The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #41
mindil
Animated Skeleton

mindil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Well, unlike Men, Elves also wouldn't be in any particular hurry to look for the right someone, and they don't settle for an imperfect fit. Maybe they just didn't meet their better halves yet. Who knows, maybe a couple millenia later, in Valinor, they will get married too.
Considering that elves don't play around, and they think highly of "personal relations," it's no surprise that JRRT said they tried to marry young. Elladan's and Elrohir's multi-millennial bachelor lifestyle is very odd, by ME standards.

Maybe their constant chasing orcs is because they are frustrated for not having a married life?

Apologies, Urwen - this is part of my obsessing about all the missing female characters. I'm sure many of them were really there, and I'd love to know more about them. I wouldn't be surprised if Gimli was married, for example. Would be nice to know about her, too.
mindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #42
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
All Tolkien's known couples have the wife upstatus whenever possible
Not necessarily: Denethor, Theoden, Faramir all married at best on the level and probably slightly downhill. Elrond? Judgment call: a half-Elf marring a full Elf, but on the other hand Elrond is the great-great-grandson of a Maia. The "superior wife" business seems to have been an especial First Age thing, and I suspect that to a certain extent, given how early those stories were their essentials, that they reflect the traditional "hero gets the princess" trope, although in the event Tolkien would much broaden and deepen the implications of these interspecies marriages (which only ever were permitted as "matters of high doom")
Old 08-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #43
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindil View Post
I'm sorry. I'm sure I saw many threads that had lots of side topics. But I'm really aiming for your topic - unless by "obsessed" you meant "have a crush on." The character I've given the most thought to is indeed Legolas's mother. I don't think about her week-in, week-out, but when I think of Legendarium characters, I think of her and feel sorry for the bad reputation she's gotten from fanon.

I certainly didn't think I was shutting you or anyone out. You wanted to know who I thought about most, and I told you, and I'm happy to discuss that with you. Who do you think about most? Morthoron says you've mentioned him/her extensively, but I haven't hung out at the Downs much till recently, so I don't know.
Well, how would you feel if two people you know only talk to each and ignore you completely? This is the same thing. You are exclusively talking to each other and ignoring anything I have to say. Case in point: Huey totally ignored all my posts about Nellas and focused only on your latest post about her. Same with other.

If you want to talk about her, don't ignore everything I have to say about her. Because it seems to me like you lot only quote certain people and ignore everyone else.

/rant over

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #44
mindil
Animated Skeleton

I was totally replying to you. We were discussing the likelihood of Nellas being attracted to Turin. You said yes and gave a reason. I wrote why I thought that excerpt meant something else.

We all agreed with you that Melleth was a non-starter for Thranduil or Oropher.

Later Nellas was resuggested as a Queen of Mirkwood and you looked sad. We're all ready to keep discussing it back and forth, with you.

I really like the idea because it explains why Bilbo never saw her and why the palace was run as if there wasn't a woman in the house [a suitable 1930s concept]. It gives Legolas a classy mother with a fascinating history. It creates potential stories about personality clashes or meshes between Thr and Nel.

I'm happy to discuss it with YOU or anyone else, and I'm happy to get your better opinion of who Mrs. Thr. was.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #45
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Well, how would you feel if two people you know only talk to each and ignore you completely? This is the same thing. You are exclusively talking to each other and ignoring anything I have to say. Case in point: Huey totally ignored all my posts about Nellas and focused only on your latest post about her. Same with other.

If you want to talk about her, don't ignore everything I have to say about her. Because it seems to me like you lot only quote certain people and ignore everyone else.

/rant over
I don't have a "dog in the fight", but you can't expect a response to everything you post.

I couldn't say how many times over the years I've commented on something and no one seemed to have noticed.

Then again, that could be more a reflection of my less-than-scintillating personality.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:04 AM   #46
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I don't have a "dog in the fight", but you can't expect a response to everything you post.

I couldn't say how many times over the years I've commented on something and no one seemed to have noticed.

Then again, that could be more a reflection of my less-than-scintillating personality.

Then why can everyone else? I think it's unfair that some people get a response to everything they post and others don't. I think everyone should get equal treatment in that regard. If you don't want to respond to person A's every post, then don't respond to person B's every post either.

For instance, why did people respond to mindil's every post? Is it because they are new?

Old 08-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #47
mindil
Animated Skeleton

Mindil is a she.

And she is a professional editor in RL, among other hats.

I tend to get responses to my posts on a varieties of forums, not just LotR, and I assume it's from years of practice.

When I don't get responses, I get frustrated, and then learn from trial and error to get more next time.

Personally, I like your posts, Urwen. They are more personal than many others'. You give the feeling of there being a real person behind the screen name. Other members are more scholarly or informed, so the content of their posts can be quite interesting and appealing to nerds (I accept the title), and I'll happily discuss abstruse issues down a long thread far beyond the call of rational patience. But with you, there's someone who really cares about the answers. And that's a pleasure all its own.

So cheer up, I get the sense that the members all like you personally, whether they feel like replying to particular posts or not.

And I'm still game to hear who you are obsessed with. I couldn't get it from your links, since my server blocks links sometimes.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:24 PM   #48
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Case in point: Huey totally ignored all my posts about Nellas and focused only on your latest post about her. Same with other.
I would appreciate if you could reread the thread and retract this. My four posts on this thread have been replies to: mindil (starting the Nellas discussion), you ('Meleth loves Morleg'), you ('Nellas still loves Turin'), and WCH ('Nellas is probably dead'). I haven't actually replied to anything mindil said about Nellas, and the only posts of yours on the subject that I haven't replied to were your clarification of whose big brother you meant, and a quote showing that Nellas may have loved Turin (which I already agreed with in the third reply above).

I don’t really mind people mixing me up with other Downers, but when I get cast as the Case In Point Villain as a result, it's kind of upsetting.

To address the original question: mindil says she's obsessed with the missing women of Tolkien? I'm generally 'obsessed' with the women who are there but relatively undeveloped. Tolkien did a lot of sketching-in his woman characters, so we get fascinating glimpses of Haleth and her Amazons, Emeldir 'the Man-Hearted', and indeed Nellas the slightly-crazy Sinda. I love playing around to see what other information I can tease out about them.

(Incidentally, Urwen, I can't remember whether I ever mentioned my fanfic where Lady Haleth briefly gets lost in Nan Elmoth, but I have one.)

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:30 PM   #49
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I would appreciate if you could reread the thread and retract this. My four posts on this thread have been replies to: mindil (starting the Nellas discussion), you ('Meleth loves Morleg'), you ('Nellas still loves Turin'), and WCH ('Nellas is probably dead'). I haven't actually replied to anything mindil said about Nellas, and the only posts of yours on the subject that I haven't replied to were your clarification of whose big brother you meant, and a quote showing that Nellas may have loved Turin (which I already agreed with in the third reply above).

I don’t really mind people mixing me up with other Downers, but when I get cast as the Case In Point Villain as a result, it's kind of upsetting.

To address the original question: mindil says she's obsessed with the missing women of Tolkien? I'm generally 'obsessed' with the women who are there but relatively undeveloped. Tolkien did a lot of sketching-in his woman characters, so we get fascinating glimpses of Haleth and her Amazons, Emeldir 'the Man-Hearted', and indeed Nellas the slightly-crazy Sinda. I love playing around to see what other information I can tease out about them.

(Incidentally, Urwen, I can't remember whether I ever mentioned my fanfic where Lady Haleth briefly gets lost in Nan Elmoth, but I have one.)

hS

That's exactly it. You didn't respond to me pointing out that Nellas loved Turin.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #50
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindil View Post
Mindil is a she.

And she is a professional editor in RL, among other hats.

I tend to get responses to my posts on a varieties of forums, not just LotR, and I assume it's from years of practice.

When I don't get responses, I get frustrated, and then learn from trial and error to get more next time.

Personally, I like your posts, Urwen. They are more personal than many others'. You give the feeling of there being a real person behind the screen name. Other members are more scholarly or informed, so the content of their posts can be quite interesting and appealing to nerds (I accept the title), and I'll happily discuss abstruse issues down a long thread far beyond the call of rational patience. But with you, there's someone who really cares about the answers. And that's a pleasure all its own.

So cheer up, I get the sense that the members all like you personally, whether they feel like replying to particular posts or not.

And I'm still game to hear who you are obsessed with. I couldn't get it from your links, since my server blocks links sometimes.

I wouldn't say they like me. They don't like the fact that I am obsessed with Morleg, as stated in my signature.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #51
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
That's exactly it. You didn't respond to me pointing out that Nellas loved Turin.
Ah, but that's the beauty of it: she doesn't have to get over him for millennia. - - me, agreeing with that before you even posted a quote.

hS
Old 08-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #52
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Ah, but that's the beauty of it: she doesn't have to get over him for millennia. - - me, agreeing with that before you even posted a quote.

hS

What about after I posted the quote? You suddenly went silent after that. I wanted to have a back and forth talk about it with you...

Old 09-01-2020, 01:46 AM   #53
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
What about after I posted the quote? You suddenly went silent after that. I wanted to have a back and forth talk about it with you...
It sounds like you're taking my not replying to something you said to mindil, on a subject we were already in agreement on, as a personal slight. I'm sorry to hear that; I assure you it wasn't.

As it happens, I'd already pretty much checked out of the conversation after my second reply to you. I only ducked back in to make sure WCH didn't get the wrong end of the stick about the idea I'd raised re: Nellas.

I don't think I'll post in this thread again, but I will repeat my request that you recognise the sheer inaccuracy of this claim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
Huey totally ignored all my posts about Nellas and focused only on [mindil's] latest post about her.
Because it's still pretty upsetting.

hS
Old 09-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #54
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
It sounds like you're taking my not replying to something you said to mindil, on a subject we were already in agreement on, as a personal slight. I'm sorry to hear that; I assure you it wasn't.

As it happens, I'd already pretty much checked out of the conversation after my second reply to you. I only ducked back in to make sure WCH didn't get the wrong end of the stick about the idea I'd raised re: Nellas.

I don't think I'll post in this thread again, but I will repeat my request that you recognise the sheer inaccuracy of this claim:

Because it's still pretty upsetting.

hS
Oh, it's upsetting to you, isn't it? Well, it's upsetting to me that you refuse to have a back-and-forth conversation with me. I rather enjoy exchanging opinions with you in that manner.

But I guess it only matters to you when you're upset, not when someone else is. So if you want to recognize that you're upset, you need to recognize that I am upset too and why. Then we'll apologize to each other and move on.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #55
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Oh, it's upsetting to you, isn't it? Well, it's upsetting to me that you refuse to have a back-and-forth conversation with me. I rather enjoy exchanging opinions with you in that manner.

But I guess it only matters to you when you're upset, not when someone else is. So if you want to recognize that you're upset, you need to recognize that I am upset too and why. Then we'll apologize to each other and move on.
The irony here is that you spent several posts complaining that people weren't posting on-topic, and now you've added an entire non-topic soap opera on top of that. Hilarious.