The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2000, 06:05 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring Arwen's expanded role..

<BR>In an effort to add the obligatory romantic story and to give Liv Tyler the screen-time her present popularity demands, Peter Jackson, director of the upcoming Lord of the Rings movies, has expanded the role of Arwen considerably.<br> <br> According to the many web-sites dedicated to the films, Arwen has been described as a 'warrior elf princess', and she is present at the Fords of Bruinen and probably at Helm's Deep as well.<br> <br> These changes (and others) have caused an uproar among some avid Tolkien fans throughout the world. There is even a petition with over 12,000 signatures being prepared to make it known how troubling these alterations are to a lot of people. (See the petition at: <a href="http://www.tolkienonline.com">Tolkien Online - The One Ring</a>).<br> <br> What do you think??<br> <p><i><a href="mailto:barrow-wight@kitgraphics.com">The Barrow-Wight</a></b></i><br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a></p>
Old 05-04-2000, 07:21 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Maybe this is just me, but I think that she should not be at Helm's Deep. It isn't right for the story. Aragorn and Arwen (imho) are supposed to be lovers torn apart by circumstances. Them being together a lot of the time doesn't fit with that. And if Aragorn had his lover with him, Eowyn could not have the same feelings for him. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 05-05-2000, 02:12 PM   #3
galadriel2

Ring

<BR>Arwen</b><br><br> i don't think Arwen should be anywhere she isn't in the book. I realise that they are going to change it some but adding things that are not necessary will just take more time and money. I say keep Arwen at the beggining at Rivendell and at Gondor in the end. <p></p>
Old 05-05-2000, 05:44 PM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR><br><br> Since the heroic warrior female of the LotR is Eowyn, I hope they don't diminish her character to enhance Arwen's. Does anyone have any info on this? I'm not really in-the-know with all of the movie information.<br> <p><i><a href="mailto:barrow-wight@kitgraphics.com">The Barrow-Wight</a></b></i><br> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a></p>
Old 05-18-2000, 05:12 AM   #5
Celebringnar
Pile O'Bones

Celebringnar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> It's a very old understanding that 'the book' is always better than 'the film'. Directing any film requires a certain amount of artistic freestyle. However when dealing with biblical films... the story is adhered to vehimently(last temptation???-a bit of an exception). As such I think that this should also occur when dealing with the second most read book on the planet. Refering to Bakshi once more, there occur a lot of faux-pas which irritate me considerably... not least the fact that Galadriel mispronounces her husband, Celeborn's name!!! Taking all this into consideration I have to agree with Galadriel2 and Burrahobbit and the other devout fans throughout the world. Leave Arwen as Arwen, not someone else who doesn't exist. I wonder what the Professor would think...? Or CT for that matter? <p></p>
Celebringnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2000, 12:57 PM   #6
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> CT isn't allowed to think about it, or at least not to voice his thoughts, for fear of it being called an &quot;official&quot; version, which there may never be. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 07-18-2000, 06:57 AM   #7
Taimar
Spirit of the Downfallen West

Taimar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I`ve just been reading some newsgroups and note with some concern that Arwen`s role is becoming more significant as time passes. Apparently she will now be leading a contingent of Elves to participate in the Battle of Helm`s Deep. It will not surprise me in the least if Arwen ends up killing the Witch-King instead of Eowyn. As far as I am concerned Arwen is a background character and I do not think that her expanded role is justified at all.<br> <br> I was as excited as anyone about the upcoming films when they were announced, but I am becoming less enthusiastic as the months go by, bringing news of the increasing liberties being taken with the story. <p>Look into the <a href="http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/library/classiccourt/77/">Mirror of Desire.</a> </p>
Taimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 07:20 AM   #8
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Ring

