The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #1
willkill4food
Animated Skeleton

willkill4food has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to willkill4food Send a message via AIM to willkill4food
Sting Scene(s) you most want to see (done right) in RotK

With the release date of RotK approaching, and the trailers now on everyone's HDD, our thoughts now turn to what part of the movie do we most want to see, or the part of the movie you most want to see done exactly like in the book...<P>For me I most want to hear Galdalf saying "The darkness has begun. There will be no dawn." just because that is one of my favorite quotes by Gandalf, and it provides a perfect introduction to the battle to come...<P>I also most want to see the battles done right (not like the 300 vs. 10,000 TTT mess), I want to see Osgiliarth fall, Faramir be saved by Gandalf, then see the outer wall fall, the siege of Minas Ithil, the charge of the Rohan, the landing of Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and the rest, and then of course the attack on Mordor...<P>and if PJ sends in some more Elves, or cuts out any more characters (I am still hurting over the fact that Prince Imrahil is not in RotK) then I will Gather my forces and write a rant so grand in splendour that one like it will not be seen for a thousand years and one like it hasnt been seen since the host of the Valar went against Thorogrondim...<P>-willkill
Old 11-25-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
White-Hand

I'd be cautious in expecting too much. Besides the few flaws you mentioned (which I'm not so violently against as you and other are), Peter Jackson has done a really great job in my opinion, but if you set your standard low, you'll be surprised. <P>Did you read my huge summary of how I think the movie will go? I think everyone can agree it is fairly accurate to what we'll see.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:58 PM   #3
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Peter Jackson has done a really great job in my opinion, but if you set your standard low, you'll be surprised. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Quite true, that's why I'm trying to remane nuetral about all spoilers (one I'm better with) so my mood can shift only slightly either way. <BR>Yes, Knight of Gondor, I've seen your summery, and it's impressive. The point is, which of those scenes would like to see well done. <BR>Me and my dad have agreed ("we, have agreed") that we would like to see Sam searching the tower for Frodo, using the Ring once or twice, and the orcs run in fear because <I> there's an Elf lord in the tower.</I> Wouldn't that be great? It's only a short scene, surely they could fit it in.<BR>The scene I want done well is when Frodo is presumed "dead". I want to hear my buddies cry over that one. <BR>See you later!<BR>~M
Old 11-25-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have high hopes about the palantir scene with Pippin after several spoiler photos I've seen, but one scene I think that cannot possibly live up to the image in my mind is Pippin's last thoughts at the Battle at the Gate of Morannon, as he lay crushed under the troll and he hears "The Eagles are coming..." I just think that one is too internal to be depicted on screen, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see it! Also I want to see Frodo say "Well, this is the end, Sam Gamgee," and see the look on his face at that moment...<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:09 AM   #5
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Two of the main scenes that <B>MUST BE</B> done right in my book are <B>Mt. Doom</B> and the <B>Grey Havens</B>...<P>I hope for the best where all the scenes concerned but I reslly hope to see these scenes played out just <I>right</I>!<P>
Old 11-26-2003, 02:49 AM   #6
Shire Flower
Pile O'Bones

Shire Flower has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I want to see the suspenseful Morgul Vale scene when Frodo sees the Witch King at the head of the army and is tempted to put on the ring. It would be cool if it was done exactly like in the book, with Frodo having a flashback to Weathertop when he sees the Witch King.... the struggle with the ring.... and when he breaks down in tears because he thinks Faramir and his men are going to die (as well as everyone else in Middle Earth).<P>I would also like to see Sam contemplating suicide when he thinks Frodo is dead. I hope those scenes show the despair Sam is feeling and put the viewer in his shoes, err, hairy feet. <P>Eowyn and Merry killing the Witch King... I hope that scene is done really well, and the dialogue true to the book. I wonder how/if they will show the ringwraith's sudden sense of doubt when he discovers Eowyn is a woman.<P>I hope that Sam's vision of everything blowing up after the ring is destroyed is sufficently dramatic. It's an awesome grand finale to the quest!
Shire Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 05:47 AM   #7
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and if PJ sends in some more Elves <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would put my mortgage on elves being at pellenor and the black gates. he can't back down now.<P>things that must be done right.<P>1/ Merry MUST stab the witch king before eowyn slays him<P>2/ Gollum MUST fall into the cracks of doom. No push by frodo or sam. we do not need any heorics here. this is the point of the whole story. It is about REDEMPTION not herosim at the very end. The quest was fulfilled because they had pity for Gollum and let him live. If he changes this at all, then it will ruin the whole trilogy for me.<P>3/ they MUST use the lines from the book at the grey havens. af course they'll no doubt add a few in!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

