The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2001, 10:59 AM   #1
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Question 3 Elven maiden's marriages

In the other discussion on the Elvish-ness of Arwen, the 3 unions between Elf and Man were mentioned. This triggered a question in my head: why were it always the brides in such an union who were of Elven decent? Were Elven men to proud to marry a human woman, and Elven women not?

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 11:13 AM   #2
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just a quick thought of mine for now - it may have to do with the loftiness of Elves, and their splendour compared to men. Those three mortals who married an Elf maiden all had to bring an unrealistically high bride price, and earned their wife mainly through their amazing deeds (some also earned an exception from the fate of men in that way, it has to be noticed). Would a mortal woman be able to do the same, if she had to win the love and marriage of an Elf? Note that we are still in the cosmology of Middle-Earth, and that here this very point cannot simply be answered by a 'sure, men and women are totall equal'.
Of special interest to this question is of course the tale of Aegnor and Andreth, but this have to discuss those who have read HoME 10. I believe it throws a good and realistic light on the thoughts of an Elf and a mortal woman in love.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sharku ]
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 01:40 PM   #3
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Great question, I wish I knew more. But I have not read any of the HoME yet.

Also, think of Finduilas' love for Turin, and Melian, the Maia, for Thingol. It always does seem to be the "higher-bred" woman loving the "lesser" man. Very interesting. Somthing I'd never noticed.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

My humble (ha, I know) train of thought leads me to the simple point that Tolkien was a master storyteller, and a large part of great storytelling is romance. I think this offers a fairly tight solution to the query. Classic romance equation: beautiful, sought-after woman + heroic man who is unworthy in worldly matters = true love.

Now, who in Middle Earth is more beautiful than an Elf maiden? I think that the mortal men at question can also be considered more heroic than elves, considering their greatly shortened life spans and the increased susceptibility to the Dark Side (never underestimate the power). Additionally, men are certainly "unworthy" of taking Elven spouses, when materialistic concerns are taken into consideration.

Considering the emotions J.R.R. is known to have had regarding his wife, this particular version of the equation probably was close to his heart.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 11:51 PM   #5
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After living a few centuries they must get bored of the same old, same old! Then a Man shows up, A whole new scenario for them, He falls for her, woo's her, is expected to perform the almost impossible to gain her hand (Tuor being an exception to that I believe, achieves the goal, and they marry. Kind of exciting after several centuries of the same old thing! Just my humble opinion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 09:09 AM   #6
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Plus, if it doesn't work out, he'll be dead before you know it so why not? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2001, 12:13 PM   #7
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hehe [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To be serious though, these three gals didn't just marry those mortal guys, but they even gave up their immortality! So, it seems to have been real love in all three cases!

My question still stands: why did never an Elven guy marry a mortal woman?

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:28 PM   #8
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Idril did not give up her immortality when she wed Tuor. (And what Arwen actually gave up is arguable, she had the right to a Choice of 'immortality' and 'mortality', while allowed the 'youth of the Eldar' and longaevus she only made her Choice once).
Old 11-08-2001, 11:56 PM   #9
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

As was stated in another thread with a similar topic, Aegnor, Finrod's brother and Andreth a human woman loved each other. It is in the Athrabeth in HoME 12, I think, maybe it is HoME 10.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 06:52 PM   #10
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar Elenion:
<STRONG>Idril did not give up her immortality when she wed Tuor. (And what Arwen actually gave up is arguable, she had the right to a Choice of 'immortality' and 'mortality', while allowed the 'youth of the Eldar' and longaevus she only made her Choice once).</STRONG>
Tuor wasn't granted immortality when he wentinto the West, who says Idril still retained hers. She may have followed him in death.
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 02:30 PM   #11
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

JRRT says so. Luthien was an "absolute exception" in being allowed to divest herself of 'immortality' and become mortal.
If Idril was allowed this as well then Luthien would not be an "absolute exception".
Also, while in the mythology it is supposed and not stated that Tuor is granted 'immortality' (accounted among the Firstborn), JRRT notes that the Valar could not alter the fundamental kind of Elves and Men, Eru could and did so in the case of Tuor, just as he did for Luthien.
I would suggest reading Letter 153 to see JRRT's own veiws, as author not narrative translater, on the subject.