The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #121
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I assign WW games to Orthanc. They're so much fun to play and a great chance to get together with your fellow Downers, but they slow the production of RPGs!
Sorry Groin. I can sympathise with that assignment...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #122
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Eating breakfast at 2AM. Well, that's just a part of it, of course.
Sleeping, sometimes. It does make my family quite annoyed. Few days ago I slept from 8AM to 6PM. Does make one do stupid things when one has too much free time and the philosophy of "why not".
Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #123
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Staying awake very late just to finish a book.

It's awesome to just read on, without paying attention to clocks or any other silly things, finishing books is satisfying, books often "taste" best when consumed in large chunks and the gradually increasing light is just beautiful.

But a habit like this really doesn't make your life easier if a) you have to wake up early (11am ) next morning, b) if it makes you get up outrageously late (2.30pm) if you don't have to wake up early, c) you've done it on three subsequent nights and fear it's becoming a habit and c) it is combined with playing a werewolf game the deadline of which is 2am your time.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #124
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Seconded, with a vengeance. That's how I've spent my last week instead of sleeping. Now I need to go back to the library.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #125
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
This Post Makes Me A Ghost Prince of Cardolan!!!!

Quote:

It's awesome to just read on, without paying attention to clocks or any other silly things, finishing books is satisfying, books often "taste" best when consumed in large chunks and the gradually increasing light is just beautiful.
One of my very bad habits too! I guess that it is a good thing that I read so many books, but I read straight on through the night sometimes when I have to wake up at 5:30 the next morning... which is not good for a girl who needs at LEAST 8 hours of sleep to function properly. Just last week I was staying up until 2:30 am reading The Silver Chair and then I decided to resist the temptation to read The Last Battle, I won!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #126
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Can I second my own assignment?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #127
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Fourthčd (looks more old-fashioned and soubds better like that).

Anyway, yeah, I have been known to do that.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #128
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
But the feeling you get when you finish the book is so gleeful that it erases all bad stuff. When you finish you close the book with a powerful clap, you take a deep sigh, and then jump into bed and sleep till morning light.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #129
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
But the feeling you get when you finish the book is so gleeful that it erases all bad stuff. When you finish you close the book with a powerful clap, you take a deep sigh, and then jump into bed and sleep till morning light.
Unless you live in Alaska in the summer-time, then morning light happens at 1:00 in the morning! But in the winter would be great! I love staying up late to finish a good book, after you put it down, you can go to sleep in about a minute!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #130
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign Le Mans

I do like this race, but at the same time it is a perfect showcase for Danish sports hystiria that shows whenever we are slightly good at any sport.

I guess it is because that save from Speedway it is the only motor sport we really win anything in (Tom Kristensen being the first to win it 7 times),

Anyways it is really crazy, it is estimated that between 25-30.000 Danes are down there watching it.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #131
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign seeing one of my best lecturers from University (Prof. Sue Harper) being on a television programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c144x

but not speaking!!!

This woman is brilliant and funny but she was just there with a glass in her hand
.. I can assume that she outshone the presenters.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #132
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I assign Facebook, that lovely crazy site that my parents don't know that I roam...
Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #133
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign not being able to find a summer job. Normally it'd be assigned straight to Mordor, but it is kind of nice not having to be anywhere or do anything. Though at the same time, I REALLY need the money. Desperately. Plus after over a month of not being the slightest bit productive, my existence is starting to feel rather pathetic.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #134
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
I assign not being able to find a summer job. Normally it'd be assigned straight to Mordor, but it is kind of nice not having to be anywhere or do anything. Though at the same time, I REALLY need the money. Desperately. Plus after over a month of not being the slightest bit productive, my existence is starting to feel rather pathetic.
Oh, I'll assign that to the Shire.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #135
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Brinn - I second you absolutely. So true.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 AM   #136
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Oh, I'll assign that to the Shire.
But I can't...not when I owe my parents $2,000 for my England adventures (apparently traveling can get expensive ). It's nice being lazy (especially since the job market is not exactly great right now), but I really do have to get a job for survival (and it doesn't help when your family reminds you everyday that you need to make a better effort...then your credit card bill shows up). Anyways, I've found that having a job is really not that bad (and even sometimes enjoyable) as long as it's a job you like. Once I do get a job, I'm sure I'll be assigning it to Orthanc...
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #137
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
But I can't...not when I owe my parents $2,000 for my England adventures (apparently traveling can get expensive ). It's nice being lazy (especially since the job market is not exactly great right now), but I really do have to get a job for survival (and it doesn't help when your family reminds you everyday that you need to make a better effort...then your credit card bill shows up). Anyways, I've found that having a job is really not that bad (and even sometimes enjoyable) as long as it's a job you like. Once I do get a job, I'm sure I'll be assigning it to Orthanc...
1. Ouch!