<BR><br><br> The rumors of Arwen's expanded role is constantly 'expanded' upon in the newsgroups. I wouldn't rely to heavily on anything your read in there as people gleefully pump it full of disinformation just to rile us up. Sites like theonering.net and tolkienline.com are where you'll find the most likely scenario that the characters will follow in the movie. Perhaps some day <br> <br> The Barrow-Downs also provides some movie information, but for now our movie section is really just a collection of what we find throughout the net and none of out stories are exclusive (and seldom very timely). <p>The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)<br> I usually haunt <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">The Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi">Middle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 07-23-2000, 05:44 AM   #9
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I think the movie makers could save a lot of time and money by making aragorn and arwen into one character<br> [ Aragornwen] and having shim slay all nazgul and balrogs that get in the way {that way gandalf doesn't have to die and then since he doesn't need to become &quot;the WHITE[ how racially distasteful anyway] we could then eliminate saruman and the rohan riders[ and a needless arwen/elf rescue;then save on a wedding and a needless procession of elves and other &quot; High Folk &quot; from rivendell -[heck even bilbo didn't bother to go why should anyone else]. just let me at that screenplay -let me at it! : } : { : l <p></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 7/23/00 7:46:54 am<br></i>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 05:50 AM   #10
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Do you see Stallone or Schwartzeneger as the new omnipotent Aragornwen? I thought maybe with voice-overs by Jennifer Tilly to provide the needed femininity. <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 06:29 AM   #11
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: aragornwen</b><br><br> I who have said too much can and will say no more. atleast on this thread!<br> LONG LIVE ARWEN XENASTAR!<br> oops <p></p><i>Edited by <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 7/23/00 9:14:08 am<br></i>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2000, 06:48 AM   #12
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: aragornwen</b><br><br> They I probably need to shut up for an eternity. But I won't. <p></p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2000, 06:01 PM   #13
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

dogtrot has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re:arwen vs. eowyn</b><br><br> as stated above eowyn can and is the herioc female in this story, I fear that her role will be overshadowed by that Liv person, who I believe should stay ay home with Dad. As for the arwen\aragorn combination, thats funny stuff. If arwen is at the pelennor fields i hope she is nowhere near the witch king. If she even looks like she will come out of nowhere to slay him I will stay her hand. Just kidding, i really just dispise the rumors i have heard concerning Liv and her role as arwen. <p></p>
dogtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 08:41 PM   #14
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

dogtrot has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Re:arwen vs. eowyn</b><br><br> ok my new mantra will be &quot;give liv a chance, give liv a chance&quot;. just decided i didn't need to be so negative before even seeing the trailer. <p></p>
dogtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2000, 08:55 PM   #15
gamegie
Wight

gamegie has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Arwen</b><br><br> Well I don't want to see the book re-written too much. If Arwen leads a troup of elves to the Battle, then Aragorn and his doings at the battle will change and this will affect the path of the book.<br> I also sure hope that Eowyn does not get overshadowed by Arwen. <br> But I am willing to give the director a chance, I do want to see the film. Just imagine this board is going to start buzzing after the film big time.......If we all live that long.<br> <p>Charming Humble Hobbit</p>
gamegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2000, 01:54 AM   #16
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> While we're at it, why don't we get rid of Sam? I mean, all he does is run around with Frodo whilst carrying cooking gear - where's the excitement in that? <br> <br> Or perhaps we could create a new character, extrapeoplelikearagorngandalfarwensarumansametc. Then the whole movie could consist of Frodo, Mt Doom, and extrapeople...etc. Much less expensive. <p></p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:30 PM   #17
the_lord_of_change

Sting

I hope that she will be showing in any battle in the films because she is no Fighter. She is just a background Character. <P>But imho Tolkien himself confused me a little when at the end of the story Aragorn maries her and she becomes Quen of Gondor. By the time i was at that part of the book i was completely forgotten who the h*** she was! <P>But I also think that poeple are spreading rumours just to upset us and topics like this are better discussed after we have seen the movie. <P>Also that part in Fellowship whit Liv and Aragorn standing in the garden of Rivendell and bluttering something of giving up imortal live iritated me to the bones...
Old 08-28-2002, 04:33 PM   #18
the_lord_of_change

Sting

Oops i forgot to include DON'T in my first sentence... <BR>It should be: I hope that she would NOT be in any battle etc...