The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #201
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Prank phone calls, especially those to politicians of foreign countries. (See here for reference: The Canadian Masked Avengers strike again.
Good job they're not in the UK or the Daily Mail would be calling for their execution

I assign something I should not really take pleasure in but I ruddy well DO. Namely the crestfallen faces of the Ferrari team yesterday as Massa briefly snatched victory and then had it snatched away again as Sir* Lewis Hamilton took the championship on the last corner. Oh that was sooooo good!

*Surely it can't be long????

I also assign referring to Bob Geldof as Sir Bobby Gandalf. It makes me chuckle evilly, heheh.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #202
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Politics.

Oh, how much fun it is to root for your favourite candidates and debate the issues....but at the same time, I hate how differing opinions can pull people apart.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #203
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Politics.

Oh, how much fun it is to root for your favourite candidates and debate the issues....but at the same time, I hate how differing opinions can pull people apart.
Seconded. I also hate being looked down on by some people and hearing comments like "But you wouldn't be as stupid as to think so, would you?" There are people I usually love to debate with, but differing opinions makes debating about politics impossible in the long run.

I assign loving people with problems. Being hurt again and again, having to worry about them, seeing them suffer and feeling you can do nothing about it - and still knowing that if not for me, they would be in much worse a condition.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #204
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I also hate being looked down on by some people
Quote:
and still knowing that if not for me, they would be in much worse a condition.
I third what you say Brinniel.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #205
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
*Surely it can't be long????
You do have a point.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #206
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ransacking a room looking for the wallet containing your passport, driving licence and E111 card and then remembering exactly where it is ...in a different room. I don't even need any of those items immediately but it is good to be prepared...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #207
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
David Eddings, or more specifically, his Elenium series.

It borders on chauvinism and racism, it's full of clichés, stereotypes, deus ex machinas and totally underestimates its reader.

But these days, if any book is able to make me take time for reading, it cannot be a bad thing.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #208
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
It's pretty much blizzarding snow and sleet right now, which is terrible...

But Girl Scout cookies are in and I discovered Thin Mints in my kitchen!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #209
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
The start of our second semester.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #210
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Singing.

Seeing drunken men walk straight into walls.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #211
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Good... erm... old-fashioned debate. Specifically when you're the only person taking your own side. Because every once in a while it's fun to argue, but when it's an entire class up against you and they all seem to have been personally offended by your dismissal of the greatness of an artiste? Yeah...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #212
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Good... erm... old-fashioned debate. Specifically when you're the only person taking your own side. Because every once in a while it's fun to argue, but when it's an entire class up against you and they all seem to have been personally offended by your dismissal of the greatness of an artiste? Yeah...
I think that sort of stuff belongs to the shire, I do something similar in my History-Method class. They don't get personaly offended, but my classmates do have a tendency to pad each other on the back and not really reflect over the issues.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #213
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
They don't get personaly offended, but my classmates do have a tendency to pad each other on the back and not really reflect over the issues.
They yelled at me (literally) and told me I was dead wrong and didn't know what I was talking about.

Hence Orthanc. I like debate, but not when people take it personally.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #214
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Pipe

Quote:
They yelled at me (literally) and told me I was dead wrong and didn't know what I was talking about.

Hence Orthanc. I like debate, but not when people take it personally.
I see your point. . . The worst I get is 5 people shaking their heads after I speak, they might laugh depending on how I present my case and then we go get coffee, tea, soda or beer depending on the time of day.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #215
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign vegetarians in school cafeterias who interrupt you eating your delicious quarter pounder (with extra cheese) to nag you about how you kill the cows because of it. I almost assigned this to Morder, but arguing with those guys is so much fun!

"Do you know that you're supporting innocent animals getting killed by eating that burger?"
*slightly annoyed I look at them* "Yep."
"Doesn't that bother you?"
"Nope."
"Don't you know what they do to those poor animals in the factories?"
"Nope, but I love the way they cook them."
"Haven't you ever heard of the four basic food groups? Try eating some salad!"
"Four basic food groups! I got your four basic food groups: whiskey, beans, bacon and lard!"

Too much fun! One almost feels guilty when they start turning purple.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #216
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I can quite understand also those people's point of view, but I admit it's always fun to argue with people who disagree with you on ethical issues.

I assign Jehovah's Witnesses. One came to my door today (for the first time in ages) and we had a nice little chat about God, religion and such. Unfortunately for her, I had read my Richard Dawkins well. In the end, the talk was quite enjoyable.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #217
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
All of a sudden feeling like fainting. Although I know that it means that something is wrong with me, I can't help being mightily amused by it.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #218
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
I assign vegetarians in school cafeterias who interrupt you eating your delicious quarter pounder (with extra cheese) to nag you about how you kill the cows because of it. I almost assigned this to Morder, but arguing with those guys is so much fun!
Oh, there are many vegetarians and vegans at my school. I could care less about people's diet choices as long as they don't get on my case about what I eat. I mean, hey I feel bad for the animals too, but I love meat too much to stop eating it (and besides, the cow's gonna die whether I eat it or not). As long as I don't hunt for my own food or see the animal I'm about to eat before it's dead, I'm fine. In fact, I prefer to pretend it's not an animal at all...then I can't feel guilty.

On another note, I assign Boston's weird weather. It's been oddly warm here for November (apparently it's 70F now and it's already after 9pm), and while I do love the warm weather, it just doesn't feel like mid-November. And tonight there are actually tornado warnings for the New England area. Odd...I didn't know we could get tornadoes around here...
Old 11-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #219
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post

"Do you know that you're supporting innocent animals getting killed by eating that burger?"
*slightly annoyed I look at them* "Yep."
"Doesn't that bother you?"
"Nope."
"Don't you know what they do to those poor animals in the factories?"
"Nope, but I love the way they cook them."
"Haven't you ever heard of the four basic food groups? Try eating some salad!"
"Four basic food groups! I got your four basic food groups: whiskey, beans, bacon and lard!"

