The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
blantyr
Wight

blantyr is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narya Good thing I made it through the party scene...

I was around 12 years old. It was Christmas. I was looking forward to toys. My aunt gave me books, instead. Books! A series of three of them. Stupid aunt. My mother insisted I give them a shot.

It only took 30 years for me to wear them out, and have to buy a new set.
blantyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #42
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien I was 10

When I was 10, I saw a dramatised version of The Hobbit on a UK children's TV series called Jackanory, transmitted over 2 weeks and 10 episodes. I was impressed; as it was a nice mix of very well and less well-known actors of the time, Bernard Cribbins playing Bilbo Baggins.

While the effect of the dramatisation on me was significant, it was delayed; because it was two years later before I began to read the book. The occasion was my family moving house, me coming across a forgotten copy of The Hobbit, and eventually reading it to pieces. The rest, for me, is history...
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #43
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
I had the 1st and 3rd movies at home, and I had watched part of Fellowship, but I usually watched Disney or read Harry Potter instead. However, when the Return of the King video game came out, my neighbor bought it for her son and I would play it with him. (By which I mean get killed by the elephants). I liked the game, even though I was terrible, so I watched Fellowship and Return of the King all the way through. Since we didn't have The Two Towers, I read in in my freshman year of High School when I saw that my school library had it. Then I read Fellowship and ROTK, and I found TTT movie at a flea market, so I bought it and watched it.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #44
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thanks to Peter Jackson. Tolkien's books aren't much popular in my country like Harry Potter's are. I saw the movies in 2010-11, and wanted to read the books. And finally, I did read them. Hehehaha!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 AM   #45
King Naugladur
Pile O'Bones

King Naugladur has just left Hobbiton.
Me, too, was exposed to Tolkien via PJ's movies. I was 12 years old when the "Fellowship of the Ring" was released and I was so thrilled, that I went to the library and purchased the LOTR books, as well as "The Hobbit". Needless to say, I was hooked. Subsequently, I bought the "Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales". I remember myself n 2007 jumping up and down from joy about the release of "The Children of Hurin". What about you, guys?
King Naugladur.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #46
Orphalesion
Animated Skeleton

Orphalesion has just left Hobbiton.
I was very much into British fairy mothology (you know, fairies, elfs pookahs, brownies etc.) ab reading lots and lots of reference books about them. One of those reference books alluded to "Tolkien portraying the Elves as a tribe of beautiful, musical beings and the primary force of good in his Lord of the Rings trilogy" or something to that effect. So I asks my mother (who worked at a bookstore) if she would order the Lotr for me. Coincidentally that was like perhaps 1 or 2 years before the movies were released.
I was halfway through the Silmarillion before I saw Fellowship. Never was so disappointed in a movie.
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #47
Eowyn-of-Rohan
Newly Deceased

Eowyn-of-Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I got introduced to LotR when my parents watched the movies. I had nothing better to do so I decided to watch FotR with them. I was hooked from that point on. I immediately started reading the books and finished those within a few weeks. Then I decided to read The Hobbit and finished that in a day. I have been obsessed with Tolkien and Middle Earth since.
Eowyn-of-Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #48
TilloW
Newly Deceased

TilloW has just left Hobbiton.
My parents had read the Hobbit so I thought that I would try it. It's a great book so I thought read the sequels. They were great books so I read the Silmarillion. That was a great book so I read Unfinished Tales. Oh, and I've seen the movies in between.
TilloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #49
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
My father first read The Hobbit to me when I was probably around 5 years old, and I've been enthralled with Middle-earth ever since.

Today is his birthday, and the first since he passed this last March. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge that particular debt of gratitude.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #50
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I am surprised to discover I never replied to this thread (that surely means I replied to some similar once)--but, a decade or more on, it's certainly not too late.

I came to Tolkien by way of Narnia: my dad had both the Narnia books and The Hobbit and LotR on his shelf--he'd been into both authors in his college years. I was about 9 when, having exhausted Narnia and tired temporarily of rereading it, I decided to sample the thicker, darker volume with a dragon on front (a Methuen softcover featuring Tolkien's famous Smaug on the hoard illustration). I had read enough--I was a voracious reader then, as I can sadly no longer claim--to know that Tolkien and Lewis were friends, and I hoped it would satisfy the itch.

