The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #41
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ah, but Lyta, it is as good and evil: without evil to offset it, nobody would be able to see and appreciate good. With no dark, light would be taken for granted. And so it remains with jokes that are in bad taste... without them, those who disapprove would never see the true beauty of jokes that are in good taste.

Fea
Old 02-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #42
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Ah, but Lyta, it is as good and evil: without evil to offset it, nobody would be able to see and appreciate good. With no dark, light would be taken for granted.
I forget the name of this doctrine, but it is out there somewhere! There are those who would argue to the death about whether evil is necessary to point up the good, Darkness necessary to point up the Light. But we all try to remember when all was dark and there was no fear in the darkness...somehow I can never get there, except for the fact that I require absolute darkness for getting to sleep...now where is this post going?

There is also a quality that is known to those who experience great evils--once one comes face to face with absolute or extreme evil, it is so much easier to see past masks and into the real Good and Evil, or at least my conceit would have it so. I'm sure my sight is imperfect, but it is an encouraging notion. Since this has little to do with the subject, I'll stop here!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 02-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #43
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

I was almost in tears when I found out she was "dead." I'm so glad that it is not so. Some people have a sick sense humor...

Mark12_30, your post was touching.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:48 AM   #44
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
It's true, some people do!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #45
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Reading through this thread again, and finding out this was all a prank, there are a few comments I would like to add.

First off to Melissa, I'm hopping on with the majority, what kind of person thinks it's funny to joke about someone's death, let a lone their own sisters? That's something you should be ashamed of, and I hope that as you grow up, you know not to make light of such things.

As for the other issue....why should we feel embarassed? What I have seen on this thread is the the caringness of the people on this forum. Even people who did not know Crystal as well as others posted their thoughts. We all make mistakes, surely the biggest mistake would be falling for it again (so I think we should all be careful of possible confrontations down the road). However, why should we feel embarassed, because we got fooled? An important point would be to learn from our mistakes, but don't be embarrassed because youhave a heart, and care for the general well being of others.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #46
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

"But it is the way of my people to use light words at such times and say less than they mean. We fear to say too much. It robs us of the right words when a jest is out of place."

As with hobbits, there are here some members of our community that do not do so well with difficult situations. Had Crystal Heart really died, people would have continually come forth, struggling with emotions and eloquency to offer the appropriate farewells and condolences. Since she is [thankfully] alive and well, there is no longer any need to struggle, and a few of us can say "Hey, thank God she's alive, but what is there to do now but look back and laugh?" What point can anyone here find in dwelling on the past? We can see this incidence as a cruel joke to constantly remember, or we can let it pass.

Fea
Old 03-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #47
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand RIP Death of Crystal Heart

I see it as a bad joke and a misuse of an account, but I intend to let it pass, starting right now. Please join me in wishing this topic a (not so) fond farewell.