The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #3121
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Aww but because of things like this, Frodo and Sam managed to escape the orc troops!
Which is quite a bad thing from the orc perspective.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #3122
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Co-workers who have the magical prowess to catch a stomach flu in less than a night, in order to avoid a busy morning shift.
Just a tad envious that the planets were not aligned and the magical flu didn't pay me a visit at work last night.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #3123
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Physics lab reports. Need more writing than essays for English class. Take a page from chemistry, physicists - you don't have to write three pages explaining how to mix two solutions together! Why do you want that amount of writing for something simpler and much more basic, that doesn't even require any special knowledge or terminology?

Also, getting your email inbox spammed by a spammer that doesn't even advertize anything . The message is always asking me to add the person on facebook or messenger, but the person's name and screenname change regularly. So does the wording of the email and the email itself. Which makes filters kinda useless...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #3124
Saurondil
Animated Skeleton

Saurondil has just left Hobbiton.
Genetically modified food. If Yavanna had meant us to have GM food, she would have produced it.
Saurondil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #3125
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
Having to share a room with a sister who doesn't go to bed for hours after I do. She always wakes me up, then I spend FOREVER trying to get back to sleep.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #3126
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fangirl geek misery. Being Human has just finished for ever on BBC3 and I actually feel a bit empty and miserable about it. Lord forbid how I'd feel if Doctor Who was ever pulled...
Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #3127
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurondil View Post
Genetically modified food. If Yavanna had meant us to have GM food, she would have produced it.
No offence, Saurondil, but... what does that mean?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #3128
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
The Burger King down my street. Generally, BK isn't too bad, but the one in my city is TERRIBLE!!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #3129
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Floods, even though they should rather belong to Orthanc (they have their own experience with floods there, after all, and Mordor might welcome a little water here and there, but that's more akin to Sam's wish that the snow from Caradhras goes to the Shire). But the mess they make is definitely something Mordor would deserve (and the Nazgul in it would appreciate, too).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #3130
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The unerring ability of "holidays" to be so much more hectic and stressful than the rest.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #3131
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hypertension.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #3132
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Snow and ice, especially when no one saw it coming.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #3133
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Snow and ice, especially when no one saw it coming.
-16 degrees Fahrenheit this AM in Michigan. But we're expecting a warm-up to perhaps +17 degrees by this evening.

I'm going to the beach. I'm going to get a great parking spot.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #3134
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
-16 degrees Fahrenheit this AM in Michigan. But we're expecting a warm-up to perhaps +17 degrees by this evening.
I do feel grateful that it isn't worse. For me personally, it's more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Quote:
Highs here Saturday might get in the 60's! I'm breaking out the tank tops and flip flops.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #3135
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:

Quote:
Highs here Saturday might get in the 60's! I'm breaking out the tank tops and flip flops.
Yes, but I'll still have a better parking spot.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #3136
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
We've been wavering between these temperatures for two weeks now. Every time I think it might get above -10C, it gets colder again. Now it's also windy. I've been permanently wearing a scarf over my face like a Talibani. You give me the good spot, or I'll shoot.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #3137
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín View Post
Phonetics should go to Mordor. Including all people who actually like phonetics. They scare me.
J. R. R. Tolkien obviously had to deal with phonetics in his professional career and obviously enjoyed it. I am also one of the people who actually like phonetics. So, as another example, is Tolkien author John Garth. Who I would send to Mordor is people who post a request for the pronunciation of some word but then ask that no-one use phonetics to give the pronunciation.

Quote:
The difference between English and American spelling should go to Mordor, too. Honestly, why couldn't you keep it at one system and vocab?
Again, Tolkien was a linguist who knew about such differences. And there are more supposedly correct spellings than two for many words. British English has the currently taught version, used in European Common Market documents, and the Oxford English Dictionary system, used in United Nations documents and in many academic documents.

Quote:
Also, the expression sanguine about definitely does not belong in a happy land. Nobody knows what that means, anyway *sulks*
The word is often used, and I think that most who use it think they know what it means. Just look up the word in a dictionary if you have doubts and really don ’t know. See http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sanguine , or http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sanguine , or http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sanguine or various other sites that will provide an answer more quickly than it took you to type the question in your post.