Too much fun! One almost feels guilty when they start turning purple.
Whiskey, beans, bacon, and lard? That's funny, I seriously can't stop myself from laughing!
To think that people actually follow the rubbish food guidelines! That's just hilarious. I do like those four food groups though, Groin! Best I've seen!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #220
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The fact that snow melts. Right now, it makes me sad, but I will be gratefuul enough of it when spring comes. (That is, if there will be any snow to melt then... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #221
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Writing papers. On one hand I had fun arguing passive-aggressively to my chauvinist professor about how I "believe" that a certain sculpture is a direct reference to androcentrism in society...

On the other hand I still have two more pages before I can call it done, and then have two more papers to write.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #222
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Being ill at home. Being unwell and feverish is not nice, nor is missing things I have been waiting for such as the first choir practice in a few weeks, but there's something enjoyable in just being at home and having a good reason for not doing anything proper. Gah.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #223
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Of Beers and... Lindale

I was about to assign this to Mordor, when I thought the better of it. While my dad and I were having dinner and he was sipping his lovely San Miguel beers and I my non-alcoholic sparkling stuff, some girl approached us and asked us to try a new beer. Mountain silver something, brewed by the rival of San Miguel (which our family has always patronized). She seemed so pitiful my dad bought the beer, for me. And boy, was it the most awful beers I've ever tasted. I thought the Light variants of the regular beers were awful, tasting like they were diluted, but that was like drinking half a liter regular beer diluted in two liters water. But then again to be polite, and because it's almost Christmas, I pretended to like the beer all the same.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #224
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

San Miguel. . .It is one of the beers I have most fond memories of, though it is far from the best beer I have had. I guess it is because most of my San Miguel memories are from holidays in Spain, although now you can get it anywhere.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #225
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

It can't be called 'beer' unless you struggle to put it through a sieve*. San Miguel is lager to me.

*Give me some Theakstons any day....
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #226
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

and Theakston is an ale to me. . .

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #227
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Goodness me. I never thought our local San Miguel reached Europe! Most foreigners my family know think that San Miguel is Spanish, but San Miguel is one of the few things this little country can boast of.

But I've never tasted the dark beer. I assign that to Orthanc.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #228
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Yeah, most danes think it is spanish as well, I guess it is because it is one of the most popular beers down there.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #229
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril Snow!

I assign snow in Texas! *brrr* It has no business coming this far south, messing up everyone's lives and making everything icy! I wonder how those Yankees would feel if we sent the sun up to them in the middle of winter (not happening by the way, it's all ours and we are not sharing)? On the other hand I had my first snowball fight in years, even if it was for ten minutes, everything melted after the sun came out.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #230
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Aww. I'd give anything to see some real snow.

I assign the rains just outside my window. Couldn't do the laundry because of it, but that is just as nice as doing the laundry when the sun is at its peak.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #231
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Should have assigned this two days ago... better late than never...

Christmas food shopping.
It's quite funny the way everyone feels like they have to be self-sufficient until New Year's Day.
On the other hand, there are huge queues.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #232
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Conversations with people who don't realize you know more about the subject than they do. On one hand, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my interests, particularly during the holidays. On the other, it's always kind of depressing to realize I'm still smarter.

Oh god, that sounds so arrogant...
Old 12-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #233
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Conversations with people who don't realize you know more about the subject than they do. On one hand, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my interests, particularly during the holidays. On the other, it's always kind of depressing to realize I'm still smarter.

Oh god, that sounds so arrogant...
Not the way you say it, Fea...

The way I'd say it would be more along the lines of:

Conversations with people who don't realize you know more about the subject than they do. On one hand, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my interests, particularly during the holidays. On the other, it's always kind of depressing to realise they can't keep up with me.

That, my dear, is arrogant.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #234
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Instant noodles. It's so damn easy to prepare, add hot water and you're done, very convenient if one wakes up late and has to rush her brunch. But then again, my conscience tells me it's not a very good idea to rely on instant noodles for two big meals.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #235
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Instant noodles. It's so damn easy to prepare, add hot water and you're done, very convenient if one wakes up late and has to rush her brunch. But then again, my conscience tells me it's not a very good idea to rely on instant noodles for two big meals.
Ha! I know that. But you see, if you have just a few more things (like one egg, a bit of cheese, a bit of cabbage or something like that...), you can without almost no more effort and time make a meal which could be called "semi-perfect".
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #236
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Ha! I know that. But you see, if you have just a few more things (like one egg, a bit of cheese, a bit of cabbage or something like that...), you can without almost no more effort and time make a meal which could be called "semi-perfect".
During my life at the dormitory, all I ate was oats and instant noodles. I added veggies and all sorts of condiments to those, I even tried oyster sauce with oats (not recommended, it takes like hell), to make them more interesting. Oats with oyster sauce belongs to Isengard. Very interesting to make those, very hellish taste.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #237
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

The parking lot I walk through on my way to campus everyday, which is covered in large sheets in ice (and has been since Wednesday). It's rather dangerous and I'm surprised no one has bother to de-ice it yet with so many cars and pedestrians passing through. Then again, it's kind of fun walking on ice because I like to live dangerously.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #238
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Certain music... a lot of Cascada's music (most notoriously "Bad Boy"), or that "Boom Boom Boom" song - if only it weren't so catchy.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #239
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Amazon.com's free shipping on orders over $25. It gets me every time!

Spend three dollars on something intangible? Or spend seven more dollars and get an actual book?

It never fails...
Old 02-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #240
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Snow.

It's so purdy....

...until the wind picks up and decides to blow in your face.