The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2004, 01:20 PM   #281
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots a bankable note

As subtle as "derry dol", my good Númenor.

You have invested your time in the Letters as wisely as Tolkien invested his pension. Pray, give us a fair rate of return on a surety of your own, and see what interest it gathers.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:00 AM   #282
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Low interest rates

What exactly did J.R.R. Tolkien feel was his philological colleagues' reaction to his writing & publishing The Lord of the Rings?
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #283
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

He said that they told him:
Quote:
Now we know what you have been doing all these years! Why the edition of this, and the commentary on that, and the grammars and glossaries, have all remained "promised" but unfinished. You have had your fun and you must now do some work.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #284
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

The last sentence sounds just like my parents.

The floor is yours, Madame Estelyn.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Old 05-25-2004, 02:37 AM   #285
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White Tree

Tolkien was delighted to receive a letter from someone who chanced to have the same name as one of his characters. Who was it?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 05-25-2004, 02:42 AM   #286
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Mr Cotton Wool ...

Erm, off the top of my head, it was Sam Gamgee, wasn't it?
Old 05-25-2004, 03:07 AM   #287
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

If the top of your head suffices for this question, what could the whole head accomplish?! You have both the correct answer and the floor, Saucy.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:15 AM   #288
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question OK, next up ...

Thanks Esty.

The whole head would have been able to look it up if the book had been in the possession of the hands. Other than that, it would have been pretty useless.

Name at least two film stars that Tolkien met. (I am aware of only two, but there may have been more, so a bonus point for every additional film star named over and above two.)
Old 05-28-2004, 02:29 AM   #289
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

I'm going to venture a guess at one name, since I wasn't able to find any information in the biography. (None of the names in the index looked like a familiar film star name to me.) However, I do remember hearing that Christopher Lee once met Tolkien, so I assume he's one of the stars you mean. Can you give a clue as to where I can search for another one?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #290
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Christopher Lee was one of the film stars I had in mind, so you are halfway there.

The other one is mentioned in one of the Letters ...
Old 05-30-2004, 11:56 PM   #291
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

Sorry, but a complete reading of the index of 'Letters' hasn't helped me either - I give up! Unless you think someone else will give it a try before the 10 days are up, you can solve it and pose a new one...
Old 05-31-2004, 06:49 PM   #292
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand A BIG hint

Try Letter #267 ...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #293
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

OK, thanks to that help, I found the name - it was Ava Gardner (and yes, I could have seen it in the index but didn't...). Interesting that she has a name so similar to Sam's family name later on!

In re-reading that particular letter I came across some amusing sentences:
Quote:
I am neither disturbed (nor surprised) at the limitations of my 'fame'. There are lots of people in Oxford who have never heard of me, let alone my books. But I can repay them with equal ignorance: neither wilful nor contemptuous, simply accidental.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:51 AM   #294
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Yes, that one amused me too. It's comments like that which really bring the man to life in one's mind when reading his Letters.

You are of course correct, Estelyn. Please carry on.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:12 AM   #295
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

Traditionally, the Tolkien family manufactured which product?
Quote:
Manufactured Expressly for Extreme Climates
was inscribed on the lid of one...

This is of personal interest to me - I wish I had an opportunity to try one of them!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #296
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
They used to make pianos, although they were long out of that business by the time JRRT arrived on the scene.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #297
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

White Tree

That's right, Squatter; I wonder if any Tolkien pianos still exist? In playable condition, even?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #298
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Which biographer of Tolkien held an academic position vacated by his subject, and where?
Old 06-06-2004, 05:56 AM   #299
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots a possible Leed...

Would that be Thomas A. Shippey, author of The Road to Middle Earth and JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century, who not only taught Old English at Oxford but who also held the Chair of English Language and Medieval Literature at Leeds University?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:02 AM   #300
Spectre of Decay

It certainly would. Bêthberry.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #301
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Pipe More on Tolkien's academic work...

Most of us are aware of Tolkien's ground-breaking essay Beowulf: the Monsters and the Critics. What other essay of his is required reading for students of fourteenth century English?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:58 AM   #302
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Would that be On Translating Beowulf?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:48 AM   #303
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Beowulf is older than that, Esty. Eighth century or thereabouts.

It's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight; a published form of his 1953 W.P. Ker memorial lecture at the University of Glasgow.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 02-01-2006 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Mis-dating of Beowulf
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #304
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

oops! Live and learn, as my old Gaffer says. (...or, that's what you get for guessing...)
Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 AM   #305
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots some other fourteenth century author

I am aware of Tolkien's and Gordon's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knightwhich Tolkien humorously disparaged to his students, but I was not thinking of the Ker article, Squatter (which I cannot find referenced in Appendix C of the Carpenter biography, although my answer is). Try again, if you would.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #306
Spectre of Decay

Could it be Gawain, Pearl and Sir Orfeo, his translations of those three fourteenth-century poems?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 AM   #307
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Alas, no, Squatter. As I suggested, some other fourteenth century author, if we can take Carpenter at his word.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #308
Spectre of Decay

The most likely candidate that I can see is 'Chaucer as a Philologist: The Reeve's Tale', Transactions of the Philological Society (1934)
Old 06-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #309
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Indeed, the very one which Carpenter claims is still required reading for students of fourteenth century Engish dialects. And now, Squatter.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #310
Spectre of Decay

Which useful honorary position did Tolkien hold from 1972 until his death?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #311
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

In 1972, Tolkien received an honorary doctorate from Oxford, and was in the same year dubbed a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire by the Queen of England.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:48 PM   #312
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Those were great honours, to be sure, but were they useful? I think his honorary resident Fellowship in Merton College was of more practical worth to Tolkien, since it allowed him rooms in a college house, with a scout and his wife to look after him. He was also entitled to free lunches and dinners in the college.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #313
Spectre of Decay

Fie on your gongs and doctorates

Estelyn's right: the honorary fellowship at Merton was the most useful of those awards, and for the reasons given.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #314
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I don't think we've had this question on the thread yet: Name the members of the T.C.B.S.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #315
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

That would be Robert Q Gilson, Christopher Wiseman, Geoffrey B Smith and JRR Tolkien himself of course.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:13 PM   #316
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Wasn't davem also a member?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #317
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Mariska has it right! Bb, I'm not quite sure - perhaps you have an obscure 'Letters' reference for that name?
Old 06-15-2004, 01:57 AM   #318
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

An easy one, but I'm not that inspired today...
Name two more school clubs that Tolkien founded.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:10 AM   #319
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Not that easy - it took a bit of research! I hope these are the two you mean:

the Apolausticks ('those devoted to self-indulgence') - started as a feshman at Oxford
Quote:
There were papers, discussions, and debates, and there were also large and extravagant dinners.
the Viking Club - founded together with E. V. Gordon at Leeds University
Quote:
...which met to drink large quantities of beer, read sagas, and sing comic songs.
Some of the verses the two men wrote were later published privately as Songs for the Philologists - wouldn't it be fun to read them?!
Old 06-18-2004, 03:19 AM   #320
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Those were the ones I had in mind, Estelyn!