I'm not sure it, but the new itch reading The Hobbit opened up has never been satisfied. Naturally, reading The Hobbit led to reading The Lord of the Rings. I was definitely just a little too young to QUITE enjoy it, but I enjoyed more than enough that I came back to it again and again. I've guesstimated for the sake of putting numbers into Goodreads that I read The Lord of the Rings twice a year from then until the mid-2000s, but that number is probably low. When I finished it, I went back and restarted it. I devoured the Appendices.

Naturally, it was only a matter of time before I read The Silmarillion. It was difficult and required even more attention, but it clicked somewhere around the second or third reading (roughly when I sorted out all the Fin-s). That barrier broken, Unfinished Tales was smooth sailing. That exhausted my dad's collection, and I was now working the library system to get ahold of the HoME in the year or two immediately prior to the movies being released. I was not emotionally ready for those, which turned my private passion into something that just about everybody had an opinion about and seemed to think they knew (but really, said 14-year-old me, how dare they even say "Haldir is hot" if they haven't read The Lays of Beleriand or "The Sea-Bell"?)

Slowly the teenaged years passed and I found the 'Downs at the end of them, and I'd mostly leeched the need to "possess" Middle-earth as mine and mine alone out of my system. Just as well, since this website and the shared nature of the fandom has become, well, rather important to my life's story. (cf. the wife I met through the 'Downs and our nearly-year-old baby...)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #51
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
I watched the movies, and I took a shine to Frodo. Then I got LoTR and Silmarillion books, and I started liking Eowyn, Maedhros and Lomion, and the rest is history.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #52
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was a young science fiction fan and wanted to try fantasy. By reputation, The Hobbit was among the best. The other fourth grade class was reading it and I borrowed a copy. When I finished, I learned about the sequel and read that. The rest is history (and well-documented elsewhere).
Old 04-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #53
Barandiun
Newly Deceased

Barandiun has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe By you

I was introduced to Tolkien by TheGreatElvenWarrior. Since Tolkien is her life, and I am her partner, I had an obligation to read The Hobbit then Lord of the Rings. So we read the Hobbit together, then we read Lord of the Rings together. Right after then we watched all the Peter Jackson movies (extended versions.) I appreciate how unfamiliar I was with the plot and most characters because the read was always surprising and totally exciting.
Barandiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #54
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barandiun View Post
I was introduced to Tolkien by TheGreatElvenWarrior. Since Tolkien is her life, and I am her partner, I had an obligation to read The Hobbit then Lord of the Rings. So we read the Hobbit together, then we read Lord of the Rings together. Right after then we watched all the Peter Jackson movies (extended versions.) I appreciate how unfamiliar I was with the plot and most characters because the read was always surprising and totally exciting.
That is actually really cool. I don't remember not knowing what happens, so I'm curious about what your thoughts were reading through it for the first time. Do the cliffhangers actually work? Who do you cheer for the most? How do you imagine the characters? *hovers excitedly*

Also, on a similar note, may I suggest the Chapter by Chapter forum? A good place to post chapter-specific questions and impressions [which I personally love reading, hence the selfish moment].
Old 04-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #55
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, I was about 9 or 10, and read a lot (we didn't have TV). So I was a regular at our little post library, which had some wonderful books thanks to the way the Army had stocked them in the late 40s. These included leatherbound quarto 1st Editions of all the Baum Oz books, which I read through. Having run out of Oz, I asked the Librarian "Have you got anything else like that?" And so I went home with The Hobbit. This was a first-edition text, "false" version of Riddles in the Dark (with color plates including the eagle, ergo a 1st US printing, but sadly in library binding)- and also no ad blurb for the Lord of the Rings, so it was actually some time and many readings (and library fines) before I learned there was a sequel!

