The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2002, 01:23 PM   #1
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Silmaril odd Hobbit ages

I am not sure, but in the appendix of my edition of LOTR, in the Hobbit family trees, some of the age differences seem a little odd. For example: Bilbo was born in 1290, Frodo in 1368, Samwise in 1380, Merry in 1382, and Pippin in 1390. If these are correct, then Merry would be 19, Sam 21, and Pippin 11 at the beginning of the Fellowship.
Does this occur in anyone else's?
Old 04-27-2002, 04:51 PM   #2
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought the same thing. Then I had to go back and read the books all over again (yay!)
But really, seventeen years passed between the birthday party and the beginning of the Fellowship (if you mean the council of Elrond). So Frodo was really fifty (he waited for his fifteenth birthday, remember?), Merry was 36, Sam 35/38, and Pippin 28. Sam's age looks weird because in the family tree it shows Sam being born in 1380, and in the tale of years it says he's born in 1383 S.R., and I have yet to find out how old he really is. Or is this just my copy?
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:01 PM   #3
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo left the Shire in the year 1418 Shire Reckoning. I'll leave you to work out the ages of all the hobbits at that time from there.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:39 PM   #4
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

Bilbo's farewell party takes place 50-33=17 years earlier than the Council of Elrond (Frodo's 50 in the rest of LotR and 33 in the party). That means it's in 1418-17=1401 SR. Merry, Pippin & Sam were all young at that time, unmature children/adolescents for the Hobbit standards. And indeed no mention is made of them in the first Chapter. In a parallel, we see Hamfast discussing in an inn in A Long-Expected Party and then we see his son Samwise arguing in the same inn in The Shadow of the Past. 17 years have passed, Hamfast has aged and Sam is no longer a child.
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:02 PM   #5
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

This passage of 17 years and the differences in age between Frodo and his friends are two of the nuances lost in Jackson's movie. It's understandable that Frodo is going to be much younger in the movie so he can be drop dead gorgeous. (Even with the Ring "freezing" his age in 1401, there's no way that he even looks 33.) But this theme is one that is present even in the Hobbit. After his adventure, the Hobbit says Bilbo's friends are mainly his younger relations from the Took family. Frodo seems to have followed the same practice of being closest with those younger than him, presumably because they are more adventurous, flexible, and understanding of his non-conforming ways. sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ April 27, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 04-27-2002, 07:01 PM   #6
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Your right, Sam and Frodo look about the same age in the movie, and Merry and Pippin look like their 16. Everyone looks exactly the same in the party as they do in Lothlorien near the end(in the movie). Did anyone else notice that?
Old 04-27-2002, 11:52 PM   #7
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, I don't think they specified it being 17 years later in the movie - so that is wht they probably didn't mind aging the actors...

As for Frodo looking very young in the movie... Isn't it said that Hobbits don't reach maturity until about the age of 3O? If that is so then they would still look young at that age, because humans reach "maturity" at the age of 18. So would 30 year old hobbits look like 18 year old humans? It is just a theory. Please, feel free to prove me wrong.
And if that is true, then... Frodo received the ring when he turned 33, the ring slowed his aging... so, at the age of 50 he still looks 33 (which would equal 20 in human maturity using my theory).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 09:26 AM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting theory Tigerlily Gamgee. I think it sounds O.K. It certainly explains a few things.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:48 AM   #9
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

Of course there is an analogy between Hobbit & Human ages. Say Men reach maturity at 18; if Hobbits reach maturity (for the sake of the comparison we'll admit both physical & mental) at age 33, then there's a factor of 2 playing between those races. Hobbits reach 100 years quite often. If we take the same analogy, Men would reach 50 years, which is a quite respectable age for someone living in such harsh conditions in M-E, physically & medically. Of course the decendants of the Númenóreans are left outside, as they live much longer than your averange man. The analogy of approximately 2:1 still stands. How about Dwarves? What's their main age expectancy?
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 04:10 PM   #10
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think around 70.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:40 AM   #11
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Dwarves live to about 250 years.