The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2002, 02:06 PM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril One wizard just isn't enough

Check out this story about our own, Ian McKellen. It seems that another wizard is in his future... <A HREF="http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#1" TARGET=_blank>http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#1</A>
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:19 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>WHAT?!?</B> HOW COULD HE!? HE'S BETRAYING LotR!<BR>I think he just lost my respect. <BR>Dang.<BR>Well, thanks anyway, Tigerlily.<BR>See ya,<BR>~M
Old 12-27-2002, 03:29 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Oh no....<P>Next we're gonna see Daniel Radcliffe die or withdraw from shooting and Elijah Wood take his place as HP himself....
Old 12-28-2002, 12:21 AM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to say that I was kind of shocked hearing about this, because he said many times that he did not want to play this part, and personally he has said nothing about it.<P>Though when my mother saw Harry Potter, she thought Sir Ian would have done a much better job than Richard Harris.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:02 AM   #5
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

How could he, i mean, happy potter? i mean thats like, oh my god, i cant belive he betrayed us like that<P>I WILL PERSONIALLY SEE THAT HE IS STRIPED OF GLAMDRING AND HIS HAT!!!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
Andkrisiel

Tolkien

This is a scary time for us all seeing Grandalf betray us like this.......
Old 12-28-2002, 01:26 AM   #7
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting

I always thought Ian would have made a good dumbledore..but still i wish he didnt take the part It wont be right.
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 06:41 AM   #8
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will grieve this. <BR>How could he just do something like that. <P>Though I would more blame Rowlings for making those horrible books.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:46 PM   #9
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Oh, chill out. It's not like this is some shot out of the blue; when Harris died, it was pretty obvious they'd replace him with either McKellen or Lee. And McKellen makes more sense, 'cause Lee's, what now, 80 something?<P>I enjoy the HP movies, and I think the books are fun. They aren't on the same level as LotR, obviously, but there's no reason to compare them. HP is a children's story, and a darn good one. This is just stupid predjudice against anything that imitates (in any way) our beloved Lord of the Rings. Go read the books. I don't know a single person who has read them and didn't enjoy them on some level. The movies are fun, and if I were Sir Ian, I'd jump at a chance to be in them.<P>Of course, it'd have been pretty cool if Christopher Lee got to be in Star Wars, Lord of the Rings <I>and</I> Harry Potter... Oh well.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:37 AM   #10
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I personally will <B>not</B> believe that he is going to do this until it's announced on his website....<P>I for one still hold out hope that he will <B>NOT</B> be in the next Harry Potter movie!
Old 12-29-2002, 04:17 AM   #11
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it was inevitable, I agree with Garen LiLorian.<BR>Besides, you can't compare a Lord of the Rings movie to a Harry Potter one, they are different and its just another job that McKellen chose to do.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:47 AM   #12
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't know a single person who has read them and didn't enjoy them on some level. The movies are fun, and if I were Sir Ian, I'd jump at a chance to be in them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've read the two first books and I didin't enjoy them very much at all. I just read em so that I would know what I speak of when I says that they are no good. <P>And I still think that it's sad that Mckellen is gonna be Dumbledore. Next time I see Gandalf I'm just gonna think. "Oh it's professor Gandalf". It's terrible...
