User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #921
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It is now just after noon in the Shire.

The sun is shining brightly. It looks to be a fair day.

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-23-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 PM   #922
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

~*~ * * EVIL CREATURES NEEDED FOR RPG * * ~*~

Calling all Orcs and Goblins!

~*~

CaptainofDespair invites you to take a look at his RPG:

The Siege of Gundabad

~*~

The Discussion Thread is now open.

Put together a descriptive character bio for an evil critter, and craft a well written First Post to submit along with it.

Should be a fun game.

See you there!
Old 10-23-2004, 06:19 PM   #923
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Posco and Lily entered the Inn together, hand in hand, though the former seemed uneasy about the arrangement. He hoped that anyone who might look at them would think they were merely good friends, and not that they had a deeper fondness for one another. It seemed foolish to be so worried. Anyone in the Inn would have to know that they had never previously met to think it improper for them to love each other within the duration of a few days, and nobody in the Inn knew that. Besides, Lily was happy with her hand in his, and that was enough for him.

She tripped laughingly to the window, and he followed her with a happy heart. Her hair bounced upon her shoulders, and her feet skipped lightly over the wooden floor. She pressed her little nose on the window-pane, and then made a gesture. "See, Posco?" she said. "What a fine day it is for a ride!"

"Fine indeed," said Posco, "and I am looking forward to it as much as a hobbit can."

She turned to him with shining eyes. "Will we go riding at your home, Posco? Through the wildflowers and by the river, and under the moon and stars when evening has fallen?"

"Whenever you like," he said, with all the simplicity of a lad in love, who would do anything for his dear one. She gave him a loving, grateful smile, and then they went to a table.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:42 PM   #924
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Pushing a strand of hair out of her eyes, Gwenneth looked over at her companion. "Ginger, what kind of flower is this?" The young elf pointed at a small white flower. "I do not remeber seeing it before."

At that moment, Gwenneth's necklace came loose and fell into the dirt. She picked it up and asked the Hobbit to help fasten it. Ginger made certain that the catch of the necklace would not come open. Their attention retuned to the flower.
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight, At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more, ... And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again. ~ The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe Narnia Movie Info
Old 10-24-2004, 04:21 AM   #925
Umwë
Animated Skeleton

Umwë has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Umwë
Pipe Umwë's return

Umwë pulled back his hood and looked up at the sun. It was shining brightly and warmed up his body. He closed his eyes and just enjoyed the calm moment of peace. He took a deep breathe and the fresh cleared out his lungs. His glittering eyes looked like diamonds and he slowly began to walk again and headed towards The Green Dragon Inn.

It had been a long time since last and wasn't sure that anyone would remember him. He had been away visiting the Grey Havens and took a last farwell of his brother that now sailed to the West. The memories came back to him as he stood on the peer, watching how the white sails of the ship slowly disappeared by the horizon.

He sighed and shook his head. I will also leave all this, but not yet. His brother was the last of his relatives that left Middle-Earth, so now, he was alone. He got closer to the Inn and as he stood just outside he could here the laughter and joy coming from the inside. He opened the door carefully, as he didn't want to make a scene. A nice aroma of warm tea overwhelmed him and he got reminded how long it was since he last had a nice warm cup of tea.

He looked around himself and saw many faces that he couldn't recognize from his last visit. He walked over to the counter where a young hobbit maid stood serving the refreshments for the guests. He bowed and gave her a warm smile. She smiled back to him and said "Can I help you, master elf?"

"Greetings miz. The name is Umwë. I was just wondering if I could have a cup of tea?" said softly.

"Welcome to the Green Dragon Umwë." she said and bowed. "Of course! Just hold on a moment."

"Thank you miz!" Umwë responded as she served him a cup of tea. As Umwë waited he let his gaze wander around in the room. "Hrm!" Umwë woke up from his day dreaming and turned around. "Here's is your tea, master Umwë." She said and giggled. Umwë blushed and thanked her for the tea and sat down by an empty table.

He sipped the warm tea slowly and he almost burned his tounge. "Ouch!" he said for himself and pinched his eyes. He sat by the window looking at the flowers outside that was beautiful. The sweet smell from the flowers came tickling his nose from an open window. It reminded him of the times he had been wandering in the Golden Wood in his younger days. But the Golden Wood was now abandonded and the elves were all generally leaving Middle-Earth.

Umwë thought about maybe going to the Common Room. Maybe he could have a nice talk to someone there. I needed to talk to someone, as nowadays he felt so lonely. He glanced around in the room, and looked for someone that he could join.

Last edited by Umwë; 10-24-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:33 AM   #926
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

~*~ * * EVIL CREATURE NEEDED FOR RPG * * ~*~

** Goblin Commander of the Misty Mountains ** - controls relief force that arrives to aid the embattled Orcs on Gundabad

~*~

CaptainofDespair invites you to take a look at his RPG:

The Siege of Gundabad

~*~

The Discussion Thread is now open.

Put together a descriptive character bio for the Goblin Commander, and craft a well written First Post to submit along with it.

Should be an exciting game.

See you there!

~*~ Pio
Old 10-25-2004, 08:50 AM   #927
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eleniel placed a hand on Soronume's shoulder consolingly.

"Forgive me, I did not mean to make you relive any unhappy memories," she said softly. "I know that not all roads end in happiness and not all journeys are pleasant." She knew that only too well. She looked away for a moment, lost within herself. The smile returned after a few seconds and she laughed.

"And I'm not doing anything to lighten the mood," she said. "It's a beautiful day, the flowers are blooming, and I've good company. There's no reason for me to get lost in stale memories and spoil things."

Turning in her seat, Eleniel noticed a lone elf enter the inn and seat himself at an empty table with a cup of tea. He looked like he wished company.

"What say we invite that fine gentleman over?" she asked Soronume. "He seems lonely, and in my experience, the Green Dragon is no place to sit alone."
Old 10-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #928
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Revelations

“Tired indeed, madam.” said Fescue, smiling haphazardly at the innkeeper, “Libations would be a welcome treat, dear Miss Amanaduial.” He sat down, with his two cohorts, in the upraised chairs provided for them by Aman, at the corner table of the Common Room.

“Can I interest any of you noble gentlemen in some ale, or breakfast, perhaps?” She was very polite and courteous about all of this, though she had not lost her air of concern. Fescue had, obviously, predicted that she would do such a thing, at least to himself. The hobbit sometimes figured he must have been at least slightly clairvoyant, considering the fact that he was so often right about things. Fescue briefly, whimsically considered his divine intonation, before turning his thoughts back to the question that Aman had imposed. He was not averse to ale, but felt it better to remain alert, wits unsullied by alcohol, than to allow himself to run the risk of becoming slower on the uptake. So, he declined wordlessly.

Spurge, on the other hand, enthusiastically raised his hand. He had a stomach for ale, and a full, paunchy one as well. But, to his morose chagrin, his hand was yet again batted down by the indeterminable Fescue Bracegirdle, who shooed the limb from its upright position like a scolding mother. “No, certainly not,” he said, brisk but firm, “Officers of the law ought not to have ale on the job. Anyway, my friend, Master Proudfoot, here, can get a wee bit raucous when under the influence, and this is hardly the time to be making a scene, now is it, miss?” Aman nodded, but, to anyone with a bit more brain than Fescue Bracegirdle, it would’ve been obvious that her consistent agreement was a simple, albeit well-delivered façade. “No,” she said, “hardly the time to make a scene. So, is there anything you desire, my inn is at your service.”

“Only some victuals, after our long ride: whatever is available.” She nodded again and turned, a little hurriedly, but Fescue was not too polite to call her back on a whim. Begrudgingly, she returned to the table, as Fescue leaned up, over the edge of the table (as high as he could raise himself), and whispered. “And, if I may,” he said, “I suggest you inform the inn-goers of the criminal’s presence, or, at least, those who you trust, so that they may report to me if they find anything that may assist our search. I, in the meanwhile, will begin scoping out the grounds for the knave. I expect that you will not hinder my search. By order of the Thain, the grounds of the Green Dragon are as accessible to me as they are to you…except, of course, for your own personal quarters.” A vague red tint flourished in his face, but only momentarily, though long enough for Amanaduial to notice it. Disregarding the embellished look, she curtsied. “Thank you again, kind and noble sir, for coming to the aid of this inn in its time of need. I cannot thank you enough.”

Fescue fumbled his way out of his chair and bowed gracefully. “The pleasure is all mine.”

Aman smiled sweetly and headed back towards her study, all thoughts of bringing food or drink for the Thain’s Three disappearing from her mind.

--------------------------

His mind racing, Toby followed Snaveling. The man, taller than his companion and faster moving led Toby out of the stables and around to an unseen side of the inn, one which Toby had not seen before. “Come,” said the man, resolute in his bearings, “there is a secret entrance here. The officers will not see us enter.” Toby barely heard him, so engrossed was he in his pensive state, but caught the tail end of the sentence. He raised his arm and grabbed Snaveling’s lavish sleeve, causing him to turn. “How many are there again?” the hobbit questioned unenthusiastically, “What manner of officers are they; Shirriff’s, or Thain’s men?

“They are of the Thain’s household,” said Snaveling, his voice low as the duo moved through the kitchen, “and proud of it. They did not seem to be the most proficient officers of the lot, and avoiding them should not be hard…especially for you.” Snaveling cracked the semblance of a smile, possibly trying to console his friend, but Toby did not return the look, nor did he make further eye contact with his companion. His own gaze was affixed on the ground. Snaveling’s smile withered, and, when Toby looked up, it appeared that nothing had been there before. In disconcerting silence the duo headed inside the inn, through the kitchen entrance, wound their way through the kitchen itself, and entered Amanaduial’s cloistered study.

When Snaveling and Toby arrived in the study, Aman was standing, and looked flustered, pacing, perhaps thinking or perhaps for a purpose. She stopped her movement when she saw the two enter, and looked to them. Before the hobbit could say anything, she had practically materialized in front of him, her expression full of concern, but also bewilderment. “Toby,” she said to him, “I have heard some very disturbing news.”

Toby nodded solemnly. “I know of it.”

“Then tell me that it isn’t true!” Aman cried out, her voice’s volume rising suddenly, “Tell me you are not guilty of all the charges made against you!” Toby did not answer, despite the look of urgency on Aman’s fair face. The muted hobbit glanced, out of the corner of his eye, at Snaveling, who stood just behind, patient and unwavering. Toby waited, and Aman could only look down at him, in a state of confusion, at the suddenly reclusive hobbit. Finally, he spoke up, albeit silently. “I can only tell you what I know,” he murmured, his speech distorted by constant breaks and pauses, “…and hope that you do not think worse of me for it.”

The innkeeper was stern, but her alarm dulled and her face softened. Her tone became simple and blunt. “All I want, Toby, is the truth.” Toby winced at this, but did not falter too much, and managed to reply seriously. “And you shall have it. You may wish to sit down though.” Aman sat in her chair in the study dutifully, and indicated that Tobias Hornblower ought to sit down in another one of the gilt wood chairs vacant in the roon and continue. So, reluctantly, he did…

“Aman: the story I have to tell is a long one, and might be tedious to hear…and painful to retell, but for you, my two dearest friends, I will recall it. All I can ask of you is sanctuary. Money will not help me, and food or drink will not console me. By rights, I should not stay here, now that the inn is occupied by officers of the law, and I will only do so if you wish me to. Here is the story:”

“It was years ago – over a decade – before the Scouring, that it all occurred. In the Shire, we did not know a war was raging, as we were later told by our would-be saviors from the south. We did not know of the dire straits we were in, nor did we care. We were content. All the Bagginses were gone, which many thought to be a definite omen of a prosperous future. So, we went about our lives, even if we were more nervous, more alert, and the like, and then, as you no doubt know he came; Sharkey, the shadowy villain, who stole onto our lands and took them over beneath our very noses. His brutish men subjugated us, beleaguered us in our homes, and soon he had us in his bony hands, and those who would oppose him under lock and key, even the fool who paved the way for him, old Lotho Sackville-Baggins. It was thought, obviously, that no self-respecting Shire hobbit actually supported Sharkey and his monstrous horde of rogues…but…there were some extraneous circumstances to be observed. Before the Scouring, there was much talk of the outside lands. Much worry and debate ran rampant in the Shire. Then, Sharkey came, and Lotho was made Chief, and you know the rest…But you did not know of my unfortunate part in it.”

“I had not fallen upon hard times, and my family was prosperous, but those were the days when I was not the hobbit I am today. I was miserly, and greedy, and I wanted more than just money. I wanted power, for me, so that I would not be insecure in these times of strife…And that is what I was offered: power, or rather, immunity. Lotho it was that approached me first. I do not know how he had guessed that I could be turned, but he got what he wanted. As one of the prime heirs of the Hornblower line, one of the most influential families in the Shire, through various genealogical connections, I had a surplus of necessities, which Lotho ‘requested’ in exchange for immunity from Sharkey. I provided pipe-weed (in excess), and all the funds I could muster. I leeched wealth from my family, and others that I could, and contributed it to Sharkey’s government. I know not what he used my money for, but I can only guess that it greatly helped him, or at least allowed him an easier slip into power.”

“Then, though it is unbelievable, I did something mildly righteous, though it did not help. When I did not receive my allotment of immunity from Sharkey’s minions and laws, and witnessed the berating of my hobbit kin, I decided that I had been cheated and, stubborn as I was, I went straight to Lotho to protest. This was primarily because some family of mine had actually been arrested by the Chief’s Men, and walled up in Lockholes. That protest of mine, unfortunately, had the opposite effect. Instead of releasing those imprisoned family and giving me my dues, Sharkey proved that he would not accept the slightest hint of opposition from his subjects…My cousin, one of the three Hornblowers in Lockholes was…” he paused, his voice cracking in his throat, as low and as miserable as ever it had been “excuse me,” he said, as he halted, and took several deep breaths. Snaveling’s hand came to rest on his shoulder, and his friend encouraged him silently, but it was still some time before Toby was able to muster the ability to continue.

