User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #201
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Dain Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dain woke up as if in a nightmare. He was covered with snow and could not see. He had little sense of what was up and what was down. He began digging frantically with his hands, hoping against hope that he was actually digging in the right direction.

Fear gripped his heart. How could one tell up and down in a dark world like this. Perhaps he was digging furiously sideways and would soon die, unable to breath.

Just when he was about to despair, his head broke through the snow and he took a gasp of air. All about him were snowy mounds, presumably with his companions buried underneath. He had been the first to dig himself out.

He turned his attention to the others and began digging to help them. Here and there, he saw signs of life as the mounds of snow quivered and a hand or leg came up. He pulled and heaved at these. Within a minute, two more figures had surfaced coughing and spluttering and gasping for air.

Fear gripped Dain's heart. There were a number of dwarves coming out of the avalanche, but nowhere could he see his son Durin. A terrible pain smote his heart. What if something happened to his son? The thought was almost unbearable.

He remembered Durin walking several paces behind him. He dove into the snow searching for him, flinging the white stuff furiously this way and that. Filled with a fury that he could not remember except when striking out against Orcs, he dove and dove again, vainly trying to find Durin and pull him out.

How many times he had searched Dain could not even say. But, finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he felt a cold, stiff figure underneath him that seemed strangely familiar.

"Durin, is that you?" Dain crie out as he lifted him from under the snow. The boy lay still upon the snow, and fear gripped the father's heart.

He bent his head down to Durin's mouth. The faintest of breath was coming out.

"Fire," he bellowed. "We must have a fire for Dain and the others who are close to freezing."

He looked about expectently, hoping that someone would hear him and start a blaze on the wider part of the pathway under the protected cliff. Meanwhile, he shielded his own body over that of his son, trying to warm him, and draw life back into his bones.

Inside his heart, he cried out for help, "Aule, great Valar, bring back my son, I beg of you. Give him life."

Dwarves and Elves were helping each other dig out, and some kind companion had built a fire. Dain dragged Durin close beside it. He reached down and, to his joy and relief, he saw Durin's body begin to move and stir, as the pallor of the boy's face turned from white to red.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Dain Ironfoot ]
Old 03-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #202
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Durin opened his eyes and looked about him. There was a fire going, and everyone sat close, trying to escape from the wind. He sat up and tryed thinking back to what had happened.

There had been an avalanche, covering him and the rest of the company in cold, damp snow. He had felt the snow press hard against his body, making it hard to move about. He had started hacking at the snow infront of him, praying he was heading upwards, though it seemed now that he hadn't. He had felt his body grow colder and colder, and his arms had moved slower and slower. He could barely move when he had felt himself being taken out of his snow prisin, taking him to the warmth of the fire.

"Durin!" He heard his father say as he looked up."Here, have some of this!" His father said, shoving a small bowl of food infront of his face. Durin took the bowl and smiling, sat against the wall, silently eating.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Carlas ]
Old 03-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #203
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Ani Dao pressed herself up against the wall her eyes closed, burying her face protectively from the ice and snow that fell from above in Burzdol’s back. She had grabbed him from behind just as the ledge fell and pulled up beside her against the wall. The snow rained over them like a herd of horses, fleeing from a pack of wargs. It fell for the better part of ten minutes before it cleared. After the dense powder had settled, she looked over Burzdol’s shoulder to the mess. Everything was buried in four to five feet of the whiteness. Snow had found its way down Ani Dao’s cloak and was melting against the warmth of her neck.

“Burzdol,” she said, speaking into his ear so he could hear her. He adjusted his body and looked towards her. “Burzdol, we have to dig ourselves out and find the others.” Working together, it was a good ten minutes still until they could move their feet. Once she got loose she stepped forward, her foot slipping off the edge into nothingness. She yelled out, catching herself quickly, so as not to cause another avalanche. Grabbing onto the rocks, she stopped her fall, and Burzdol pulled her up quickly. A little shaky, she looked into the wind to see the company.

The elves, Dain, and a couple of other dwarves had surfaced as well as the Gondorian soldiers. Everyone seemed to be considerably fine. Dain was yelling for a fire and the elves were checking the condition of the people around them. Finding nothing really amiss, except for a bunch of frost bitten soldiers, they called out for Ani Dao and Burzdol to join them. No reply came. Bali looked to where the two elves stood stranded on the damaged ledge. But things had gotten even worse. The avalanche had widened the gap between them and Ani Dao and Burzdol were stranded on the other side, just out of reach.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 03-25-2003, 06:41 PM   #204
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Bali checked on the state of the (thankfully few) wounded members of the company, before turning back to the gap where Ani Dao and Burzdol were stranded across. The rope had been lost, dislodged during the avalanche.

Bali was worried that they would freeze without heat, so he and several dwarves heaved several of the smaller pieces of firewood over the gap to them, where Burzdol made a fire. But their wood supply would not last forever; they needed to move on, and soon.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:49 AM   #205
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

Belegond looked to the other side of the ridge where Ani Dao and Burzdol were stranded, they had started a fire but it would not last and little wood was left. They had to get across now, that avalanche was no accident, someone had made it happen. He searched for some proof to his theory, near to where the fire was were two large sticks. He hastened over to them, as he did this Dain took them to place on the fire.

"Dain stop! Put that wood down!" Belegond shouted across to him, Dain turned around looking puzzeled.

"Durin needs heat!" he shouted back.

"I know, but please give me the sticks." Belegond took the sticks from Dain and looked at them closely. Dain wathched him. Belegond saw that these had been recently touched by a man. He looked up to where the avalanche had come from, there was still a considerable amount of snow. That snow should have fallen down with the rest. It was definately done on purpose. We are being tracked!

Belegond edged over to Bali. "This was no accident Bali, someone meant for this to happen. We are being tracked, persued, followed anything you want to call it. But e must get down from this accursed mountain. We need to get AniDao and Burzdol over! We need rope or something."
Old 03-26-2003, 03:45 PM   #206
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

astarielle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to astarielle
Eye

Astarielle wet and cold, stood. The avalanche had not dampened her spirits. But it was then that she saw Burzdol and Ani Dao stranded on the other side. She felt sorrow for her companions, if only there was a way to get them accross.

Astarielle smiled as she thought of one of her childhood games she used to play with Tolea and Halkaruthwen. Frequently, on a narrow part of the Forest River in Mirkwood, they used to find ways of getting accross without getting there feet wet or using rope. Tolea's father had befriended a large bird of prey named Arilmen, he had taught Tolea to summon him. They would string together their cloaks to form a sort of chair and Arilmen would ferry them accross the river. He only came if called by his true name. Astarielle pondered deep in thought of this name,

"Araneldaranilmen, amin yala lle!"
"King of the stars king of the sky, I summon you"
Old 03-28-2003, 05:46 PM   #207
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

The company slowly stepped back as the great eagle swept out of the skies, landing lightly on the snowy turf. Only Astarielle ran forward, throwing her arms around the bird. She spoke to him in elven speech, and the king of the skies lifted off.

Landing on the other side of the chasm, the eagle nodded to Ani Dao. Understanding, she climbed up onto his feathered back and clung tightly as he sailed across the gap, arousing a great cheer to arise from the company. Soon Burzdol was also ferried over in the same fasion.