2. Interesting way of seeing things.

3. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #138
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign ruined sleep cycles. While it was fun to stay up until 4 to 5 in the morning, catching up on a week's worth of what I missed online one night and watching Chuck the next, and the stormy weekend was good for sleeping in the afternoon and early evening, the headache it caused was definitely not good. And now I have to bully my body clock into getting back to the normal scheme of things lest I find myself falling asleep in class.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #139
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The voicemail settings on my work telephone.

I like the fact that the Accounts manager did the message and since my name )or at least the bit that is used at work is androgynous, anyone who is thrown to be speaking to a woman instead of the owner of the light baritone has clearly not spoken to me before. This is useful.

I dislike the fact that the password is 9999 and on collecting about the 20th message of the day I forgot to hit the voice mail button... now as with most office networks you have to dial 9 to get an outside line..... The Brits at least will see where this is going....

Fortunately the operator accepted it was a mistake .....

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #140
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Semi-accidentally staying up too late. I always do it, and it's not nice because then the first half of the next day is spent sleeping, but I actually enjoy this and feel probably most creative at night, so no can do... and no, it's not more than 4am here yet, but I'm toying with the idea of writing to some RPG instead of going to sleep...
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #141
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlomien
Semi-accidentally staying up too late. I always do it, and it's not nice because then the first half of the next day is spent sleeping, but I actually enjoy this and feel probably most creative at night, so no can do...
Same here, except I don't regret staying up late. It's so much fun when your brain seems to function to it's uttermost limits.

Family reunions! It's so much fun to get together after so long of not seeing everyone, but you always have that one aunt, or uncle, that gets on everyones nerves (especially when you're together in the same house for a week). They always pull some prank that use to get their siblings mad when they were young, and then thing start going downhill from there!

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 08-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #142
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Semi-accidentally staying up too late. I always do it, and it's not nice because then the first half of the next day is spent sleeping, but I actually enjoy this and feel probably most creative at night, so no can do... and no, it's not more than 4am here yet, but I'm toying with the idea of writing to some RPG instead of going to sleep...
Same here. I love working at night. Usually during the afternoons I take long naps, which last until eight inthe evening, and from then on until five in the morning I'd be reading or working on a paper. Sometimes, I take my nap in the public transport on the way to the campus, and I miss my stop, which annoys the hell out of me. But then I couldn't sleep in my first class during Tuesdays and Thursdays, lest the professor metamorph into some hideous cross of a Balrog and an Uruk Hai and send me out of the classroom. Then again, nobody could sleep in his class anyway, given his darling disposition...

Another thing: gaia online. My, I think without it I would spend only a quarter of what I normally do in front of the PC--papers and reading online texts included. Damn that Fishing!

And I thought of something else. JRR Tolkien. I just couldn't resist rereading at the wrongest moments, like before exams. Beren and Luthien in particular. T_T

Legal Madness.

Last edited by Lindale; 08-08-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #143
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Getting soaked to the skin scampering about 30 yards to your car.

Being a raingoddess has its off days

Old 08-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #144
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Getting soaked to the skin scampering about 30 yards to your car.

Being a raingoddess has its off days
Well I was in Cornwall for the last week and it always rains there (It's August!).

That can go here too.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #145
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
When you take an instant, completely irrational dislike to a new acquaintance... and later it turns out you were right.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #146
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I will assign to Orthanc the beginning of school after 2˝ months of holidays...