“He was killed,” Aman was taken off guard by this, but Snaveling only showed a hint of surprise, as if he had expected it. Toby knew that he had probably deduced the fact. Hastily, the hobbit began to explain. “…I didn’t know him, since I have many cousins, but that didn’t make it any less painful. That lad was counted as one of the unfortunate causalities of the Scouring, along with the twenty or so hobbits slain at the Battle of Bywater, and Lotho himself. At the time, there was merely mourning. Several hobbits in Lockholes had been brutally beaten by the Big Folk that Sharkey brought, some to within an inch of their lives, so the death of my cousin was dismissed as part of Sharkey’s havoc…” his voice faded again, but not for long. He sighed deeply, and continued again. “I wish that this was the end of the story, but it is not.”

“I had no idea, as I have told you, what Sharkey did with the money I contributed, but now I can venture a guess. My sister, Opal Boffin, whom is a rather dogged investigator, and has lost no love on me in the past, recently uncovered my crimes, but in a greater detail than even I knew. According to her, the testimony of a hobbit who served under Lotho and Sharkey has revealed that the money that Sharkey did not use (as well as the pipe-weed, regretfully) was distributed among various tribes of goblins that still incur to Eriador from time to time. No doubt, at one time, Sharkey was planning a full-fledged coup, attempting to rally the last orcs around him with bribes straight from the Hornblower treasury. The money may still be swimming around among sinister groups in the Shire, those still affiliated with the deceased Sharkey.”

“And, to make matters worse, Opal is convinced that it was my idea to have our cousin killed, because he discovered my illicit activities. So, not only am I a petty thief, an embezzling cad, and a wretched fool, but I have been branded, by my own family, a murderer and a veritable lord of all crime. I do not doubt that Opal will try to lay every single crime ever committed in the Shire on me…but I suppose I deserve it. It was my fault that my cousin was killed, even if I did not wish for such a thing to happen. My arrogance and my stupidity has made me the first hobbit to kill one of his own kind in nearly a century…”

At last, Toby stopped, leaving another silence to linger, sour and unwholesome, in the air. “That is the story.” He concluded, “Make of it what you will, and I hope you give me no better than I deserve. The only thing that might absolve me of my crime, in part, would be proof that my cousin’s death was not my own doing…but that will not make all my troubles disappear…Nothing will.”

Last edited by Kransha; 10-25-2004 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Note: This post was accidentally deleted from its original location on the last page and had to be moved here. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:45 PM   #929
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"What say we invite that fine gentleman over?" Eleniel asked Soronume. "He seems lonely, and in my experience, the Green Dragon is no place to sit alone."

Soronume replied "Certainly. There is no better place to make new friends than within these walls". He had almost now forgotten of the sadness that had taken him moments ago, and was surprisingly keen to make a new aqquaintance for someone so shy ordinarily.

Eleniel didn't need any further encouragement, she stood up and walked over to the stranger sat alone. Soronume stood to follow her but hesitated. Two people approaching when you have just sat down to a hot drink could be a little daunting. He felt bad for not following her but she seemed to have everything under control; she was already at the table, greeting the man with a smile. They shared a quick laugh before he too stood to greet her accordingly. He turned to pick up his drink and then followed Eleniel back to the table where Soronume had been waiting.

"Soronume," Eleniel began as he stepped from his seat to allow her to sit down, "my lady". "Soronume, this is Umwë, and Umwë, Soronume". He put forward his hand in greeting to this new face, "I am pleased to meet you Umwë. Please, sit down". He gestured for Umwë to sit down next to Eleniel, before Soronume took seat on the other side of the small table.

"So Umwë, what brings you to the Shire and the inn?" Soronume politely questionned.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #930
Soredamor
Pile O'Bones

Soredamor has just left Hobbiton.
Soredamor

Soredamor's neck ached, her legs ached, and her stomach growled. She cursed all her muscles that insisted to ache, and particularly cursed her empty stomach. The sign reading 'The Green Dragon Inn' was a wonderfully warm greeting by itself, and when she walked through the doors to the smells and the noises, it was completely refreshing. She soon forgot any of her pains, and immediately pulled out her purse, hidden beneath her rugged cloak, ready to pay anything for something to fill her stomach.

But she was distracted from this for a moment by the sights she saw in this inn. The amount of people she saw was a sight for sore eyes, and the kind of people she saw a wonder. She had so easily forgotten that she was now in the Shire until she saw all the hobbits, but now she could have quickly slipped back into that forgetfulness. It seemed travelers like herself were not unknown. It also seemed that this inn did a wonderful business. And Soredamor was all prepared to give them some more of that business. The growling of her stomach had returned, and she cursed it silently, and silenced it with the thought of finding rest here.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:28 AM   #931
Umwë
Animated Skeleton

Umwë has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Umwë
1420! Friends

Saw two other elves sitting by another table not far away from him. Suddenly the elven woman rose up and walked over to their table. Umwë felt surprised and unsure about what he should say. Fortunatley the woman took the initiative in the conversation. She introduced herself and asked him to join her and her friend by the other table. The fact that Umwë was asked about joining them made him feel a lot better. He followed the woman over to the other table, and the smile on his lips was greater than ever.

"Soronume," Eleniel began as he stepped from his seat to allow her to sit down, "my lady". "Soronume, this is Umwë, and Umwë, Soronume". He put forward his hand in greeting to this new face, "I am pleased to meet you Umwë. Please, sit down". He gestured for Umwë to sit down next to Eleniel, before Soronume took seat on the other side of the small table.

"So Umwë, what brings you to the Shire and the inn?" Soronume politely questionned.

"I've been here before. But that was... A while ago." Umwë started and fumbled with the teaspoon. "I have been visiting my brother for a last farewell before he sailed to Valinor."

Umwë's smile disappeared and his eyes that shined bright in the sun faded. The silence embarrased Umwë a bit and he cleared his throat and said "Hm, well, what brings you here, fellow elves?"

He turned from Eleniel to Soronume. They seemed nice, and maybe they would make friends. At this point he felt lonely. All of his family and those he cared about and had loved, had left him behind. He was very careful now about what he said and what he did. He simply didn't want to ruin anymore friendships.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #932
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel blushed.

"Oh sir," she said. "I am not an elf, although I must say I am rather flattered. My name is Eleniel, and I am a human from Laketown. My dog Arrow and I are on a trip to purchase merchandise for my shop."

Hearing his name, the silver dog emerged from his hiding place under the table and sat down at Umwë's feet. His tail thumped noisily against the wooden floor. Whining, the dog sat up on its hind legs and pawed the air.