Astarielle spoke privately with the bird, thanking him for his help. Then, he lifted off, soaring away into the sky.

The company left the campsite the next morning, after Durin recovered from his unconciousness. They travelled for the space of the day with no further troubles, other than a small mound of snow blocking the path.

They then came to the end of the deep pass. Now, they had to ascend to the plateau of the mountain and travel for three more days along it before reaching the end of the mountains.

The face of the mountain was extremely steep. With no rope, the company had to individually climb up to each ledge, and then have others hoist supplies up to them.

Kaldon, having taken the route of the plataeu, was now above the company. With him were several other men, rangers that had been cast out from the order. They watched the company ascending slowly towards them.

"Well, my lord, should we should not just stand here and watch them notice our position. Why not throw rocks down at them, or something!?"

"Ah, but Grandul, you have misjudged my planning skills. Orcs have engineered a trap along this slope, Which I knew they would have to come by. Where we stand now, and the entire plataeu back to ten feet behind us, will fall when those sticks are dislodged. Even if they are not thrown off of the mountain, the sheer weight of that amount of snow and ice will crush them. The entire objective will have been achieved in one, simple blow. Of course, each one of us is needed for the plan to work. It will take more than one person to spring the trap. Let us wait here, until they are a bit closer."

[ March 28, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 03-29-2003, 02:49 PM   #208
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

The temperature had gone down greatly, and Ani Dao discarded her Rivendell traveling cloak, rolling it up so she could attach it to her pack. Leather gauntlets had replaced her gloves, and her hair had been tied back up with a thick leather strap. Her boots were still damp from the snow, but had begun to dry out gradually due to the exposure to open sun they were getting. The past two days had been spent slowly descending the great plateau of Caradhras.

“Here it comes!” yelled Ani Dao to Hathalas, who stood below, ready to catch her pack. Once all the supplies were down to the elf, Ani Dao helped the others slide down the face of the steep boulder. Then she followed, running up to the front to catch up with Hathalas, Astarielle and Burzdol. Their trek had gone fairly well since the drastic occurrence where they experienced the loss of the Gondorian soldier. Now they walked on, anxious to leave the forbidding mountain behind them.

Ani Dao had found herself getting to know Hathalas and Astarielle better. They were the only other pure-elves on the journey, and closest age-wise. Ani Dao found herself more and more grateful for their company as time wore on. The assassin often assisted with the scouting ahead, and Hathalas taught her to read signs in the snow, and on the ancient rocks to tell of past passer-bys. In turn, she showed him how to throw a knife.

They stopped to make camp when night fell. Since there was no fire available, they had to pass on a fire and ate a cold dinner of bread and dried fruits instead. Ani Dao was seated by Hathalas who was showing her the different uses for each green and flower she had in her pack. Since he had studied long at Rivendell, he knew much about the plants and herbs from that area. After he finished, they leaned back against the stone and looked at the stars. Joined later by Astarielle, they began to talk of their childhood. As elves, they had been able to break the tension of the climb by talking with one another like old friends. Ani Dao began.

“Well, I come from Mirkwood. My father is Ghoran Silverspur, head of the Guard of Thranduil. I trained to become one of them with my brother Gyld. On completion of my training, I was immediately given over to Ahret Ban to further my education in weaponry and was schooled to become a personal assassin to Thranduil. At that time, it was called Greenwood. Before my training could be completed, Ahret Ban was called on assignment to take out a Southern Man chief that had been causing trouble in the northern areas of Greenwood. He was gone for five hundred years. And when he returned, he carried with him the head of Shash-Na-Kurk, the tribal leader. And did he have stories to tell! Furthermore, his skill had been refreshed and my training was finally completed. Use for an assassin was rare, and I finally became extremely bored. Taking leave, I ventured to Umbar. There, I hid my elven identity and signed with a corsair ship. Adventure came in surplus then, and I was given my share of treasure. Then, I met Tr Dalon.” Astarielle looked up, remembering the man from the Prancing Pony.

“He was an evil man. Devising a plan to take out an entire village of innocent Umbarians just to uncover a mythical treasure that had was rumored to be located there. I planned to stop him before he could carry out his plan, but he struck sooner than I perceived. I arrived too late, and found the town ravaged and burned to the ground. After settling survivors with homes in the main city of Umbar, I left. All my accumulated treasure I dispersed among the survivors.

“Then I went to Moria. After convincing them that I was not a grudge-holding elf, I spent much time with them, drinking, and storytelling with them in their thriving mines. I grew close with that race, but after four centuries of residence, I decided that I wanted to see other elves. From there I went to Lothlorien and met for the first time, the Lady Galadriel. She is by far the wisest and fairest of all the elves in Middle Earth.” The elf glanced then at Hathalas and gave him a wink. “Don’t tell Annanoldowen.” He laughed softly and she continued. “Lothlorien was beautiful, and its silent and peaceful atmosphere was welcoming to me. I learned much of the lore of the elves there, and was well educated in my own histories. It was in Lorien that I first met Arwen. We were the same age and got along incredibly well. When she was called to return to Rivendell, I went with her.” Ani Dao sat back then at fiddled with her feather pendant.

“In Rivendell, I met Annanoldowen. She and I became very close friends. She suggested that I train with the scouts of Rivendell, or live with the Dunedain for a time. I declined the offer though, and continued to drift purposely through life. After spending a great deal of time in the elven city, I journeyed to the Shire. It was so different from anywhere else I’ve ever been. I enjoyed it there very much, speaking with eager hobbit children, and staying with the families. I eventually made it to the Green Dragon. I had not been there a week when Bali posted his proposal on the bulletin board. Bored with my wanderings, I immediately replied.” Ani Dao let out a great sigh, concluding her story. “So now I’m here.” Her brows knotted as she recalled the brief summary of her life.

“Hmm, now that I really see my life laid before me, I realize how—how dull it is. This sure is an improvement.” Laughing, she looked towards Hathalas. “Okay, scout. Your turn.”
Old 03-29-2003, 07:34 PM   #209
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yanithë was still shaken up by the incident. Suddenly she felt vulnerable and useless. The terrors of Caradhras were soon lost on her. She lie on the cold ground with only her cloak for warmth.

"I love you," said he. "I want to take you for my wife. I know we will be so happy." Yes, the same things the courting male always said to his lover.

"I love you as well. More than anything in this shieldmaiden's life. But my parents. You know how they are against it. . ."

"We'll run away!" he had cried. "Yes! We'll run far from here. Our horses can take us far. We'll go live with the Elves, or in Gondor."

She had thought of it. In fact, she even packed her belongings. But her father found out. Unhappy was he to say the least. He towered over her, with an aristocratic air about him. It seemed like the stories her mother had told her about the King Théoden.

"Never will you see him again! The fool is beneath you! How dare you defy your father! And your mother! What would she think. Running off with some peasant such as he!"

And so she ran away from Rohan and the Riders of the Mark. That was the end. Never did they run away together. But, at the stream, she had had that one last hope. That hope that, well, she knew not.

I care not.

So she lie, unsleeping, and never lonelier in her life.

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Frodess ]
Old 03-30-2003, 07:32 AM   #210
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Belegond sat next to Kili, smoking a pipe and gazing into the roaring fire.

"So that was a tough journeywas it not my dear friens?" Belegond said to Kili.

"Aye, worse than last time. But at least no one dropped the supplies!" he replied laughing.

"Yes, I was quite clumsy, but hopefully I will never experience hunger like that again!" he smiled back.

"Belegond?"

"Yes Kili?"

"I found this on the road from Bree, I believe it was left a a tracking device, only you would leave such a thing. Is it yours?" Kili revealed Yanithe's pin, the horse shaped one she had dropped instead of letting him leave his chain.

"Ah! That is Yanithe's, thankyou Kili, I am sure she will be glad to recive it." He took the pin and placed it on his belt. He then lay back and fell asleep.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:11 PM   #211
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Gromfelt crouched against a rock, trying hard to light his pipe. "Here," said Dain and he wipped the pipe off and handed it back to him. Grom felt like a child. Here, and only in one other place was this so, he had nothing to offer, no qualities to help anybody. This is what I left to get away from. he thought bitterly. Everyone was worn out. Everyone just wanted to get off the acursed mountain and rest. This was the longest they had lingered on the mountain yet, and ironicly Grom wanted to get going again. He walked over to Bali, and already perciving what Gromfelt was about to say, he answered the question, "Not yet, Gromfelt." "The supplies though, we might run out, and you know that avilanche wasn't natural. We have to get off this mountain" "I know, but look at everyone. I think we should stay a little longer." He stared in Yanthie's, then Dain and Durin's, then his own direction. "Right." He said, walked off. Something wasn't right. He knew it. He stared off ahead. What am I doing? He thought stupidly.I'm no elf. Something was about to happen though, he knew it. Burzdol and Astarielle were staring in the direction he had just turned away from. Foul play. He thought. That Kaldon, maybe. He sat back down, but now he held his axe, as well as his pipe.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #212
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Suddenly, the elves of the company drew their bows as one. As the others watched in surprise, a volley of arrows flew up the side of the mountain. Several cries were heard. An elf that was closest to the wall grasped his knives and began to ascend the face of the mountain. The others waited for what he would find, knowing that enemies had been spotted; and perhaps slain.

But when the elf reached the plateau, another cry was heard. The elf, a long knive plunged into his chest, fell down the mountainside and crumpled at the bottom.

Yelling with fury, Burzdol launched several more arrows at the clift. But the enemy was gone.

Saddened by another loss of life, so near the end of the pass, Bali ordered the company to pack up and leave the area immediately.

They travelled for the final day of the snowy journey on a safe path, and came out into the sunlight of the eastern plains safely. Everyone was relieved that the journey through the Caradhras was over. They spread out over the small hillocks, praries and forests nearby, and returned to the camp laden with fresh fish, fruit, and meat.

Around the meal, Bali addressed the group, giving them a general outline of the remainder of the journey. "From here on, its nice and easy. It is about four weeks straight march from here to Erebor. The land is flat, with plenty of streams and forests. Provisions will be plentiful, especially at this time of the year. Then comes Mirkwood. Elves, there are, but not enough to hold back the evil that has always dwelt there. We will have to be careful, as the woods are filled with spiders and orcs.

And then, after our long and tiresome journey, we will reach Erebor. When we see the state of it firsthand, we will know the best way to defend it.

From here on, I will lead you. I know these paths quite well, for I have travelled them often. Tomorrow morning, we begin the final stage of this journey to Erebor. Get some rest, for you will need it."
Old 03-30-2003, 05:05 PM   #213
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dain crouched near the campfire, finishing up his dinner, grateful for the first decent meal he'd had in a while. But still he could not shake an overiding sense of foreboding and gloom. He stared into the ashes and flame, then shook his head and sighed.

They had taken so very long to reach this point on the trail. Who was to say what they would find at the end of their journey? Would his wife still be alive, or would all their efforts to quell the Orcs be too late? The danger of the pass was behind them, but no one knew what lay ahead, certainly not Dain.

Bali seemed relieved and confident, but Dain found it difficult to share his joy. He glanced over at Durin. The warmer weather and full provisions were returning some color into his face. But there were still so many questions unanswered.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:47 PM   #214
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

The sudden attack had interrupted Hathalas and Ani Dao’s conversation. When the elf fell, Ani Dao was first to his side. She had placed her slender fingers on the side of his neck, discovering his solemn fate. They had left camp that night, and made their way quickly to the eastern plains.

Now, few were sleeping. Most stared idly into the fire, or talked very quietly amongst themselves. Ani Dao wanted to speak with Hathalas again but he was engaged in a hushed conversation with the remnants of his elven scouts. Instead, she spread out her bedroll and lay for a while looking at the stars, refusing sleep.

The unusually clear night gave her complete viewing rites to the entire galaxy and spectacle was breathtaking. Weaving her slender hands under her head she whistled into the night, an old tune such that a sailor might sing should he be on a boat under such a sky. She was still whistling when Hathalas pulled away from his discussion to join her.

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 03-31-2003, 01:17 PM   #215
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Eye

The sky was dark but every star shone out with a brightness that Astarielle had not seen since the time they had left the comfort of Rivendell. Astarielle started to sing for a reason she knew not. Her clear voice echoed around the camp, all were silent.

"A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

Calm surcomed Astarielle, she fell for the first time into a sleep untroubled by dreams.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:14 PM   #216
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Belegond's dreams were troubled. He tossed and turned on the hard ground.

He could see Kaldon, that man who had betrayed them. He was standing face to face with Belegond.

"So ranger," he said, "Thought you could trick me eh? Thought you were so good to find out and tell the rest I was on your trail? Well now you will pay." Kaldon unsheathed a large sword from his side and held is up to the moonlight. He turned around for a moment then spun round again this time with his sword pressed against a maidens neck. Belegond could not see her face clearly. And he tried to reach out to her but he could not. His arms were dead, stuck to his sides.

"Well you will pay!" He took the maidens hood off and behold it was Yanithe. She struggled and tried to break free but his grip was too tight.

"No!" he shouted and tried to reach out again. But his efforts were in vain, Kaldon slit her throat. Blood poured everywhere. He could hear himself shouting into the night. And then quietly he whispered why? Why? Then blackness. And now he could hear a voice. A voice that soothed his mind, twas an elf and he was glad of it. For he now could sleep, though his dream still troubled him.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #217
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Durin could not sleep for some time. He did not know why, instead he watched the stars in their slow rythmic dance in the sky. Dwarves did not care much for the stars, but that night Durin found himself amazed at the beauty of them. It was odd how something from so far off, could look so beautiful. He sighed shaking his head and went to sleep.

Though he had fallen asleep happily, his sleep was far from it. He dreamt he and the company had reached Erebor, but it was too late. The buildings about them were destroyed and there was fire and smoke everywhere. He ran about the city searching for something, and then he found it, his mother. She was lying on the ground, silent and still. He walked up to her body, lying in a pool of blood...she was dead.

He sat up quickly, drenched in cold sweat. Looking about he saw the others sleeping, though it was obvious not many were having pleasant dreams. He shook his head and swore at himself silently, it was stupid, why worry, he would get there in time, and his mother could take care of herself. He shouldn't worry, emotions would just get in the way.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:18 AM   #218
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Many of the company had gone to bed. Only a few remained awake, sitting and talking, laughing at the better times of old. The night became chilly, and the company huddled near the fire for warmth.

"Does anyone have a good story," inquired Arlome. "We have not heard a tale since we stopped at Rivendell."

"I believe that I have a tale. I have told it before, inside the Green Dragon, but most of you have not heard it before. It is one that will show you the brutality of the hordes that we face.

"I'll have you know, good friends, that few dwarves ever venture through Mirkwood. It is a dangerous forest, with only one true road leading through it. If you stray off the path but a little, you will never find it again.

I was lucky, however, in the fact that I was a friend of King Thranduil, and the Wood elves living there. I was given safe passage through those dark woods. But that means little, as the tale has no adventure or excitement in it, and thus makes no kind of story. But after I left the edges of Mirkwood, I traveled alone, passing over hill and dale, through many strange places.

"As I left Mirkwood I came to a strange wasteland, where few live and known travel by night. It is a dangerous road, through Wilderland, which which is the name I gave it. Wolves prowl the forest; orcs from the --- mountains patrol the northern border, and goblins from Moria and the Misty Mountains creep through the western parts, making the narrow paths all the more deadly to the unwary traveler.

Here it was that the elves of Mirkwood left me. But not all; for Halonir, long a friend of mine, vowed to continue with me and see for himself the great forest of Lothlorien, which lay near my chosen route. I accepted his company with great pleasure, for I was sad to see the elves go and be left alone on my journey.

When we entered to Wilderland, Halonir felt a great disturbance in the air. Something great was amiss in the land. After a days travel we found several huts, the first sign of life. But they were burnt, hacked apart and crumbling in ash and ruin. Bodies there were also, of men, women, and children. Halonir looked around at the ground, and soon his keen eyes picked up a set of tracks; they were strange, and matched nothing he or I had seen before. The tracks were not of man, orc, or goblin, nor of troll or warg.

Astonished, and angered, we continued our travels. Soon we came to another village, in the same state as the first.

Burned buildings.

Burned Bodies.

And tracks... Always more tracks.

It was several days later, as we came to a large hill, that we found the answer to the riddle. Arriving at the top, we saw smoke rising from a clearing not far south of where we stood. Not only smoke, but orange flame. From the clearing there came shouts, screams, snarls and the ring of steel.

Dashing from our vantage poing we raced through the forest; heading in the rough direction of the sound (which was all we had to guide us. Soon we reached the conflict.

Arriving at the clearing first, Halodir found himself standing amidst the caos of a Uruk Hai raid on a large village. The mutant orcs weilding long swords, spears and broad axes swarmed the area, slaying the villigers and pillaging houses. Suddenly noticing the new arrival, three Uruk Hai charged him. But Halodir was not a King's bodyguard for nought. Slaying two with arrows, he whipped out his long knife and would have slain the remaining Uruk had not a hatcher - mine, that is - have taken it in the throat. Charging into the village, we attacked the force together.

Slaying an Uruk Hai who was beating a villiger, I turned to another, ducking as his sword whistled over my head. Catching him in the midriff with a hefty axe-blow, I slew several more with my remaining hatchets. I turned to see my friend slay his twelth Uruk Hai, using his skill with a bow to easy kill the poorly armored Uruks. Being no match for the ferocity of two able-bodied and ambushing warriors, the survivors fled, leaving the village in peace.

But after helping the villigers rebuild their dwellings, we with ten good fighting men left to track down the attackers. Those who were wounded we caught and dispatched with, but around seven had run north, and were far out of our reach. Thus, not a match for the tireless Uruk Hai, we returned to the village. We sent word of this to King Thranduil, who sent a large force of elves to patrol the area of Wilderland, cleaning it of the scum of orcs and goblins. And so Halodir and I continued on our way, and when I came to Moria, we parted and he went away south to seek his own kind the the great forest of Lothlorien.

It was my goal to pass to the other side, somehow. But there was no known way. I could not pass over them, alone and with the gear I had brought.

And so I resolved to pass through the Mines of Moria. I had heard rumors of what it was like, but had never been there before. And had never heard of the evil that awaited me.

As I past through the eastern passage, and descended the first level of steps, what awaited me there but a small group of orcs. They being as surprised as me, but I recovering from it quicker, the fight was brief. But as I continued down several more rows of steps, my heart slumping lower with each, I found what could not be imagined. The bridge, the Bridge of Kazad Dum, which I had longed to see since I had heard stories of it as a child, was in ruin. The eastern half jutted out part-way over the chasm, but the western half was gone!

Futher more, as I cried out in horror, a multitude of orcs appeared uppon the western side, and launched a volley of what I presumed were poisened shafts (they usually are). I am not proud of the fact, but seeing as they were too far away to hit with an axe, I fled from the mines.

I still wished to go across the mountains, but it seemed all passes through it which I knew were blocked. Thus, I decided that if nothing else, I would go south, and see what lands lay near the sea.

As I went south, following the eastern side of the mountains, I eventually came to a great forest. Having only ever seen it on maps, I came to believe it to be Lorien. Not knowing that most of its people had left for the grey havens, I was "uncomfortable" with passing through it, and thus went around the eastern side.

When I got back to the mountains, I found that not many days after I had passed around Lorien, I had arrived at yet another large forest. Fangorn. Not only "uncomfortable" but more so "terrified" of that forest, I once again went around it.

As finally found the mountains beyond it, I came to a lake, which was surrounded by an emmense ring of broken stone. In the center of that lake, was a huge tower. It seemed as high as the very peak of the largest mountain in the earth. Black it was, like its name: Orthanc, on time home of the wizard Saruman. It is now controlled by men of the king, clearing the stone and building a causeway over the lake to the tower. Having no reason to stop there, I continued past it, coming at last to a break in the mountains. I have been told it was called the Gap of Rohan.

From there I traveled north, at last finding the Old South Road. Following it It lead to me at last to a split. One side went Northeast, the other side went Northwest. I took the west path, not wanting to go back to the mountains. And one fine day following that road, I came to this happy land called the Shire, and found my way along the dusty road to Green Dragon Inn.

And now, as for the attack of the Uruks, I know that these are part of the army now attacking Erebor. This here is a letter my father sent to me while I was at the Green Dragon Inn.

My dear son Bali,

I am writing you to let you know that war has begun. A large army of Uruk Hai has massed and is threatening Erebor. King Thranduil has sent elvish units to aid us, but our border gaurds are on watch around the day and night, and we expect war to break out soon.

I hope that your journey has gone well, but I plead that you will return home soon. You are needed here.

Your friend, Eruantalon, left here a month before the army was reported. You may meet him on your way. If you do, give him this letter, and ask him if he will return home with you. Any dwarf, man or elf that can fight is needed.

Best wishes on your journey home.

Your father,

Dwalin Longbeard.

