Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 10:21 PM   #201
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hope maybe that in Adunaic "Fool of the Elves" is synonymous with Pawn of the Elves? I guess they didn't play chess in Numenor, so that'll have to do.

"Abar babar bo babar bonanna fanna fo fabar" was tempting, but it just didn't seem quite right, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the suggestion, though, TB12.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #202
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Lovely writing everyone!

Am enjoying reading along.

~*~ Pio
Old 03-13-2005, 05:07 PM   #203
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Keeping the tension

I just thought I'd mention a piece of writing wisdom I came by that never fails to make the story more interesting. Avoid the easy ways out; they tend not to be realistic, and they tend also to kill the tension that could make for a better story. If you write a smooth entry or discussion, or if you convince someone rather easily, or if you defeat your opponents in battle or brawl too easily, it comes off as "half-baked", unrealistic, and the end result is a more boring story. So try and avoid the easy way through/out/around, and allow the tension in a scene to remain, or even build on it. That's one of the ways characters become more real to the other players, and it never fails to make the story more interesting. Happy writing!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #204
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Great point LMP. A professor I had a few classes with gave me the great advice: "If nothing happens for more than 10 minutes real time, have somebody walk in with a gun, just to spice it up a bit." I suppose in our case, we could have a King's Man show up at inopportune moments. There is nothing more boring to write (not to mention read) than a story line with no "oh crap" moments.

Fea
Old 03-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #205
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

I'll attempt to have a short post up for Kathaani tomorrow, I sat down to write it tonight, but I've been in class for like eight hours today and I'm brain-frozen.

Coming up next: Hard and fast formation of the rescue party.

Hopefully Meneltarmacil will bring Thornonmir aboard soon so that the rescuers can start making real plans.

In the meantime, nice writing to all.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #206
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
hopefully my "save" on the RPG is ok, never done one before. Had to go to work before i could quite finish my post. will be up by this evening.

Thanks

TB12
Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 PM   #207
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I'm in, though details of my arrival are still pending. I'll try to fill in my save tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #208
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Sorry that TB12's save hasn't been filled in yet. I kept his post overnight to think about some things. I really like what he's written, but I think he'll want to collaborate a bit with Himaran before putting it up. So, thanks everyone for your patience with that.

Now that everyone's in I'll get Kathaani's post up.

Thanks.
Sophia

Menel when you say King's man do you mean Abarzadan? I don't think he really qualifies as a King's Man, more as an outcast who fits neither camp. I believe he's going to be taken care of by Marsillion, although your input is certainly welcome.

[Edit#2] Kathaani's post is up on the game thread, however, with the two saves in between I fully expect to have to edit it for details and whatever happens with Marsillion, Thoronmir, and Abarzadan. If anyone else needs to get in responses that happen before Kathaani's declaration, pm them to me or post them here and I will edit them into the beginning of my post.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 03-17-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: bold is so hopefully you'll all notice the newest edit
Old 03-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #209
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Please try to get SAVE's filled in 48 hours from their posting. If you can't do that - then delete your SAVE and ask someone to backpost for you when you get around to finishing it.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, Game Mod
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #210
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

I filled in my save for Marsillon, it's still in progress since i'm waiting for a pm from Himaran before I can finish it. Hopefully the rest will be up really soon. Sorry about the delay.

TB12
Old 03-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #211
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

My save is filled in. Sorry for not posting earlier, but I had a lot of homework to do. Oh, and I gave Abârzadan an excuse for being allowed to stay. Will edit as others request, as I'm not sure I portrayed Abârzadan quite as well as I could.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #212
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will be going on a class trip to the big apple leaving Monday dark and early at 6 . I plan to do another post before I go. Could someone please carry my character until I get back. My internet access on the trip is doubtful and the first time I can post for sure is Saturday night.

Thanks
- Regin
Old 03-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #213
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

i've finally filled in my post. thanks for the patience.

TB12
Old 03-20-2005, 11:54 PM   #214
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

My save is filled in. This will be my last post until I return.

-Regin
Old 03-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #215
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm dissatisfied with Thoronmir's glib (no offense intended; the adjective fits) backing of A..... um ..... Himaran's character (so many strange names, I can't keep them straight!)

Obviously, Thoronmir's words were posted before TB12's post, so it's understandable why it happened. Himaran needs to be given the chance to have his character speak for himself, in my humble opinion. Himaran, could you and TB12 work together to have your response worked into TB12's post?
Old 03-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #216
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Good points, LMP. I agree that Thoronmir's response will have to be altered a little. But since Menel's post was up before TB12's, he expected to have to edit it at least a bit. Abarzadan, since he's not familiar really with the rest of the group will have to more or less speak for himself. Although a past acquaintance with Thoronmir could probably help. Perhaps if he said Abarzadan was "no friend of the King" or something like that it would be more convincing, yet reveal less. I also agree that Himaran's post should come immediately after TB12's. If you post it here when it's ready, TB or Pio can paste it into the right place.

Regin
- what a nice post that was. Thanks for calling Kathaani on her... arrogance (do I mean arrogance?). She needs to be made to think hard about the consequences of her actions. All of you seem to have a good grip on her character. May showers of rep fall upon you.

Sophia
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #217
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

OK, I've edited my post to more closely fit Abarzadan's nature (at least, I think it fits better).
Old 03-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #218
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
I agree; and actually noticed a while back that my post needs to come directly after TB12's. Thus, I will work out my reply, pm it to him, and TB12 can edit it into the bottom of his own post. Then, based on what Abarzadan says, Thoronmir's response can be altered accordingly.

--Himaran
Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #219
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I will be out of town starting Friday afternoon, and will not be back until (I think) sometime on the afternoon of Saturday, April 2. Just thought I'd let you know of my absence.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:47 PM   #220
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree What's next?

Easter weekend, I think will be busy for many of us. Have a nice trip, Menel.

After the weekend, I think it's time to push the story along a little bit. We've all had a chance to react to the crisis. So everybody try to wrap up your initial doubts and start thinking about going along with K.

Fea, I think it falls up on you (as the only one with any real authority) to be the one to give the rescue party a boot out the door. I'm not sure how we're going to end up condoning Kathaani's participating in the rescue. Someone should speak for her, I think Tiru or Marsillion would be the best candidates for that.

So, if you'd all be so kind, take a few minutes out of your busy weekend to plan your next post and lets see if we can't get things moving a bit quicker this week.

Thanks

Sophe

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 03-24-2005 at 10:55 PM. Reason: addenda
Old 03-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #221
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Okay, first things first...

Sophia: I think you're right about Inzillomi needing to boot people out. Now that I have a feel for each person's depiction of his/her own character, I think I can post them [well] into the final decision. As for Kathaani... Inzillomi could, in effect, be the one to finally give in, being that she knows just as well as Kath the pain of losing Abarpa. She could end up thinking along the lines of "there's no way that I can go, but Kathaani could go in my place." However, I'd almost rather like Tiru to do it. He knows her abilities and her passion as well as anyone, and it would be a nice show of his "other" side. He's the stableman, yes, but he's also considered family by... the family.

And second things second...

Since I have three lovely days off from the part of life that is school, I plan on writing the post today. However, and this is the big part: I just found out today that I will be unable to access the internet from home for an unknown period of time. Not horrifically long, and I'll be able to use school computers, but this *sob* will drastically limit the amount of time I spend here. So if I don't get a post up today, you'll see it Monday afternoon, 3:30ish. Sorry for the short notice, but I just got told myself. *sniff*

Fea

**EDIT**: Change of plans. Apparently my internet is NOT being taken away, which is good. I've posted, and now everybody is officially out of my house *grin*. 'Cept Inzi, Ziraphel, and random other occupants that the King's Men will come for "tomorrow" morning. Tell me if you want anything changed.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 03-26-2005 at 05:08 PM. Reason: change in status
Old 03-28-2005, 10:08 AM   #222
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Here is my post, to be placed after TomBrady12's in the gaming thread. If you think any changes need to be made, let me know.

--Himaran

Himaran's Post

"Please identify him if you would."

A cleverly laid trap. But I have not fallen into it just yet. Abarzadan smiled casually, and glanced around the room; trying his best not to show the inward fear circumventing his heart. Slow down! If he were to get out of this one, it would have to be by sheer luck - Abarzadan had never seen any of these people, let alone Abârpânarú himself. He decided to stall for time. "It was quite a few years back since the last trade we made - and people change over the years. Now let me see..." He kept looking, judging each guest individually.

There were several men and women standing or sitting around the room, carrying on personal coversations but secretly listening since Marsillion's loud outburst. Abarzadan used this to his advantage; as the words "stable master" left the accuser's lips, one man in the room shifted and turned his head. He was small, quite small, and of a wirey frame. Surely one such as Abârpânarú would not have had this undersized and unattractive man as his stable master; that position would require one of greater social stature. A field hand, maybe, but not one with authority. Perhaps, though, that was what Marsillion wanted him to think. The man was clever indeed.

Abarzadan's gaze then shifted to another man. This one, in comparision to the other, was tall and strong; with fair features. Surely this one would be more fitting for the role of a stable master than any in this room. He opened his mouth to give an answer in this effect and then stopped - what was he doing? Going against his first insticts, and using the belief system of his father to judge others (that only those of the right physical attributes could ever lead), would not win this battle of wits. The one that moved had to be the one discussed; it was that simple. Why can't you accept that?

Putting on the best face he could, Abarzadan chuckled openly, having made his decision. "A strange request, Marsillion, a strange one indeed. However, why keep you in suspense? The man you refer to is that one there, although his name escapes me. Perhaps now I can give you a riddle, just to keep things fair..." He waited for Marsillion's reaction. The man seemed to grimace, and than caught himself.

"That is he, Abarzadan - his name is Tiru. Come, we must now discuss this matter with the others, for time is short." As he moved off, however, Abarzadan caught a glimpse of lingering distrust in his eye. You're in deep now; and there is no going back...
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #223
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

I edited Himaran's post onto mine. Let me know if it needs any changing.

TB12
Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #224
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

LMP : your quibble has been duly ammended... and all that jazz. All *should* be good now. And Him: nice writing.

Fea
Old 03-28-2005, 03:27 PM   #225
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree The long and winding road...

to Armenelos.

Nice writing Himaran, good job getting out of that cleverly made trap.

I just realized (I've been kind of dense) that my pms have been full for days, so hopefully nobody has been trying to reach me all weekend. Sorry everyone.

Everyone all ready for the next phase of our journey? I think it's time to head out. Any unfinished business from the Karibzir homestead can be dealt with in retrospect, I hope?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #226
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Sophia: perhaps when everybody meets back up at Romenna there can be a "And then this happened to us.." type meeting? Or did you mean sooner? I know you mentioned having meanwhile-back-with-the-Faithful posts a little later on, but did you have any plans on to when you wanted them? Or precisely what you wanted them to include?

Fea
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 PM   #227
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Quote:
"If nothing happens for more than 10 minutes real time, have somebody walk in with a gun, just to spice it up a bit."

Seems like things are going a bit slowly - (everyone's busy, and I am as well!). Perhaps its time for someone to walk in with a gun... or at least an axe.

- Himaran
Old 03-31-2005, 08:23 PM   #228
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It may not be a gun or an axe, but to my surprise, Mabalar discovers that one of his jailers is sympathetic. More to follow. How would y'all feel if we have another minor character?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:34 PM   #229
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Minor characters are always a nice addition - BUT please post a very brief bio of the fellow so all can have an idea how he look and acts.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #230
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

I love the idea of a sympathetic guardsman, LMP. Awesome. I'm totally for the idea.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:43 AM   #231
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

I think it's a good addition as well, LMP. I've been concerned about who Mabalar would interact with, so it solves one problem.

