The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Babelfish for Khuzdul in Angerthas/Cirth?

I'm not sure how many people know of babelfish, but it's a fairly handy website in which you simply type in something, press "translate", and it automatically translates what you've typed into the language you've selected. Incidentally, I find it works better translating into your language than into another language. This is because of discrepancies which the site hasn't yet overcome, especially with idioms and colloquialisms.

Anyway, does anyone know of a similar, low-effort and user-friendly site for Khuzdul? Bonus points if the site will also translate it into Angerthas / Cirth.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I'm not sure how many people know of babelfish, but it's a fairly handy website in which you simply type in something, press "translate", and it automatically translates what you've typed into the language you've selected. Incidentally, I find it works better translating into your language than into another language. This is because of discrepancies which the site hasn't yet overcome, especially with idioms and colloquialisms.

Anyway, does anyone know of a similar, low-effort and user-friendly site for Khuzdul? Bonus points if the site will also translate it into Angerthas / Cirth.

Thanks in advance.
Tolkien didn't create enough Quenya for a translator-site to be possible (the vocabulary files I have are not "dictionaries" but "word-lists"), let alone Khuzdul. If you want to know what we know about it (including the extant vocabulary), I'd recommend checking out Ardalambion's article on it here.

As far as Angerthas/Cirth go, there are plenty of actual fonts out there for download, and you don't even have to worry about getting a transcription tool because the vowels are letters as much as the consonants are (rather than diacriticals that sit above consonants as in Tengwar). There's a technical term for that but it escapes me at the moment.

The good news is, whatever your project is, that Dwarves were secretive enough about their language that you could fudge away an English text by saying that they translated it into Westron. Balin's tomb used Mannish names, although the rest of the inscription was Khuzdul.