This, friends, is why we are on the road to Erebor. I have been summoned by my father, and you have come with me. We will fight to their deaths, or ours, and free Erebor and its people. Remember, if Erebor were to fall, Mirkwood would be the next target of the invaders. If that fell also, then enemies of the north could pass into middle earth as freely as I throw this rock."

Grasping a rock, Bali hurled it into the darkness. There was a dull 'thunk' and a groan, then the sound of a body collapsing.

Eruantalon and Arlome jumped up and hurried off into the darkness. When they returned, they weredragging a struggling man behind them. He had a large lump on his head.

"This one was spying on our campsite, probably listening in on our conversations for some idea of the paths we are now taking. Your rock temporarily stunned him."

Bali looked the man over. He was fairly young, a few years over Kaldon (he guessed), and from the objects in the hands of the other two men he had been carrying several knives and a bow with a shaft notched in it. "We there any others?"

"Not that we saw. But they could be out there. We should have a double guard duty tonight and from now on."

The man was struggling harder now. "I won't tell you anything, you might as well kill me right now."

Then he saw Belfalod. "And you! Your a dirty traitor, and you know it, too! Kaldon will have your head for this!"

All eyes were on the ranger. When he spoke, it was slow and steady. "I turned from that path a long while back. I don't want to follow him anymore. This is where I belong, with my friends and companions."

But even as he said this, the man slipped from the grasp of the two men. He rolled over, jumped up (now holding a concealed knife) and sent the deadly weapon spinning into the neck of Belfalod. As he dashed away into the darkness, Arlome's arrow took him in the back...

Burzdol's Post

Burzdol sat quietly, smoking shire weed. All in the company were mourning the deaths of their companions, and Burzdol also was depressed. For the knife used to kill Belafold was one like Kaldon's. The elf remembered the fight at the Prancing Pony, and saw the knife Kaldon threw at him several times. Then the elf walked to inspect the knife. A simple poison resided on the blade.

"Guess that wasn't needed," Burzdol said, exasperated. "Bali, how 'bout a short story, then to bed. The both of us need it."

The dwarf and man talked for a bit about tales of old, and of their journeys throughout middle earth. Slowly, the two fell asleep. Dreaming of the old stories they had just heard.

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #219
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ani Dao gasped in shock as Belfalod fell to the man’s knife. She ran to his side and pressed her delicate fingers to the pulse on his neck. Bali came and knelt on the other side of the man. Finding no pulse, Ani Dao shook her head sadly. Bali dropped his head and closed Belfalod’s eyelids.

“Namrie…Nai hiruvalye Valimar...Nai elye hiruva...Namarie...” Ani Dao and Astarielle spoke the lament softly, bidding the ranger’s soul farewell. Then they kissed their fingertips and touched them to the man’s forehead.

That night they buried him with honor, never acknowledging that he ‘had been’ a traitor. The other they left for carrion.

Words were whispered into the night of the nearness of Kaldon and his minions. The finality of the journey would have to be made quickly and as secretively as possible. They left that night.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:43 PM   #220
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By the time Arlómë reached Belfalod, Ani Dao and Bali were there also. Ani Dao was saying something in elvish, which meant Belfalod was dead. Arlómë bowed his head. He recited some death prayers of the Dunedain. Belfalod was a noble man.

As they traveled that night, Arlómë silently vowed to avenge Belfalod. Kaldon would pay. For the rest of the night, Arlómë's dunedain senses stayed alert. Kaldon would pay...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #221
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Having lost a member of the company that had been with them since they had left Bree, the group that reached the edge of Mirkwood forest was a somber one. Bali still tried to keep the group optimistic, as they were nearing their goal: Erebor.

However, dispite the apparent depression, many of the group were now driven by their anger at the guerilla tactics used by Kaldon and his followers, which had now cost several warriors their lives.

The sun was just peaking over the tips of Mirkwood as the company arrived at the edges of the great forest. "If I remember, we are a bit too far north to hit the old forest road. We shall travel south for a day and see if we can find it," said Bali. Several of the elves agreed with him.

After a days travel, they reached the dark path. One could tell that it was dreary, hot and stuffy inside the borders. "It is about a week's journey through the forest. Remember, stay on the road." The company trudged into the forest...
Old 04-02-2003, 12:11 PM   #222
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Eye

Trees loomed over them from all directions. The old Forest road went straight eastwards. Neither turning or diverting from its' route through the centre of Mirkwood. A mist gathered and settled around the company as they trudged onwards. Little light came throught the tops of the trees but the road went ever on. Astarielle smiled as it reminded her of a little song she had heard on her travels. She shrugged as the word eluded her.

The trees grew ever more dense and close. Astarielle turned to the northern side of the path. As her eyes pierced the mist she could have sworn she saw a shadow flitting off behind a tall tree. She halted, Ani Dao having noticed that the elf had stopped came over,

"What is it that you saw?"

"I do not know, i thought I saw a shadow but I cannot be certain. But even in this mist my eyes are keen and rarely lie." said Astarielle.

The company quickened its pace and moved on further into the forest.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:10 PM   #223
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

The forest was quiet, they did not see many animals, but once in awhile an elf would stop and look about the road sides, having obviously seen something. It was a huge forest, but the trees seemed to be bunched together, making the forest feel stuffy. He looked up at the branches that had grown up above the path, blocking much sun light from reaching the tiny strip of dirt that crossed the large forest.

He wiped his forhead with his hand, and watched the other members of the group. They all seemed to be consentrating on the road, determined to finally reach the end of the giant forest. The elves eispecially, their eyes darting about the forest, waiting. They new they were not alone, or more so felt it. It was a quiet forest, but they could feel themselves being watched, by animals...and perhaps something else.

He shook his head and kept walking down the straight and narrow path, wishing to leave the forest behind.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:51 AM   #224
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

That night, the company came to a small clearing. Sticking their lanterns in the ground, they gathered some nearby wood and lit a fire. They had plenty of provisions, but they had nowhere to forage. Even the slightest halt could cause their supplies to run out.

"Durin, you will be on sentry duty; with Kili. Wake us up if anything happens. Thus the company went to bed, not realizing that the enemy was already upon them.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:59 PM   #225
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Never before had Einen been this nervous. He wasn't scared-he was just aware of the darkness around him and the unkown is what made him nervous.

They finally stopped for a rest. Kili and Durin were on sentry duty. The two dwarves huddled around the fire with their eyes staring out into the trees.

Einen stayed close to the others as they all settled down to sleep. Earlier, Einen had asked Arlómë about the forest.

"Do not stray from the trail, no matter what. There are things out there you have never seen or imagined before."

He wrapped his cloak around him, but was unable to sleep.

[ April 03, 2003: Message edited by: Earendil Halfelven ]
Old 04-04-2003, 12:24 AM   #226
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Kili's Post

Kili lent against a tree, smoking his pipe. Thick plumes of smoke whirled around his head and he kicked the dirt on the ground. He had walked away from the fire for he thought he saw something, but is was nothing. He walked back to where Durin was.

"So", he said "What....."

Kili heard something in the trees again.

"Is it I or is there something outh there?" Kili said as he drew his sword.

"Yes there is!" replied Durin as he wrapped both fists around his axe.