éowyn and the ringwraith. if they mess up this scene i'll get furious....my fave one in the whole book!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

I'm already upset that they're killing off Faramir . . . <P>I really hope they do the Paths of the Dead scene well. That scene always creeped me out when I was reading it- I couldn't be alone in a room! I hope it'll be even scarier in the movie and not just . . . fake looking.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:58 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm already upset that they're killing off Faramir<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not exactly sure where people have heard this rumour, but I'm reluctant to believe it. I didn't exactly see Faramir's character change coming in TTT, but I hardly think that PJ would kill off a mainish character of the importance of Faramir. Perhaps it'll be another one of those accursed fake-deaths?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 08:40 AM   #11
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'm sure I read somewhere that they filmed faramir's wedding with eoywn?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:13 AM   #12
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Sting

A recent Newsweek article said that in the movie, Faramir leads a suicide mission to prove his worth to his father. I think they <I>did</I> film the wedding, but decided to cut it, or something. Then again, it could be a rumor- that's what I'm hoping, anyway
Old 11-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shield

OK, let's put this little rumour out of its misery before it goes any further.<P>"Suicide mission" is an expression used to refer to a mission that it is exremely dangerous and quite likely to result in the death of those who undertake it. It does not mean that all such persons will automatically die on the mission.<P>So, it does not follow from the fact that Faramir is sent on a "suicide mission" by his father that he actually dies. Indeed, there are many shots of Gandalf riding out to "rescue" Faramir and his surviving troops on their return from this mission.<P>I have seen nothing to suggest that Faramir dies at any other point in the film. Indeed the only other Faramir "spoilers" that I have seen suggest that he is rescued from his father's pyromaniac plot by Pippin and Gandalf, as in the Book.<P>So I think that this rumour really is no more than that: a rumour with no grounding in fact.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:46 AM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not looking for anything in particular to be 'done right'. I just want it to be good full stop. Obviously, I'm looking for very good shots of Denethor, but not much else.<P>I would have liked to have seen Faramir and Eowyn's wedding. I'm a little doubtful now over whether PJ will give the couple enough screen time to establish a proper relationship, but I'm sure he'll get something put in right, and the rest should be on the extended version. So no worries there.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:08 AM   #15
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Oh, phew- I'm glad to hear of that! <P>I'm also afraid that PJ won't give Faramir and Eowyn enough screen time to establish a relationship between them, or else that he'll make it too 'Hollywood'. At any rate, I'm willing to wait until the movies come out- three weeks to go!
Old 11-27-2003, 10:59 PM   #16
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Visual Companion to the Return of the King has a picture of Aragorn healing Faramir in the Houses of Healing, so that should put the "Faramir dies" rumor to sleep permanently.<p>[ 12:01 AM November 28, 2003: Message edited by: Elladan and Elrohir ]

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #17
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Faramir leads a suicide mission to prove his worth to his father<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was about to post pretty much those exact words, but Saucepan Man did it for me. A suicide mission doesn't mean he has to die. Heck, the whole battle is a suicide mission, Aragorn & Theoden rode out with what was left of their company at Helm's Deep on a suicide mission, neither died. Shouldn't be taken as fact...& I'm quite glad that, according to E&E, the rumour has been pretty well laid to rest .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:22 PM   #18
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really can't wait to see the Paths of the Dead, the battle of the Pelennor Fields, the Black Gate and the crowning.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:31 AM   #19
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I personally want the whole Mount Doom sequance done well. Just when they enter the mountain and come to the fire...you know! It's got to be good, that's all. And I hope the Denethor/Pippin scenes come out well. I've always had an image in my head of a huge throne, and then Denethor sitting beside it in the shadows.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #20
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I am probably going to start some squabbles by bringing this up but what is with Arwen getting sick? Yes yes I know this part is not in the book and many here will say that it shouldn't be in there but honestly I don't care for all I want is opinions on how and why she got sick. In the photo guide it says that only the death of Sauron can save Arwen. Does this have anything to do with Elrond saying "You gave away your life's grace, I cannot protect you anymore"?