"Stop begging; I fed you five minutes ago," scolded Eleniel. Arrow cast her a dirty glance that clearly stated that one could never have too much food. Eleniel chuckled and scratched the dog's ears. He pointedly ignored her and turned back to Umwë.

"Don't mind him, sir, he's just spoiled," she said. "If he gets too annoying I'll send him into the stables." Arrow's head swiveled around and shot Eleniel the 'You Wouldn't Dare' look.

As Arrow slunk back under the table to search for remains of his breakfast, Eleniel looked back to Soronume to wait for his reply to Umwë's question.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #933
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
‘Now what are they about?’ asked Derufin. The roof was patched, the wooden shingles in place. He had come down to see what hand he could lend to the finishing up of the extra room in the cottage.

Ferdy stood in the midst of his pals, a ways away from the work site. Tools lay idle as Tomlin, Gil, Ferrin, and Fallon gathered round him. ‘Like a gaggle of five geese,’ chuckled Andwise, looking up from his work on the cottage’s front door. ‘All honking out their advice and slapping their big feet about in the dirt, while the one in the middle looks on, eyes wide, and ruffles his feathers uncomfortably.’ Andwise motioned for Derufin to come nearer. ‘What do you think of the design I’ve started?’ he pointed to the twining holly and ivy leaves, all carved out carefully about the edge.’

‘What’s this?’ asked Derufin. ‘You’ve changed the design here in the middle, haven’t you?’

‘I have,’ said Andwise, running his fingers over the heart he had begun to tease out of the wood. ‘You told me you wanted no reminders of your past, so I’ve put your heart here and within it,’ he continued, pointing to the small design at the center of it, ‘will be Zimzi’s sea-star.’ He looked sideways at the man. ‘What do you think?’
Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #934
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Derufin looked quietly at what the Hobbit had done. ‘Tis perfect,’ he said quietly, clapping Andwise on the back. ‘It will be a welcoming sign for all who come to our door.’ He looked away for a moment. ‘Thank you,’ he finished simply.

The clamor of voices from the five lads had risen. Two of them, Tomlin and Gil had hooked their arms through Ferdy’s, and appeared to be trying to convince their friend of something. Ferrin and Fallon stood before their three linked friends, nodding their heads in agreement and offering their own advice, their hands gesturing broadly to make their points. Ferdy had a serious look on his face as he sifted through the offered advice.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:38 PM   #935
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Lily and Posco had sat down and eaten lunch mostly in silence; both of them felt to be starving and were focused on the meal rather than chatting. Now, her hunger sated, Lily sat back contentedly. Life was good. She was about to say something to start up conversation again now that the meal was over, but she hesitated when she noticed a middle-age hobbit enter the inn. This was not unusual, but Lily’s interest was piqued as the hobbit looked about the room and began to head for her.

“Excuse me, miss,” he said as he approached her. “But would you be Miss Lily Thistlewool?”

“Yes, that’s me,” replied Lily cautiously. She wondered what this hobbit could want from her. He smiled at her response. “Very good, miss. Then I have a letter here for you.” He removed the envelope from his front pocket and handed it to her. Lily recognized her aunt’s loopy handwriting.

“Thank you, sir,” said Lily. She pulled a coin out of her pocket and handed it to him.

“Thank you, and good day to you,” he said, and with a slight bow turned and headed back outside. Lily was curious about the reason for the letter, and stuck her finger underneath the seal to break it.

“Do you mind?” Lily asked Posco with a questioning glance. She hoped he would not consider it rude to read her letter in front of him.

“No, go on ahead,” he answered. She pulled the paper from the envelope and found a full page of writing, written small so as to fit more into the space. For now, Lily began to scan the letter for anything interesting; she could read the news more closely later, when she was alone. Dearest Lily, I hope you are enjoying yourself in the Shire. I have missed your lively conversation... Lily was relieved to find everything was going well for her aunt, uncle, and brother. When she got to the final paragraph, she frowned and reread, hoping she had misunderstood:

I have saved the best new for last, and I am sure you will be as pleased as we are. I almost waited until you were home to surprise you, but I cannot resist. Perhaps a week back, young (though I suppose he is not so young any more) Tommy Banks came by the house, asking for you. He was disappointed to find that you were away, and instead asked your uncle for permission to court you when you returned. Your uncle, of course, granted it to him, and I am sure you will be pleased as Tommy is a fine lad...

Lily’s face paled. What would she say to them? She had no intention of allowing Tommy to court her; she had Posco now. Lily let the letter fall to the table. Breathing was difficult.

“Is everything all right?” Posco asked her, clearly concerned.

“Yes... just some surprising news from home is all,” Lily managed to get out. She did not care to think of it as a lie, exactly. She only knew that if she had told him the truth, she might very well succeed in driving him away, something she could by no means allow. She set her mind firmly: she would enjoy her time here with Posco, go home and get things straightened out, and return to Buckland to marry Posco. She could only hope it would go so easily as that.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #936
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Posco studied Lily keenly, and he shook his head. "Surprising news, and bad news, I'd think," he said. "It's not nothing, Lily, the lack of colour in your face shows that."

"It... it may be a little bad," she said, after some hesitation, "but nothing very serious. It will be resolved soon."

Now, Posco was a very shy lad, it is admitted, but he was by no means stupid. It was easy to see that the news from home was bad, and that it was bothering Lily. Very easy to see that. Her reaction to it made it obvious. And while he could not boast to know her well, he felt he knew her well enough (well enough to marry her, at least, and that must be rather well), and he was positive that in any circumstance she would tell him the bad news. But she did not want to tell him. Why? Because she was afraid to tell him. Why? Obviously because it concerned him.

"Did your aunt say anything about me, Lily?" he questioned.

"No," she replied.

"Then she said something that concerned me."

"She said nothing about you at all."

Posco sighed, and shook his head again. "Lily, my dear little Lily," said he. "I can't make you show me the letter, or tell me what was in it, but I know it involves me somehow, however indirectly. Indeed, I can't make you and I won't make you. But I'd be awfully glad to hear; I might be shirking some responsibility if I go unaware of it." He paused, and looked earnestly at her. "Perhaps I am wrong," he said, his voice low and musing. "Perhaps it doesn't concern me? But if it does, Lily... you decide what to do about it. Because, you see, it is mostly your business, even if it does concern me a little, and I wouldn't want to interfere."
Old 10-26-2004, 07:35 PM   #937
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
“Oh, Posco,” Lily whispered. She knew he was right; it did involve him, at least a little, and he did have a right to know. What he had just said, however unknowingly, was exactly what she feared, though. If he felt he had some sort of responsibility, for example to let her go so she could do as her aunt and uncle wished and court Tommy, he might leave her. Or perhaps he would misunderstand her feelings. She would not bear losing him. Lily steadied herself. She had to tell him, and hope he understood. He was watching her, openly and expectantly.

“All right,” said Lily quietly, though loud enough to be heard. “I will tell you. But first, promise me that you will not misunderstand my feelings in this. It will not be as you might think.”

“I’ll try not to,” replied Posco, frowning slightly. Lily nodded, biting her lower lip before continuing. She could not meet his eyes.

“You are right in thinking that it involves you,” said Lily, slowly. She still was not exactly sure how to say this. “You see, there is a lad in Bree, Tommy Banks. Tommy comes from a good family, the type I’m sure my aunt and uncle might expect me to marry into eventually. He has asked my uncle’s permission to court me, when I return.” Lily’s voice sank to a whisper. “My uncle said yes. My aunt is thrilled, and expects I will be, too. I don’t know how I will tell them that I never could, and poor Tommy! My uncle is a fine hobbit so long as you meet his expectations, and there aren’t very many, but I could never live up to his expectations in this. It may complicate matters between us.” Lily looked up at Posco, imploring him to understand. Her throat felt dry, and her eyes wet. Everything had been going so well, and now this. She blinked back the tears. She would not let Posco see her cry. All she needed was for him to understand. Then it would be all right.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #938
brim
Pile O'Bones

brim has just left Hobbiton.
Save for reworked post.

Please enable your Private Message function. Send me a Private Message (PM) when you have done so.

I need to send your post back, with some suggestions, to you to be redone.

You will need to have your PM's turned on if you intend to play in any games in the Shire.

Thanks!

~*~ piosseniel, Shire Moderator

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-28-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:26 AM   #939
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Alameth paused outside the inn and peered at the sign. “The Green Dragon,” she mused. “Reputable place, from all I’ve heard.” She tried to freshen her appearance, if only a little, before entering; but when she had finished, her golden hair still hung rather limp about her shoulders, and her green dress and cloak (which both looked more brown by now) were still hopelessly dirty. As she stepped in the door, she was practically assailed by smells of ale, food cooking, and pipe smoke. What she saw surprised her: in addition to the hobbits (who were nearly everywhere), there were many men and Elves. She was startled, but happy to see people of her own race after her long journey from her home in Rohan. It must have been a month since she had seen anyone besides hobbits! Not that she wasn’t fond of the little folk; who couldn’t be?

Alameth noted, especially, that two elves and a woman were conversing. A woman! She was nearly desperate for company of her own gender and race, so she decided to approach them. They looked friendly enough.
“Excuse me,” she said, taking advantage of a lull in their conversation. “I hope I’m not intruding, but I’ve been traveling a long time by myself, and I’d like to join you, if you wouldn’t mind.” She smiled hopefully.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:34 AM   #940
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel looked up at the newcomer; a human woman like herself. She was pleasantly suprised to find a traveller of her own race and gender here in the Shire.

"Of course," she said with a smile. "Have a seat! The more the merrier, as I always say! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Eleniel of Laketown. These are my companions, the elves Soronume and Umwë."

Arrow perked his ears and wagged his tail as the woman approached.

"And this is my dog, Arrow." She finished. The dog sniffed the newcomer's hand and sat at her feet. "Don't mind him, he won't bite. He's just spoiled."

"So," Eleniel continued as she made room for the newcomer. "Where do you come from, friend?"

Last edited by Maeggaladiel; 10-28-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #941
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Alameth smiled as the woman introduced herself, her companions, and her dog.
“Does he always take to strangers like this?” she asked, gesturing at the dog at her feet. “My name is Alameth. I come from Rohan. This is my first visit to the Shire.”

“And what brings you here?” she asked Eleniel. “Something important, I would assume.”
Old 10-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #942
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel laughed, and the dog's tail thumped loudly against the floor.

"Yes," she said. "He likes anyone who is capable of petting or feeding him."

She took another sip from her mug, wetting her throat before continuing.

"I'm here on business," she said. "I own a shop in Laketown, called The Raven's Nest. Arrow and I are on our annual trip to buy merchandise." She reached down and scratched the dog's silver ears.

"It's been a rather slow year for aquisitions," she continued. "But I never regret taking a trip. How about you, lady Alameth? What business brings you all the way from Rohan?"
Old 10-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #943
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield Alameth's story

Alameth paused slightly before answering Eleniel’s question. “Not business, really, but it’s quite a long story,” she said. “I’ll try to be brief, but I’m known for running on and on with my tales.”

“You see, my father was killed in the War of the Ring; the battle of the Pelennor Fields, to be specific. My mother died of grief shortly after. My brother and I were left to fend for ourselves. I’m only nineteen, though you may think I look older, and I’ve never been more than five miles from Edoras. My brother challenged me to make this trip. He seems to think that just because I’m a woman, I don’t have the strength for such a journey.”

“I suppose I’ve proved him wrong now, but I must admit that I’m at a loss to know what to do next. I had hoped you might be able to help.”
Old 10-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #944
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
After the tumble, which had left her feeling a little shaken, although she would never have admitted it, and the tears which she had felt rising in her eyes, Jinniver had felt in need of some comfort. Her first thought was to go to see that her faithful cart horse, Nutkin, was no worse off for the fright that the fighting cats had given him. He was safely back at the paddock, feasting on a bale of hay, and he only gave Jinniver the merest flicker of recognition. Regardless, she patted the old horse and then put her arms about his thick neck, more for her own comfort than his. He snorted at the interruption to his eating, and with a sigh, Jinniver patted him and walked away again.

Her spirits were low and she knew that no amount of hard work would shake off her mood. She realised that she needed a little time to herself, and seeing that she wouldn’t find any at the cottage, she decided to take a short walk down into Hobbiton.

Her cheeks red with the exercise and fresh air, Jinniver came back up the lane towards the Green Dragon. Her clothes were even dirtier from the dust on the road, but she wasn’t quite so concerned. A few travellers had passed her by who were wearing clothes that she could only describe as filthy. Some of them had looked like fine folk, and she thought to herself that what was good enough for them, must surely be good enough for her.

Even so, the little nagging voice which always told her to make a good impression could not be completely silenced. It was the voice of her mother, a fine woman who was as much of a lady as any woman could be, despite being a farmer’s wife. She had died a long time ago, ill for some years with ‘the pains‘ as she delicately put it. But even when ill, her mother had taken care to be clean and neat, and some had mistaken her for a woman of much higher status. She was always in the back of Jinniver’s mind, telling her to be sensible, to be respectable, to make the best of herself. And this was something which Jinniver, once she was grown and the dark days were over, was all too aware of.

The voice in her mind became quieter as the now familiar sight of the inn came into view. The hobbit lads were up to something, she could see, and this sight cheered her up. Her dark mood had long since melted away. The flowers she had seen in the hedgerows had played no small part in this, and she carried a bunch of them now as she walked back towards the cottage, smiling. Seeing one of the cats who had frightened Nutkin lazing in the sun at the side of the lane, she stopped to tickle his chin and rub his ears, his misdemeanour now forgotten.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #945
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel's smile dissappeared as Alameth told her story.

"I am sorry for your loss," she said. "The death of a loved one, especially a parent, can be unbearable." She looked away for a moment, silent. A moment later, however, the smile was back on her face.

"You said you thought I might be able to help you," she said. "Perhaps you're correct." She looked at Alameth. The girl was right; Eleniel never would have guessed she was only nineteen. So young for travelling all alone. Eleniel was only a few years older than Alameth was when she began traveling for The Raven's Nest, but her father had gone with her. Now she was older, but going alone still held its dangers.

"Do you intend to return to Rohan?" she asked Alameth. "Or do you wish to keep traveling? Either way, I'm sure I could help you." She had some coins in a purse, if Alameth needed funds to return home, she could donate. If Alameth needed direction, she could point her shoes in the right way. If she needed a travelling companion, Eleniel could fix that too. She wanted to help in any way she could.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:19 PM   #946
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alameth fidgeted. Eleniel was kind to offer help, having only met her moments before. But perhaps that was only because she had revealed her age. Or the fact that she no longer had any parents. She fidgeted again, but decided to take the offered help, whatever it might entail. "I would be happy for any help you could give."

"As I said, I am at quite a loss as to what I'll do next. I don't, however, have much a desire to go home quite yet. The only lands I've seen have been west of Anduin. Perhaps I could travel with you?" She looked down at the silver dog underneath the table. "From what you've told me of Arrow, I don't think he would mind having one more person to pamper him."
Old 10-31-2004, 10:04 AM   #947
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

"What can we do?" said Fáinu to himself, "cursed and weekend. Never shall my eyes see aman. For I can but see a future of backend skies and mists that cloud all." He seemed to have killed the mood quite nicely. he had taken to muttering to himself in many of his previous misadventures. mostly dark forebodings, getting his thoughts in line and in order.

Cree had heard his words and did not seem to be pleased. he had so far done very little to suggest that he was even going to try to find happiness. She was almost giving up on him when he lifted his head. she saw all the sorrow and regret, and all his bitterness deeply embedded within his eyes.

"Dose any know what will happen?" he sighed, "will we all perish? or find bliss in Valinor? Who can tell? only Manwe and Varda. But I think we two have a part to play. and I believe that this part shall be played side by side. do you not agree?"
Old 11-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #948
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel laughed as Arrow wagged his tail.

"Oh no," she said. "I don't think he'd mind that at all."

She looked at Alameth for a moment, considering something.

"I suppose I COULD use some extra help," she mused to herself. She paused a moment to consider what this could mean. It would be nice to have someone to talk to who could actually answer. Alameth had already proven that she was capable of traveling long distances on her own, so Eleniel didn't need to worry about anything like that.

"Do you have a horse in the stables?" Eleniel asked. Since Alameth was from Rohan, Eleniel could assume that she had some experience with horses. That could be useful. "If not, do you know how to ride or saddle one?"
Old 11-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #949
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

“Yes,” Alameth said. “I have a horse. He’s in the stables.”

She thought about what travelling with Eleniel might be like. She would have someone to talk to; she would certainly learn new things, see new places. Who knew? This would probably be a good experience for her. Being only nineteen had its limitations. It would be good to get to know someone older and wiser.

When she had left Rohan, Alameth had not been entirely sure of herself. This time she was. She would learn everything she possibly could while travelling with Eleniel, and try to be a help to her.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #950
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Well then," said Eleniel, rubbing her palms together. "I don't see any reason why you couldn't join us when we leave the Green Dragon. I warn you, however, that I don't intend to leave right away; I have some business to take care of here. Does that bother you?"

She rose from her chair and walked over to the bar, refilling her mug.

"Are you hungry, Alameth?" she asked. "I happen to know that the Green Dragon has an excellent cook."

On her return to the table, Eleniel cast a questioning glance at her elven companions, who had remained uncharacteristically silent during her exchange with Alameth.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:28 AM   #951
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Yes," Alameth said to Eleniel. "I am a little hungry." Her stomach growled, reminding her that she hadn't had anything to eat since that morning.

"I don’t mind if you don’t move on right away," she continued. "I hadn’t considered staying, but I don’t mind." She saw Eleniel give a pointed look to the Elves at the table. They had been rather quiet. She wondered if that was normal for them.

Alameth looked at them too. "Now," she said, "that I’ve told you as much about myself as I can briefly, won’t you tell me about yourselves?"
Old 11-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #952
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel brought Alameth some lunch and sat down beside her.

"How rude of me," she said. "I've barely introduced myself. Well, as I've told you before, I own a shop in Laketown called The Raven's Nest. It belongs... well, it BELONGED to my father, and he left it to me when he passed away.

"I grew up in Laketown, not far from the docks where the elves of Eryn Lasgalen come to trade. All the children used to spy on the elves, hiding behind stacks of barrels as the elves bartered with the humans for wine and other goods. We thought they were magical. I suppose those days sparked my desire to travel, to see the realms where elves lived in their forest palaces and the plains where the Rohirrim rode on their mighty horses.

"When my father bought the shop, he would go out searching for merchandise while my mother and I ran the storefront, along with a young man my father hired. That was many years ago, when I was very young and my mother was still alive. She taught me how to sell things and how to do math for inventory and sales.

"She died a few winters later of sickness. Her last gift to me was Arrow here." She paused, looking fondly down at the silver dog searching for crumbs under the table. She sombered. "He was a birthday present. Somehow I think she knew she was going to die. She told me that he was to be my dearest friend and would watch over me when she could not." She scratched his pointed ears.

"Then it was just me and father. He would go searching for goods, leaving me alone with the shop. It hurt to be there by myself; I was constantly turning around, expecting my mother to be standing at the counter with a smile on her face. Finaly, after much begging and pleading, father let me come with him on his travels. After that, I just knew that I was meant to be on the road. I loved it; there was always something new to see or learn, every day was an adventure. From that year forward, father let me come with him, teaching me how to aquire merchandise and survive on the road. I've been travelling ever since."

She smiled.

"Is there anything else you'd like to know?" she asked. It felt good to be talking to someone who could respond. Arrow was her dearest friend, but 'woof' isn't much of a conversation.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:37 PM   #953
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Aman regarded Tobias silently for a moment, her eyes troubled, before she turned with a sigh to look out the window, her arms crossed at her chest. Tobias sagged wearily, hanging his head. "I knew you wouldn't believe me, Aman," he began, sadly. "I suppose I can thank you for not-"

"Don't be ridiculous, Tobias," Aman snapped in reply, turning her head so that her sharp profile, made sharper by anxiety, was outlined by the afternoon light which shone blithely at odds to the tense air in the room. Silence reined in the room for a few minutes as the Innkeeper looked silently out of the large window, and when she spoke, her voice was soft, but slightly dangerous. "Why did you not tell me before, Tobias?"

As a privately educated hobbit, Tobias had experienced from many a-tutor that actually, disappointment is far worse than screaming rage. In fact, compared to the quiet disappointment in the Innkeeper's voice, Tobias would have preferred screaming rage much better. He didn't reply, looking glum. Aman sighed and turned around, her head outline by a halo of light until the pulled her hair out and ran the fingers of one hand through in distractedly as she looked at Tobias. Taking a deep breath, she exhaled slowly, then came forward to where the hobbit was sitting, with Snaveling standing silently by, a darksome guardian angel. She poured out a glass of fine red port from the decanter beside the chair and, to Toby's surprise, handed it to him. She offered Snaveling some, but he declined, and so took the crystal glass herself, but did not drink from it: she knew she was going to need a clear head, and would soon need to get the Thain's mens' heads most clouded indeed if she was to pull this off for Toby.

"Absolution..." she murmured softly, sinking into a chair and speculatively rubbing the rim of the glass gently round and round. She sat forward suddenly. "Have you told this Opal that you did not kill your cousin?"

Toby shook his head vehemently. "Oh, no, no, no. I have not talked to my dear sister for some time: once she exposed my crimes, I fled, and so you find me with not a penny to my wretched name."

"Oh, Tobias, don't talk like that: I quite believe that it wasn't deliberate and therefore doesn't count as a crime." She paused, then conceded: "Well, not such a severe one anyway."

"But that's just the thing, Aman!" Toby wailed, apparently snapping. "It doesn't matter one snip that I didn't know: Lotho Sackville Baggins didn't know and look where that got him!"

"I don't think that is quite the same thing-"

"He's right, Aman. Ignorance is no defence, or else everyone would be using it." Snaveling spoke for the first time in a few minutes, his voice sombre, and Aman looked up sharply, before looking back at Toby again, shrugging into her seat a little further. "Oh, I suppose you are right... But Toby, your sister...surely if you talked to her...?"

"Talked to her?" Toby snorted desolately. "I don't think so, Aman. Talking isn't something Opal does awfully well: screaming, finger-pointing and sniping she has down to a fine art, but talking...not so much. As I said, not much love has been lost between us over the years."

"Aye, but she is your sister, Toby." She paused, still circling the rim with a finger ruminatively, her brow furrowing as a thought grew. "I don't know, it just seems rather...sudden, you know."

There was a pause. "Twenty years ago...?" Toby began cautiously. Aman waved it away. "No, no. I mean Opal's sudden detective ability coming out against you: it seems rather sudden, after all these years..." She paused again, and realisation suddenly dawned on Toby.

"You think she was trying to set it up against me?"

Aman didn't move. Toby hesitated, then shook his head, sinking back into his chair as he rubbed his forehead. "No...no. Sure, what reason would she have other than, well, to take me down for the crimes which I did commit?"

Aman raised an eyebrow. "Well...you're not badly off economically, Toby," she replied frankly.

Toby hesitated, then shook his head again, still justifying it in his head. "No..."

Aman sighed, then leant forward towards Toby. "Tobias Hornblower, no matter what the case may be, we need to get this sorted one way or that other, and there really is only that one way: sooner rather than later, we need to pay your dear sister a visit."
Old 11-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #954
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Cree didn't know how to answer Fáinu's question. "Fáinu we will perish when the time is come for us both to leave. I hope never to leave your side. May we both find bliss in Valinor or find bliss some where in this world." Cree's heart was beating heard in her chest. She wasn't sure now what would happen to her. Another year of her life was about to be over with and she had already lost too much in this year. Avalon was beyond her reach. She had allowed her only true friend to go away from her for a while.

"Who knows what will become of us? No one can truly tell what will occur in the future. The only thing we can do is set back and watch as the world crumbles at out feet. There is nothing we can do but perhaps help the world and attempt to keep it from coming to an end before we are ready to accept out fate." Her words echoed in her mind. She knew that Fáinu had heard her. She tried to force a smile but wasn't able to disguise her despair very well.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #955
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

"In life, all that we have may be given up. And so in death, we receive it." Fáinu seemed to be looking to something far off. Almost as if he was looking over the horizon. "That was what an old friend of mine told me. A man of Númenorian blood he was and much he could see in the hearts of others."

Cree looked up and saw that he seemed to have changed in mind, less the ragged worn shadow he had been, and more like his former self. It seemed a shadow had departed and he was now thinking clearly. Much she marvel over this, as it seemed that he had been wandering in another world, trying to escape some fate, but now he had embraced it and was set free.

"Nought that hath happened to thee shall be in vain," he said, "Soon, thou shalt see all that thou hast done, has been working towards a greater victory. Dost thou not see the flame in thine own heart?" Cree was lost, his words were strange, and she did not follow his meaning. "Much valour is within you, Cree. Forget not that, for soon you shall see it. The death of your father was not the fault of thee, know that in your heart."

Then, the shadow seemed to return to Fáinu's appearance. He lost the majesty in his face and his words became less clear. He sat back in his chair and placed a hand on the table. it was his wounded hand. Cree thought she could see smoke coming from beneath the bandages, but when she looked again, it was normal.

"Nothing is lost forever," Fáinu said quietly to himself, "The day will come when all shall be clear."
Old 11-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #956
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alameth silently ate the lunch Eleniel had brought her while Eleniel told her about herself. The food was good. Better than what she'd had at other inns along the way, in fact.

Eleniel's question rang in her ears: "Is there anything else you'd like to know?" She wanted to know everything. How long Eleniel had been taking trips to find merchandise for her shop; how many years she had owned it; what it was like to own a shop like that; who she left in charge of the shop while she was gone, or if she just closed it. But it would never do to ask all these at once.

"What is it like?" she asked. "Owning a shop, I mean. How long have you had it? And what do you sell there? Everything? Oh, dear," Alameth regretted asking so many questions. "I got quite ahead of myself. I only meant to ask one question, and there I go asking three. I hope you don't mind. I've always been plagued with curiosity. Mother used to say it would be my undoing...." Her voice trailed off at the thought of her mother. Even after twelve years, it was still difficult to think of her without getting a tear in her eye.

She snapped herself out of her reverie. It would do no good to cry in front of three people. Eleniel might be sympathetic, but she wasn't sure about the elves.

"But so far," she said with a smile, "my curiosity has only helped. It has dwindled somewhat since I was six, but as you can tell, I still haven't been able to quench it."
Old 11-07-2004, 09:58 PM   #957
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
“I do not think that such a wise idea, Aman.”

Snaveling was the first to break the long silence that had fallen upon the friends. The Innkeeper looked surprised to hear him speak – or rather, she appeared to be surprised by the condescending tone that he had used with her. Snaveling modulated his approach somewhat, reminding himself that he had not yet had a chance to speak with the girl about her feelings, and about the hopelessness of her love for him. There was, however, no such time for that conversation now. Toby’s situation commanded their immediate attention.

Turning his attention to his friend, Snaveling crouched down before the Halfing and placed his hand upon the fellow’s small shoulder. “Toby,” he said quietly. “Do you have any hope that your sister would be willing to listen to your explanation?” Toby merely shook his head mutely. Snaveling sighed and rose once more to face Aman. “You see, he knows his sister better than we, and even Tobias despairs of her impartiality. Besides, what matter if we could convince her of Tobias’s story, his guilt has already been proclaimed by the Thain, and Toby himself has admitted to having collaborated with the invaders.”

Aman made to protest but Toby prevented her. “No no, mistress, do not try to absolve me of this. Snaveling speaks true. I did not put the knife into my cousin, but I whetted the blade for sure. If it had not been for me…”

“Enough!” the girl cried, and to Snaveling’s surprise there were tears in her eyes as she spoke. “I won’t hear any more of this! You did nothing wrong, Toby. At least, nothing that many others who are free and guiltless, and easy in their conscience, also did during those terrible days. And you,” she said, whirling upon the Man, “you, who have received the mercy and the justice of the King. For you to counsel despair now…it is senseless. Why would you deny your friend the same chance that was afforded yourself?”

“For the simple reason, dear lady, that I was given justice by the King Elessar, while Toby here is dependent upon the whim of a ridiculous family and…” he caught himself, and looked quickly at Toby. Seeing this, Aman’s face grew hard and she spoke venom at him.

“Nay, Master Snaveling, do not silence yourself on our account. Say what thoughts are in your mind.”

“I do not think them worth the utterance,” he replied coldly. “We should cease this wrangling and look to the matter at hand.”

But the Innkeeper was not to be put off so easily. She had recovered her usual composure and stepping close to Snaveling she looked at him evenly. “I agree, but this matter is important. If Toby is going to rely upon our help, he should know how we feel about the people who control his fate. You were about to offer up an opinion about the Thain of the Shire, I believe.”

Snaveling’s eyes grew cold and hard. He stood tall and in his voice there was iron. “Are you sure you wish to pursue this matter, Aman? Be warned, for it shall pain you and Tobias more than ever it shall pain me!”

Toby now spoke up. So rapt had the man and woman been in each other that they had almost forgotten the ragged gentlehobbit, sitting quietly in his armchair. “Snaveling,” he said gravely, “if you have something to say about my Thain, I wish to hear it.” Snaveling and Aman looked at Toby in wonderment, for in his voice there was a dignity and a reserve the like of which they had but rarely seen in him. “Please,” he said again simply. “For the sake of our old friendship – what is it that you would say about my people?”

Snaveling withdrew from Aman and Toby somewhat, into the shadows of the darker corner. Drawing himself upright he spoke with a distant tone. “Very well. You would know what I think of this Thain and of his officers. Then hear: I have heard the tales of the Halflings who came to my King’s aid during the War, and while I believe those stories, I cannot believe that the valour ascribed to these folk is at all earned. From what I have seen the denizens of this land are a silly, foolish lot, and I would rather that Toby not trust to what little wisdom can be found here. This Thain of Toby’s has clearly been misled by a stupid woman. If Toby is to take my counsel he will leave this land and come with me to the south, where he can be free of these ridiculous folk for good!”
Old 11-08-2004, 09:53 AM   #958
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eleniel smiled at Alameth's flood of questions.

"Curiosity is nothing to be ashamed of," she said. "Indeed, where would we be if not for curiosity? We'd have no art, no inventions.

"Well, to answer your first question, owning a shop is both a pleasure and a curse. It's a lot of work-- inventory, accounting and whatnot-- but for me it's well worth the effort. Income changes depending on the market, obviously; if people are safe, economically sound, and have time on their hands, then business is good. If we're under attack or are suffering from financial hardship, then my shop gets fewer customers. Right now, things aren't going as well as expected; we're still suffering from last spring's flood. It washed out a bridge and flooded nearby farms, and Laketown is still repairing damages. I suppose that's the downside of living on a river. If the snow melts too quickly, we all end up swimming to work. That means people have less time or money to buy anything other than food or building supplies.

"Obviously things would get a bit difficult to manage while I'm out searching for merchandise, so I've hired a few people to run things while I'm gone. Otherwise I'd have to close shop for several months. Not very good for business.

"I sell a little of everything; I try to gather things from all across Middle Earth to interest the people of Laketown as well as visitors. Clothing, weaponry, pottery, jewlery, sweets, musical instruments, quill pens and everything in between."

She took a sip of her ale.

"I've told you a bit about my life," she said. "What about yours? What is it like in Rohan? I've visited there a few times, but only for a few days. Where do you live?"
Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #959
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
It was late afternoon by the time Derufin came down from the roof. The tar was set, the shingling in place. He was certain he’d been thorough, but the next rain would be the judge of it. It was quiet in the house below, the lads had finished as much as they could for the day. The extra room was done and painted, as was the rest of house. Ferdy had finished the cabinets and put them back. Now all that awaited was the paint to dry and the hardware put onto the doors and drawers.

Andwise was just finishing up the front door. He plied his soft brush over it, removing the wood shavings and fine dust in the creases of the carvings. ‘As a last touch, he took the soft handkerchief from his back pocket and rubbed away with a touch of saliva a spot or two of dirt. ‘Here,’ he said, motioning for the man to come give a hand. ‘Let’s stand this up on the porch beneath the eaves.’

The two muscled the heavy oak door up the few steps and stood it against the porch wall next to the doorway. Andwise took the handkerchief in hand and wiped the sweat from his brow. ‘What say we go for a pint,’ said Derufin, as he inspected the door. ‘The lads are already there, I’m sure. and we can get them to help us put the door on a little later.’ He clapped the Hobbit on the back, nodding with his head toward the Dragon.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:59 PM   #960
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

GREEN DRAGON INN FACTS:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne of the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor.

Mirkwood has been reclaimed by the Elves and is now called Eryn Lasgalen.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is: Aman – a young woman from Rohan.

Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

Vinca Bunce, widowed, Inn Cook (character played by Piosenniel)

Derufin, General handyman/jack-of-all-trades round the Inn (played by Envinyatar)

Meriadoc - Stablemaster

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff from Bywater and Postmaster for this area of the Shire; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Please Note:

No 'SAVES' are allowed in the Inn (except for modifications needed to be made by the Moderators or Innkeeper).

With the exception of the Innkeeper and the Moderators, no OOC (Out Of Character) comments are allowed in the Inn.

Only the Innkeeper, Amanaduial, or the Moderators move the timeline for the Inn forward.

Visitors to the Inn will need to read the posts that come before theirs to get an idea of what time it is in the Shire, what the weather is like, and what is happening.

No violence is allowed in the Inn or on Inn grounds.

Please be familiar with the rules for the Inn and Games in The Red Book of Westmarch, the first topic in the Shire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Elves in Shire RPG's:

Please use this description from Tolkien when crafting an Elf:

Return of the King – Appendix F: Tolkien’s description for the Quendi (The Speakers) – the name given to the Elves by themselves after they first awoke in Middle-earth.

“They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as Kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finrod; and their voices had more melodies than any mortal voice that is now heard . . .”

Please use this as a guideline for describing your Elven character’s appearance.