"Let us see what it is."

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 04-05-2003, 10:11 AM   #227
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

When Bali awoke the next morning, he knew immediately that something was wrong. He had never been roused by Kili to take second watch. He jumped up, wondering what time of the day it was. Kili was sleeping next to the fire, that had long since burned out.

Sleeping on sentry? That dwarf! And where is Durin? He stopped at his last question and looked around the camp.

Where was Durin? He was not among those sleeping in the campsite. Bali went over to Kili's unmoving form. Maybe he could shed some light on this mystery.

But when he shoved the dwarf roughly, Kili didn't move. Leaning down, Bali soon found a large lump on the back of his skull. The dwarf had been knocked out, cold.

Hurrying over to Eruantalon, Bali shook him awake. "What is it, Bali?"

"Wake the others up, quickly. Durin is gone!"

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #228
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Durin awoke from unconsiousnes lying on his back, his head aching. Trying to sit up, he found that his hands and ankles were bound tightly together, stopping much of the circulation of blood in his hands and feet. As he started moving his arms about to losen the bonds, a figure walked up to him, followed by many others, it was Kaldon.

The night before(or so he hoped) flashed back into his memory. He and Kili had been on guard duty together when Kili had heard something in the forest, Durin had not thought much of it, but they went to check it out anyways. As they had approached the bushes, they had been attacked and knocked onto the ground. Both fought against the strong arms holding them down, and eventually had gotten back to their feets swinging at the invaders. Then Kaldon had come, sneering at the young dwarves. They had rushed at him, their axes high in the air. Kaldon, had held up his, blocking both their attacks before the others had started at them again. The two fought against them, keeping them off until Durin had felt something large hit the back of his head, sending him sprawling to the ground.

Durin looked up at Kaldon with cold and utter hatred. His head still hurt from their fight, but he refused to show it, he would not let Kaldon have the satisfaction, though he seemed to be satisfied enough with capturing the dwarf. He slowly walked up to Durin, grabbing him and pulling him up onto his feet. The young dwarf could feel Kaldons hot breath as he greeted him "Nice to see you again Durin son of Dain!"
Old 04-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #229
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dain awoke to the sound of loud shouts and cries all about him in camp. It took a moment for him to sort out all the ruckus and to figure out what was actually going on.

Then the dreaded words came to his ears. "Durin is missing. He was on patrol." He felt a terrible fear grip his heart and his belly, as if a giant hand had reached down inside him and wrenched out his insides with little mercy.

The message reverberated through his head like a huge ringing bell that would not stop tolling. The father immediately berated himself for sleeping. I should have been with him. He is my son. I could have done something to help. I will never forgive myself if anything should happen to him. And my wife will die of grief.

Fury swept away fear, as he thought of his son, perhaps injured or even worse. Dain raised his hammer high and, with a roar, raced out of camp, leading a band that had gathered to try and locate the missing dwarf, and come to his rescue and aid.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:24 PM   #230
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali was looking around the camp, searching for a clue to the enemies that had invaded it. But then he saw Dain, leading Gromfelt, Arlome, Belegond, and Burzdol into the woods. Dashing over, Bali caught Dain's arm and pulled him around. Those that were with him stopped short.

"Dain, listen to me. Its no good running off into the forest, you'll get lost and I can't have five good members of the company disappear into the woodlands. Control yourself!"

The dwarf was wild with rage. "That miserable Kaldon has my son, and there's no telling what he'll do to him! I've got to find him, I got to!" The dwarve's voice cracked and broke into long, ragged sobs.

"Aye, Dain, but Durin is a fine young chap with a good head on his shoulders. He'll be fine. The worst thing we could do for him right now would be to get lost in the woods. Come now, let's go and see how Kili is doing."

The dwarf wiped his eyes. "You're right, Bali." They went over and found Kili, sitting near the fire and drinking a warm politice that Yanithe had prepared. He had recovered quickly, though he still had a sizable lump on the back of his skull.

"We were ambushed. I thought I heard sounds in the woods, and so we went out to investigate. They ambushed us, I don't know how many. I'll tell you, Bali, that Kaldon is pretty sly fighter; he took us both on until his minions got here. Then we were finished. But wait! I remember, before I blacked out I saw Kaldon leading the others into the woods over by that large elm. Mayhaps you'll find tracks over there." They thanked the dwarf and gathered the others, explaining to them what they had been told.

"Eruantalon, you are in charge until we get back. I want all Gondorians to stay here and guard the camp. The rest of you, follow me." Checking around near the elm, Bali soon found a shrub that had been broken off during the hasty retreat. More signs were soon uncovered as the group moved through the woods, heading toward the enemy camp.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:44 PM   #231
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Burzdol ran ahead of the small party. Through the tall trees he could see a large fire in the cent of a camp. That must be the camp, better have a closer look. The elf crept to where a large oak could easily block his figure to spy on the camp. He poked his head out around the tree trunk,and got closer down to the ground. Kaldon stood in the middle of a group of cloaked men, speaking in a foreign tounge.

The elf returned to his waiting companions.

"Well?" Bali asked upon his arrival.

"There are a few senteries that will be easily taken out. Most of the men are in their tents talking or sleeping or something of the sort. Kaldon has a group of well armed men grouped around him, talking. I say we tak positions. Spread out a round the camp," the elf replied.

"Well, then. Get ready, and on my signal."

The party scattered to a good position. Burzdol sat waiting behind the large oak, thinking. I can't wait for this. I'll get Kaldon back, he thought back to the fight. The elf now drew his sword, getting ready for battle. Now, hurry it up Bali. Where's the signal?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:52 PM   #232
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Bali waited until a few of Kaldon's men had left and gone into their tents. Only five were left around the fire. He soon spotted Dain, poised just inches from Durin's form, ready to protect his son.

He gave the signal. The warriors poured into the camp, yelling and leaping over logs. Kaldon screamed an order and the men inside the tents scrambled out, grabbing weapons.

Bali went straight for Kaldon's guards, catching one a swift blow across the neck. Burzdol was moving in from the opposite side, as elves wreaked havoc with their bows on the sleepy-eyed warriors. Ani Dao's knives were flying into the enemy. The fight would not last much longer.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-06-2003, 02:19 PM   #233
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Ani Dao released two of her knives with a quick flick of her wrist the second Bali gave the signal. The camp was roused, and the men charged at the company in fury. The second pair of knives appeared in the elf’s hands, lighting fear into her opponent’s eyes. With a quick flash, a knife sliced open the man’s throat. Pinching the blade between her two fingers she threw it at another. She flipped over the back of one of the men and sent him flying into his tent with a hard sidekick. Ducking just under a sweep of a sword, she removed two of her knives from a body and sunk them into the man’s bowls. He dropped his sword and clutched at his stomach. With blood foaming from his mouth and drew his hand back for a punch. Ani Dao moved sideways just in time, but was met hit with a kick from behind. It had knocked the wind from her for a moment and a large man, with big black eyes leapt in front of her as she stood. She groped her for knives, only to find them all spent. Then she drew her sword, and held it before her in challenge.