Old 12-29-2002, 05:27 AM   #13
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Next time I see Gandalf I'm just gonna think. "Oh it's professor Gandalf". It's terrible... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I got over thinking "Hey, it's Magneto" pretty darn quick at the beginning of LotR, and was even able to accept an actor I'd only seen in one other (very memorable) role before as Elrond. I'm not trying to be rude, but he's an <B>actor</B>. I'll believe in whatever he does because he's a good one, and it's hardly fair of us to criticize him for taking the part.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've read the two first books and I didin't enjoy them very much at all. I just read em so that I would know what I speak of when I says that they are no good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've got a friend. I kept bugging him for months to read LotR, and he kept telling me it wasn't any good. Finally, I convinced him to read them, but he did so with the express purspose of proving me wrong, and, to my lasting dismay and shame, I've managed to turn him completely off to it. My point is that if you are suitably convinced beforehand, you can find whatever you're looking for.<P>Well, I guess, now I do know someone who doesn't like them.<BR>Congratulations.<BR>*a Gandalf_theGrey style bow*<P><B>edit;</B> I just read that, and it sounded harsher than I meant it to. Your oppinion is really none of my buisness. I apologize if I've ruffled feathers.<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Garen LiLorian ]
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 05:33 AM   #14
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Like Ara, I won't believe this until I hear it from McKellen himself. All I see on his website so far are comments to the effect that he is sick of fantasy movies after three LotR and two X-men films, and would hardly agree to be in a Harry Potter film so soon.
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 08:51 AM   #15
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, it did say that it was going to be after New Year's when they officially announce it....
Old 12-29-2002, 10:38 AM   #16
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I got over thinking "Hey, it's Magneto" pretty darn quick at the beginning of LotR, and was even able to accept an actor I'd only seen in one other (very memorable) role before as Elrond. I'm not trying to be rude, but he's an actor. I'll believe in whatever he does because he's a good one, and it's hardly fair of us to criticize him for taking the part.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well said. For Pete’s sake people, he is playing <B>Magneto</B>. In comparison, Dumbledore is Shakespear! Most actors and actresses are the lowest forms of life on the face of the earth! Who cares what they act in! They get money to prostitute their faces and act like people they aren’t. Sure its an art form, and on some level its respectable, but the fact that actors and actresses are cultural icons is an extremely sad commentary on our times.
Old 12-29-2002, 01:08 PM   #17
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not too worried about it; it's better than Christopher Lee playing Dumbledore. (I wouldn't be able to see Dumbledore as a good guy ever again if he did...heck, I had trouble with Magneto as a bad guy.) Like some people have said, Sir Ian is an actor. He's got to have other roles. We simply can't expect all of them to be as good as Gandalf, because they won't be, end of story. I'm rather fond of Harry Potter, though they're not by any means my favorite books or my favorite movies, and I don't think that it'll ruin either the Lord of the Rings movies or the Harry Potter movies to have Sir Ian playing Gandalf and Dumbledore.<P>Personally, I'm more worried about that "Try Seventeen" romantic comedy thing with Elijah and Mandy Moore... <P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-29-2002, 01:35 PM   #18
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