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #21
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I want to see Sam searching the Tower for Frodo, and the orcs running from the "elvish warrior". Although I don't hold out much hope for it, it would be nice to have Sam sing <I>'In western lands...'</I> just before finding Frodo. <P>And I want to see Sam <I>carry</I> Frodo up the lower half of Mt. Doom, then both of them crawling up the slope to the Road, and then Sam carrying Frodo again. I want Gollum to <B>fall</B> into the Crack of Doom, and <B>not</B> be pushed or tripped by Frodo or Sam. <P>I want The Grey Havens sequence to remain fairly true to the book. I want Sam to say "and I can't come". I want Frodo to say my sig (or something pretty close to it). I want Merry & Pippin to show up at the last minute, so Sam doesn't have to ride home all alone.<P>Overall, I've been really pleased with the films. I've loved these books for almost 40 years, and while there have been favorite parts that were left out or changed, and new stuff added, I'm happy with what I have. No one can make a movie (or 3 movies) of a book that has been read, re-read and loved by millions of people around the world, and manage to please everyone. And, let's face it, these films were not made <I>just</I> for long-time Tolkien geeks. They are commercial films designed to appeal to people who have never read the books. And they do appeal to them...many people who saw and enjoyed the films are now fans of the books. There are plenty here on the Downs like that. And while I'll be disappointed if the things I mentioned above are not included or if they're not <B>exactly</B> the way I'd like them to be, I <I>will</I> get over it, and be eternally grateful to Peter for bringing Middle Earth and its inhabitants to life.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 AM   #22
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Although I don't hold out much hope for it, it would be nice to have Sam sing 'In western lands...' just before finding Frodo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>That would be excellent. The tune they had on the bbc radio version of this was beautiful. I can't see it happening either, I think it's one of the key scenes of the book, but Jackson may think otherwise.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:06 AM   #23
pandora
Haunting Spirit

pandora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The third book is hard. The temptation is to focus on the battles but in a way they are pointless: if Frodo succeeds then the worst that can happen is that Minas Tirith is lost for a while, while if Frodo fails then nothing will save the entire world. There's more to it in that we want the characters to survive to the new dawn but over all the battles are insignificent in the face of Frodo and Sam's quest.<P>So the key to the final book is characterisation: Gandalf and his roles with Denethor and Saruman; Sam, Frodo and the massive burden they carry; the overthrow of Sauron and the resulting joy; and most of all, the final downfall of Saruman and the denial of his entry into the west while Frodo is allowed to go. This last part establishes the real context of everything that went before it: it does all mean something in a bigger picture and the world is not alone.<P>Since none of this is likely to be in the film I'm not going to bother seeing it but I think those things, not the battles, are the real heart of the last book.<P>It would also be nice if an epilogue took us right through to the death of Aragorn and the final passing of the Fellowship but I'd have been surprised if anyone, let alone Jackson, would have been able to get that into a commercial Hollywood film.
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #24
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I want to see the pain that Sam and Frodo must endure to make it up Mount Doom.<BR>I want to see Faramir become a valiant war hero, not a skulking wimp like he was in TTT.<BR>I want to see Sam enter the tower to rescue Frodo and sing(although I doubt that they would do that).<BR>I want to see a relationship grow between Faramir and Eowyn, although the time constraints, I fear, will leave not much time for that.<BR>There's lots more of stuff that I want to be able to experience on the big screen, but too much for me to post right now.<BR>Also I would like to see the Scouring of the Shire. unfortunately, they will not be having that. <BR>I was looking forward to the part in the Scouring when Frodo has the chance to kill Saruman, but doesn't, saying that he was wise once. That really sucks that they can leave out something as important as all that.<P>I have so far been impressed with the job PJ has done with the movies, although of course there is much room for improvement, and I would have done thing much differently. But I don't think that I will ever have the chance to, so I will have to be satisfied with what I can get. <BR>Only a few weeks left....
Old 12-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #25
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I really want them to make sure that they tie up all the loose ends and don't leave everybody hanging. It's going to be different from the book, as much as I hate typing this, but since they messed up TTT, they have to fix it somewhat. They need to do whatever's necessary to finish the story, first of all (within reason, of course )<P>Other than that, they have to get Shelob right! She has to be absolutely TERRIFYING! Not hard to do with me, I'm horribly scared of them, but still...I mean, the spiders in the 2nd Harry Potter evoked no feeling whatsoever! <P>Also, Eowyn and the Witch-King can't be messed up. I love how Eowyn reveals herself, and Merry's, well not really horror, but he's really upset, and, oh, this description is NOT working out! You know what I mean (I hope ) If not, PM me.