“I’ve got you now little girl.” A burst of sarcastic laughter broke from the man, and his own sword hissed from its scabbard. Wearing a confident sneer, he attacked.

Ani Dao sidestepped the man’s lunge and parried the next several attacks. At once the man decided to change his strategy. At least five inches taller and one hundred pounds heavier than his opponent, he tried to overwhelm his slender foe with sheer physical strength. His heaviest blows were turned aside, and soon the soldier’s face began to betray exhaustion as well as the first icy touches of doubt.

Surprised at her own success with the sword, she smiled confidently. The man stole a quick look around the camp at the people who were fighting. He focused back on the elf, his eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“Who are you?”

Ani Dao laughed. “You’ve never heard my name, I promise. But perhaps you’ve heard of Ahret Ban?” The name didn’t mean anything of course to the man. He smiled wickedly.

“Then you must be lucky with a sword?” he decided. Ani Dao shrugged.

“I am lucky with some things.” Annoyed with the conversation the man was trying to inflict upon her she swung around hard with her sword, trying to knock his from his hands. He parried her move and pushed her up against a tree with his foot. She hit hard and watched as he withdrew a second weapon from his belt, this one a long slender dagger. He lunged toward Ani Dao, feinting with the dagger as he brought his sword around and down in an overhead strike. The elf deflected the sword and sent a hard kick into the man’s ribs. Bones cracked. His eyes bulged with pain, and then went black with anger. He flipped his dagger into a throwing position and propelled it towards the elf. She blocked the weapon with her sword, and it fell to the ground. The man cursed and gripped his weapon with both hands. He came like fire at Ani Dao, thrashing his sword at her fiercely. Squinting against the dust he aroused, she blocked each attack. Rousing the entity of her strength, she crouched beneath his next swipe, and thrust upwards with her weapon, skewering him. Blood spurted onto the ground, and his eyes widened in disbelief before he fell motionless to the ground. She stepped on his mail-covered chest, and removed her sword.

Shivering with disgust, she quickly sheathed her sword and ran quickly around the camp collecting her knives to use once again.

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]
Old 04-06-2003, 02:53 PM   #234
astarielle
Haunting Spirit

Eye

Astarielle loosed volley upon volley of mail-piercing arrows into the attackers until all were spent. She drew her sword, which shined brighty from the light of the fire and flickered red form the flames. Swiftly carving an oncoming enemy in two she hastened to a nearby tent.

Pausing outside the entrance she heard loud voices, shouts and screams. She turned around and caught the attention on Ani Dao, who had just taken out a rather large man, Burzdol whose face was anger stricken and a number of other assailants. With brief hand signals they surrounded the tent, swords at the ready, bows drawn, axes held high and knives poised. They waited, and as if all connected they rushed at the tent at the same time. At all sides holes were being made in the canvas of the tent as the company rushed in.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #235
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Sting

Arlómë picked his targets carefully. He stood on a small rise and observed the battle. He was watching over the company as they fought because he didn't want anyone to be hit from behind. So with his bow and arrows, he watched over the others.

Einen had rushed in, eager to battle. He felt a little guilty for what had happened to Kili and Durin. He had fallen asleep, finally. But his last memory he had was seeing the two dwarves heading off into the woods. So, to make up for it, Einen was busy with the sword. He's doing pretty good, Arlómë thought. Maybe he would like to travel with me after this is all over. He could teach the boy the way of the Ranger.

Ani Dao was having a bit of trouble with a rather large man. Arlómë took aim at the man's back, but he didn't fire. He knew that the elf could handle him. Arlómë searched for another target. He saw a man sneaking up on Burzdol, who was pulling his sword out of a corpse. Arlómë took aim, and fired. The man fell, pierced through the forehead. He had a lot of arrows, for he had taken Einen's since the boy wouldn't need them.

Another man fell with an arrow in him. He noticed the others converging on one of the larger tents. Arlómë wondered where Kaldon had gone for he had not noticed the man escape. Arlómë placed two arrows in the bow and took aim at the tent. He fired...

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: Earendil Halfelven ]
Old 04-07-2003, 08:04 AM   #236
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

As the fight unfolded, Bali watched the guards of Kaldon be overwhelmed by the superior fighting methods of his company. Once again he was proud to fight alongside such great warriors.

He, having no other enemies within axe range, searched around the camp for Kaldon. Having first been surrounded by his body guard, the man had completely disappeared. The dwarf then saw Arlome, aiming an arrow at the large tent left undisturbed. Of course...

Bali hurried over, and readied himself to storm the tent after the opening arrows. Arlome released the shaft and quickly sent another into the tent alongside the first. Bali then charged into it, roaring. What he found was a dead man, pierced by Arlome's arrow, and another that had dodged the volley. Bali dispatched of him quickly.

The fight was soon over, and Bali called the warriors over to the tent. "Look what I have found! This explains everything."

Bali had dug around in the tent, and found not only several detailed maps of the places that the company had been ambushed, but also a diary and a series of letters.
However, everyone knew that Kaldon had escaped.

Bali read one of the letters:

Kaldon,

Within the next few weeks I will be launching my first assault on Erebor. It will consist only of about four-hundred Uruk Hai. But this will be only a taste of what is to come. I have recieved news that Belfalod has betrayed us. Dispose of him quickly, he will probably talk. As for those other fools you have hired, get them out of the way, as well. I will be waiting for you, at Erebor.

Your father,
Galdon Finnlo

"Well, this explains who our real enemy is. So Kaldon is the son of the warlord, threatening our homes. It all makes sense, now. We'd best take these maps, letters, and anything else of value, and head back to camp. No doubt the others will be anxious about us."

The next morning, the company left the camp and headed east again. They had no further problems, except for the occasional spider getting too close for comfort. At last, after five days of travelling, they reached the great castle; that belonging to King Thranduil, the elf-king of Mirkwood. They thus went over to the drawbridge over the river, and hailed the elves overtop the gate. Soon the great doors opened...

Maikafanawen's Post

Gheriwen ran through the woods, her boot clad feet barely touching the forest floor. Like many of the other Mirkwoodians, Gheriwen could find her way through the Black Forest like a spider could its web.

Gheriwen caught her breath in her throat as she swung herself up on a branch. Ascending it with the agility of a cat, she broke the canopy and gazed out over the wood. The wind whipped through her long white-blonde hair as she took in the scene. A thin trail of smoke wound up into the sky. She narrowed her eyes. Silent as a ghost, she slid down the tree and followed her trail back to the palace.

Crossing the bridge, and appearing in front of the gate in the form of a shadow, she whispered the password, and the invisible door swung inwards. She slipped inside and the door shut tightly behind her, blending into its original form. The guards nodded their greetings towards her as she made her way to the throne room of Thranduil.

“Gheriwen,” she said to the bodyguards, “Tracker.” The elf heard the messenger on the other side of the door run to inform the king of her desired audience. About a minute later, three knocks came from the within, and Gheriwen was permitted entrance.