I really don't see the problem. He's a good Gandalf. He'll be a good Dumbledore too. How is he "betraying" Lord of the Rings?<P><B>BILL FERNEY:</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Most actors and actresses are the lowest forms of life on the face of the earth! Who cares what they act in! They get money to prostitute their faces and act like people they aren’t. Sure its an art form, and on some level its respectable, but the fact that actors and actresses are cultural icons is an extremely sad commentary on our times. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Excuse us? This is a family site, so I will not resort to obscenities, but tell me: If you think actors are so bad, how can you watch movies? Or TV? How did you come upon this horrid opinion? How many actual actors have you met?<BR>*throws an apple which pegs the traitor between the eyes*<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 12-29-2002, 01:35 PM   #19
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I really do not see what the big "betrayal" deal is all about. He's <I>an actor</I>. His job is to portray different people on screen. Think how much money is involved with Harry Potter. If you had a really cool job opportunity, in a field you're quite experienced in, with pretty good salary, I'm sure you'd take it. Anyway, are you people suggesting that none of the LotR cast may play ayone else ever again, as they would be "betraying" LotR? It really is just another (worse) film. I personally will go see it to see if he improved on Harris' performance. Ian McKellen is a really amazing actor, and, no offence, but I'm sure he could do a way better job at Dumbledore, as Harris wasn't that great.<BR>I have also got something to day about the article:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They are not worried about people getting The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter confused. They are two very different films. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well duh.<P>~LePetitChoux<P>P.S. If it had been Lee, a true Tolkienite, I would have been more upset. He doesn't seem like a Dumbledore, anyway. More of a "Voldermort's Grandfather".
Old 12-29-2002, 02:26 PM   #20
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Gee, and I guess it was just a strange coincidence that the trailer for the new X Men sequel, full of shots of Magneto/McKellen, was shown immediately before TTT was screened in my local cinema.<P>This is the business of the entertainment industry, not Middle Earth. And certainly not Tolkien. Actors, like everyone in this long defeat, need employment. Nor are they the only ones who must assume a role and face unlike their own. "All the world's a stage," Bill Ferny. It's how we play our part that matters, not the playing itself.<P>Lighten up, all. <P>Bethberry
Old 12-29-2002, 03:25 PM   #21
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I agree with LePetitChoux, but I guess according to Bill Ferny I am one of the lowest life forms on earth so my opinion doesn't matter. Geez, I never thought I could be lower than a weed, but oh well.<BR>Yes, we don't know if Ian has taken yet because he has not officially announced it, but even if he does it's his choice and he is betraying no one. If anything he is taking a huge step. It takes a lot of guts to take a role of someone who has passed. Plus, I'm sure he couldn't pass up the chance to act w/his old friend, Maggie Smith again.<BR>Well, now that I've spoken I will go crawl under a rock and live with all of the other lower life forms.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:45 PM   #22
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Pardon me, people, but this is not an issue of betrayal. Sir Ian is a talented actor who can play any role that is offered him, and I congratulate him on getting the part.<P>Poor Tigerlily... *gives Tigerlily a hug* Such cruelty!
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 03:47 PM   #23
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Perhaps you meant "Hollywood actors", Bill?<P>I also thought that Sir Ian would make a better Dumbledore than the already deteriorating Harris. He seems more lively and will certainly do better in the fourth film when Dumbledore actually does some physical stuff (Eru, how long is <I>that</I> movie gonna be?). I, for one, am now convinced that it is the best way to go.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:44 PM   #24
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Susan,<P>Simple. In the same way lords and ladies watched jesters and jugglers. Just because they make us laugh doesn’t make them anything more than what they are… entertainers. Thanks for the apple.<P>Tigerlily,<P>Are you most? Well, let me rephrase that… Are you a cultural icon? Just throw apples, ok.<P>Manwe,<P>Maybe, maybe not. I don’t like to discriminate based on where somebody lives. (Now that one even cracked me up.)
Old 12-30-2002, 12:56 AM   #25
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Be at peace. It's alright.<P>One of the first things I thought after seeing The Two Towers was:<P>"<B>"Harry WHO?"</B><P>Don't get me wrong, I <I>love</I> the books, they're so addictive. Don't start saying they're mush if you haven't read The Goblet of Fire. From what I've seen in newspaper articles the whole Harry Potter movie thing is doomed, anyway. The kid actors want to go back to school, they're growing up too fast anyway, the fourth book is impossibly long, and well: Dobby. Come on. Really.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:14 PM   #26
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I am a cultural icon to my own life <P>You can all breath easy for now... the rumor has once again changed:<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>E!Online is reporting that Michael Gambon, who has been seen in many recent high-profile films including Gosford Park, The Insider, and Sleepy Hollow, will replace the late Richard Harris as Professor Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film. This puts to rest rumors that our very own Gandalf, Ian McKellen, would take over the role. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-31-2002, 05:29 PM   #27
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Regarding last Friday's report in the London Sun that Ian McKellen has agreed to play Dumbledore in the next Harry Potter film, a message posted Monday on McKellen's website says: "Ian McKellen has NOT agreed to succeed the late Richard Harris in the role of Dumbledore in the Harry Potter <BR>movies. He has expressed interest in perhaps playing a different role some time in the future of the series."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am glad that this wasn't true! <p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 12-31-2002, 06:23 PM   #28
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally, I'm more worried about that "Try Seventeen" romantic comedy thing with Elijah and Mandy Moore...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>WHAT?! Oh my...I have nothing against Elijah playing very different roles after LotR, but come on, its Mandy freakin' Moore! God.<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: Nenya ]
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:37 PM   #29
Maylin
Haunting Spirit

Maylin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maylin
Sting

*Deep sigh*<P>ok... that is good....I would never have been able to watch with out thinking a balrog is going to jump out of the floor, or something.( imagines harry trying to get into Dumbledor's office, opening the door, and seeing Dumbuldore fighting a balrog. YOU SHALL NOT PASS")<BR>As for my opinion of the Harry Potter books, they are ok, but the characters aren't as consistent as in LotR. Snape is portrayed as someone bad, though he just inforces the rules. ( ok, he does dislike harry, but still) and while Harry is "good" he stil does thing he shouldn't na doesn't get a very severe punishment. I would say the books are alright, you just shouldn't strive to be like the characters.
Maylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:45 PM   #30
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

After starring in "Encino Man" with the fabulous Pauly Shore, I was so amazed to think of Sean Astin playing the servant of a Hobbit<BR>But then I remembered...He's an actor, for the love of Mike, and that's how he makes a living.<BR>I bet that sometime in the future, he'll play another ROLE.
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 12:03 AM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well good news for everyone who thinks that Sir Ian is betraying LOTR according to this story <A HREF="http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,11044,00.html" TARGET=_blank>eonline</A><BR>He is NOT going to play Dumbledore, but a british actor by the name of Michael Gambon<BR>I am not familliar with this man, but hopefully he will do a good job
Old 01-01-2003, 11:26 AM   #32
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Eye

Sean Astin will always be Rudy to me <P>Cheer Cheer for ol’ Notre Dame<BR>Wake up the echoes cheering her name<BR>Send the volley cheer on high<BR>Shake down the thunder from the sky<BR>What though the odds be great or small<BR>Ol’ Notre Dame will win over all<BR>While her loyal sons are marching<BR>Onward to victory<p>[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Ferny ]
Old 01-01-2003, 09:58 PM   #33
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

(a little late, but that's what happens when you go offline for a few days)<BR>I reacted that way because I'm also an actress and took it personally. <I>Perhaps</I> I shouldn't have.<P>Honestly, there are any number of good actors who could play Dumbledore. As long as it's not, like, Sean Connery, I'm fine with it.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #34
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I first heard that Richard Harris was dead. I was like, "hmm, wonder who will be Dumbledore then? I know! Ian Meckellen! Isn't he MADE for the role? I mean he did play Gandalf and he is a GREAT actor!" Guess I was right all along! I don't understand why Tolkien fans don't like it. I mean Sir Ian IS an actor. And I think he will make a splendid Dumbledore. The Potter books of course can't compare with the LOTR, but they are fun entertainment, and the movies are gaining big bucks too.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:16 PM   #35
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooot!!!!!!<BR>I want to see MecKellen as Dumbledore! Think about the fun it will be! But guess not. But I am definitely going to see the x-man one. Just for MecKellen's sake.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:20 PM   #36
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> When You Watch Your Potter DVD Tonight...Be sure to catch this: The portraits in Dumbledore's study represent the past headmasters of Hogwarts. As Harry enters the study for the first time in Chamber of Secrets, we can see a portrait of our very own Gandalf the Grey included in the collection of paintings! (Chapter 19 on the DVD: It is just above the doorframe) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I haven't seen yet but some of you might be interested.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #37
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He is NOT going to play Dumbledore, but a british actor by the name of Michael Gambon<BR>I am not familliar with this man, but hopefully he will do a good job <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just to be absolutely clear on this point, Gorwingel is right. Michael Gambon will be playing Dumbledore in future Harry Potter films <B>not</B> Ian McKellen. Gambon is an exceptionally good actor, although he's not done many films. <I>The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover</I> is the only one that come to mind, although I am sure that there are others.
Old 04-12-2003, 08:58 AM   #38
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Pardon me, people, but this is not an issue of betrayal. Sir Ian is a talented actor who can play any role that is offered him, and I congratulate him on getting the part. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thank you, Ithaeliel.<P>Let's see, Mr. McKellen devoted about a year of his life and pored his heart in soul into bringing us a beloved character to film. His performance was wonderful and we can watch it for a few bucks at the cinema or watch him anytime we want by paying the nominal cost of a VHS tape or a DVD.<P>And he owes us something?!<P>Here's the grand total of what he owes us. Drum roll please ....<P><BR>..... NOTHING!<P><BR>Let the man live his life.<P>Personally, as I'm not a Harry Potter fan, this gets a big "who cares" from me.<P>H.C.