The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-29-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Fantasizing

Yes...Come to think of it, I suffered the same painful disillusionment after completing the LotR series. It was really awful. I had dreams in which I desperately tried to continue the adventures, but it went away after a while. Well, not entirely (after all, what would I be doing hanging out here?) No doubt about it, Tolkien definitely created a world that never leaves you.

P.S. Since ME is really supposed to be our own Earth in an earlier age, I don't suppose it's any good looking for it. (*sob*) [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:45 PM   #2
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I think LotR is one of those books you just wish would never end.

By the way, welcome to the Barrow Downs, Silver-shod Muse. Nice to meet a fellow Texan. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Pile O'Bones

Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
Shield

I agree. ME holds kind of a bitter-sweet emotion for me- i love it, but i can never really go back exept in memory... i feel like the elves of lothlorien, leaving there homes forever, never to return...Does ME feel like home to any one else? It just usualy makes me long for Heaven even more... (sigh) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2002, 10:47 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

One thing's for sure... it makes me long to get out of the smoggy city and to somewhere much more beautiful and natural. I am becoming very uncomfortable in the city, but it helps if I think of areas much more beautiful.
*sigh* Why can't I be a forest ranger, or something [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 07:32 AM   #5
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Aye, tis a shame indeed ! I long to be fighting alonside my ancestors as well, but alas it is only so in dreams.... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2002, 10:48 AM   #6
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Middle Earth feels like home for me, that´s where I should be I think...(feels kinda wrong to live here sometimes, even though I really really love Sweden (where I live)).
I want to go home, to Lothlórien, Rivendell, Valinor, waaah... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:32 PM   #7
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Sometimes I wonder about myself. I believe I'll go quite out of my mind if I don't get out in the open and see mountains untouched by anything but sun and moonlight and rain. It makes me quite lonely sometimes, as I'm sure you can understand. ME seemed to fill all that for a while. And YES Cimmerian, I too feel that fighting beside my wild ancestors in the highlands should be my lot. Alas for a world that promises water and leaves us thirsting!
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
Old 05-02-2002, 04:51 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

mae govannen, silver shod muse!

i think one of the reasons that drew me to live in oregon was its forests and mountains and volcanic cones and of course, the enduring sea. it doesn't take too long to find a piece of old ME here in oregon.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:13 PM   #9
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know what is really irritating? Going out back into your acres and acres of woods, and squinting at the trees, really really really wanting to see ents. I want to be in ME! Oh well, i'm happy with the books, but wouldn't that be sweet if you could just hop a plane and fly over to the shire or lothlorien for the week? I would simply die!
Old 05-04-2002, 09:38 PM   #10
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Ever been to Alaska? Now that is an awesome country. I imagine that it's something like Oregon, Piosenniel. The air is easy to get addicted to. When I came back to Texas from there, I felt like I was suffocating for a week. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I always imagined ME with a certain smell and coolness that Alaska filled.

[ May 04, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
Old 05-04-2002, 09:51 PM   #11
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You live in Texas too! Wow, didn't really think I'd ever meet anyone from Texas, obbsessed(lest I am) with Tolkien!
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:54 PM   #12
Merendis
Animated Skeleton

Merendis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's the problem with starting books which transport oyu to another place, especially when they are so well written, you suffer from withdrawl at the end. Read them again! according to the law of diminishing returns, you won't recieve as much satisfaction after the first time. or re-read and approach from the studious point of view that this web site does, look of it as more of a subject than a story

Riding one day in the forest of the Westlands he saw a woman, whose dark hair flowed in the wind, and about her was a green cloak...and he knew her for Erendis...then suddenly he knew in himself the love that he bore her, and he felt the emptiness of his days.
Merendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 10:02 PM   #13
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Ah, I know how that feels. After I put the book down, I sat there looking around, or out my window, seeing the factory smoke coming from across the street, and I wanted to go back to the country. To take a walk through the untrodden trails at my Kukom's (Grandma's) home. I want to relive my ancestry, of hunting buffalo and migrating through the plains, living a wild and free life. That book just makes me so nostalgic for times we can never touch anymore. And how many times have I scolded kids and adults alike for carving their names in trees? *sighs* I really wish there were Ents to protect the forests, as we don't seem able to do that.
Thinhyandoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 04:12 AM   #14
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merendis!
I have read them again many times!! It does not take away the sadness each time when the book is over [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
What does help is that I go back and visit my sisters every two years and they both live in the country with mountains rivers and the sea...one even lives in a valley with a waterfall [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I am going back in a few months for another visit and she has promised us a hike to a mountain cabin....spend the night, tell stories by candle light....it will be wonderful. There are places on the planet now that give you that same feeling, you just have to find them....
However, I do not mind the sadness at the end of the book.........it means the book has touched my profoundly and given me both joy and sorrow.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #15
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I thought that I was like the only person who felt this way! I can't help it, I always think about being in Middle Earth and being an elf or something. I always wish that I could give up this life and go to Middle Earth and live happily with the other inhabitants of Middle Earth and to live somewhere so beautiful, like Lothlorien or Rivendell. Or just anywhere in Middle Earth I wanna go there so bad!!!!!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 02:49 PM   #16
TheWindsorStar
Pile O'Bones

TheWindsorStar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well the books definitely made me more conscious about the importance and beauty of nature. I've always liked the idea of forests and rivers and streams that aren't trampled over and polluted, but I guess the books brought that out in me even more. I know I love walking down to the river alone at sunset and looking out at the water. Even though the wind practically pushes me into it, and Detroit looms large at the other side, it's quite nice. I get sick of living in the city sometimes too. At least my street and school both have nice trees.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:35 PM   #17
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Isn't it a funny thing that while it seems no one likes what the Earth is becoming, no one seems able to stop it either? It makes me lonely and homesick for a time I never knew...
Old 05-06-2002, 09:06 PM   #18
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Sting

Here! Here! All too true my dear Silver-shod. This has come up numerous times, in numerous posts, and yet, I still love discussing it. Afer I finised the books, my fantasising was at an all time high,I spet every single day wishing that I was in ME, off on some wonderous adventure.
My friend and I even had an hour long discussion on what we would bring along with us and where we would go if we really did happen to go on some quest. But, in the end, we figured out that the world was too conized, and much of it had already been explored, to actualy attempt a real quest.