Fea, you can stay out of things until we reach Romenna if you want to, or you can post periodic updates somewhat like LMP has been doing now and then. You can have some storyline if you want or you can pretty much have an uneventful journey. At the very least you'll know you're with Ziraphel and probably whichever Guard Inzi knew from childhood. There are also likely some other household staff and perhaps some remnants of other Faithful families with you.

This has been a busy week for me, but thankfully the weekend is here and I'll try to get a post up for Kath this evening or tomorrow afternoon.

~Sophe
Old 04-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #232
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Stay out of things? How terrible. I'm thinking periodic updates with the occasionally event should be quite nice. After all, we wouldn't want to leave everyone wondering until forever from now what's happening with Inzi, only to find out that everything was roses and bubblegum for her. *grin*

I'll post a few posts down the road. By then, I'm sure something interesting will have happened to her.

Fea
Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #233
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Sorry about the delay in my posting, it seems Kathaani's little crisis extended to my ability to write about it. I tried and tried to write that post and it just wasn't writing.

Anyway, hopefully we can get things rolling again.

Nice addition too, Fea. I can see why Kathaani is so rebellious and impetuous. I bet her mother was a lot like that in her youth as well.

Sophia

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 04-04-2005 at 11:05 PM. Reason: xanga smilies are not the same codes as bd smilies.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 AM   #234
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
Nice addition too, Fea. I can see why Kathaani is so rebellious and impetuous. I bet her mother was a lot like that in her youth as well.
Why thankee kindly, Miss Sophia. Much like Saeryn and Odessa at The White Horse Inn, Inzi is another branch of my own personality. Since I certainly wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of dolts removing me perforce from my home, Inzi's not going to. Mind you, I'm trying like heck to distance my character from myself, but the more I read of Kathaani, the more I think you're looking into my mind and THEN typing.

So is that kind of post good for the "meanwhile, back at the ranch" scenes?

Fea
Old 04-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #235
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Excellent additions, both Sophia and Feanor.

However, if posting rate does not pick up, Mabalar may inadvertently find himself freed with aid by the time his rescuers get there! Hop to it, folks!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #236
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree *ouch*

Excellent and well needed kick in the pants, LMP.

Everyone report for duty. Get in an on the road post if you would, and we'll be drawing near Armenelos in my next post, once we've had a full round from all you adventurers.

And Fea, that's precisely the kind of update on Inzillomi's doings I was hoping for. I am known to be a mind reader, of course. Even Phantom would admit it. Say hello to him for me, never see that boy anymore.

Sophia
Old 04-06-2005, 06:27 AM   #237
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Fea reporting for orders!

Y'all shouldn't stroke my ego so much... it's purring contentedly right now.

How many days trip is it to Romenna? I need to plan out my mischief (must take just as great pains with written mischief as with the real stuff), but I couldn't remember where [or if] that's posted.

Oh yeah, and Soph: Will do. Me niether, all caught up in classes and whatnot.

Fea
Old 04-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #238
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree timeframe information

You may have to estimate, as I was plotting our journey rather than yours. This info is for travelling with the Kariborim. If you're travelling mounted on Karibi I'd approximately double it, if you're travelling on foot I'd add still a little more. I think the time frames would add up best if you were mounted. Plenty of horses around.

Er, and mostly disregard the "real life" numbers, those are maybe not lining up so well as they should.

Sophe
Old 04-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #239
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Okay, so 4ish days for y'all to get to Abarpa, plus a day and a half, give or take, to get him and to reach Romenna... That's about 6 days. If my group is mounted (which we are), that would be... 12 days, give or take. So you're pretty much guaranteed to reach Romenna before us... which definately reduces some of the conflict. So there's my two problems: the lack of stress involved if you have a whole week's lee-way, and how would I account for the extra days? You're group would be reaching Romenna some 5 or 6 days before mine. Perhaps an "unexpected" side trip?

Fea
Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #240
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Save filled in. I have directed a question at the fair lady....