The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Book-crossing in Middle Earth

I have just discovered book-crossing (releasing books into the wild to find new readers, and monitoring their progress on the internet) as a way of possibly sneaking back some living space from the tomes that have take over my home. Much as I love them, I am going to have to set some of them free to find owners who will be able to give them more attention - and just possibly someone might find a work that helps them in some way.

Now this got me thinking that maybe some of Tolkien's characters need to stumble across a life changing book. So I if you could release a book for a character, what would it be and where would you leave it?

So far I want to leave

"He's just not that into you" for Eowyn at the houses of healing ( a slightly embittered Valentine's Day selection there... ) but it may make things easier for Faramir.

Any other ideas?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've heard of this but my hoarding instinct deepens and I feel the urge to protect my books even more. Still, they make excellent sound insulators you know...

How about A Brief History of Time for Saruman. That should cause some interesting ructions.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I've heard of this but my hoarding instinct deepens and I feel the urge to protect my books even more.

What happened to "if you love something set it free?"

And I think Aragorn needs sprucing up so how about "Queer Eye" or similar?

Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I am not quite sure what you mean by this Mithalwen. Unless you come from a far-off land where books are alive (well, that's how I read it!) Released into the wild?

But how about The BFG for Treebeard. It wouldn't change his life but I think he would get a kick out of it.

And Lotho should check out Nineteen Eighty-Four, because he needs some ideas...
Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah but Eomer, I live in the New Forest where ponies, cattle, pigs (during pannage), donkeys and books roam free ( or at least they will as soon as my starter kit arrives).

bookcrossing
n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

the web address is very obvious in case you are interested. You seem to have got the idea very well - I am sure you are right about Treebeard and Roald Dahl. I just love the idea of the world becoming a giant Library and trying out serendipity

I think I will leave some "Horrible Histories" for Gollum ... so he can get he full and gory background to the dead marshes.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Break the Habit- Setting aside the evil ring goes to Smeagol, I think. Hey... why was this book in my library? *looks around shiftily* Um... this isn't what it looks like!

Worst Case Scenario goes to Frodo. If anybody needs a book about escaping from burning cars or giant spiders, it's him.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
Vanwatholiel

Location: In a dark corner of my mind. Don't look at me like that! I never liked you anyway. Stop staring!
Vanwatholiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vanwatholiel
Silmaril Traitor

Okay, I hate doing this, but I have to. I can't resist. For Legolas, he could have two books. "Your Hair and You" and "Feminine Males: Is It Wrong?"
Vanwatholiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
Vanwatholiel

Location: In a dark corner of my mind. Don't look at me like that! I never liked you anyway. Stop staring!
Vanwatholiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vanwatholiel
Silmaril

I have another one. For Frodo, he could have "Fear Factor: Season Two".
Vanwatholiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
bookcrossing
n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.
This is all a good idea but round my neck of the woods I'd be likely to get a dog-eared copy of Take A Break in exchange for my books.

How about Rick Stein's Seafood for Gollum?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
This is all a good idea but round my neck of the woods I'd be likely to get a dog-eared copy of Take A Break in exchange for my books.

All the more reason to take up missionary work .... or to travel more You can go hunting you know - all legal (even after Friday), humane and free of saboteurs. Details of released books are published on the site. I must admit that I wonder if there will be many takers here in Death's waiting room for some of my stuff - I think they may be more into Catherine Cookson and Ulverston large print . I am tempted to see if I can stir things up by realeasing "the bride stripped bare" but that may be against the spirit of the thing.

Magazines are not allowed - if you want to swap magazines you can go to a doctor's waiting room ....

Oh and if Gollum gets Rick Stein. how about the Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall one for Sam - I bet he has more than one way to stew a coney .... in fact ther may well be an oliphaunt fricasee in there..... Merry and Pippin would be devotees of Keith Floyd .

Old 02-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #11
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
For Gimli: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Horses. I think he'll need it before all's said and done.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
For the wargs: Call of the Wild by Jack London.

For Eowyn: Any Joan D'Arc story. Unlike the wargs' selection, this one might have major repercussions.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Magazines are not allowed - if you want to swap magazines you can go to a doctor's waiting room ....
I learned long ago not to touch the magazines in the doctor's. I would come out more ill than I was in the first place. Eyuw. Can you leave confusing books out for people? I'm thinking in terms of obscure Marx tracts and so forth...or maybe some of the bumf they publish at work.

On the cookery theme - How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson, for Arwen. Or maybe Eowyn if we're thinking in terms of self-improvement.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
On the cookery theme - How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson, for Arwen. Or maybe Eowyn if we're thinking in terms of self-improvement.
Meow...... Eowyn's lack of culinary ability is a vicious lie created by the film - unless you were suggesting she needed tips on manhunting .

Since it tends to be elf men who do the cooking (it is often out doors, so it is a barbecue that makes it male ), I would give Arwen, Delia Smith's complete cookery course. Both irritatingly perfect......

Well you could. And you could do themed releases - leave Finnegan's wake at and undertakers..... Government bumf in a public convenience...

Old 02-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #15
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
And I think Aragorn needs sprucing up so how about "Queer Eye" or similar?
Yes, yes, yes!

A gift-wrapped "10 Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives." by the infamous Dr. Laura would be under the tree for Arwen this year.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Eye

Quote:
But how about The BFG for Treebeard. It wouldn't change his life but I think he would get a kick out of it.
Hee hee... wonderful thought...
Quote:
For Eowyn: Any Joan D'Arc story. Unlike the wargs' selection, this one might have major repercussions.
When I was reading a book about Joan D'Arc the only way I could imagine her, was Eowyn.

I'm not quite sure why... The Giver by Lois Lowry for any elf.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dűm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Why does this seem redundant, because I've already started a whole thread on it, but I really think poor little Frodo was really in need of the Hitchhiker's Guide to Middlearth. "Mr. Baggins, we would replace your original Ring with one that says 'Help!' and 'Aragorn, save me!', and you'd never notice the difference!" DON'T PANIC

Or how about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Denethor. "It's a bad idea to set yourself on fire if your sons are dying. Just work through it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<<Et moi, j'ai pris ma tete dans ma main, et j'ai pleure.>> ~Erik

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #18
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Actually, and quite surprisingly I have come across one of these wild a free ranging books, but since it was not to my taste I let it rest on the post office counter where I first "encountered" it. It surprised me in that the place where I live is much, much smaller than the dot representing it on maps of the area, hardly even four corners to it. And although it is tiny I have found a Bookcrossing book and a few Where's Georges as well! But enough of that....

I thought a bit about who I could picture reading what book, and the most persistent yet tasteful image that came to mind was Saruman carrying a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance under his arm. I think the wizard could have used some serious input on the issue of Quality!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:34 PM   #19
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Eowyn could read the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce for inspiration before going to Pellenor fields.

Gandalf should read Belgarath the sorcerer (By: David Eddings) to learn more about sorcerers with a good sense of humour. That might help him when a day is going particularly bad. He needs some of Belgarath's humour in order to survive the battles.