But eventually I did - from Marty Trinkle, the chaplain's daughter - and since the library didn't have the LR I went up to the Stars & Stripes bookstore and had Guni special-order it for me- the original Ballantine boxed set with the ghastly Remington covers.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #56
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
That is actually really cool. I don't remember not knowing what happens, so I'm curious about what your thoughts were reading through it for the first time. Do the cliffhangers actually work? Who do you cheer for the most? How do you imagine the characters? *hovers excitedly*
Believe me, the cliffhangers totally work when you don't know anything about the story. Do you know how hard it was for me to not spoil the whole thing? We've been in a relationship for six years, and we only finished reading through in February. Anyway, my favourite cliffhanger that totally destroyed Brandy was when Pippin gets crushed by the troll at the end of book v, and it was sure a surprise when he came into Frodo's room in Cormallen!
Old 04-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #57
Barandiun
Newly Deceased

Sting

Quote:

Also, on a similar note, may I suggest the Chapter by Chapter forum? A good place to post chapter-specific questions and impressions [which I personally love reading, hence the selfish moment].
Oh yes. It's totally exciting, not knowing what to think of Strider. Then learning more about who he is. Not knowing who it is when Gandalf returns as 'the white.' That's amazing. I wish I wasn't spoiled by popular culture that Gandalf the White exists. I would have loved the surprise of not thinking I would see him again. The most stressful parts were with and after meeting Shelob, not knowing about her two poisons. Not knowing what would become of Frodo and Sam. And worrying what would happen to Merry and Pippin the entire time the orcs have them.
Then watching Sméagol's transformation in front of Frodo's eyes. I never trusted him but there is so much anticipation wondering if he would betray them and what part he had to play in fate. I always wondered if I was going to be able to see what he could have been after the ring was destroyed.
I really rooted for the Hobbits. you can know how naïve they are. When amazing and frightening things happen, you can feel how unexpected must be when you only know just as much as they do.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #58
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That is amazing! I feel like reading the books for a long time doesn't make you like them less by any stretch, but you get excited about different things. It's really cool to hear again what it's like to read with fresh eyes. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 04-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #59
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
That is amazing! I feel like reading the books for a long time doesn't make you like them less by any stretch, but you get excited about different things. It's really cool to hear again what it's like to read with fresh eyes. Thanks for sharing!!!
It's been a few years since I read through last, and it was really great to rediscover the things I had forgotten about. I also made a point to not watch the movies for years so I wouldn't have all the inaccurate parts fresh in my mind. It really made this read through fun, and it was really special to read together.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #60
Barandiun
Newly Deceased

Quote:
A part of my message didn't come out. But what I meant to say was it's very suspenseful not knowing whether Gollum would try to steal the ring. And what else may he do and what exactly is his part to play in fate. Also thinking of how he would become as a person by the end.
I'm really glad you liked what I had to say. I haven't made many comments on the downs yet, and it makes my day that I made your day.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #61
Ring Bearer
Animated Skeleton

Ring Bearer has just left Hobbiton.
It was the "Riddles in the Dark" scene for me in the first Hobbit movie.

Read "The Hobbit" in the summer of either 2013 or 2014.
I still haven't read The Lord of the Rings--I intend to read them some day.

I do know about a lot of things from the book because of the Internet(and my brother).
I do not intend to read The Silm because it is just too long(and I have spent hours on the Fandom wikia reading about the characters and thus know that it is too time consuming and meaningless for me).
Old 07-24-2021, 07:49 PM   #62
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I have already posted to say how I was first introduced to Tolkien. And perhaps this should be a new thread, but I am curious.

For those of you who were first introduced to Tolkien via the movies, how did this affect your first reading of the books? Do you regret not reading the books first? And did reading the books affect your view of the movies?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #63
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I have already posted to say how I was first introduced to Tolkien. And perhaps this should be a new thread, but I am curious.

For those of you who were first introduced to Tolkien via the movies, how did this affect your first reading of the books? Do you regret not reading the books first? And did reading the books affect your view of the movies?
Excellent questions, Mithadan!
Old 07-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #64
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Excellent questions, Mithadan!
I'm interested in that myself!

I've searched inwardly at times, trying to see if I always prefer print to visual treatment, as I do with Tolkien. It seems it's often the case, but not always.

If others feel similarly, what sets the Professor's works apart?