Quote:
And evil, sarcastic, sadistic teachers - who say you argue like the American president - should be assigned to Mordor immediately.
I have sympathy for teachers who must deal with what you think is an argument.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #3138
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

My swimming coach would feel right at home in Mordor. Especially after tonights session.. Yuck..
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #3139
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When school cancels ski day... after you leave home early to get there on time.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #3140
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Knee-jerk reactions from local government officials that inconvenience thousands of people.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #3141
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
General foolishness on my part, which frequently leads to elevated anxiety levels. Not good.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #3142
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Being online on the Downs alone with two spammers.

Evil universities.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #3143
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Not having enough time. For my wife, for my friends, and for the Downs.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #3144
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Squeaky breaks on your bicycle.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #3145
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Squeaky breaks on your bicycle.
I can so relate to that! I could add brakes that barely work so especially if it's wet, you have to be very careful if you don't want to be hit by a car, and which get so rusty that if your bike stands still for two days, you'll have to use violence on the rear brake.

I need to do some fixing.

*imagines orcish bike crashes on the plains of Gorgoroth due to faulty brakes*
Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 AM   #3146
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I assign Google right now, and the fact that I don't understand what I'm doing wrong for it to say that there's too much traffic in my computer/network/I-don't-know

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #3147
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign to Mordor the speech pattern known as "vocal fry" (lowering one's voice and creaking to sound like Ke$ha).

Fingernails on chalkboards sound better than girls speaking in vocal fry. Cats mating sound better than grown women speaking in vocal fry- especially when combined with overuse of the word "like" and high-rising terminals.

Ugh.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #3148
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

McAfee anti-virus. I don't use it, but they're sneaky about inserting free "tools" into popular updates of other programs. That's twice now I've had to uninstall and reinstall the anti-virus I am using because of them.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #3149
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

My clumsy, ham-fisted attempt at fine electronics repair.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #3150
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

I will assign my continual state of impatience, one of my most significant faults, in the hopes that I can do a better job of mastering it.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #3151
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Wasps, clearly of the fauna of Mordor. I'll sting them back, yet.

EDIT: Should I also assign the fact that the past 4 posts on this thread have been from me?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #3152
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
EDIT: Should I also assign the fact that the past 4 posts on this thread have been from me?
Definitely, but only because of the lack of enthusiastic complaining.

I assign course selection, difficult babies, and movies that won't load and get stuck every couple minutes.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #3153
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
New Zealand film directors.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #3154
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Going to the trouble of a live chat with a customer service rep, only to find all you had to do was click one simple button on the website.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #3155
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Going to the trouble of a live chat with a customer service rep, only to find all you had to do was click one simple button on the website.
Trying desperately for several hours to create a network connection to the campus wifi, both using various buttons and manually, failing, dragging your computer to the tech help desk, only to find that your idiot computer somehow connected to the wifi completely on its own while you're standing in line. I still don't know how it did it considering that it refused to do so even with my promptings the past couple days. Also, did it have to wait until I was practically at the help desk?
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #3156
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

200+ page notes. My printer is gonna go on strike!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #3157
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Office cubicle "rabbit warrens." I got moved into one two weeks ago and my introversion is not liking it one bit.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 AM   #3158
Zigûr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigûr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This isn't really dastardly enough to assign to Mordor, but I think I'll assign an English text book for 10-14 year olds (or so) I was looking at today at work which asked students to view and write an introduction for the LotR films, but named two characters from the opening as "Saron" and "Gollom".

Putting the disservice to the text aside, how unprofessional is it to not bother researching the correct spellings of the names of fictional characters in an educational publication?!? I believe another title in the same series set the Star Wars films as science fiction texts for study and named the primary antagonist from them as "Emperor Paladin". Utterly pathetic.

Last edited by Zigûr; 10-27-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Zigûr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 AM   #3159
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
That's pretty funny, actually, Zigur. "Let's show these kids today we're hip to all that sciencial fiction they watch on that, you know, interminet thing."
Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #3160
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaving aside the despair that an English textbook is referencing the films, I don't think this is quite as bad as the biology textbook that said that penguins were part of the staple diet for polar bears...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote