The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Gondolin: Fiefdom of Angband

Another silly idea beget by fanfiction. What if Morgoth and Maeglin had succeeded in slaying Tuor and Earendil? I suspect that with Turgon dead, Maeglin would become the King of Gondolin in his own right, and it would become one of the strongholds under the control of Angband. Then they would go on to subjugate the rest of Beleriand under their thumb. With Morgoth's power/armies and Maeglin's cunning, they would succeed in this as well, and rule Beleriand jointly.

The reason Morgoth would allow this is because he finds a certain, shall we say, familiarity with Maeglin. They both desired that which they couldn't have, and turned to darkness in the attempt to claim it.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.

Last edited by Urwen; 05-23-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Another silly idea beget by fanfiction. What if Morgoth and Maeglin had succeeded in slaying Tuor and Earendil? I suspect that with Turgon dead, Maeglin would become the King of Gondolin in his own right, and it would become one of the strongholds under the control of Angband. Then they would go on to subjugate the rest of Beleriand under their thumb. With Morgoth's power/armies and Maeglin's cunning, they would succeed in this as well, and rule Beleriand jointly.

The reason Morgoth would allow this is because he finds a certain, shall we say, familiarity with Maeglin. They both desired that which they couldn't have, and turned to darkness in the attempt to claim it.
I don't know. Maybe Morgoth will kill Maeglin slowly, because he feels no gratitude or empathy towards those who serve him, and because it would be fun for him.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:07 AM   #3
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I don't know. Maybe Morgoth will kill Maeglin slowly, because he feels no gratitude or empathy towards those who serve him, and because it would be fun for him.
Ironically enough, this possibility thrills me.

It is said that Morgoth wishes to extinguish all life, and I suspect that doing this to someone who submitted to him willingly would be a thought that appeals to him.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.

Last edited by Urwen; 05-23-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote