-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #391
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I, now, am going to assign books. They multiply. One keeps buying bookcases, and yet there are never enough to contain these hordes of paper monsters. Really, I don't know where they all keep coming from...
How true!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #392
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I'll assign colds. It's fun to go outside during winter without putting on proper winter clothes, but then you have to stay at home for a few days because you have a cold.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #393
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Also, puppies. They are cute and cuddly and fun to play with and all that stuff, but then think of all the trouble they cause all around the house! They ruin furniture, go to the bathroom wherever they want, make a mess with their food in the kitchen, etc *saving you the trouble to go through the whole rant*, and to cap it all when you need them to come, they hide under some bed and won't get out until you move the bed, and then they run under the couch, and so on. I don't own any dogs myself, but my neighbour does, and since we're really close friends I have a lot of experience with them. When she told me that she got two new puppies, I hardly refrained from saying aloud "What new devilry is this?" . But puppies are nice, no matter what. After all, they don't really mean half the things that they do...
Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #394
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Silmaril

Reality TV.

You know you don't want to watch it because most of the shows are pretty...well, stupid. And yet, you can't take your eyes away from it. It's like a trainwreck!
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #395
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Piercings!

On the one hand, they are exciting and sparkly and awesome, and on the other hand, sometimes it hurts sooooo baaaaaaad, but on another hand it only hurts for a few hours, and on yet another hand it makes my sister jealous, but on the other hand it makes my Mom freak out, and on another hand they are expensive and I'm saving for a trip, but on the other other hand...I want more!

I also assign not having seven hands. Extra hands would be awesome, but that's just too much hand lotion.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #396
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I also assign not having seven hands. Extra hands would be awesome, but that's just too much hand lotion.
7 hands would be great, but I don't have that many gloves!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #397
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'll assign to Orthanc all new and nice information-technology gadgets!

Well, all the information technology.

It's so handy to be around, solves problems, makes one accesible to hundreds of things unimagined like ten years ago, makes it possible to do things in cosier environments etc.

But when your wireless connection from the laptop which you have been using to hit a deadline story suddenly dies ten minutes before you'd have to send it, and just says it's "checking the connection"...

When your high speed home PC takes 15 minutes to connect to the internet and another 15 minutes to open a one page Word-file from an USB-stick moved from the laptop...

And when your 3G phone is just what it is, aka. not for posting novels from it.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #398
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Stoicism.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #399
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
1420!

Beer.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #400
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Evisse, why Orthanc? Beer is God's proof that he loves us and wants us to be happy.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote