The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #1
Legolas'Beloved
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'Beloved has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Legolas'Beloved
Silmaril Where's Arwen's mother?

It's basically as simple as that. Where is her mother? In the book, it says,

"But her brothers, Elladan and Elrohir, were out upon erantry: for they rode often far afield with the Rangers of the North, forgetting never their mother's torment in the dens of the orcs."

So, is this saying that she was killed by the orcs? And why was she killed by them? Also, another question about elves: If they are immortal, what happens when they get stabbed? Does the damage just heal or do they die and then come back to life? But, it seems like I remember reading something somewhere about them going to a place and wandering around for a little while then coming back to this world. Was I just dreaming or do they go to like a wandering place? And one more thing: Does anyone know if Legolas is immortal or mortal. And to clarify something: When Arwen gives Aragorn her charm, is her immortality in the neckalce or was it basically like a promise ring thing? Ok, so, I think that's all! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Legolas'Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #2
Konarmi
Pile O'Bones

Konarmi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Arwen's mom, +
Queen Celebrian,
I can't find anythin in my Encyclopedia.
Konarmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

OK, to address these in reverse order.

1) The pendant was an invention of the movie, and while it was a nice symbol of Arwen giving Aragorn her heart, there's no suggestion either there or in Tolkien that immortality was or ever could be contained in an object. It's a token - think of a knight's lady giving him her kerchief before he rides off to the wars.

2) Legolas is an Elf. All Elves are immortal (even those rare exceptions like Luthien Tinuviel and Arwen who give it up later on are still born immortal). Therefore Legolas is immortal.

3) Arwen's mother is spoken of in the appendices and I *think* in Unfinished Tales (sorry, I know I've read about her somewhere, just can't remember the name of the source). She was waylaid by Orcs while traveling between Rivendell and Lothlorien and was "tormented" - details are not specified. She survived, but was so badly hurt that she found it necessary to take ship to the Undying Lands a year later to be fully healed, thereby leaving Elrond with the twins and Arwen to take care of. The impression left is that if she had not been attacked, Celebrian would not have left so early. But she is alive.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:43 PM   #4
Legolas'Beloved
Pile O'Bones

Legolas'Beloved has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Legolas'Beloved
Silmaril

Ok, so, in the Two Towers, Haldir dies. Since he is an elf does this mean he is really dead or will he be back in The Return of the King?
Legolas'Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:53 PM   #5
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wait..... Arwen did have the pendant, did she not? I thought she gave it to Frodo at the end of ROTK....
Old 01-10-2003, 12:02 AM   #6
t0MAt0

Eye

[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I thought Haldir is an immortal...how come he died in the the two towers? Will he come back to life?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #7
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

When Elves die they go to halls of Mandos in Valinor where they may return in time ( Silmarillion page 42 ).So while they do return it does not sound like they are reborn right away so as in time as it means to humans they might not return for quite a while.Anyone else able to add more to this?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:55 AM   #8
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Except in very special and limited cases, they do not return to Middle-earth. After they leave the Halls of Mandos, they stay in Valinor.

Elves are immortal in all but two cases: they can die of injuries, and they can die of a broken heart. Basically, they aren't immortal the way the Greek Gods are immortal, but they are immune to age and sickness.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:40 AM   #9
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hehe so like a Balrog you wanna kill a Elf you should toss him off a high moutain [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Or slay him in battle or stab him in the back or any other way that a man can be violently killed.

When an Elda dies, his feä (spirit) goes to the Halls of Mandos in the west of Valinor. There they wander the halls and ponder the sins of their life until the Dagor Dagrath (Last Battle) comes or (very unlikely, since Tolkien eventually discarded this notion) is sent back to be born again in one of their descendents.

Also, the whole thing about Haldir and his friends showing up at Helm's Deep is never in the book. In fact, in the book, there are only three non-humans at Helm's Deep: Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf. Also, the real saviors of Helm's Deep are not Eomer and his company; it is Erkenbrand and the men that were guarding the Fords of Isen. Also, the Ents show up at the end and scare the Orcs, which makes it all the easier for the Rohirrim to rout them.

Sorry about all that. I'm just venting my anguish about the movie and waiting for the Special Edition of TTT! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #11
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Except that it isn't the Ents. It is the Huorns.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
Etharius

Sting

I wish i still had my TT book. I lost it on the beach. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
zacattack
Haunting Spirit

zacattack has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok to settle this "Immortal" thing,Elves can't die of Old Age or Sickness but they can be taken into the care of Mando if their bodies are "broken" They will always return but in a different body,the exception to this is Glorfindel
zacattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
Mandos
Wight

Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Also, the exeption of Feanor. In the Silamarillion I believe that it states that his likeness will never be seen again.So he is one of the Eldar who will not return it seems from the Halls of Awaiting governed by Mandos. Though this is most likely a result of the kinslaying that Feanor helped come about, and the Doom of the Noldor foretold by Mandos or the Herald of Manwe.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:38 AM   #15
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

yes Arwen gives Frodo her pendant in the RoTK he holds it when his wound hurts or It's near the time when the ring was destroyed it seems to bring him comfort.

The movies are great but why did PJ have to change so much I sort of understand having to shorten it but why change anything else. Isn't it exciting enough?(sorry but heavy sarcasm.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:02 PM   #16
Aeryn Evenstar
Pile O'Bones

Aeryn Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So Elves do come back if they die but in a different body? Right...like reincarnation? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:36 PM   #17
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

Peter Jackson Probably changed some things so the storyline would be a litte easier to follow, but he should not have brought elves to Helm's Deep, he should have brought the Huorns.