The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #41
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Actually, if you still want an explanation, here it is: I feel inevitably inclined to sympathize with characters who had a chance to be good, but who became bad instead.
You could pretty much say that of every "bad" character though, couldn't you? Gollum, Saruman, even Melkor himself.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #42
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Details, details.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #43
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Actually, if you still want an explanation, here it is: I feel inevitably inclined to sympathize with characters who had a chance to be good, but who became bad instead.
A sentiment I can sympathize with. That is the essence of some forms of tragedy: a guy who could be good instead becomes bad (eg. Macbeth, Star Wars). And it's sad to see the character turn to the "Dark Side".

The bone I had to pick with you about Maeglin was not in this sentiment, but in what you did with it. For me, feeling regretful about the character turning bad is not yet reason to find ways to get around admitting they were bad; not a reason to excuse their behaviour, turn written facts on their heads, or run imlausible what-if scenarios. In essence, we don't disagree - just in outcome.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #44
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Except there is such a thing as a biased source. And it's not just me. Multiple people questioned the validity of this history as far as I saw (and one of them questioned it specifically when pertaining to him.)

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote