The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #1
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting 'Obscure Character(s) you dislike most' by Sauron 666

Originally posted in the Books, but an error occurred in moving it here:

In part inspired by a recent thread, I was wondering whom you hold as the middle earth character(s) you dislike the most. However to make it more interesting I'd ask you not denote an obvious 'evil' character like Morgoth or Saruman, but someone less obvious. And please restrict yourself to a character from the books, if someone names Lurtz I'll scream
for my part I would nominate Radagast The Brown. Why? He strikes me as being cowardly and petty. Instead of aiding Gandalf in an important task, ie saving the world, when he had the chance, he just seems to be content to go talking with his birds. Therefore he seems pretty loathsome and pathetic to me.

#2 Sam Gamgee: A sheep with no sense of personal worth, dignity or self purpose. He just follows Frodo wherever with blind loyalty. I know he was essential to accomplishing the task but to me seems to lack any sense of individuality. To me he is the epitamy of slave morality and slave 'virtues'.

Anyone else?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

I think that I shall take your challenge. So, we can not mention Morgoth or Saurman. Well, if we can not mntion this two, I would suggest putting up the restriction that we may also not put Sauron down on our replies. Oh, and please, do not crize other people about what they say here. You may disagree, but please be kind and thoughtful to everyone who writes here. Oh, sorry if I sound like I'm taking over your post, Legolas, but I don't want anyone's feelings hurt. Now, let's get down to bussiness.

The person that I would say as being my least favorite character in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy would have to be Boromir. Now, I now that he eventually proved his worth adn fought to defend Merry and Pippin, yet we cannot deny the fact that he tried to harm Frodo and the ring from him. No matter how nice or wonderfully brave Boromir was at the very end of his life, I still do not like him, for I cannot get past this horribe treachery that he committed.

My second least liked character would have to be Lord Denethor, Steward of Gondor. Even from the being whenwe first meet the Lord in Gondor, I did not particularyily like him, for I had this odd feeling about this character of Tolkien. Another reason why I disliked him, is how Gandalf did not particuarily like him, for, as we all know, Gandalf did not like Grima Wormtongue, and he was right not to. Also, Denethor was, I thought, rather mean to Pippin, and his son, and should not have tried to burn himself and his son alive, for it does no good to despair, no matter how badly your life seems to be.

Well, those are two of my most disliked characters. What are everyone else's? Namarie.
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

The character that I dislike the most is Gandalf *ducks flying objects*. He may have been one of the most self-sacrificing and wise members of the Fellowship, but he did have a penchant for going off and getting himself captured or otherwise taken out of the picture, right before the other characters needed him the most. Honestly, did he HAVE to go visit Saruman? You'd have to be pretty thick to trust someone with fingernails longer than Galadriel's, especially if they're male.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #4
elenquesse
Pile O'Bones

elenquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elenquesse
Boots

I agree with Galadel, I particularly dislike Denethor, mainly because he was so darn cruel to Faramir, who proved to have a stronger willpower than his beloved brother. I myself live daily in the shadow of my immensely-intelligent Princetonian brother, and have been desperately trying to make a mark of my own. Second, I would name Pippin, that "fool of a Took". Although sweet and endearing, he does very little in the Quest other than help bring the Balrog out of the depths of Moria, foolishly wield the Palantir, and pledge himself to an ailing and otherwise crazed Steward. I can't recall if he did some other great deed in Minas Tirith, but generally speaking, he's rather naive.

I was surprised, Legolas, when you named Sam. He's one of my favorite characters, right behind Eowyn, but yes, it is kind of odd that he always addresses Frodo as "Mr.Frodo" or "Master" in the books. The point is that any other servant or slave would not embark on a hopeless quest for his master.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Well, one of the more obvious characters to dislike is at the top of my list: Gollum. But then it gets a little more obscure. I don't like Thingol, either, in fact, I find him just plain annoying, mostly because of his arrogance. And I agree with you, Legolas, about Radagast. I don't really have anything against him, per se, but as far as we can see he completely abandoned his mission and ignored the fact htat he could have been a great help in the War of the Ring and such.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I admit to disliking Tom Bombadil.

*hides with Finwe*

Tom Bombadil was colorful, but his constant "hey dol derry dol" routine got old pretty quickly as far as I was concerned. I don't think he was interesting enough to justify the number of pages devoted to him.

I have to defend Sam a bit. He was a servant of Mr. Frodo's, and a lot of his behavior was modeled on what was probably considered an "ideal" British servant. These days those notions seem antiquated and elitist, especially to us Americans, but in Britain a hundred years ago being "in service" was an honorable job and "giving satisfaction" to one's employer was a source of pride. Whether the class system was wrong or not and whether the servants were deluded or not wasn't something most people thought about then.

Cheers!
-Lily
Old 12-28-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
I was surprised, Legolas, when you named Sam.
Just to be clear, Legolas was reposting something originally posted by Sauron666. So the views are those of Sauron666, not Legolas.

For me it has to be Mim the Petty-Dwarf. Nasty, deceitful, unlikeable little fellow that he is.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
For me it has to be Mim the Petty-Dwarf. Nasty, deceitful, unlikeable little fellow that he is.
Ah, definately. There are very few characters that I truly dislike (I had to really think even to produce the two I posted above), but Mim is certainly one of them.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 PM   #9
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

For me it would be the King's Men in Numenor. They turned their backs from the Valar and prohibited people from speaking in the Elven-tongue. They were just jealous of the immortality of the Eldar, but in the end their own lives waned.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:13 PM   #10
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Elenquesse - oh, surely not Pippin! He saved Faramir, after all, and think of how things would have been if he'd been killed. And by looking into the Palantir - heck, even dropping the stone in the well - he brought about events which eventually turned out well. Things might have gone very badly if Gandalf had looked in the Palantir, and if he hadn't died at Moria and been reborn...well. Not that Pippin did those things *intentionally* but still, he was a handy tool of fate.

Have to agree with everyone who mentioned Mim - nasty little guy.

As for good characters that we dislike (I can't count Mim as good) I'll have to say Tom Bombadil, though a lot of that is due to having read "Bored of the Rings" and being unable to shake the image of Tim Benzedrine. Unworthy, I know. So my other candidate will be Ghan-buri-Ghan. I don't know why, but the Wild Men just left me cold, and he was irritating to read.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
So my other candidate will be Ghan-buri-Ghan. I don't know why, but the Wild Men just left me cold, and he was irritating to read.
Same here. Could it be because of how he speaks? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:21 PM   #12
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

There was that (what, they never heard of pronouns), but I don't think it was the only factor - Gollum is a bear to read aloud, and I don't dislike him (more than I should, I mean). I'd say it's more because the Wild Men just feel too much like a convenient plot device - it's hard to picture them actually having a coherent society and living their ordinary lives after the whole war is over. They always just seem to melt away, their plot-forwarding task finished.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Gollum is a bear to read aloud
Funnily enough, I found him a treat to read aloud when I read The Hobbit to my daughter. You can really go to town with him.

Quote:
I'd say it's more because the Wild Men just feel too much like a convenient plot device - it's hard to picture them actually having a coherent society and living their ordinary lives after the whole war is over.
But they do have a long and noble heritage, dating back to the First Age, when they were valued as allies (particularly against Orcs) by the Haladin. They even went to Numenor with the Edain (though they had the sense to leave before Ar-Pharazon's unwise venture to the West). Heck, they even have their own chapter in Unfinished Tales. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I find it hard to dislike "good" characters. But Tom Bombadil comes pretty close. All that "merry dol" stuff does nothing for me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2003, 10:53 PM   #14
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

1420!

Saucepan - maybe I should amend that. Gollum is OK in small doses - "Riddles in the Dark" etc. I was thinking more of reading looong sections of TTT out loud - Gollum gave me a sore throat faster than all the other characters combined, yes, he did that to poor Kalimac, yes he did, Precious!

As for the Wild Men - they've definitely got a history. They just always felt more insubstantial to me than all the other groups; can't explain it really, just a feeling.

Full agreement about Tom Bombadil - ring-a-ding-dillo sing-song got a bit old. (And the parody was wicked).
Old 12-28-2003, 11:34 PM   #15
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I must agree with all the statements towards Tom he just wasn't needed in my mind.

Along that line Prince Imrahil didn't do much for me, perhaps I need to read more but he seemed rather thrown in and I dont like when main characters are thrown in. (Arwen could have shown up [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

Also Radagast wasn't great for prior stated reasons.

(sorry i didnt have a ton to add to this topic its rather late)
Old 12-29-2003, 12:05 AM   #16
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Quote:
Gollum gave me a sore throat faster than all the other characters combined
Ah, I see what you mean. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2003, 07:27 AM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dislike Tom Bombadil. He didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the story. Plus the yellow boots gave me nightmares.

I also dislike Gandalf. There's something about him... I'm not sure what, but it seems like he's rather arrogant and self-important.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:15 AM   #18
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I dislike Sam too - well, not really 'hate' but a mild annoyance at his servile ways and mostly at his 'jokes'. I groan when he's supposed to be funny. I almost prefer Gollum to him - on second thought, I definitely do, Gollum is much more interesting and funny!

As for another - it would have to be Arago-- ** splash go the rotten tomatoes **. Really, he strikes me as the sort of ambitious and arrogant type of fellow who does everything for a purpose, as if it all were a means to an end. Only at the end, with the Houses of Healing scene, my very cool feelings toward him sort of melted. Weirdly enough, though I don't quite like Viggo Mortensen, the movie Aragorn was more likeable to me.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:14 PM   #19
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
As for another - it would have to be Arago-- ** splash go the rotten tomatoes **. Really, he strikes me as the sort of ambitious and arrogant type of fellow who does everything for a purpose, as if it all were a means to an end.
Although I don't strongly dislike any character, I have to agree with you about Aragorn. I don't hate him or anything, but he does seem a bit too perfect. I just want him to do something wrong or to show a flaw, something little would do, like tripping over.

Radagast seemed slightly pointless to me. He was a bit of a wimp and didn't do anything to help when he really should have. The one time he did help it wasn't really intentional.

I'm afraid that I quite like Tom Bombadil. I'm re-reading the book at the moment and I'm on 'the house of tom bombadil'. The weirdness of him, and his songs make me smile. The rhymes and nonsense are wonderful, I think.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #20
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Tom Bombadil always annoyed me. He just seems so out of place in the story. Granted, reading Bored of the Rings before and getting the image of Tim Benzedrine stuck in my noggin didn't help matters. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2003, 11:44 AM   #21
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I never expected anyone to dislike good ole' Gandalf. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I've always had a strong affinity for him. His relationships with the hobbits has always touched me. But hey, to each his own, yes? I just never expected it, is all.

If we were including The Hobbit in this thread, which I don't think we are, I would definitely say Thorin Oakenshield. Ever since I was little, I've severely disliked his surly attitude and bossy ways.

If I had to name someone from LOTR, I'd have to say Grima Wormtongue, as predictable as it is. There's nothing I hate more than a slithering, foul snake. And that's exactly how I view Grima. He was bent on corrupting the king.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #22
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar
Wight

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Huh? Aren't we including all of ME, in all the ages?

As for me, I would say Elrond. However, seeing the movies might have twisted my view of him a little. However, he always seems to sure of himself, and I never liked him in the hobbit, for some reason.

No, im not turin. Or tuor. Or anyone. I am not!
Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:01 PM   #23
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron 666, your implication that Sam's character was imbued with "slave virtues" seems to me to be absurd. Had Sam waited on Frodo throughout his life as he did on the Quest for Mount Doom, it might have been different, but he didn't. Sam simply showed bravery, extremely loyalty and personal sacrifice in the face of danger, more for the sake of the ultimate purpose of the Quest than for any other reason. The fact that it was his best friend, whom he loved dearly, who happened to be his companion and the sole appointed Ringbearer, made it all the more poignant, but I am sure that Sam would have acted with the same courage and sacrifice for any other member of the Fellowship - or, for that member, any of the other Free Peoples of Middle-earth - if they were allotted the duty of destroying the One Ring and he were chosen as their companion. The virtues he displayed are virtues that every one of us should have at need.

But still, opinions are opinions, I suppose.

I second Saucepan Man's nomination of Mim the Petty-Dwarf as the most unlikeable obscure character in the works of Professor Tolkien. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Good thing Hurin gave the treacherous rascal his due.

Cheers,
Angmar
Old 12-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #24
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

I have two. The first is Tom Bombadil. He got old really fast and the "Hey dol merry dol" is really annoying. Other than that he bothers me. A lot.

The other is Treebeard. I don't know what it is - but I don't like Ents. They annoy me for some reason.

There have been really interesting choices here. Mim - I had forgotten about him - is deceitful and crafty, and I understand choices like that, but I was really surprised by Aragorn and Sam. They are two of my favorite characters.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #25
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

I have noticed a flaw in this thread: In the title it says 'Obscure' characters, but Sauron 666 goes on to talk about Sam as one of his least favorite. Sam, Aragorn, Treebeard and Tom Bombadil (to name a few that have been mentioned) are not obscure and thus discussion of one's dislike of these characters would probably be suited for Your 5 Worst Characters or another similar, equally redundant thread.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:21 PM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 12-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #26
Angadraug
Animated Skeleton

Angadraug has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well some of the characters that got on my nerves had very small roles. I hated the Sackville-Bagginses, especially Lotho. I also didn't like Radagast much. He didn't do much of anything for anybody.

As for Gandalf I loved his character for everything he did, like organizing the entire thing, but in my opinion wizards like him should have more power. If you think about it he radiated light and was just very knowledgeable. I think my view's of wizards might just be a little different than Tolkien's.
Angadraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #27
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

You don't like the subtle-of-mind, quick-to-wrath-and-mirth, mysterious wizard of unknown origin, eh Angadraug? I can see how one might think that. After all, wizards are supposed to dramatically chant spells and make flames rise from boiling cauldrons. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I agree about the S.-B.'s, although Lobelia redeemed herself for me in the end. Has anyone mentioned Ghan-buri-Ghan? He didn't seem too useful to the flow of Return of the King, though I can't say I have anything against him personally.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:36 PM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 12-30-2003, 02:26 PM   #28
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Fingon. His name always kept mixing me up, between Finrod, Finwe, Fingolfin, and all the other "fin-"s. What did he do that was important, anyway?

And that Feanor, he always seemed like an unimportant addition. It seems like Tolkien must have just liked the name, so he made up this little guy that did nothing and had absolutely no effect on the plot at all. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Iarwain
Old 12-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #29
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Feanor? Who's he?
Old 12-30-2003, 02:48 PM   #30
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Quote:
Feanor? Who's he?
Lol - but hey, Feanor is pretty cool, you have to admit. Without him and his sharp tongue and fiery temper it would have been one boring Arda.

And I remember that another character whom I strongly dislike (he's obscure in terms of amount of time devoted to him in the book but not significance) is Elrond, and I'm glad I'm not alone in this. All this talk about him being the wisest, and I really didn't see much evidence in support of this.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:16 PM   #31
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Well, people thought Elrond seemed more wise before the release of the movies. Re-read the part of the Fellowship of the Ring in the Rivendell parts, and try not to think of him as the grumpy, monotonous, entirely un-Elvish Agent Smith, and maybe you will feel more warmly about the character of Elrond Halfelven.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:43 AM   #32
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

I used to think the same about Elrond even before the movies came out. And his Agent Smith appearance ruined it for me totally; I can't read the book without conjuring in my mind his movie personna, though I don't really have the same problem with other characters.I don't think I'll ever be able to like Elrond...Oh, well, he's got one fangirl less... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2003, 10:00 AM   #33
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I luckilly can *phew*...though with Haldir I have to be careful not to get his movie man's giant nose and drawl into my head. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I like obscure characters. They rock...possibly becasue they're obscure! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:01 PM   #34
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The master of Laketown, from The Hobbit. Did he have a name? (It's been a long time since I read it.) I never really liked Bard, either. I haven't read the Silmarillion that much (though I disliked Turin-don't kill me!), and the ones I hate in LOTR are obvious and not obscure. I have every intention of rereading The Silmarillion after I finish LOTR again. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2003, 01:23 PM   #35
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Absolutely: Lindir from Rivendell. "Mortals have not been our study; we have other business."

Well, excuse us.

His one line of elvish snobbery has raised his arrogance to immortality.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:22 PM   #36
Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Pile O'Bones

Nienna, sister of Feanturi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nienna, sister of Feanturi Send a message via AIM to Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Sting

I've always had an unreasonable dislike of Haldir, I'm not sure why. Maybe the film version put me off.
I don't know if they really count as obscure, but Oin and Gloin annoy me, probably becuase their names remind me of the sound of a person with constipation on the loo...
Quote:
it would have to be Arago-- ** splash go the rotten tomatoes **. Really, he strikes me as the sort of ambitious and arrogant type of fellow who does everything for a purpose, as if it all were a means to an end
I agree, I can't stand him! He's so full of himself, and he doesn't really love Arwen if he did how could he ask her to give up her immortality for him? He just saw her in a grove one day and thought "Ooh, she's pretty". And when Gandalf dies, he says "You know I did warn him not to enter Moria" or something of that sort- he just has to take the credit even though his friend's just died...
I like Ghan- Buri -Ghan although I have to agree about Bombadil. And those Ents go on forever. I preferred them in the film version.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:58 PM   #37
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've always disliked Denethor. [Hides from stalkers] He reminds me of an insane pyro. He didn't listen to what anyone else said and refused to believe about the city he was in charge of being on the verge of destruction; he just stayed in his own little bubble of fire. He needed a good slap on the face by reality.

Celegorm was also a bit of a nuisance. Trying to steal Beren's love! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Last edited by Rilwen Gamgee; 09-27-2004 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Helping Aragorn up after watching him trip.
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:08 PM   #38
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Sting

Please, no more discussion of Aragorn - not only is he a completely un-obscure character, but the criticisms I have heard of him have been entirely unjustified.

"...he doesn't really love Arwen if he did how could he ask her to give up her immortality for him?"

First of all, it cannot be suggested that Aragorn did not love Arwen because, according to Tolkien the creator of Middle-earth, Aragorn did, in fact, love Arwen. Secondly, he certainly did not ask Arwen to give up her immortality for him, nor would he have. She made the choice for herself.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:40 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 12-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #39
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Treebeard? Treebeard? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Well, why don't we just add Merry and Pippin to the list eh? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

(apologies for that outburst, but Treebeard just has to be the best character in the history of literature)

As for Mim the Dwarf, I think the little guy's getting a bit of a hard time here. Consider his situation. A bunch of Men come along one day, kill his son and take over his home. He betrays them eventually (though only to save his own life) and is then killed by another Man. A sad story I think.

So who gets my vote? Saeros (I am surprised no-one has mentioned this chap yet). Now there's a nasty piece of work.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:15 PM   #40
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
What did he do that was important, anyway?
Fingon? He was the one who was best friends with Maedhros and rescued him from Thangorodrim. (Don't be amazed that I remember this, I looked it up yesterday, because I couldn't remember what he did, either).

Quote:
Absolutely: Lindir from Rivendell. "Mortals have not been our study; we have other business."

Well, excuse us.

His one line of elvish snobbery has raised his arrogance to immortality.
I have to agree with you there, mark12_30. That's pretty much what I think every time I read that part.

Wow. I thought there weren't many I didn't like, but now I'm remembering more. Saeros- definately. Celegorm, Curufin, Caranthir- all baddies. Maeglin, Eol- don't like them, either. It just goes to show that there are evil elves, after all!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:24 PM January 01, 2004: Message edited by: Luthien_ Tinuviel ]