It's great to be on vacation when you do not need to pay heed to the clock or any "civilised rhythm" of the society around you, but in the end it wears you down indeed, and it's nice to meet the students and colleagues after a long while for they are dear to me. But waking up at six o'clock is just impossible after you have woken up at midday the earliest for the last months... ... even if I can see it will do me good to get myself organised after the lazy summer...

I really love to hate it and hate to love it.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #147
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Well I was in Cornwall for the last week and it always rains there (It's August!).
I would say it didn't when I went there as child but I know it did - one year in particular we drove for about an hour to the nearest leisure centre which was about the only thing under cover. And I remember watching the rain drops trickling down the car windows which were steamed up from hot cornish pasties. But I also remember loving it and I can't wait to go back. So Cornwall can't go to Orthanc.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #148
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I will assign to Orthanc the beginning of school after 2˝ months of holidays...
Ditto. I haven't had a legitimate class since early April, and that was finals week. So really, it's been since March... The idea of sitting still for the duration of my classes is freaking me out a little.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #149
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I would like to assign a part-time job which involves working very early in the morning.

It's not a fun thing, but hey, getting off in the middle of the afternoon and still having eight or so hours off? It's like I'm doubling my weekend. And the several dead hours which I use to read don't go amiss either.

Plus, it almost seems to reset my internal clock and for a while, I can actually get to sleep.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #150
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
I assign, going to the dentist I know I have to but there is always that dread of going.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:31 AM   #151
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I assign reading through a couple of Book threads after not having the time or the enthusiasm to do so before and ending up with having a list of 17 reps I would like to give out while being unable to give any reps at the moment... It's a bit annoying but rather amusing too, and the threads were most interesting.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #152
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign reading the Downs until late at night (like right now) and thinking "Oh well, a night with only three hours of sleep won't kill me!".

I also assign my teapot, it doesn't hold nearly enough tea.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #153
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign my violin E string, which has snapped again for the nth time. Quite annoying, because sometimes the store where I get replacement strings don't have them. Oh and my violin recital a couple of weeks ago, where a very lovely mezzo-soprano sang a Kundiman while I played. She was magnificent, but when I looked at the audience I got a bit nervous and paused, but she still sang. Good thing I was able to catch up.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #154
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I assign reading the Downs until late at night (like right now) and thinking "Oh well, a night with only three hours of sleep won't kill me!".
Know how you feel!

Last edited by Eönwë; 09-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #155
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

The Boston T (or what others would know as the subway). When I first came to Boston, I loved how convenient public transportation is and the T is easy to use. But during my time in Europe, I must've gotten spoiled by some really good public transportation (particularly the Underground)...because while I still love the convenience of the T, there's a few things that annoy me that didn't before:

1) The sound the trains make...it resembles nails on chalkboard and makes you want to tear your ears out. For those who have used the T all their life...I don't know how they haven't gone deaf yet.

2) The inconsistency...one thing I loved about the tube was that I didn't have to wait long for a train. In Boston, I'll sometimes wait a few minutes and other times 25 minutes...there's no set schedule, or at least not one I can see.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #156
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I also assign Winter. It's terrible in Alaska. And frost too, killing all my lovely flowers before many have even bloomed. And my poor pumpkin! It will never ripen before the first hard frost.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #157
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
-The 1960's Batman starring Adam West

-Speaking of Batman, the 90's animated TV series

-I can't believe I'm going to admit this one, Tila Tequila. She makes anyone who watches her lose brain cells, but she's always on right when I want to go to bed, and no one knows how addicting that is.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #158
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

*googles*, Boromir, REALLY!

But I remember the early Batman with affection (though not from the Sixties !)

Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #159
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
-I can't believe I'm going to admit this one, Tila Tequila. She makes anyone who watches her lose brain cells, but she's always on right when I want to go to bed, and no one knows how addicting that is.
My God! Finally I found someone who admitted that. Every male I know has denied such things, when all along I know that they're too embarrassed to admit to such. XD

Legal Madness.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #160
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
-The 1960's Batman starring Adam West
Zowemjee. I spent like an hour last night talking to my father about Caesar Romero's Joker laugh. =Awesome.