The large double doors opened up into a room, ornately decorated with gold and silver vine motifs that encircled the entity of the room. A thick green carpet led to a large gold chair in which sat a thin, but regal looking man.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On his head was a crown of berries and red leaves, for autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers. In his hand he held a carven staff of oak.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gheriwen fell before him in a long and graceful bow.
“My king,” she drawled. Gheriwen was not fond of the old fashioned king. She preferred to interact with the outside races, though she was the only one in the noble court who thought that. Missing her mocking remark, the king gestured for her to stand.

“Tell me what you will.” Gheriwen told him of the trail of smoke she had spied on the southern side of the forest. Thranduil gazed at her, expecting more. He narrowed his eyebrows then and said,

“Do you have another instinctive feeling—”

“Of something coming my lord? Yes, I do.” She kept her eyes averted from the face of her king out of respect.

“Unfortunately, you have never been wrong. We must have company.” He gestured to his messenger and spoke quickly with him. Then he waved his staff and dismissed Gheriwen. “I am sending out the regular group of trackers: Rhanduin, Syverwen, Ghanden, Perragorn, and you. Bring me our visitors.”

The company was spotted on the second day. Rhanduin, Syverwen, Ghanden, and Perragorn ran back to tell the king. Gheriwen stayed to make sure the company meant no harm, and did not enter the palace until she had the king’s consent.

The company stood at the edge of the forest before it broke away to the little clearing before the great drawbridge that led to the door of the palace.

“Ani Dao,” whispered Bali. “You go.” Nodding, Ani Dao wrapped her cloak around her and emerged from the shadows, making her way slowly towards the gate. Suddenly, like a bolt of lightening from a cloud, an elf shot out of the shadows by the gate and barreled into Ani Dao. Yelling out, Ani Dao recovered quickly and drew her knives. The source of attack was not to be seen. She motioned for the company to stay back and looked around once more. Swinging from the top of the nearest pine, a pair of boots hit Ani Dao in the back, throwing her to the ground. Cursing she rolled over and caught sight of a figure crouching before her in the long shadows. She sheathed her knives and laid her hands out before her palms up, as a sign of disarmament.

“Draw your sword fool,” commanded the shadow. Judging by its voice, it was a she-shadow. Ani Dao peered into the shadows. Two gray eyes stared back. “Fine.” Shooting like an arrow, the figure leapt towards Ani Dao. The assassin kicked out, throwing the figure off her course. The assailant landed on her feet and charged again. Ani Dao threw out a punch that the figure blocked easily. They fought hard for a good minute, giving every kick-punch combination they each knew. Ani Dao had the disadvantage because she did not know whom she was fighting, if she should harm the person, or simply defend herself, and she had been caught off-guard. Finally the figure got the better of the elf and pinned her to the ground, her fist raised in a final punch. The two had rolled into a sliver of light, and the shadow caught a glimpse of the elf’s face. Gasping, she stood up quickly. It was Gheriwen. Ani Dao’s eyes narrowed and she stood as well.

“You!” shouted Gheriwen angrily as she stared amazed at Ani Dao.

“Nice to see you too, Gheriwen,” drawled the assassin. In anger, Gheriwen advanced towards Ani Dao, but an arrow was pointed towards her throat and she stopped suddenly.

“I’d stay back if I were you, she-elf!” Astarielle had emerged as well and was now at Ani Dao’s side. The assassin laughed.

“Very good. But don’t hurt her Astarielle. She means no harm I’m sure.” Ani Dao faced the stone gate.

“Now, Gheriwen, my old friend. How do you open this again?” Gheriwen shouted the password in elvish and the gates swung open to reveal large stone hall. The entire company entered. The guards were young and new, the original having been sent off. Neither recognized Ani Dao. Instead they looked suspiciously at the company. Syverwen snickered at the site of Gheriwen being held at arrow point by another she-elf.

They were brought before Thranduil who welcomed Astarielle kindly, and bid her release Gheriwen. She did so reluctantly then bowed before the king. The elf king ignored Ani Dao. Obviously he remembered her, and also that she had ‘abandoned’ Mirkwood. He looked right past his ex-assassin towards Bali.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Himaran ]
Old 04-07-2003, 01:52 PM   #237
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Burzdol veered off to the side of the company, bidding them farewell. The elf quickly ran throughthe small surrounding area. Finally, Burzdol came to a large house. He ran to the door to knock. An old woman elf called to him to come in. Typical, holding a hospital in the house, the elf thought as he walked in. A hurrying elf told him where she resided and he left the elf to his job.

Upon entering, he saw her applying a wet cloth to a patient's head.

"Excuse me, m'am," Burzdol said.

"Yes," she said turning. An unbelieving expression came on her face, "Burzdol....is that you? Is it really you honey?"

"Yes," he said embrassing her.

"Why are you here? Is it bad.?"

"I am here with a company of friends. We are going to Erebor to help the dwarves with a crisis. Bali is with us. Why don't you come meet the rest?"

"Well, sure. Invite Bali over to dinner if he can."

The two left, discussing old tales. They came into the palace to meet Bali. Burzdol invited him over, then wnt to meet his brother, Annunden.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #238
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

More elves, thought Yanithë. There was no emotion in this thought, just a fact. She walked into the hall looking, but not seeing. She had grown cold. Maybe she shouldn't have taken up this journey. Something in her thought that something knew would happen, that she would make new friends. But, kind as they were, she could not connect to them.

There is Belegond. . .

NO! Banish the thought, here you are, a silly girl.

All of a sudden, she remembered wnat one of the men whom she engaged in battle said, one of Kaldon's men.

"You thin k too much of yourself, girl. There reaaly isn't as much to you as you think. You are just as weak and frail as the rest of your species. And you know what happens to them in the end."

He had smiled an almost toothless smile, and in her anger, she hit him so violently with her sword that she easily beheaded him. Still, there was that grin plastered on his face.

Another thing to haunt her. The man at the gate of Bree, the vision at the stream, and now this. Perhaps this Elvish abode would calm her spirits.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:33 PM   #239
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Sting

Thranduil turned to Bali, and spoke in a voice which did not convey friendship. "What would bring a five dwarves, in company with those of many other races, into my realm?"

But upon his answer, the elven lord's face broke into a happy smile. "Lord, tis I, Bali."

"Good dwarf, I have not seen you since you went off long years ago! My, you have grown. No doubt you come to help your father, and the dwarven lord. They are in a perilous position, and I assure you that my warriors are doing all that they can to help protect the mountain.

But, I have been discortious to my guests. Forgive me, but these are troubled days. Sit, and I will have a meal prepared quickly. Now, tell me of your journey."

Bali related all that had happened on their journey, and how they would sadly be staying for only a few days. They needed to reach Erebor quickly. Soon the meal was prepared.

Bali sensed a tension between Ani Dao and Thranduil, but he did not speak of it. The fact that there were many elves travelling with the company made it a little easier for the dwarves to fit in, and they soon became friendly with the guards of Thranduil's Hall.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #240
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Burzdol talked to his brother, as others of the elven guard. The elf then walked down to King Thranduil's hall. As he entered, he could feel tension from Ani Dao. He took a seat beside her, then listened to Bali talk with the king.

After the dwarf's words with the king, he soke to the elf, "Glad to see you back. Where did you go?"

"To see my mother. That brings me to my question. Do you wan't to come to dinner with us, if we have time?"

[ April 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]